Mlb 2019

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
This Astros stuff is going great, guys. Good press conference, y'all. Good job all around.

"our opinion is that this didn't impact the game," says the owner.

sure, it had no impact on the game and you spent an entire season doing it just for funsies :rolleyes:

And somehow that is not even the worst thing he said.

"I don't think I should be held accountable".

clayton kershaw threw 51 breaking balls in game 5 of the 2017 world series and didn't get a single swing-and-miss. during the 2017 regular season kershaw had a 44% swing-and-miss rate on his slider, 35% on his curve, and 25% on his changeup.

if the astros had the same swing-and-miss rate as the rest of the league and assuming he threw those pitches equally, the odds of avoiding a swing-and-miss 10 times in a row is 1.4%. the odds of it happening 51 times in a row is roughly 0.0000000372%, or approximately 1 in 27,000,000.

Last edited:
Dave, I am visiting Canada for the first time and going to Toronto this spring. I am going to catch a Blue Jays game, any recommendations while I'm there?

okay, well as far as the skydome goes i would recommend avoiding the outfield concourse unless you want to mingle with a lot of hipsters and people who are there for the instagram pics. last year they converted it into this weird bar that has setups for people to take photos in front of and it's pretty full for most of the game. lots of people buy tickets and just hang out there until it closes after the 7th inning stretch and don't even bother to watch the game, it got really scene-y there last season. maybe they've changed it into something else for this year though, i have no clue.

it's very easy in that stadium to self-upgrade your seat if you're into that sort of thing, as long as they aren't playing the yankees or red sox and it isn't the canada day game. the last game i went to my buddy and i had tickets in the 200 level outfield and we were four rows behind the blue jays dugout by the 6th inning.

the food is quite good there but you can bring any food you want inside the stadium just like any other mlb park. the beer selection sucks in my opinion but that's because i'm a craft IPA snob and the best thing they have there is goose island.

as far as food outside the stadium goes, la carnita is awesome if you like mexican food and it's only like 3 short blocks directly north of the skydome on john street. that whole area around john & adelaide has a ton of bars and restaurants ranging from hooters to swanky fine dining spots.

don't bother with the CN tower but the aquarium that's next to it is a pretty cool way to spend an afternoon. second city is also right nearby on mercer street if you're into standup or sketch comedy. the TIFF theatre is there as well if movies are your thing. if the weather is nice and you don't mind a bit of a walk (or a streetcar ride) you should definitely check out kensington market.

i'm sure there's more things i can think of if you're not staying near the stadium, anitram and elfa no doubt also have some stuff that they could recommend too.

Last edited:
“Count” being the operative word.

scrooge-mcduck-counting-money-victor-minca.jpg

People sure talked about him in the 90s. The three hitters that come to mind most from that era for being the best are Bonds, Griffey Jr, and Thomas.

Perhaps, but his “legacy” as one of the greatest players ever is certainly oddly forgotten about when you consider his peers of equal caliber.

he was the only player willing to be interviewed by the mitchell report investigators and had been an advocate for drug testing since the 90s. i remember there being some players and media types who didn't look very kindly on that when it happened and i think that might have had something to do with the coverage (or lack thereof) that he received in the 2000s.

all of that stuff just makes me respect him a lot more. he was doing it clean in a very dirty era and still putting up those kind of stats.

i dunno about "greatest player of all time" (i might get on board with "greatest hitter of all time") but it's fucking absurd that he's not in the hall of fame (ditto pete rose).

Why does the greatest player of all time automatically have to be a multitool player? The greatest hitter of all time can also be the greatest player.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom