MLB Lukewarm Stove Edition

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i'd be a very happy person if the phillies signed piazza and put him behind the plate...

the man needs to come to grips with reality and realize that his catching career is over, and that he could still be productive only as a DH. personal pride is getting in his way. :shrug:

maybe if theo added some pearl jam tickets and his gorilla costume to the deal, cleveland would bite.

Piazza should go to the AL where he can DH and catch once a week. He should really hope for a team that plays in HR friendly stadium. If he gets his 500 ABs and plays for Texas or anywhere where the ball flies out, he's still good for 30 dingers

Headache in a Suitcase said:
texas would be a good place but they don't need any more hitters... he should probably just retire, but if he wants to keep playing, it's gotta be in the AL

There will be no use of the R-word at this time please.:shame:

Yea catching would wear him down. I just think Philly has one of the friendliest dimensions and he could make it look like a sandbox.

But I agree the AL is the best place. I would actually love to see him go to the Jays because thats only a little over an hour away from me

randhail said:
Hopefully the Matt Clement 3-way deal is back on. The sooner they can cut bait with him, the better.

Yes, lets hope they can close the deal before the Indians and Reds come to their senses.

piazza is 38 years old... most catchers are in the broadcast booth or managing in the minors by then, he's still trying to play, and he's still semi productive... god bless him, he can play as long as he wants to, but i'd just hate to see him sitting on the bench for some mediocre or worse team, making the occasional pinch hit.

there's nothing sadder than the hero who's past his prime and doesn't know when to quit.

i can still remember sitting on the floor at the fleet center (gotta love the 10 dollar ticket sneak down... fleet center security... it's faaaaaantastic) watching the celtics play the orlando magic, with an aging patrick ewing, my childhood hero, years past his prime, unable to give it up. it was sad. i'd hate to see mike piazza do the same thing... but hey, it's his career... if he wants to keep playing till he's 50, and someone will still pay him, go nuts.

Last edited:
piazza is 38 years old... most catchers are in the broadcast booth or managing in the minors by then, he's still trying to play, and he's still semi productive... god bless him, he can play as long as he wants to, but i'd just hate to see him sitting on the bench for some mediocre or worse team, making the occasional pinch hit.

there's nothing sadder than the hero who's past his prime and doesn't know when to quit.

i can still remember sitting on the floor at the fleet center (gotta love the 10 dollar ticket sneak down... fleet center security... it's faaaaaantastic) watching the celtics play the orlando magic, with an aging patrick ewing, my childhood hero, years past his prime, unable to give it up. it was sad. i'd hate to see mike piazza do the same thing... but hey, it's his career... if he wants to keep playing till he's 50, and someone will still pay him, go nuts.

I know what you mean. I dont want him to play forever by anymeans. But I would like to see him play once more. This would give me that opportunity. I dont think he will cling on......I hope not.

Phillies, Indians reach deal on trade
By Ben Walker, AP Baseball Writer | January 27, 2006

The Philadelphia Phillies and Cleveland Indians reached agreement Friday on a Jason Michaels-for-Arthur Rhodes trade, a deal that could trigger a bigger swap involving the Boston Red Sox.

Rhodes was in Philadelphia taking a physical, two people familiar with the deal told The Associated Press. They spoke on condition of anonymity because the trade had not been finalized.

If the trade is completed, the Indians could turn around and send center fielder Coco Crisp to the Red Sox to fill the gap left when free agent Johnny Damon left for the New York Yankees.

Boston had been trying to send third base prospect Andy Marte and reliever Guillermo Mota to Cleveland.

Trades involving the three teams had a hitch earlier this week when the Indians got an unfavorable medical report on Mota. The righty reliever spent about a month on the disabled list with Florida last season because of elbow inflammation.

Rhodes went 3-1 with a 2.08 ERA in 47 games for the Indians last year. But the left-handed reliever missed most of the final two months for family reasons.

Michaels hit .304 with four homers and 31 RBIs for the Phillies. He platooned in center field with Kenny Lofton.

Michaels recently was put on six months' probation and ordered to complete 100 hours of community service following a fight with a Philadelphia police officer last year.

Crisp was a sparkplug and fan favorite for Cleveland, hitting .300 with 16 home runs, 69 RBIs, and stealing 15 bases.

Mota went 2-2 with a 4.70 ERA and two saves in 56 games last season with the Florida Marlins.

There was a chance Boston catching prospect Kelly Shoppach and Cleveland reliever David Riske, as well as backup catcher Josh Bard could be involved in a larger deal.

redsoxfan said:
I wonder who Boston will add to the deal to sweeten it to Cleveland's liking?

It's sweet enough, but the Sox offered two low prospects as well and the Indians turned it down. Seems they want Delcarmen, and the Sox aren't gonna give him up.

They're already giving them a potential big time player in Marte, and if Mota is healthy enough, a very effective reliever. And Stoppach is well regarded as a young catcher. I don't see why the Indians wouldn't do this, to be honest.

why do the Indians need shoppach with Victor Martinez? he's signed through 2009 w/ a club option for 2010.

The Cleveland Plain Dealer says the trade is done.

Done deal: Indians trade Crisp to Red Sox

8:37 p.m.

Paul Hoynes
Plain Dealer Reporter

The Coco Crisp trade is done, pending the approval of baseball Commissioner Bud Selig.

