U2: Protecting this House since 1976 -> AKA, more new album talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I really feel like if the album was done and things like artwork or packaging were being developed, we would hear something.

U2 works for too big of a company and they themselves are just too big of an organization to pull off some sort of secret release.

It's obvious Bono and the band are toning down the hyperbole, but even in the past when Bono would talk about releasing two albums, we never got it. So this time he's just shutting up about it.

Adam has given us the most detail, and Larry a bit too. But his comment "out by end of the year" is about as much of a generic "leave me alone" comment as I can think of.

If its taken this long for U2 to come up with new music, I think it's more a sign they just don't have the songs and creativity like they used to. Or more the drive. They have families and hobbies. And that's cool.

But always feels like a giant tease with new material. Either you're recording a new album or you're not.

I woke up bleeding again, ribs bruised or cracked, and my head felt like it was in a vice. I started to slowly get out of bed when I realized I was actually sitting in my car, which was sitting in the front yard, mere inches from the large oak tree. Eventually I would open the door and fall down onto the ground, pain riveting through my body and if it didn't hurt so damn bad to scream, I would have awakened the entire neighborhood. Oh yeah, its still dark out, just as it should probably be. I have no idea where i'd been or what happened to me. What I did know is I needed some serious painkillers and some chasers. Assuming I didn't die crawling to the front door. Halfway there I realized my ankle was twisted and throbbing, also I had forgotten to grab the keys from the car, which meant I would have to crawl back. Somewhere the guilty culprit must be laughing at me.

I stopped for a smoke to contemplate my next move when the sky decided to open up and rain on me. Of course, this is just perfect. Reaching into the car I grabbed the keys and also there was a small diamond shaped object attached to my key ring. Was my head still throbbing to bad to make out the markings, or was this some really weird foreign language inscription?

Then it started to come back to me, first in pieces and then a chunk or two, after the rain began to let up it must have been waves. I had to answer them by the morning, or so they told me. The offer of a lifetime awaited, should I choose to accept, to leave this world forever and discover the secrets of the universe. Im all up for adventure and might have been the crazy fucker they were looking for, except, I didn't want to leave her behind. They told me it would be inevitable anyway, and in the long term it would be in my best interest.

I crawled back towards my house, keys and strange object in hand, not sure what I would tell her when I made it inside, not even sure how much longer I would have.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

The alarm went off like a shotgun and I opened my eyes to see her looking over me, smiling. I focused long enough to realize I still had her, and she mentioned that I might want to get up and move the car into the garage. I hopped out of bed realizing I was no longer in pain, in fact I felt just fine. I grabbed the key chain from the dresser and it was just the normal keys, no strange object with odd writing. I laughed to myself, thinking what a crazy dream I must have had!

The garage door opened with the typical racket. I watched it go up slowly, trying to decide if I wanted pancakes and bacon or a western omelette for breakfast. As the door came to a stop, I walked out into the driveway, surprised to see the car wasn't there. Then I looked over to the the right and noticed the car sitting in the front yard, in front of the big old oak tree, drivers door wide open. I walked over to the car, looking down on the ground I could see bits of dried blood on the grass and a small diamond shaped thingy.

A simple note was attached to the windshield of the car, underneath the windshield wiper, ir read "5 minutes". Looking around, there wasn't a soul to be found outside this early on a Saturday morning. The sun was barely up, even the birds hadn't left their nest. That's when I heard the humming sound, faint at first, then it began to reverberate off of the houses and inside of me.

I looked up and the light blinded me. I tried to shield my eyes but it was too intense. I screamed but my voice had broken down into millions of rainbow colored dots which scattered about in all directions. I exploded into an infinite amount of molecules which went to war with dead space and gravity. This is the end as I know it.

As the bright light faded, my vision returned to me ever so slowly. I could hear their thoughts but could not understand my own. They were staring at me and prodding me and had opened me up and made me into a machine. I couldn't control my own buttons or unplug myself. I just prayed for a meltdown. A short circuit. An explosion. Anything.

I woke up bleeding again, ribs bruised or cracked, and my head felt like it was in a vice. I started to slowly get out of bed when I realized I was actually sitting in my car, which was sitting in the front yard, mere inches from the large oak tree. Eventually I would open the door and fall down onto the ground, pain riveting through my body and if it didn't hurt so damn bad to scream, I would have awakened the entire neighborhood. Oh yeah, its still dark out, just as it should probably be. I have no idea where i'd been or what happened to me. What I did know is I needed some serious painkillers and some chasers. Assuming I didn't die crawling to the front door. Halfway there I realized my ankle was twisted and throbbing, also I had forgotten to grab the keys from the car, which meant I would have to crawl back. Somewhere the guilty culprit must be laughing at me.

I stopped for a smoke to contemplate my next move when the sky decided to open up and rain on me. Of course, this is just perfect. Reaching into the car I grabbed the keys and also there was a small diamond shaped object attached to my key ring. Was my head still throbbing to bad to make out the markings, or was this some really weird foreign language inscription?

Then it started to come back to me, first in pieces and then a chunk or two, after the rain began to let up it must have been waves. I had to answer them by the morning, or so they told me. The offer of a lifetime awaited, should I choose to accept, to leave this world forever and discover the secrets of the universe. Im all up for adventure and might have been the crazy fucker they were looking for, except, I didn't want to leave her behind. They told me it would be inevitable anyway, and in the long term it would be in my best interest.

I crawled back towards my house, keys and strange object in hand, not sure what I would tell her when I made it inside, not even sure how much longer I would have.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

The alarm went off like a shotgun and I opened my eyes to see her looking over me, smiling. I focused long enough to realize I still had her, and she mentioned that I might want to get up and move the car into the garage. I hopped out of bed realizing I was no longer in pain, in fact I felt just fine. I grabbed the key chain from the dresser and it was just the normal keys, no strange object with odd writing. I laughed to myself, thinking what a crazy dream I must have had!

The garage door opened with the typical racket. I watched it go up slowly, trying to decide if I wanted pancakes and bacon or a western omelette for breakfast. As the door came to a stop, I walked out into the driveway, surprised to see the car wasn't there. Then I looked over to the the right and noticed the car sitting in the front yard, in front of the big old oak tree, drivers door wide open. I walked over to the car, looking down on the ground I could see bits of dried blood on the grass and a small diamond shaped thingy.

A simple note was attached to the windshield of the car, underneath the windshield wiper, ir read "5 minutes". Looking around, there wasn't a soul to be found outside this early on a Saturday morning. The sun was barely up, even the birds hadn't left their nest. That's when I heard the humming sound, faint at first, then it began to reverberate off of the houses and inside of me.

I looked up and the light blinded me. I tried to shield my eyes but it was too intense. I screamed but my voice had broken down into millions of rainbow colored dots which scattered about in all directions. I exploded into an infinite amount of molecules which went to war with dead space and gravity. This is the end as I know it.

As the bright light faded, my vision returned to me ever so slowly. I could hear their thoughts but could not understand my own. They were staring at me and prodding me and had opened me up and made me into a machine. I couldn't control my own buttons or unplug myself. I just prayed for a meltdown. A short circuit. An explosion. Anything.

Finest prose since Kerouac.

I did forget Window in the Skies. Because I literally do not have a copy of that song, physical or digital. And I am totally fine with that.

Big Girls Are Best is from POP. Produced by Howie B and Flood.

I was looking for totally original U2 songs. North and South is a Christy Moore thing, only written with B&E. Two Shots of Happy is B&E as well, U2 is not credited. I'm Not Your Baby is U2 and Sinead. Although I guess that counts as much as anything with a guest on it.

There was one U2 song in that mix. Boy Falls From The Sky.
And the U2 version evidently was never released.

Treason was never released. And your link doesn't contain anything not already mentioned.

So we can add Waffle in the Skies.
That's a whopping 13 totally original non-album songs released since 2000.

It is my understanding that Moore wrote the lyrics to NASOTR with B&E, but that the music is all U2(and you can hear musical elements of it on the Salome outtakes as well, IIRC), so I think it should count.

