U2: Protecting this House since 1976 -> AKA, more new album talk

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Creative maths aside...playing live without new music is a bizzare idea. Some dinosaur acts do it but it'd never work for someone like U2. They'll likely quit the day they don't play live anymore.

How is it bizarre? How is performance for performance's sake bizarre?

Are Broadway shows bizzare? Is an orchestral performance of Bach or Wagner bizarre?

Until I hear something different, I'm still going with the September single release and late November album drop. A point that nobody has brought up is I wonder if Universal is pressuring them to get this out, knowing how poor album sales are nowaday's you would think one of the handful of bands left where people would actually by physical units would be a shot in the arm for Q4 sales.

I was just thinking- the Winter Olympics are in February. Any chance U2 would aim for a spring release to allow the first single to be some sort of Olympics theme or tie-in opportunity?

I couldn't see this happening due to Russia's stance on gays.

My hunch says a new album drops in the Fall of 2013. Somewhere in the October/November range.

Is it not the case that the old model of release single to radio, 4 weeks later release physical single, 1 week later release album is now defunct? This is what U2 used in 2004 and even as late as 2009. Now whenever you release a single it is chart eligible straight away, so why wait another 5 weeks before releasing the album? Are 2 Grammy seasons really that big a deal to them anymore? On this basis I still think a 2013 release is entirely possible, even if we hear nothing until late September. Announce and release the single start to middle of October, crank the album promo up towards end of October and release start of November. What's the problem? (apart from not actually having a finished album of course!!).

Were I them, I'd drop right after Labor Day. Everyone will be home from vacation, back at school, and back to regular life. Less chance to get overlooked as it might in the waning days of summer.

How is it bizarre? How is performance for performance's sake bizarre?

Are Broadway shows bizzare? Is an orchestral performance of Bach or Wagner bizarre?

^^This. Though, I will say hearing an orchestra play Bach live, while not bizarre, can be boring. Wagner on the other hand is exciting!

Until I hear something different, I'm still going with the September single release and late November album drop. A point that nobody has brought up is I wonder if Universal is pressuring them to get this out, knowing how poor album sales are nowaday's you would think one of the handful of bands left where people would actually by physical units would be a shot in the arm for Q4 sales.

I'm still on baord with this as well. It would line up perfectly for a March 2014 tour start. Admittedly, though, with how advanced technology is, I am surprised to see it so quiet right now, especially since they were celebrating just finishing up recording just a month ago.

Here is my timeline prediction:

2 September - Official announcement
24 September - Airplay release
4 October - Music Video release
15 October - Physical release
19 November - Album release

Just bored at work right now :reject:

I had this dream last night that U2 released a video and used a youngified version of Bono to recreate The Fly. It was the same technology used to make Jeff Bridges look young for Tron Legacy.

I had this dream last night that U2 released a video and used a youngified version of Bono to recreate The Fly. It was the same technology used to make Jeff Bridges look young for Tron Legacy.
Would be cool if they used "Joshua Tree Bono". I wonder if they have the technology to recreate the "Joshua Tree Voice". That would be asking for way too much, and wouldn't really be genuine, but I wonder if it's possible? :hmm:

Someone from this forum called my church regarding the info in this thread. Who was it?

Shawn, I hate that stuff like that is happening to you, but I hope you have learned a serious lesson about using your real name on the Internet. Especially on a forum where you don't know who you are dealing with.

When was Beautiful Day 1st heard/released? I remember the 30 second clip of BD.

And what about Vertigo?

Shawn, I hate that stuff like that is happening to you, but I hope you have learned a serious lesson about using your real name on the Internet. Especially on a forum where you don't know who you are dealing with.

Shawn Bono would be a good start

That'd be a pretty desperate ploy to drum up some publicity imo. Unless they were commissioned to write a song specifically for the Olympics, I can't see it being a good fit (plus Russia's treatment of the gay community should make it an instant no-no for U2). My feeling is they're either not finished or not happy with the album. I don't buy into the "no hype" theory because, quite simply, most of the world doesn't give two figs about a new U2 album regardless of whether it's publicized or not. They haven't had a proper hit in almost ten years. That's an eternity in the music industry. In fact, the silent approach would probably do more harm than good at this point.

They did tie in some stuff with the World Cup in 2010, probably to drum up some support for their U.S. summer dates that got postponed because of Bono's back injury. I'm not sure if the Winter Olympics would be on a similar level to the summer Olympics or World Cup in the end though. And as you pointed out, the criticism towards Russia could possibly still be an issue down the road too.

we first heard Vertigo on Sept. 23.

That's good to know.

If we're still thinking that 2013 is a possibility at this point, the album release date will likely be around the same time that HTDAAB dropped: late November. Big name artists don't release albums in December, and anything much earlier than that is getting more and more unrealistic with every passing day. October is basically out of the question at this point. It's just too late in the game. That doesn't give enough time to build up the typical U2 "hype machine," or whatever we want to call it.

A late November album means that the lead single would have a good chance of appearing around the same time as the lead single for HTDAAB.

So I'd say September 23rd, somewhere around there, is a good date to look at. One month from today. If we haven't heard the lead single by then, or somewhere very close to that, then a 2013 album is probably not going to happen.

This is all very fucking scientific and it's a product of super caffeinated speculation and giddy excitement for the weekend. Trust me here, everyone. You fuckers.

That's good to know.

If we're still thinking that 2013 is a possibility at this point, the album release date will likely be around the same time that HTDAAB dropped: late November. Big name artists don't release albums in December, and anything much earlier than that is getting more and more unrealistic with every passing day. October is basically out of the question at this point. It's just too late in the game. That doesn't give enough time to build up the typical U2 "hype machine," or whatever we want to call it.

A late November album means that the lead single would have a good chance of appearing around the same time as the lead single for HTDAAB.

So I'd say September 23rd, somewhere around there, is a good date to look at. One month from today. If we haven't heard the lead single by then, or somewhere very close to that, then a 2013 album is probably not going to happen.

This is all very fucking scientific and it's a product of super caffeinated speculation and giddy excitement for the weekend. Trust me here, everyone. You fuckers.

Click clack. I agree Gordon.

That's good to know.

Yes to all of this :up:

ESPECIALLY the December release part.... I used to manage a Consumer Packaging Company and we did some UMG work and it was well known a December release is like a release in a vacuum.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

It is absolutely not, but you keep deluding yourself to believe otherwise, whatever works for ya! :wave:

Originally Posted by gvox

Someone some of us know is with Bono listening to the album RIGHT NOW

I'm not joking

Further tidbits (different source):

Track listing was in fact set last night.

Earth 2030 is an actual song. Most likely a b-side or bonus

This is being relayed to me by a very trusted friend who is hearing it from a friend who works at Electric Lady

Edit: I cannot vouch for the track listing but it matches what was published earlier tonite. Take that for what you will

LOL, whatever you say man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom