MMA Thread part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the JT and Mofo MMA Thread needs a part 2

She's a badass, for sure. So who was that was saying female fighters don't have knockout power? Matt Brown or something?

Sucks about Struve and his scary cardiac shit.

I concur.

Machida is one of those weird fighters where I both hate and love watching him fight. When he attacks, it's awesome. Unfortunately, he spends 80% of the fight doing nothing trying to counter strike, which is awful to watch.

Definitely. Watching a guy do what basically amounts to running away while trying to counter is 20x more boring than Fitch lying on top of someone for 3 rounds. But the Machida in round 4? Scary fun to watch.

I didn't turn off the ipad, and it's Faber vs Cacares that I had to miss earlier. Obviously I know how it ends, but that's cool. I will watch this.

So pretty much all those fights were good enough that I totally forgot (until about 30 seconds ago) that the Wanderlei/Vitor/Chael Circus had fallen off of this particular card.

went to go investigate the bar/restaurant up the road from my house. they used to have this goofy banner out front advertising that they have a bunch of tvs and "make us your sports stop!" and shit. disappointing, they had the fights on (which i could see from the parking lot), so i figured hey, it's a sunday night. there's probably like 2 old guys, sitting in opposite dark corners, paying more attention to their beers than anything else, right? because that's mostly every other bar i've ever walked into on a sunday night. i sort of forgot for a moment that i live in fucking suburbia, and was saddened to find about 20 yuppies eating fried chicken salads and gluten-free cheeseburgers (you know, pseudo-healthy foods), pumping out prime mainstream rock tunes on the jukebox like gems from cake or the red hot chili peppers with the tv muted.

i say down for a beer anyway, since i'd already apparently commited by walking in the door and garnering the attention of two bartenders and a hostess like they knew i didn't belong there, and i didn't want to look as socially awkward and weird as i felt. so far out of my element, i woefully spent 4 dollars on a bud light as i couldn't see the tap or the chalkboard in the obnoxiously dim lighting. since that's what the guy two seats over from me was drinking, suffice to say they had it, and as it's piss water, i could at least finish it quickly enough to GTFO ASAP. before i even finished my shitty beer, someone changed the channel to motorcross, and i got up and walked home.

:down:

Only up side is that I didn't get carded. I hate getting carded, cos then they look at my ID and realize I've been legally old enough to drink for almost a decade, and they feel the need to make a conversation out of it.

Well you missed absolutely nothing with the Penn vs Edgar 3 fight. I don't know wtf that was.

Sent from my iPad using U2 Interference to piss off Cobbler

That bad, huh?

I don't know why I've never seen the other two. I've gone through practically every other Frankie Edgar fight.

Oh good, deep is here. This thread isn't going to get itself to 1k so we can be rid of my godawful, irritating thread title.

That bad, huh?

I don't know why I've never seen the other two. I've gone through practically every other Frankie Edgar fight.

It was an incredibly depressing way to watch a legend go out. BJ hadn't fought in years, hasn't won in 3.5 years, has lost twice to Frankie, and they throw him in immediately with the #3 guy in a weight class BJ has never fought at. I know he wanted the fight and all, but they never should have made it. BJ flat out said in the pre-fight videos he wanted to fight some lower level guys so he could fight Frankie again, and the UFC just immediately throws him to Frankie.

He had some crazy ass fight plan that made no sense. He was standing straight up and doing literally nothing. No offense. He was already throwing the kind of arm punches you'd expect someone to be doing in the 5th round in the 1st. Frankie was punching him at will, taking him down at will, kicking him at will. It was seriously terrible to watch. It made Anderson Silva's losses to Weidman and Hendo's whooping by Cormier look like good fights in comparison. They NEVER should have made that fight.

It was an incredibly depressing way to watch a legend go out. BJ hadn't fought in years, hasn't won in 3.5 years, has lost twice to Frankie, and they throw him in immediately with the #3 guy in a weight class BJ has never fought at. I know he wanted the fight and all, but they never should have made it. BJ flat out said in the pre-fight videos he wanted to fight some lower level guys so he could fight Frankie again, and the UFC just immediately throws him to Frankie.

He had some crazy ass fight plan that made no sense. He was standing straight up and doing literally nothing. No offense. He was already throwing the kind of arm punches you'd expect someone to be doing in the 5th round in the 1st. Frankie was punching him at will, taking him down at will, kicking him at will. It was seriously terrible to watch. It made Anderson Silva's losses to Weidman and Hendo's whooping by Cormier look like good fights in comparison. They NEVER should have made that fight.

Well, that is shitty. I'm kind of glad they changed the channel on me at the bar, then. Jesus Christ.

Good free event on FS1 tomorrow.

Also, not sure if you noticed, but they added all the prior Invicta PPVs to Fight Pass. :up:

I actually thought Wednesday's card was on Saturday and was looking around online, while I was at work, for updates and it took me a few to figure out that the 16th wasn't Saturday.

Watched some of the Invicta fights already. There are definitely some good ones, but I also watched a string of incredibly lopsided affairs.

I actually thought Wednesday's card was on Saturday and was looking around online, while I was at work, for updates and it took me a few to figure out that the 16th wasn't Saturday.

Watched some of the Invicta fights already. There are definitely some good ones, but I also watched a string of incredibly lopsided affairs.

There's a Fight Pass card on Saturday too, I think. Ireland, right?

Yeah, I'm hoping Conor McGregor gets his face smashed in. He irks me.

The first fight of the prelims those ole's were so loud that they almost drowned out the commentary. That was insane. I ended up going to sleep before the main card, which I guess is a whatever distinction since it's all a fight pass card. But you know what I mean.

So I read through some of the old mma thread since I've watched a ton of the old fights that weren't old at the time of the mofo an JT show. I didn't really come to any deep revelations about over saturation or thinly spread, unstacked cards as much as I came to the conclusion that JT needs to come back.

I avoid Rogan's podcast like the plague because 3 hours of bro science and hippie pothead pseudo-intellectual conversations with the host of clown comedians that make up 95% of his guests are not my idea of a good time. But he did get Rickson Gracie to do one, so I listened to that. I liked the whole "look, it's fun to tell stories about the past but I want to talk about the present" thing, I think. Cos Rogan and Bravo were just fanboy-ing out hearing that stuff, like they came to the show to see the band play the greatest hits and and Rickson was like ok, but I'm playing some stuff off the new album as well (you know, if it was music).

I thoroughly enjoy all the podcasts he does with MMA people as guests. I listen to a few others here and there, but they have to have guests or subjects I'm interested in.

Jones vs. Cormier and Weidman vs. Belfort announced today (not the same card, or so I think, just both announced today). Pretty sweet, I look forward to both.

I thoroughly enjoy all the podcasts he does with MMA people as guests. I listen to a few others here and there, but they have to have guests or subjects I'm interested in.

Jones vs. Cormier and Weidman vs. Belfort announced today (not the same card, or so I think, just both announced today). Pretty sweet, I look forward to both.

If you said the mma people who aren't Brendan Schaub, I'd agree. But that's so few of them. :shrug:

I'm way more looking forward to Lawler vs Brown than either of those fights. Unless jones & cormier knock each other out at the same time.

Anthony Johnson
di2TaBw.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom