MLB 2013 Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And you didn't even have to talk about Ryan Howard's contract.

As you said the other day, our teams all suck, with few exceptions.

Ryan Howard's contract is literally the second worst thing in baseball behind whatever the hell is going on with Alex Rodriguez. And at least A-Rod just engendered the greatest GM quote about his own player ever, so that counts for something.

That was a great quote.

I'd rather have Howard's contract than Pujols'. Third worst, maybe?

Howard's contract (much like the cheap but insane Delmon Young signing) bothers me more because it's just a picture perfect example of how behind-the-times the Phillies front office is. As Ruben Amaro said THIS YEAR: "I don't care about walks, I care about production." That's the sort of quote that makes you want to throw bricks through car windows.

The Phillies' farm system is in shambles. The narrative has been that Amaro traded away all the talent while trying to squeeze a second title in with that core, but the reality is that there was never that much talent to begin with because the Phillies' scouting department blows. It's beyond antiquated. They don't like walks, for God's sake. They chose Delmon Young over Nate Schierholtz this year. Everything is ass backwards.

Fortunately, they seem to have finally had a good draft this year, but even still they're years away from being competitive again. They should have won the 2010 World Series, but traded away Cliff Lee under the guise of not having enough money, when we now know they most certainly did.

I'd be willing to deal anyone, really. Except Utley. He needs to retire as a Phillie or there is no justice in this world.

They could get a ton for Lee, a good deal for Hamels, some interesting stuff for Brown, and probably little to nothing of serious value from anyone else. Except Utley. Maybe they could trade Halladay for a competitive balance draft pick or something (I think teams can trade the competitive balance lottery picks), so that if Amaro and his crew are let go at the end of the year and replaced with other folks the smarter folks could game the draft and overdraft a couple spots with the extra cash.

You don't think they could get something for Papelbon? There's been a ton of talk linking him to Detroit, which makes sense.

Amaro won't get fired, at least not this year. Manuel is done, at least, but I don't trust this front office to make the proper changes moving forward.

Lee would be the only remotely good pitcher on the market this year, so he could fetch a good return despite his contract (which would scare some teams away).

Not sure if Papelbon would fetch much - his contract is crazy and teams are starting to hesitate more against giving too much for relievers, even elite ones like him.

But you're right regarding their old school philosophy. When the vast majority of teams are getting smarter, not relying on good analysis is a huge disadvantage.

You don't think they could get something for Papelbon? There's been a ton of talk linking him to Detroit, which makes sense.

Totally forgot the Phillies had him. Probably should have hit up fangraphs before talking out of my ass. :) Detroit makes a ton of sense, but they wouldn't give up much for him. They might give up Porcello so they can move Smyly to the rotation, but there's no way the Phillies could pry someone like Castellanos out of them for Papelbon.

So. 2011 draft. All through the Mariners blogosphere, and reports from the front office itself, they were totally in on Rendon. I'm at the point where I'm thinking having drafted Hultzen was a big mistake. Of course, Jose Fernandez looks like he's going to be the best overall pick from that class (barring injury). With Bundy out, Bauer completely unknown at this point, Starling struggling, and Hultzen with arm soreness, though, that class is pretty fucking flawed.

I'd rather have Howard's contract than Pujols'. Third worst, maybe?

In a bubble that exists in Chicago only, I would easily say Alfonso Soriano's contract is just about the worst thing in the entire history of the world.

2014 is a shining light in the distance, the approach of which makes me heart soar more and more each day.

Since we were talking about his contract....

RyanHowardSmrt.gif

http://www.mlbgifs.com/2013/06/ryan-howard-playing-defense-is-the-best/

Well, this is why I have barely watched any Cubs baseball this year. Every time I turn a game on this shit happens. It was 7-1 when I flipped it on :(.

If I hear this fucking song one more time, I'm going to lose my mind.

Yay for 2014 high draft picks! I've read multiple places that next year's draft is supposed to be one of the deepest in recent years. 2011 was also pretty deep and I've read 2014 will rival that.

Also, for anyone watching prospects, Byron Buxton is performing just like Trout did the year after he was drafted. Twins are gonna have a scary lineup in a year or two with him and Sano.

And for the first time in ages, the Yankees may end up with a top-15 pick.

That music is what it sounds like when I walk out my front door each morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom