MERGED ==> Ugh! Hurricanes! + A True Hero

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2democrat said:
I was just watching CNN and the meteorology Rob Marciano was in Biloxi, obviously very shaken up by what he had been seeing...he kept wondering why people had stayed there and whoever was still there needed to get out. This is such a disaster for some of the poorest parts of America.

Terrible

I hope Verte is able to check in soon

My sister in-law lives an hour north of New Orleans. All of her family had evacuated except for her 18 year old daughter. We haven't heard from them yet.

I'm sure verte probably just has no power, who knows how long it will take for her to get it back

I'm sure briarrose that they just have no way to communicate w/ you. I'm sorry, it must be awful for you worrying :hug:

The looting has begun down there. What the hell is wrong with these people? One official has stated that these people need to be treated "ruthlessly." I couldn't agree more.

The reason it's not being stopped is all police are rescuing people. These looters won't hold their stuff for long, as water continues to rise and the city will be evacuated for months. It probably shouldn't be covered as it distracts from the real news story going on down there.

U2democrat said:
I was just watching CNN and the meteorology Rob Marciano was in Biloxi, obviously very shaken up by what he had been seeing...he kept wondering why people had stayed there and whoever was still there needed to get out. This is such a disaster for some of the poorest parts of America.

I'm still catching up here....not heard the latest....didn't know that now both sides of the water protection were gone [last heard in was one side]....:ohmy: :sad: :sad:

U2dem {hello & hugs on a bad day for our country}...one of the major problems {New Orl} is there were many poor people who didn't have the cars, or the money to take serious transportataion outta there.

MY prayers of strength to all who are greiving, who are injured, those who are still physically trapped, who are waiting for news of fam & freinds, to the rescuers, med people and the various kinds of proffessional crews going down there to help.:sad: :hug: :hug:

Last edited:
briarrose said:
My sister in-law lives an hour north of New Orleans. All of her family had evacuated except for her 18 year old daughter. We haven't heard from them yet.

:yikes: :hug: I would hope and do believe that there is a good chance that they are {and verte] too, are just currenty out of abilty to communicate with you/us. ANd will do so when able.....but yes this one of the rings of Hell ...waiting and if you have the tendency to be fighting off excessive worry......... .

stay strong. :hug:

Last edited:
DaveC said:
Jesus, this is a nightmare.

New Orleans is over 80% flooded, they can't stop the water from coming in because it's now filling in from both sides, martial law has been declared in the city, reports of over 90 deaths so far (not counting in New Orleans itself, they can't get in there yet).

Looks like New Orleans is basically gone, at this point. They can't stop the water that's rushing in, can't fix the levee break with water rushing in, the pumps are already overloaded and Lake Pontchartrain just keeps coming. I guess the only things that are left, according to CNN are the areas that are right hard up against the levee on the Mississippi River side, but those are going soon too, it looks like.

Such a beautiful city. Goodbye, New Orleans... :sad:

Oh, my god. Shit...:| :(.

I saw footage of some building burning today, and I saw the flood waters. Man, Katrina really did these people in...

I'd heard that it was going to take a month or more before the areas of New Orleans that are left would have power restored. Geez. And hopefully we'll hear from verte soon, too-wouldn't surprise me if their power was out, too. I bet she's okay.

randhail said:
The looting has begun down there. What the hell is wrong with these people? One official has stated that these people need to be treated "ruthlessly." I couldn't agree more.

Ugh, I saw that on the TV earlier, too. I don't understand that kind of mentality, either :mad:. Some people are idiots. But thank you for sharing that e-mail, MrsSpringsteen...bless those people's hearts. Good for them :up: :).

briarrose, I hope your sister-in-law's family hears from their daughter soon, I hope she's okay :hug:. And U2Girl1978, that story you shared...:sad:.

I just want to go down there and give each and every person who's gone through this a hug. It's not much, I know, but I just want to do that. I don't blame that one meteorologist for being shaken up-I'd be the same way.

Thank you all for your prayers....

We have heard from our relative, and he is safe in the ballroom of a hotel in New Orleans....

They evacuated him out of his room because windows were coming out of the window pain.
'
Anyways...all your prayers are appreciated.

Peace

Dreadsox said:
Thank you all for your prayers....

We have heard from our relative, and he is safe in the ballroom of a hotel in New Orleans....

They evacuated him out of his room because windows were coming out of the window pain.
'
Anyways...all your prayers are appreciated.

Peace

That's awesome news, Dread :up: :hug: :). So glad to hear something good out of all of this.

And you're welcome, too :).

I'm glad to hear that your relatives are in good order, Dread.

I'm sure verte is alright, but probably without power still. It is gradually being restored here in the Birmingham area. We got ours back this morning. Most of the school systems and some businesses were closed today. We ate lunch at a restaurant in Homewood that had limited electricity (from a generator) and was apparently cooking with gas as most of their items are grilled.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic, are you one of those "Spring Breakers" that crowds up "The T" in Gulf Shores at night, hooting and hollering at all the other Spring Breakers, when I'm trying to go get some crab claws at Sea N' Suds? We usually visit Orange Beach that time of year (the rest of the year we stay in Walton County, Florida), but the house we stay at in Orange Beach was still being repaired from Ivan up until June. We have not heard anything from yesterday.

Everyone, please keep New Orleans, the Mississippi Gulf Coast, and Mobile County/Dauphin Island and all of their residents in your prayers. Governor Haley Barbour of Mississippi said yesterday that what he feared most was that they would have a lot of dead people in their coastal counties and it appears that Mississippi has indeed had the most casualties. Governor Riley of Alabama said yesterday morning on the news that all 4 states (including Florida) went into the weekend with a pact: each state would make provisions to prepare for this disaster as if it were to hit their state, and whichever states did not get hit hard would send provisions and assistance to the states that were hardest hit. We are good neighbors down here in the South and I can promise you that we will take care of each other.

~U2Alabama

U2Bama said:
I'm sure verte is alright, but probably without power still. It is gradually being restored here in the Birmingham area. We got ours back this morning. Most of the school systems and some businesses were closed today. We ate lunch at a restaurant in Homewood that had limited electricity (from a generator) and was apparently cooking with gas as most of their items are grilled.

Wow. That'd be so weird...

Glad to hear things are slowly starting to get up and running again for you, though :up:. Glad you're okay, too :hug:.

Originally posted by U2Bama
Everyone, please keep New Orleans, the Mississippi Gulf Coast, and Mobile County/Dauphin Island and all of their residents in your prayers. Governor Haley Barbour of Mississippi said yesterday that what he feared most was that they would have a lot of dead people in their coastal counties and it appears that Mississippi has indeed had the most casualties.

:(. That's so awful.

Don't worry, they've got my support and condolances and all that good stuff :).

Originally posted by U2Bama
Governor Riley of Alabama said yesterday morning on the news that all 4 states (including Florida) went into the weekend with a pact: each state would make provisions to prepare for this disaster as if it were to hit their state, and whichever states did not get hit hard would send provisions and assistance to the states that were hardest hit. We are good neighbors down here in the South and I can promise you that we will take care of each other.

~U2Alabama

That's wonderful :up:. A great idea, it's good to see you all banding together here :).

Somebody at another board I visit posted a link to some places where you can donate money and other things to help the people in the southeast...I'm gonna see if my family can donate something. I want to help, even if it's just a small contribution.

Angela

Good to hear updates from you guys. I still just watch and am a bit awestruck by it all. I guess my biggest problem with all of it is that there are so many people who may have died because they didn't want to be bothered with evacuating. I'm not talking about people that didn't have the means to evacuate, I'm talking about people who did and choose not to. You wonder how much less of a tragedy this could have been.

Last edited:
Regarding the looting, one reporter mentioned how people are entering survival mode. One scary scenario is that if authorities don't start providing the resources needed to help these people, total anarchy could result with, I hope not, people actually killing other people for food, water, and blankets. People living in a modern Western city have different expectations regarding the basics of life as compared to the tsunami victims for example. This tragedy could enter a new level of horror if they don't start evacuating the remaining people from New Orleans especially the thousands holed up in the Superdome. The looting is minor compared to the what could happen when people start entering "survival mode" with a better me than you attitude.

I hope this doesn't happen but stress and fear cause people to do crazy things and justify it.:(

Another note, New Orleans has been waiting for this kind of incident for decades especially with the recent erosion of the surrounding coastline over the past years. If they plan on rebuilding and continuing on, they should contact the Netherlands for expert assistance regarding levees and water protection devices. However, the Netherlands does not have the hurricane factor so maybe this is nature's way of saying close it down now before the next hurricane floods the whole city killing everyone with a direct hit.

The President and GOP congress will surely give the top 5% wealthiest Americans a big tax cut.

It is the only way to address this.

I just talked to my mom and found out that my aunt and her husband who live in New Orleans did get out in time. But their house is sure to be totally ruined. Still, that's a small thing compared to the value of still having their lives. I'm quite relieved.

I'm glad everyone's relatives are safe.

It's hard to take it all in. I wish the networks wouldn't harp on the looting. They always have to harp on something. Many of these people are among the poorest in the US and their behavior is hardly surprising.

The New Orleans Major says the different disaster organizations aren't coordinating well. Communications between them are difficult because of different radio frequencies and stuff. I thought this issue was fixed after 9-11.

I can't figure out why military copters aren't being utilized. They could at least haul in porta pots to the thousands stranded at the superdome.

My prayers for thiose affected

Its really really shit. In the news they say the rescue boats are,.. like, they see dead people floating in the water. And that 200,000 people will not be able to return the next four weeks. This is a disaster. People are looting. Others are still waiting to be rescued on their roofs after 48 hrs. A fucking oil platform has crashed against a bridge. And dams are still broken and the whole city is underwater.

My poor New Orleans :sad: and the poor people :sad:

:( :sad:

So we're just waiting for Verte to check in now...hope you have some art supplies for the duration, Verte! :hug:

Prayers for everyone affected, still. :(

A friend of mine who lives in Florida sent me an e-mail saying he and his wife were okay and that Ohio would probably see more rain than he had, LOL.

oh my God

NEW ORLEANS, La. -- Conditions are far from ideal at the Louisiana Superdome, but for the new arrivals, it's better than what they left behind.

Rescuers are continuing to bring survivors from Hurricane Katrina to the huge sports arena, where the air conditioning is out and the bathrooms are filthy. And there are two holes in the roof, caused by the storm.

There are more than 10,000 people in the arena.

Officials had earlier reported two deaths at the Superdome, and now, they report that someone died Tuesday after plunging from an upper level of the stadium. They say the person probably jumped.

trevster2k said:
Regarding the looting, one reporter mentioned how people are entering survival mode.

This is a very important point. We have to be careful when we pass sweeping judgments on people looting and all. I saw a guy on TV from the area that was wandering around desperately looking for food. If you are in a devastated area, you simply cannot go to the store and pay for basic necessities, because there is no one around and everything is destroyed. Some people might have to just go and take some stuff laying around for survival. I think all of us would do the same in this situation, and we can't judge them too harshly. (I'm not talking about anyone's comments here, mostly how the media tends to treat these topics)

That being said, there is a difference between taking things for survival (food, clothing, etc.) and people steeling jewelry or TVs or what not. There is no excuse for that obviously.

Back
Top Bottom