Left-hander Arthur Rhodes' physical was the only thing delaying the three-team deal, but the Phillies were expected to make the acquisition of the veteran reliever official at 8 p.m.

The Indians received outfielder Jason Michaels in exchange for Rhodes.That allowed the Indians to send Crisp, switch-hitting catcher Josh Bard and right-hander David Riske to Boston for third base prospect Andy Marte, catcher Kelly Shoppach, right-hander Guillermo Mota, cash and a player to be named. Boston right-hander Manny Delcarmen was not included in the deal.

The Indians will receive at least $1 million from the Red Sox. The exact amount is not known, but the commissioner must approve any deal in which more than $1 million in cash is involved.

The trade, which stalled in midweek, regained momentum Friday morning when Rhodes flew to Philadelphia for a physical.

The Associated Press reported the Indians agreed to Rhodes for Michaels portion of the trade pending his physical.Michaels will replace Crisp in left field.

The Indians believe Marte, scheduled to open the season at Class AAA Buffalo, will be their third baseman of the future. They think he could develop into the middle-of-the-order right-handed hitter they've lacked. Shoppach hit 26 homers at Class AAA Pawtucket last year. He will compete to be Victor Martinez's backup.The player to be named would come from a list of prospects made available to the Indians.

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- All-Star catcher Mike Piazza agreed Sunday to a $2 million, one-year free agent contract with the San Diego Padres, giving the defending NL West champions a marquee player they think can still contribute.

Piazza, 37, had considered joining an AL team as a designated hitter, but instead will return to the West Coast for the first time since the Los Angeles Dodgers traded him to the Florida Marlins in 1998.

The deal includes a mutual option for 2007 at $8 million.

Even with Piazza's production at the plate declining, his 19 homers with the New York Mets last season were more than any Padres player hit. Piazza holds the major league record for most career home runs by a catcher.

"The Padres told Mike that he could pretty much catch as much as he wanted to," said Piazza's agent, Dan Lozano.

Piazza is hoping to catch about 90-100 games this season, along with playing some first base and being the DH in interleague games.

I saw that over an hour ago and BAHHHHH. Babe Rith would have a hard time hitting in that stadium. Its a cavern. Yea you get to go to COlorado and Arizona a bit more.

Oh Well.....................Prove me wrong and club 20-30 dingers and hit .280-.290

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- All-Star catcher Mike Piazza agreed Sunday to a $2 million, one-year free agent contract with the San Diego Padres, giving the defending NL West champions a marquee player they think can still contribute.

Piazza, 37, had considered joining an AL team as a designated hitter, but instead will return to the West Coast for the first time since the Los Angeles Dodgers traded him to the Florida Marlins in 1998.

The deal includes a mutual option for 2007 at $8 million.

Even with Piazza's production at the plate declining, his 19 homers with the New York Mets last season were more than any Padres player hit. Piazza holds the major league record for most career home runs by a catcher.

"The Padres told Mike that he could pretty much catch as much as he wanted to," said Piazza's agent, Dan Lozano.

Piazza is hoping to catch about 90-100 games this season, along with playing some first base and being the DH in interleague games.

Mikey's been longing to come "home" for a while...the Padre crowd will warm to him quickly despite his former Dodger ties...he should do good there in the cooler weather, new stadium, great party town...he and Eric Karros still owns property up in Manhattan Beach :up:

he will struggle horribly in that ballpark. bad move for him productivity wise...but i'd go play in san diego any day of the week myself.

i want to know who, exactly, is running the ship out in san diego? you trade loretta for mirabelli, and then go and sign mike piazza.

now all be it, loretta's numbers were down last year... but he was hurt and that is a crappy hitter's ballpark. but if you wanna trade him, fine... trade him. but why trade him for a catcher if you're only gonna go out and sign mike piazza? hell ya fleeced the mets to get mike cameron... they need a second baseman, i'm sure omar would have taken mark loretta off your hands and probably given you a prospect to boot.

:shrug: best of luck for mike, but i don't think this is going to go well for him.

Why would Piazza stay in the NL? Why? If he's healthy, the guy can still hit. Better to be a full-time DH who can be an emergency backup at first and catcher rather than a full-time backup.

i think the whole "piazza will hit again if he becomes a DH" thing is a bit over-rated. sure, i think it would help a little, but frankly at this point i just think he's done and it doesn't matter.

piazza has never had the perfect baseball swing... in fact, his swing is fundamentaly very flawed... he's entirely upper body, very little use of his legs in driving the ball. but piazza was just a freak, so he could get away with it. it's a testiment to just exactly how strong he is/was. as he's getting up in age, he's just naturally slowing down... so while he can still get a hold of one from time to time and send it a long way, those times are few and far between. if he had a more normal type swing perhaps he could still put up big numbers... but when your bat speed goes, it goes... it's almost impossible to get back.

i think the whole "piazza will hit again if he becomes a DH" thing is a bit over-rated. sure, i think it would help a little, but frankly at this point i just think he's done and it doesn't matter.

Perhaps, but it's still preferrable to staying in the NL.

given today's market and the fact that piazza hit 19 hrs which was great compared to other catchers in 2005, I'm suprised he only got 2 million....

looks like the Devil Rays want to change their name....possibly removing the word "Devil".....

anything would help them i suppose........

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom