MERGED ---> Kot/Bono Interview + Gret Kot interview with Bono

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
didnt they "finish" the a lot of the songs with the reworked singles and new versions for the best of?

pub crawler said:
[q]...to me the Super Bowl was our Ed Sullivan moment. It just came 25 years later. I didn't expect it. But it is the moment I'm most proud of in my life. It was amazing.[/q]
:| :huh:

Wow, I have a hard time with that one.

me too. :eyebrow:

ohmy thanks so much for posting that biff!

what a brilliant interview! so much to chew on there, and a gorgeously articulate Bono...

from a (imho of course) misguided review (with a lot of hidden agenda, clearly...Bono did not only himself but also Kot a huge favor to clear the air...) comes a really neat bunch of comments and clarifications. Making a hopeful dialogue come out of just negativity, so lovely.

I too would love to see a re-done Pop...I like the old one okay, but I think they could make it better...re-mix away!
I know I'm in the minority perhaps but I really like the best-of version of Discotheque better than the original, for instance..
Comes way closer to their (great new tidbit to me!) ideal of it being their "sledgehammer", I think. (somehow that made me feel a connection between peter gabriel's 'sledgehammer", "steam" and/or "big time" and "elevation" as well...)
And I just love all the statements Bono makes 'in defense' of the new stuff. Exactly. Vertigo is fucking brilliant and new but classic feeling, deceptively simple. And OOTS is new, though again deceptively simple...and maybe a single-to-be, 'tis implied?! I hope so...

love love love this interview!

cheers all!

Last edited:
Folks - The paper has a circulation around 3 million. The Chicago metropolitan area has a population of over 8 million people. Bono is looking ahead on this one. He is so saavy. He knows the power of the press and wants Kot on his side and after this interview, he has him back in his corner. He gave Kot way more than he deserved.

As far as the Pop album - I think the group thought they had a masterpiece on their hands and it kind of slipped through their fingers. Personally, I love the music from Pop; Zooropa is the one I have issues with.

Last edited:
typhoon said:
Lots of interesting bits in there, especially about the "march of equality," "Original of the Species," and Pop being his daughter's favorite U2 album (maybe she can convince him to stop remixing it?).

LOL It would be a great thing if she did!

Originally posted by ImOuttaControl I'd personally love to hear a re-made POP. It's my second favorite album, but the more versions of songs the merrier. I think a lot of people get defensive about the band possibly re-doing some songs off Pop, like it betrays the memory of the album or something. Would people also object if the band went back and re-recorded songs like 11 O'Clock Tick Tock or Out of Control? I doubt it.

I really believe Bono when he says they didn't have the time to put the idea of Pop into full realization. It'd be interesting to see what they could come up with 8 years later.

IMV Songs and albums are the expression of what an artist is at the time of putting them out. That's why I believe that they should be left alone. Pop is a testimony of what U2 was in 1997 as Boy or any other album is of what the band was when it was released. Even if Pop had been given the extra month to round it off, does anybody seriously think it would have been THAT different? It probably needed, as Bono puts it, to be "trimmed of the fat" from the band's point of view - but the idea, the texture, the concept is there. Musicians tend to put a lot of stress on certain details and nuances which apparently make a huge difference to them and the truth is that most people wouldn't be able to even tell the difference.

Re what Bono says about not enjoying the Pop experience I am surprised he puts such a stress on the level of communication that was achieved with this album, since it is a terribly introspective album, the contents of which are certainly not aimed at "massive communication" at least from a lyrical point of view.

As for a "new" version of Pop 8 years later - I'd really skip that thank you very much. The mood the band is in now is absolutely unrelated to the mood Pop conveyed. That's why we now got an album like HTDAAB. "Merrier" versions of the Pop songs would strip them of their original character. If the band feel the need of producing new performances of those songs they can always do that live and if there's an urge to have a recording, then there's always the live album option. In sum I frankly don't think that any new studio version of 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, Out of Control or any other older song (and much less album) would contribute anything of interest to U2's career.

bigwali said:
Folks - The paper has a circulation around 3 million. The Chicago area has a population of over 8 million people. Bono is looking ahead on this one. He is so saavy. He knows the power of the press and wants Kot on his side and after this interview, he has him back in his corner. He gave Kot way more than he deserved.
They sold out every Chicago show, so it's not like they have weak support there. There was no reason for Bono to kowtow to this self-important jerk. Plus, who's to say the jerk is now in Bono's corner? I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's even more anti-U2 in his future articles because he now knows that it gets under Bono's skin.

ultraviolet7 said:

IMV Songs and albums are the expression of what an artist is at the time of putting them out. That's why I believe that they should be left alone. Pop is a testimony of what U2 was in 1997 as Boy or any other album is of what the band was when it was released. Even if Pop had been given the extra month to round it off, does anybody seriously think it would have been THAT different? It probably needed, as Bono puts it, to be "trimmed of the fat" from the band's point of view - but the idea, the texture, the concept is there. Musicians tend to put a lot of stress on certain details and nuances which apparently make a huge difference to them and the truth is that most people wouldn't be able to even tell the difference.

Re what Bono says about not enjoying the Pop experience I am surprised he puts such a stress on the level of communication that was achieved with this album, since it is a terribly introspective album, the contents of which are certainly not aimed at "massive communication" at least from a lyrical point of view.

As for a "new" version of Pop 8 years later - I'd really skip that thank you very much. The mood the band is in now is absolutely unrelated to the mood Pop conveyed. That's why we now got an album like HTDAAB. "Merrier" versions of the Pop songs would strip them of their original character. If the band feel the need of producing new performances of those songs they can always do that live and if there's an urge to have a recording, then there's always the live album option. In sum I frankly don't think that any new studio version of 11 O'Clock Tick Tock, Out of Control or any other older song (and much less album) would contribute anything of interest to U2's career.

The problem with this arguement is that U2 have said throughout the years since Pop was released that the original concept of the album was missed and they'd like to fix that. The current POP is not, according to Bono, what the band had in mind for the album and wasn't finished--so it isn't an indicator of what U2 in 1997 truely invisioned. Who knows, if they had the chance maybe it could be even more of a kickass album. (keep in mind that POP is only behind Achtung in my book)

bigwali said:

As far as the Pop album - I think the group thought they had a masterpiece on their hands and it kind of slipped through their fingers. Personally, I love the music from Pop; Zooropa is the one I have issues with.

I agree with you. Pop is amazing---even though it's my 2nd favorite album it has always felt sort of unfinished to me. In recent times, I've read how songs were rushed like Last Night On Earth having the vocal laid down the day the album was mastered...if only they would have had some more time to finish it, it could very well have been better than Achtung Baby. or The Joshua Tree

Zootomic said:

They sold out every Chicago show, so it's not like they have weak support there. There was no reason for Bono to kowtow to this self-important jerk. Plus, who's to say the jerk is now in Bono's corner? I wouldn't be at all surprised if he's even more anti-U2 in his future articles because he now knows that it gets under Bono's skin.

Bono proved he's tough and confident enough to go face-to-face with people who aren't necessarily going to kiss his ass and have a candid conversation with them. I believe that is a good thing. And I like the fact that there's at least a few somewhat promiment voices in the media that aren't jumping on the "new millenium U2 is the greatest thing since sliced bread" bandwagon. It helps keep the band honest.

Zootomic said:

They sold out every Chicago show, so it's not like they have weak support there. There was no reason for Bono to kowtow to this self-important jerk.

Say you were in a band and on tour and this guy ripped you apart for what you felt were invalid reasons. Would you not want to get your side of the story out there?

Thanks for posting this biff.

Interseting interview. Unfortunately it pretty much explains why I simply haven't found U2's music all that special (for me, obviously it works for millions of others) over the past 15 or so years. I couldn't help but notice that the music that Bono fawns over is the msic that leaves me cold, and the music he dismisses is what moves me deeply. No wonder I'm not feeling "it" from U2.

Oh well, there's always FYM and B&C. They have always have been my favorite forums anyway. :D

ImOuttaControl said:

Say you were in a band and on tour and this guy ripped you apart for what you felt were invalid reasons. Would you not want to get your side of the story out there?
Apparently Larry didn't as Bono says in his "Larry is going to kill me for doing this" quote. I'm sure Larry was of the opinion that they shouldn't give this guy the time of day much less an exclusive interview. Larry is, as usual, correct.

I just wanted to say that I happen to enjoy rap metal. Linkin Park and Kid Rock are a couple of rap metal artists I happen to enjoy, and I hardly think they need to go away.
I just felt the need to get that out in the open after reading the interview.
Thanks for your time. :kiss:

ImOuttaControl said:

The problem with this arguement is that U2 have said throughout the years since Pop was released that the original concept of the album was missed and they'd like to fix that. The current POP is not, according to Bono, what the band had in mind for the album and wasn't finished--so it isn't an indicator of what U2 in 1997 truely invisioned. Who knows, if they had the chance maybe it could be even more of a kickass album. (keep in mind that POP is only behind Achtung in my book)

I don't think that they ever actually said that the original concept was missed - it even isn't what Bono is saying in this interview, but rather that the album was unfinished i.e. that it needed some extra polishing - he's actually saying that what had to be done required just an additional month, which is consistent with a "lacking the final touch" idea. No more than that could have been achieved in a month. Perhaps it could have been a yet more powerful album, I can't say, but somehow I have the feeling it wouldn't have been much different overall.

I enjoyed reading the transcript of it. I was glad Bono discussed some of that, although it wasn't really necessary to prove anything. He made some great statements though. I totally agree with what he was saying about people saying someone is a sell out. Quite a few of those people don't even know what being a sell out truly means.

Wasn’t “Running” about drug abuse? Now it’s a tribute to the military? Please.

The only people who understand this tribute are those that have read "U2 at the End of the World". This idea of relating RTSS to soldiers was introduced to Bono by Jerry Mele (Chief of Security during ZooTV). Mele grew up in NY and served in Vietnam. He came home from the war with a drinking problem and a drug habit (yes, RTSS is about drugs). He broke his habit by tying himself to a bed and telling his mother not to untie him, no matter how much he begged or screamed. This story inspired Bono to tie BTBS and RTSS together. If you've seen the Sydney ZooTV show, then you know that Bono wore a military uniform while performing these 2 songs. It is a VERY powerful tribute. Once the Vietnam war was over and the military had gotten what they wanted from these young men, they discarded them and sent them back home with PTSD and drug habits. Each night of the Vertigo tour, Bono is dedicating RTSS to those individuals who will serve their country only to be used and then forgotten. I don't think that's corny at all. U2 tend to suffer alot from misinterpretation, and this is just one more example of where most people don't get the point b/c Bono doesn't explain it in concert.

As for Radiohead, I am a fan of theirs, but just how relevant are they? To computer geeks and rock critics they are relevant, but they are not an influence on pop culture at all. They are off in their own corner. They've sold 5 million copies in the US total (their entire career). That's just not enough to be considered a force on today's musical landscape. I love their music, but rock needs some bands that can actually relate to the larger audience.

Last edited:
Zootomic said:

Apparently Larry didn't as Bono says in his "Larry is going to kill me for doing this" quote. I'm sure Larry was of the opinion that they shouldn't give this guy the time of day much less an exclusive interview. Larry is, as usual, correct.

That doesn't answer my question that if you were in a band and critiized would you respond?

Larry is larry. He's always been a dick in terms of interviewing and the band explaining themselves. so why would it be different now? I don't take Larry's point of view as being correct in any matter or means.

ImOuttaControl said:

That doesn't answer my question that if you were in a band and critiized would you respond?

only if the criticisms were seemingly legitimate.
meaning the critic was just misunderstood about X,Y,Z rather than getting X,Y and Z and STILL being overly critical.

Like you could see how someone might think U2 are playing it safe and if you hold on to ridiculous idealism, maybe you think they "sold out".

Maybe Bono just wanted to say
"your idealism is absurd, dont you see it?" and "hey, we are trying to play pop songs that matter, get played on the radio, to matter, not to make money, we don't need money. We don't even need to make albums anymore. "
paraphrase of course

If I released an album and got bad critical reviews that just said "hey, this music sucks" That's one thing, and it's entirely subjective.

To say "his intentions were this and this and that" and to get THAT wrong, would be enough to piss anybody off.

ImOuttaControl said:
Would people also object if the band went back and re-recorded songs like 11 O'Clock Tick Tock or Out of Control? I doubt it.
Yes, I'd object to that. I'm not being contrary, that actually sounds like a horrible idea. Fuck the past, kiss the future.
ImOuttaControl said:
The current POP is not, according to Bono, what the band had in mind for the album and wasn't finished--so it isn't an indicator of what U2 in 1997 truely invisioned.
Pop captures a moment, for better or worse. It isn't perfect, but it's too late to change it. The moment's passed. U2-of-2005 can't match U2-of-1997's vision. Let it be.

And frankly, the band's embarrassing themselves by apologizing for the damn thing so much. The future's the other way, guys.

(Oh, and so this doesn't turn into yet another Pop flame war (or yet another flame war in general), let me make it clear that I understand your opinion and respect it, I just see things differently.)

Last edited:
Zootomic said:
This is the original article, right? It's critical (though not even entirely), but I don't think he's being a "self-important jerk." You can disagree with people without them necessarily being jerks, y'know.

typhoon said:

This is the original article, right? It's critical (though not even entirely), but I don't think he's being a "self-important jerk." You can disagree with people without them necessarily being jerks, y'know.

I didn't find the original review that bad at all. But I guess that's because I tend to see music more as Kot does than as Bono does (based on the original review and this new interview). I do find U2's promotion too excessive for my taste, and I tend to ignore very heavily promoted work and seek out not so promoted work.

Of course I realise I'd not the norm with that, and I'm not even saying that which is heavily promoted is always bad (it isn't -- although some -- just think about some of the "top" artists out there -- is truly dreadful), it's just that the promotion itself is a major turnoff for me.

But I've always been contrary. :wink: :D

I think it was a top interview, a real insight into the mindset of Bono on his music and the man definately made the right decision in holding it.

I honestly right now feel like the band is about to hit the crest of a wave. We all know that the band's best music has come as a result of some sort of turmoil or personal insight, and right now, with the Edge's daughter's illness, Bono wanting to write songs that REALLY matter and the band looking to right some wrongs in the world and in their own fanbase, that over the next 3-4 years we could see two albums.

And I think that they are going to be like nothing we've heard from them before (except Mercy, as this is the vein I see them heading).

Music with soul, passion and sadness. THAT is what really matters, like Achtung, like the Joshua Tree and like (despite Bono's best efforts to refute), Pop.

I'm excited.

I feel that Bono was being too sweet to Kot. I know that he see's everyone as an equal and that is such a gift to have that insight. Especially in a world that just hates so much. God bless Bono for everything that he is and does. I am not a big fan of Pop and Zooropa. I have been listening to Pop lately and I wish I could've liked it more back in 97. I just didn't like all the hype and the concert was way over the top for me. I like what they are doing now , getting back to the basics. I feel that ATYCLB was a safe album that they made. I think it was a great move for them because it gave them a chance to explore again. I feel that if ATYCLB wasn't made, U2 would have fizzled. As for Bono, he does not have to explain himself to anyone or anything. He is the only person who I see that is really trying to make a positive change in this world.

Last edited:
Bring me the head of Kot.

Actually, I don't really care about him, but the interview was good in the way that Bono in Coversation was. Anytime you get people challenging rock stars, it's fascinating. And rare. HOWEVER...

They're both right. I love that Bono has these lofty goals for rock and can't see in any direction but up. But I also love the late Pavement & Radiohead & a lot of other bands that don't want to bother appealing beyond their base. Radiohead has a different personality than U2 and there is nothing wrong with it. At the same time, I don't have any problem with Bono calling them out (and I'm sure Yorke doesn't even care).

With all of that said, I love the line about rap-metal. Big fans of Bizkit, Park & Rock may be good people, but they still need help. :huh:

Last edited:
Zootomic said:

Agreed.

Bono basically gave the critic credibility by doing this interview, he basically stooped, his ego must be getting more fragile in it's old age.

I do find the "Bono's wrong about Pop" posts hysterical though.

Bono: "We could have done a better job if we'd had more time"

Apologists: "No, you're wrong, we know better, you couldn't have done it better".

funny

Personally, I'd rather they make a completely new album than just fiddle around with Pop some more.

As for OOTS being a single, I can't see many of my friends getting into it. I didn't think they'd like SYCMIOYO either, and I was right.

I think ABOY would make a much better global single. But hey, they've been doing this for 25+ years, I reckon they have a pretty good idea about which songs are the best to release.

Back
Top Bottom