I'd also argue for TSOH and IMYB, but I think you're looking for post-2000 stuff so they wouldn't count anyway. Your point is obviously valid, the band have not been prolific over the last thirteen years.

I really feel like if the album was done and things like artwork or packaging were being developed, we would hear something.

U2 works for too big of a company and they themselves are just too big of an organization to pull off some sort of secret release.

It's obvious Bono and the band are toning down the hyperbole, but even in the past when Bono would talk about releasing two albums, we never got it. So this time he's just shutting up about it.

Adam has given us the most detail, and Larry a bit too. But his comment "out by end of the year" is about as much of a generic "leave me alone" comment as I can think of.

If its taken this long for U2 to come up with new music, I think it's more a sign they just don't have the songs and creativity like they used to. Or more the drive. They have families and hobbies. And that's cool.

But always feels like a giant tease with new material. Either you're recording a new album or you're not.

I hear ya, but then again I don't.

So if employees of the label haven't gone against their employers (likely) wish to keep quiet about a potential U2 release, that is more logical than the megalith known as U2 recording anywhere from Dublin to Des Moines to France, and we wouldn't have heard about it? In the age of social media?

Show me a report of U2 recording ANYTHING since that report in June and I'll fully understand this skepticism.

At the same time, if U2 had given up hope of a holiday-2013-release, you could argue that they believed 'what's the rush?' I understand that. But it's just as likely as they scrap the whole adventure as to not go back in the studio and at least try to see if they could get it done. They own their own studio. And if U2 had decided to scrap this album that's effectively their retirement. Is it not? And is there any reason to believe that is the case?

They were reported as working with Danger Mouse in October of 2010.
Think about that.

You really think they are still spinning wheels on this thing? I don't. I think they have been done and want to 'massage the hype as much as possible.

We're gonna know one way or the other fairly soon. I choose to be optimistic. As dumb as that might be. I should know better...I can't help it. But in 2008 and 2003, they were holed up in Dublin, evidently recording and trying. This, to me, reads more similar to 2004 and 2000. Just without any hype.

It is my understanding that Moore wrote the lyrics to NASOTR with B&E, but that the music is all U2(and you can hear musical elements of it on the Salome outtakes as well, IIRC), so I think it should count.

I'd also argue for TSOH and IMYB, but I think you're looking for post-2000 stuff so they wouldn't count anyway. Your point is obviously valid, the band have not been prolific over the last thirteen years.

Fair enough on all of that.

Yeah, I was mostly trying to demonstrate the...I'll call it - fallaciousness - of how much material they had but especially since 1999 when they supposedly wrote so much material. I don't doubt they've got dozens of songs mounted up over the years stretching back to whenever. . But there's no reason to hold on to anything worthy since these remasters. Meaning, from Zooropa on back, I doubt there is anything worth a damn. So POP is really the cut-off, to date. Unless they are trying to cash-grab us on a future box set. Come to think of it, that's probably likely. I'm just being cute...if there is one thing I'll gladly fork over a boat-load of cash for (in the U2 universe) it is a treasure trove of unreleased stuff. My guess...any box-set would contain an assload of remixes. Bo-ring.

By this logic I think we could also argue that some kind of leak would have already happened. Or some kind of legitimate delay information would have happened. We have nothing but some photos of the Electric Lady time and some drunken posts by sillywhite.

We have NOTHING! We have nothing either supporting a release this year and we have nothing supporting a delay. I mean we have a member of the band that may or may not be getting married next month, yet no one can confirm a thing. I think U2, for being a "too big of a company" has done a pretty good job being quiet.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

The mods already reserved a place for this shit.

http://www.u2interference.com/forums/f200/all-of-mrs-garrisons-stories-here-194272.html

On a lighter note, there's only 60 more posts till this thing gets locked anyway, and we still know absolutely nothing about the new album. In fact, I think we knew more several theads ago than we do now. Is that possible? I dunno, you be the judge.

Anyway, I :heart: you all, but I gotta go its getting to be past my bedtime. Or something like that.

XOXO:wave:

I hear ya, but then again I don't.

