More new U2 album discussion!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
All of this talk comparing it to Achtung Baby and it's not even named yet.

So I have a suggestion. How about Achtung Baby: The College Years?

It could feature a duet with Screech and the Zack Attack.

Just because SOME people read the name 'Achtung Baby' as being a direct comparison in quality to U2's best (or second best) album, does not mean that was what was actually said.

'Achtung Baby' is also a benchmark for U2 in terms of what they did to their own sound. Gavin only talked about the new album being their most exciting release since AB. If he meant that it was as good as Achtung Baby, why not just say that? He didn't say that. And Lanois said it was adventurous like Achtung. Once again, his use of that comparison was not a comment on quality - but a change of sound.

And who else (that is credible) mentioned Achtung Baby at all?
Where is the 'comparative Achtung' hype from anyone that is credible?

People around here read what they want to read.
They merely see the name 'Achtung Baby' and jump to conclusions.

I can already see it now...six, eight months from now, a group of fans (led by a certain someone...) talking about how this album doesn't sound like Achtung Baby at all and that the "comparisons" were misleading. Clockwork.

To each their own. I really like NLOTH. To my ears I can't say it's better than AB. I personally think it's their best composition of songs since Zooropa.

In my opinion you're right! But... There are a lot of u2-fans around and.that means a lot of different tastes. So arguing what"s the best album is completely useless. I hope the new album sounds like something fresh and new...

Just because SOME people read the name 'Achtung Baby' as being a direct comparison in quality to U2's best (or second best) album, does not mean that was what was actually said.

'Achtung Baby' is also a benchmark for U2 in terms of what they did to their own sound. Gavin only talked about the new album being their most exciting release since AB. If he meant that it was as good as Achtung Baby, why not just say that? He didn't say that. And Lanois said it was adventurous like Achtung. Once again, his use of that comparison was not a comment on quality - but a change of sound.

This is a really good point. Achtung Baby was not only an excellent album, but also a complete mind-shift. The comparisons are possibly to that aspect of it.

And given that I couldn't find any previous hyperbole from him (not that it doesn't exist, just couldn't find it) at least speaks to this being a more interesting opinion than the typical fluff from all the typical people.

I hope he's right. They need a fresh sound and a new direction, and hopefully Danger Mouse delivered.

That said, these are all known U2 associates/friends we've heard from. Blackwell, Lillywhite*, Lanois*, Friday ... how likely is it any one of them will critisize ?

*interestingly no word from Eno. Has he not listened to DM material ?

This is a really good point. Achtung Baby was not only an excellent album, but also a complete mind-shift. The comparisons are possibly to that aspect of it.

Well, yeah. That is pretty much the point Lanois and Friday are making.

new U2 album brings out all the trolls, but I expect some pretty good trolling. that guy on @u2 is a shitty troll.

That fake Code Zero artwork looks horrible. Like 90s Photoshop 5.0 horrible. Like energy drink can artwork horrible. Did they really expect to fool a anyone with that?

In my opinion you're right! But... There are a lot of u2-fans around and.that means a lot of different tastes. So arguing what"s the best album is completely useless. I hope the new album sounds like something fresh and new...

That's obvious, but then....you can put everything into perspective....

No Line has some (very) good songs and I quite like it. Achtung Baby was groundbreaking, adventurous and so on. No Line, Moment Of Surrender, Fez and Cedars are (very) good songs, but they're no match for Zoo Station, Until The End Of The World, The Fly and Love Is Blindness. Besides Achtung Baby never reaches the lows of No Line (Crazy, Boots, Comedy). In fact, there are no lows at all (in my opinion).

I wonder if AB was released today, it would be as successful as it was?

I don't think so. The early 90s were ripe for reinvention, but we live in the age of gridlock- of no movement. We have a lot more choices in music these days but the market is really splintered. U2 had more of a hold on the popular imagination than I think any band could have now, and that really compelled radio stations to play it and people to listen to it. We have so much available to us via satellite and internet radio that we never have to listen to something that doesn't exactly suit our taste. If they ever did hear it, people would likely just change the channel, or delete the download.

If there even could be a band of U2's stature and cultural cachet now, and if they could get such a radical departure released, there would be no venue for it to be played. Where would it fit on XM or Sirius? with their old audience or the new one? Artists now have to have their niche markets firmly chosen before the record is ever made.

Sounds like this Code Zero business is a riff on the old Project Zero album rumour from a couple of years ago

no fucking album released in the past would be as successful today as it was in the past because the sonic landscape of music isn't the same as it was whenever it was successful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom