MERGED --> Real Action + Legal Action? + TAKE ACTION + Bait and Switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
foolish

Corporations thrive on people like you.

"best seats in the house"

Why were third (highest) deck, far away corner (as far from the stage as possible) 10 rows up available for sale?

They can make as many cosmetic changes as they feel necessary while they are in damage control mode, but until the above mentioned issue is explained, anybody involved with this scandal (and I believe it's not the four band members) are nothing but scams, cheats and liars.

Explain how the seats that were available as mentioned above to long-time fan club members were "best in the house" before you issue hollow apologies or make vague promises to fix problems that are not even the central issue.

Had U2.com simply said we'd have access to "tickets" instead of "best tickets in the hosue" there would be no issue in my mind.

Anybody who glosses over this fact deserves to be ripped off. Mindless, happy and dazed people make great customers.

Re: Small Action Vs. Big Action

bostonmike4444 said:

Tickets 10 rows back of the third deck far away from the stage should not have been offered or available to anybody participating in the pre-sale. That is a disgusting and blatant lie. .

And what about the U2.com members that weren't interested in the GA Floor tickets and could not afford the $165 dollar seats? Sorry, no third price point seats for you?

I think what we are seeing is they made a certain amount of seats in every price level (including the third deck) available to the presale. Certain cities were overwhelmed by demand. How would you have personally predicted which cities will have the most demand? There are still fairly decent 100 level seats available in Denver.

The only argument I feel is worthwhile, and winnable, is that they should have allowed demand to dictate how many tickets were made available for presale in each venue. If MSG 1 sells out from presale, so be it.

That, however, is a decision they did not make for whatever reason. I do not think that they made crappy seats available on purpose to scam their most loyal fans. I am sorry, but I am not able to suspend my disbelief enough to buy that one.

By the way, how many tickets have you gotten from u2 onsales in the past? When has it ever been a golden brick road? I know I only got 1 of 18 from onsales on Elevation.

I grasp your public relations knowledge claim. Be that as it may.

Business 101 however states that more demand than supply is a good thing.

To dismiss that U2 is not trying to make this the hottest tour ticket of their careers is stupid. They have never been this uber-fan band that gave away tickets in chocolate bars. Tickets have ALWAYS been VERY hard to get.

I just think you would have a very hard time proving that you got RIPPED off. You have a ticket don't you? You chose to purchase that third deck ticket? If it was SUCH a rip off, you wouldn't have bought it. You know you will sell it on ebay and probably make a profit.

Man, my only point is damn, let the dust settle. I think you will be disappointed in the end that you took such extreme measures. If not, I am wrong, and I apologize and more power to you.

Re: foolish

bostonmike4444 said:
Anybody who glosses over this fact deserves to be ripped off. Mindless, happy and dazed people make great customers.

Nobody is mindless, happy, dazed. We are disappointed, upset, and taking action. We just have enough faith in a system that we have been around a long time that they will do something to make this right.

We are also not depending on Ticketmaster for tickets. We never have. If you are, you are a fool.

Re: Re: Small Action Vs. Big Action

cmb737 said:

By the way, how many tickets have you gotten from u2 onsales in the past? When has it ever been a golden brick road? I know I only got 1 of 18 from onsales on Elevation.

I've only seen U2 during the Elevation tour and since I got a majority of my tickets through Propaganda, I've only had to use an outside ticketing agency twice.

I used TM ( went to an actual outlet) for 2 GA for Lexington. My sister got us 2 tickets for the Las Vegas show and this wasn't TM, can not remember who it was. (The fiasco with them was they started selling tickets before they were supposed to, however, we did get good cheap seats on the side of the stage!)

From I got 2 GA Lexington, 2 GA Chicago and 2 GA Baltimore.

Did I try the Elevation U2 presale on TM ? Yes and didn't get shite! But that was free so I didn't mind that I didn't get tickets since I was a Prop member albeit a new naive one.

This time around I got 2GA Anaheim, not the city of my choice where I want to see U2 but the ones I really wanted to go to were gone in seconds.

You can already tell what's going to happen - band management is going to apologize profusely, and talk about technical problems and the like... all the while never addressing what really happened - very lousy tickets were made available. I didn't know what to do, had no idea about all the problems people were encountering, but figured if I didn't grab them, I'd end up with nothing. So I bought them.

I know Principle Management has their PR staff out there on the message boards doing damage control, it's a very basic and necessary form of communications control for these types of situations, but I won't accept arguments that shift the scope of the problem. The basic promises made by U2.com should never have been made if they couldn't back them up. The claim of "Best Seats In the House" was absurd. They should have had disclaimers and more language regarding just what we were getting ourselves into. A little honesty would have gone a long way. I'm a realist not an idealist, obviously everyone who wanted tickets isn't going to get them.

"Best seats in the house" - it makes me sick that the band made roughly $3.6MILLION selling the right to buy nothing.

Re: Stop crying - TAKE ACTION

bostonmike4444 said:
We were promised access to the "best seats in the house" and we were lied to.

No you weren't. You were promised access to some of the best seats in the house, you were not guaranteed the best seats in the house.

Not to mention the thousands of other fans who signed up were also promised the same access, so it's a simple case of too much demand for the supply available. Obviously those best seats were going to go quickly, so I'm sure they made provisions to ensure that seats were still available for the presale in case the GAs sold out. They shold have had a bigger alottment of GAs, but they did not renege on their promise. They gave access to some of the best seats in the house, and some of us got them. A lot didn't, but then, we here at interference and Zootopia do not make up the majority of U2 fans around the world.

U2.com broke no promises from a legal standpoint. They handled it extremely poorly, yes, but if you look at the wording, they didn't do anything illegal. If you took "we promise access to some of the best seats in the house" to mean "we guarantee tickets for the best seats in the house," that is completely your fault.

Last edited:
Devil's Advocate here -

Ask a U2 fan of 20 years what "The best seats in the house are" and he/she will say GA's are (most likely)

Ask a couple in their forties bringing the kids along the same question, they will possibly say SEATED.

Ask some corporate dickwad in a $2000 suit what "The best seats in the house" are and he/she will say PLATINUM or CORPORATE BOX.

Point is that as much as U2.com screwed up in the handling of the presale situation, both before and after, they did not set a definition of "Best seat in the house". It is entirely subjective and their lawyers will ram that home with gusto.

I'm not defending one party or another, but the law is the law is the law. The membership advertising was worded carefully and remember, every single piece of advertising that goes out is vetted by the company lawyers first. That's not an evil plan, that is simply good business sense in a world where litigation runs rampant.

Just a thought.

Last edited:
Bait and Switch

The seats that I got are the worst in the house. I won't disclose them because I am selling them in disgust but they are in the faraway corner of the stage, highest deck and about 10 rows back. These are CRAP seats. And I paid $100 each for them.

If the general sale has better seats than these, say $100 seats in a section closer to the stage, then why not offer those better seats to the fan club members, and leave mine in the corner available to the general sale people?

The answer is quite obvious.... they know that long-time fans would buy whatever they could. They used the bait-and-switch sales technique. In advertising "intent" in advertising is as scrutinized by the law industry as "truth" in advertising.

It is clear what has gone here. I would not be as angry if I was shut out completely and got no tickets - it's the fact that these shitty, lousy, worst-in-the-house tickets were made available to the pre-sale that has my blood boiling when promised access to some of the best seats in the house. It is disgusting. They should have alotted a percentage of the GA's a percentage of the best $200 seats, and a percentage of the best $100 seats - not the worst ones, knowing they could dispose of them on their most eager fans, and save the good seats for the general sale.

The bait and switch technique is something a sleazy used car salesman would do - never expected it from U2 Corp.

Stop changing the subject - the central theme of my argument has yet to be refuted. The Clear Channel/SFX/industry gang here keep addressing other problems and theoretical scenarios as opposed to why such lousy tickets would ever be made available to the fan club members when better seats are presumably going to be made available to the general public.

Exactly!

The changed seating charts showing stage on opposite end of arena was also a classic bait-and-switch.

"Like a preacher stealing hearts in a traveling show. For love of money money money..."

Re: Bait and Switch

bostonmike4444 said:
They should have alotted a percentage of the GA's a percentage of the best $200 seats, and a percentage of the best $100 seats - not the worst ones, knowing they could dispose of them on their most eager fans, and save the good seats for the general sale.

The bait and switch technique is something a sleazy used car salesman would do - never expected it from U2 Corp.

In order for your shallow assumption to be correct, EVERYONE who bought presale tickets would have had receive similar tickets to yours. This is not true. Some did receive GA's, many bought the $165, and many bought the $98.

What you are saying is that U2 purposefully misled u2.com members into only purchasing seats like the ones you purport to have. This is not true, and you can not possibly prove it. You do not have access to the Ticketmaster system to tell what was available prior to the presale and furthermore some people do indeed HAVE GA's and better seats than you.

You are falsely assuming something you do not know based on your very small and very unscientific research. Let's not even talk about bias.

Yes, it is true that perhaps varying amounts of tickets should have been made available at differerent venues and everyone did not get what they wanted. You were promised reasonable access to the best seats. No promises were made that you were going to get exactly the seat you wanted, in exactly the price range, in exactly the venue. Yes, they were not specific, but it is idiotic to assume that because you and at least 90,000 others have presale codes you are going to get what you want. Some lucked out, some didn't.

I could have purchased tickets to almost any venue (I tried 7) well after the onsale that were FAR superior to yours. Most of them were in the first few rows of the first level. I chose not to because I will get GA's somewhere else.

They specifically addressed certain venues stating they were overwhelemed. What else can they do? Ticketmaster is offering refunds (which NEVER happens) for some venues.

Instead of pulling random quotes off of the internet and text books regarding "bait and switch" and assorted other public relations and advertising terms and posting them, why don't you deal with what really is going on. U2.com made some statements that may or may not have been a little overstated. They apologized directly. If you feel so ripped off, get your damn money back.

Otherwise, leave the goddamn venom in your other 12 posts that you keep starting. We understand you are mad. We don't have to listen to YOU and your used CD rant all the damn day.

U2 is argueably the largest band on the planet with MILLIONS of fans. Sorry they didn't do you right, but hell I will bet my next 6 paychecks they will do something to make it up to the fans. I bet you will be at the show too. I think you are just full of damn message board smoke.

Said my piece.

Bullshit. It is not bait and switch. U2.com said we'd have access to some of the best seats in the house. In otherwords, not exclusive access to only the best seats in the house. Furthermore, u2.com made absolutely NO guarantees that everyone would receive tickets, or that those who received tickets would receive the "best seats in the house." u2.com had reserved some of the best seats in the house (as well as some of the worst, apparently), and some fans got the best, some got the worst. It is not bait and switch. You simply took "access to some of the best seats in the house" to mean that you would get good seats. That's your fault for misinterpreting.

You have no legal ground to stand on.

This is just a typical Ticketmaster presale. These are done by radio stations and other groups for FREE.

What that means is that there are 10% of the tix available. What I want to know, and will never be told, is what percentage of GA tix were available, what percentage of GOOD "golden circle" tix were available etc.

I would be surprised if 10% of GAs for all shows were available. In fact, I'd eat my hat. True, it's not illegal, but it is somewhat misleading.

When someone says 10% of tickets, and "some of the best seats in the house", I take it to mean that we will get at least 10% of the GAs. Maybe I have too high a view of human nature!

When I read U2.com's FAQs about the pre-sale before Tuesday, I must admit I thought one of their answers was a bit weak.

Will I get better seats than the general public?

U2.com have secured some of the best available tickets for U2.com subscribers.

Well yes... some members did get the best available tickets - GAs - while the majority did not.

A plainer answer - 'not necessarily' or even 'probably not' - might have been a little less misleading, and a little fairer for us all.

What annoys me more is not the fact that the tickets on offer weren't that great, but actually that we were misled.

Again, nobody addresses the issue at hand. Why were these lousy seats made available during the pre-sale when presumably better seats in the same price range will be available tomorrow to the general public? It's simple enough.

I wonder what agenda the fervent supporters of the band's policies are pushing. This "defend at all costs" mentality makes me wonder. I guess some people let their idealist fandom take over and mask the reality and indisputable facts of the situation. Or they have a stake in something greater here. Or they're just bored and posting "devil's advocate" type posts for the fun of it.

Seats in the third deck, back corner, 10 rows up should not have been offered for sale in a pre-sale when U2.com's intent was that we would have access to the best seats in the house.

bostonmike4444 said:
Or they're just bored and posting "devil's advocate" type posts for the fun of it.

Bored? Yes. I'm bored of you arguing constantly, all over the goddam place Mike. Your point is taken, agreed with by many, yet you point blank refuse to see any other side of it. In so doing, you are alienating yourself on this board and ultimately from the very people who may have backed you up.

Jesus Mike, I was QUOTED and NAMED in the Scottish national press about this mess. I pulled no punches and squarely accused the organisers of creating this fiasco and milking fans out of cash. So let me assure you that I am not one of the promoter's minions, attempting damage limitation on here. I have cooled off, but I haven't forgotten about those who had a very bad deal this week either. I have been posting links to remaining Uk tix for people here all night, trying in some small way to help as much as I can. Asides from finger-pointing at comments you don't like, what exactly have YOU done to help your fellow fans?

I posted the 'Devil's Advocate' comment, because I would like to see cooler heads prevail here. Cooler heads are clearer heads, which presumably will be able to come up with something more productive than simply pissing over other people's comments.

I AGREE that U2.com royally screwed up on allocation - a fact that they have not contested as their recent statement says. That statement does not absolve them automatically of course, but it does back up much of the criticism that's been thrown at them by us. That's a start.

Time is now required. Time for the management and for U2.com to assimilate all of this backlash, then hopefully, respond with some kind of concilliation measures. If they are indeed pulling tickets back as we speak, then maybe they have got the message and are trying to avoid this again in the coming weeks?

Perhaps it won't help those who did not get tix this week, but can you at least agree that we may in fact have done some good for others down the line? Surely that's not a bad thing?

You're angry and that's accepted. You're passionate about your feelings and that's no bad thing. Don't however, let your anger and your passion continue to overspill, in the negative way it has been tonight.

You're probably a decent guy, so don't give anyone reason to think otherwise eh?

Last edited:
Well said Steve. Especially the part about doing good for those fans down the line. That is the essence of why we are all U2 fans anyway.

cmb737 said:
Well said Steve. Especially the part about doing good for those fans down the line. That is the essence of why we are all U2 fans anyway.

Thanks for that. I'm really not trying to piss people off, but I just felt we could be more constructive right now that's all.

Re: Re: Small Action Vs. Big Action

cmb737 said:

And what about the U2.com members that weren't interested in the GA Floor tickets and could not afford the $165 dollar seats? Sorry, no third price point seats for you?

The only argument I feel is worthwhile, and winnable, is that they should have allowed demand to dictate how many tickets were made available for presale in each venue. If MSG 1 sells out from presale, so be it.

...if Msg sells out.......

now wait a min....
I've been a nearly 24 yr long fan...sometime in '80 when New York Rocker [Maga]Zine alerted me about them. And I've seen nearly every tour except the very first USA one [didn't know/ missed they were touring USA/NYC for the very first time yet], and Pop [as an very visual person I didn't like the look at all, so i chose not to pursue seats}.

However in the last 12 years since serious difficulties and the poorness that has so far resulted from it...I've had to depend on my friends to buy tix for me, when they buy theirs [we go together]. I pay them back over months & months.

I'm the most fervant fan in our friends group for U2 [while they are more fervant for Bruce, and Bruce is a 1 3/4 for me as this point--unless I knew we could get the kind of seats for Bruce we used to get in ?76-78, which we've been way far away from], so I would of been the one to spring for the 40 which I really can't afford on top of the mid-tix 94$ price> I wasn't even going to try to ask them to split the 40$ with me, so I just didn'tr bother.

So if it all went to pre-sale- a long & loyal fan like me who helped to turn my other friends on to them, middle-class when I first discovered them....now poor would have been totally out of the loop to have acess to get a tix. And that's not right either.

Last edited:
agreed...simple point. There is no blanket solution that satisfies everyone.

Save bringing back Propaganda.

Those yea u2.con posts are sure fishy.

Anyway, if it was just the regular radio station presale everybody would be pissed off at the situation of sitting for hours getting that stupid messed up crooked TM "error" phoniness, but we paid money based on it, I can't find anybody who would have paid the money for the fan club otherwise, not worth it. I only join the fan clubs for the tickets.

Give us our money back, and an apology and admit someone screwed up big time and an explanation why, not that stupid phony message on u2.con about "everybody is happy now." No they aren't.

The U2 organization is definitely in danger of class-action litigation for this situation, and they know it. To wit, the lack of response from them except the very carefully worded (yet marvelously vague) post on the U2.com home page about the situation. I'm not talking about the simple risk of being sued, but losing it in a big way. I think that such a case could be a slam dunk in the majority of U.S. jurisdicitions.

Just because some think the U2 organization must have a stellar legal team that could have put together nothing less than an "airtight" sale offer doesn't make it true. Big corporations with dynamite legal teams lose big more than they'd like. No doubt that the U2 team have been talking to their U.S. lawyers in the last few days, and those lawyers are telling them "Brace yourselves. You've definitely got a problem here."

You can right anything you want into a contract/agreement/offer. It doesn't mean that the court will enforce it. All it has to be is substantially misleading, and I sure feel substantially misled.

If the U2 legal team is bracing themselves, they're much more worried about private class-action suits than they are about any sniffing around by the Attorneys General of most states (who are largely paper tigers when it comes to consumer protection issues). Private actions can have some sharp teeth.

With all of that in mind, I just want to be treated fairly in this mess. U2 doesn't owe me anything but to treat me fairly and honestly when I do business with them. Just make it right U2, and we can just go back to where we were four days ago. Is that so much to ask?

Back
Top Bottom