So if employees of the label haven't gone against their employers (likely) wish to keep quiet about a potential U2 release, that is more logical than the megalith known as U2 recording anywhere from Dublin to Des Moines to France, and we wouldn't have heard about it? In the age of social media?

Show me a report of U2 recording ANYTHING since that report in June and I'll fully understand this skepticism.

At the same time, if U2 had given up hope of a holiday-2013-release, you could argue that they believed 'what's the rush?' I understand that. But it's just as likely as they scrap the whole adventure as to not go back in the studio and at least try to see if they could get it done. They own their own studio. And if U2 had decided to scrap this album that's effectively their retirement. Is it not? And is there any reason to believe that is the case?

They were reported as working with Danger Mouse in October of 2010.
Think about that.

You really think they are still spinning wheels on this thing? I don't. I think they have been done and want to 'massage the hype as much as possible.

We're gonna know one way or the other fairly soon. I choose to be optimistic. As dumb as that might be. I should know better...I can't help it. But in 2008 and 2003, they were holed up in Dublin, evidently recording and trying. This, to me, reads more similar to 2004 and 2000. Just without any hype.

:up:

I'm not, at all, saying that I am in the employ of a shadowy, unofficial arm of the government, ok? Not saying that at all, jesus. But if I were, then it's probable that I had to......neutralize.......three officials employed deep within the governments of various South American countries. "Accidents" will happen.

I was just thinking- the Winter Olympics are in February. Any chance U2 would aim for a spring release to allow the first single to be some sort of Olympics theme or tie-in opportunity?

I was just thinking- the Winter Olympics are in February. Any chance U2 would aim for a spring release to allow the first single to be some sort of Olympics theme or tie-in opportunity?

Seems like that'd be a great opportunity to use an album cut to name the album more popular.

I'm not, at all, saying that I am in the employ of a shadowy, unofficial arm of the government, ok? Not saying that at all, jesus. But if I were, then it's probable that I had to......neutralize.......three officials employed deep within the governments of various South American countries. "Accidents" will happen.

...and this isn't your avatar yet because...?

I think U2 will definitely release a new album by November 19. They will release it as an app and charge a few extra dollars for it. They may even suprise it on us. The app will include extras that you might have seen when you bought an album...lyrics...pics...plus video. Maybe even a music video for the first single. Tickets will then go on sale for their spring 2014 tour. The app could be updated later with many other suprises or videos. U2 are no dummies when it comes to marketing. Of course for the addicts, a vinyl copy or some other promotion will cost us over $100.

That'd be a pretty desperate ploy to drum up some publicity imo. Unless they were commissioned to write a song specifically for the Olympics, I can't see it being a good fit (plus Russia's treatment of the gay community should make it an instant no-no for U2). My feeling is they're either not finished or not happy with the album. I don't buy into the "no hype" theory because, quite simply, most of the world doesn't give two figs about a new U2 album regardless of whether it's publicized or not. They haven't had a proper hit in almost ten years. That's an eternity in the music industry. In fact, the silent approach would probably do more harm than good at this point.

That'd be a pretty desperate ploy to drum up some publicity imo. Unless they were commissioned to write a song specifically for the Olympics, I can't see it being a good fit (plus Russia's treatment of the gay community should make it an instant no-no for U2). My feeling is they're either not finished or not happy with the album. I don't buy into the "no hype" theory because, quite simply, most of the world doesn't give two figs about a new U2 album regardless of whether it's publicized or not. They haven't had a proper hit in almost ten years. That's an eternity in the music industry. In fact, the silent approach would probably do more harm than good at this point.

You hit a few nails on the head there. Ask most people what the last U2 song was and they would say "I don't know, probably Vertigo". And besides us die hards that search for scraps of information, who is even aware that there's an album coming? A lot of people seem to hate U2 these days and it's mainly because of Bono's extracurricular activities.
But having said that, if they were not finished or unhappy with it they wouldn't be lounging around on beaches and hanging with various celebrities - they would still be working away on the album, as every extra month increases their irrelevance that little bit more.

Why would somebody put a Youtube link in an image tag?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom