MERGED->GA rules and setlist details posted! + why 2 lines + I'm gonna miss lining up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does anyone here really think that arena security is going to do a good job with this? They couldn't line people up and let them in one at a time last tour. This is a lot more complicated, and if U2 hasn't hired dedicated line management for it could be a huge fiasco. It's like the poster who mentioned he used to work at venue security, these people are poorly paid to do only one thing: work security. They aren't trained for all this numbered line and wristband crap.

kweber7 said:

How am I selfish? U2 isn't going to be touring that much longer. They're getting old, and every tour could be their last.

And you want them to change for you? The fact that you've already got to see them GA once before is more fortunate than many others, including some that have been fans longer than you've been alive.

macphisto23 said:

There is never a cant that you cant overcome in life, yes I can say this for everyone, anybody that truly wanted to be there camping out, could in fact find a solution one way or the other to there problem. Planning ahead has alot to do with it, but still there is always a way to make it work!

Oh, please.....

Do tell me how I can camp out for Staples then, given that I HAVE to be in Manila on that day......

Why don't you take a break from calling people names and consider the fact that some people have jobs where certain times of the year vacation time can't be used, have jobs or obligations that don't allow for planning way ahead, just try and think outside your little high school or college world of yours.

Why should fairness (the person who works hardest, in this case sacrifices their lives to wait the longest...gets the most reward) be sacrificed for extenuating circumstances? I understand that some people won't be able to get out of whatever...but that's TOO BAD. They give you months ahead of time. Other people are making sacrifices. Why should they be punished? Why, if I can wait outside the night before should some yuppie in his business suit be able to walk up 5 minutes before and get a better spot than me by luck of the draw? All this because a few people have extenuating circumstances? Ridiculous.

There's nothing "fair" about a lottery system. It punishes those who work hard and wait the longest so that anyone can walk up and have an equal chance.

I bet the arenas wanted this so they don't have to be responsible for people waiting on their property all night. It's not in the interest of "fairness"

Re: Re: Re: Perspective

quasi1970 said:

True. But there are some things, like concerts, where, in my opinion, it's not reasonable to get upset if you have a ticket to the show that gets you into the building. Whining that you aren't allowed to wait all day in line to be in the front row is ridiculous.

as i said before, i have no problem with the band wanting to do a lottery system. however, i am upset about the fact that this GA policy was not- and still HAS not been- revealed to the fans earlier. we bought tickets expecting one thing, and now it's completely different. that's pretty deceptive.

Last edited:
macphisto23 said:

The people that can't camp out, are the people that just dont want to camp out, or go through the trouble. Anybody who has a GA ticket that really wanted to be up close would get work off a months head of time, they would find a solution to the problem, wether they have to watch kids, they could get a babysitter, or maybe you have to fly in from a far off place, fly in a day earlier. Im not saying that the fan that is there is a better or bigger fan, just a more devoted fan, that is willing to sacrifice his time, to get a good spot on the floor. But please no more excuses for people that cant camp out or whatever, there is always a solution!

uh...no. not always. i'm as big a fan as anyone here, but i'm also a medical student and will be in neuroanatomy during the fall. if i have a late exam the same day that i have GA tix to a show (which i could very well have...we don't get our schedules until august...) does that mean i am somehow less deserving of decent GA 'seating'? at least the lotto will give me and others who are in similar circumstances a fair chance.

Do tell me how I can camp out for Staples then, given that I HAVE to be in Manila on that day......

GO TO ANOTHER SHOW. How many are there in CA total? 10? 20? Find someone to trade with. U2.com or U2tours.com

You people are ridiculous. Somehow you twisted this new policya round to be "fair," when it's only fair to the one out of 10 people who can't plan ahead...and to yuppies who don't feel like waiting in line.

uh...no. not always. i'm as big a fan as anyone here, but i'm also a medical student and will be in neuroanatomy during the fall. if i have a late exam the same day that i have GA tix to a show (which i could very well have...we don't get our schedules until august...) does that mean i am somehow less deserving of decent GA 'seating'? at least the lotto will give me and others who are in similar circumstances a fair chance.

Talk to the professor. Simple. I'm going to be a medical student as well. I'd talk to the professor.

kweber7 said:

Why should fairness (the person who works hardest, in this case sacrifices their lives to wait the longest...gets the most reward) be sacrificed for extenuating circumstances? I understand that some people won't be able to get out of whatever...but that's TOO BAD. They give you months ahead of time. Other people are making sacrifices. Why should they be punished? Why, if I can wait outside the night before should some yuppie in his business suit be able to walk up 5 minutes before and get a better spot than me by luck of the draw? All this because a few people have extenuating circumstances? Ridiculous.

There's nothing "fair" about a lottery system. It punishes those who work hard and wait the longest so that anyone can walk up and have an equal chance.

I bet the arenas wanted this so they don't have to be responsible for people waiting on their property all night. It's not in the interest of "fairness"

I completely agree with this post. Remember, there are 15,000 SEATS in these arenas. So anyone that can't wait all day, well, they actually have thousands of tickets for you. Also, General Admission MEANS first come first serve standing room only. I say this based on the many shows I've seen that were GA. (u2 and otherwise) Like it or not, this is no technically what the public should even expect with a GA ticket. It's a floor lottery ticket. (as someone else pointed out) People should be a little upset as it really is a case of rug pulled from under foot. They KNEW everyone would be expecting the same deal as every other GA show they've been to. Why wouldn't they?

kweber7 said:
Honestly, you aren't that big of a fan if you can't make plans ahead of time to call off work or avoid other obligations to camp out.

I DON'T CARE THAT YOU'RE FLYING TO ASIA. GO TO ANOTHER SHOW.

How many shows are there? 50? 70 so far? You are getting your tickets MONTHS IN ADVANCE. I just bought my Cleveland tickets for December. DECEMBER. That's 8 months away. 8 MONTHS.

MAKE PLANS. Don't be a pussy and say you have other obligations. Get out of them. Period.

jeez...enough of the vitriol already. this is a forum to discuss, not name call.

The only good thing about this policy is that it's going to bring GA prices way down if it holds up. I still need two tickets for my group for the Cleveland show.

kweber7 said:

No one said anything about fairness. Just like getting tickets in the first place isn't about "who works the hardest". I just think it's ridiculous that you think you "deserve" a spot in there more than anyone else. I'm no "yuppie in a suit", but certain times of the year my job doesn't allow me to use my vacation time no matter how much advance warning.

This isn't about fairness this is about security, venues, etc all venues will be moving to this method.

The OOTS said:

That's ridiculous...and comical.

Actually, as ridiculous as it sounds, it's the truth. There are a few people, who go well out of their way to make plans for shows like this every four years or so.

It may be a huge strain on their jobs, bank accounts, etc..., but it's a hobby and passion for them and they look forward and plan for it WELL in advance.

I think GA is probably the last/only way for many hardcore fans to be up close and personal with their favorite band without having to dish out an obscene amount of cash (which many may not have) or relying on luck (ie a line lottery).

Simply put, those willing to do whatever it takes to make it to a show and plunk their butts down on the concrete outside the venue for 15 hours to be first inside should be able to do just that...

All about the effort at this point...

Last edited:
I agree that it's about security. They don't want to be held responsible for what goes on in the line overnight. They don't want to be sued in lawsuit America. Fair.

But tell us BEFORE tickets go on sale, so if we have a big group going we know to get seats instead of GA in case we get divided up. The most ridiculous thing about this policy isn't the lottery itself, but the fact that you can only bring in one person with you. Although I don't think any lottery is fair, it would be MORE fair if they said "everyone gets a wristband." They pick a number. Say it's 243. Numbers 243-443 get in. If number 443 has someone with him/her, they get in too to the egg.

Why can't they do this?

kweber7 said:

no offense, but this is the typical mindset of someone who's in college and has never been out in the 'real world'. i was there once, and it's a neat place to be. however, it's not reality. the bottom line is that we all have circumstances and obligations that must be met, regardless of what opportunity may arise.

Simply put, those willing to do whatever it takes to make it to a show and plunk their butts down on the concrete outside the venue for 15 hours to be first inside should be able to do just that...

I couldn't agree with you more.

kweber7 said:

Talk to the professor. Simple. I'm going to be a medical student as well. I'd talk to the professor.

well, you'll soon discover then that sometimes you're not able to give something like a concert a priority over real-world commitments.

innominata8 said:
no offense, but this is the typical mindset of someone who's in college and has never been out in the 'real world'. i was there once, and it's a neat place to be. however, it's not reality. the bottom line is that we all have circumstances and obligations that must be met, regardless of what opportunity may arise.

I'm not in college (in fact well beyond those years!) and I do live and wok in the "real" world and I agree with KWEBER. There are reserved seats for those who's schedule won't allow them to sit in a GA line all day...

As disgusting as it's going to sound, and I'm sure I'll get flamed for it...

Many people (many of whom wouldn't even admit it to themselves) a U2 concert IS a priority! :ohmy:

Last edited:
beatlesboy said:

Actually, as ridiculous as it sounds, it's the truth. There are a few people, who go well out of their way to make plans for shows like this every four years or so.

These are the people that U2 would rather not see in the front night after night after night.

Thus, the GA lottery. Everyone gets a chance.

Great job U2. I'm behind ya!

kweber7 said:

GO TO ANOTHER SHOW.

Good answer, but to a different question.

Question: How can I camp out for Staples on 4/5 and 4/6 when I HAVE to be in Manila ?

I have 5 other shows lined up this year, but that's not the answer to the question I asked.

Supposedly there is a way I should be able to prove my hardcore-ness to camp out for the 4/5 and 4/6 shows, still waiting for an answer though....

kweber7 said:

You people are ridiculous. Somehow you twisted this new policya round to be "fair," when it's only fair to the one out of 10 people who can't plan ahead...and to yuppies who don't feel like waiting in line.

Last post I saw was from a med student who couldn't make it, that's quite a yuppie.

As for me, maybe I might have been one 15 years ago.....

beatlesboy said:

As disgusting as it's going to sound, and I'm sure I'll get flamed for it...

Many people (many of whom wouldn't even admit it to themselves) a U2 concert IS a priority! :ohmy:

it's not a function of making the concert a priority; for everyone here i think it is. it's a function of there sometimes being commitments that can't be broken, moved, ignored, etc... and the bottom line is that people shouldn't be ragged on by others because they may have these commitments.

The OOTS said:
These are the people that U2 would rather not see in the front night after night after night.

Jeez, if someone (I myself wouldn't) is willing to camp out in a GA line night after night and sleep on the concrete to be up front, more power to them, they deserve to be in front, you can't buy that experience for cash...

Blue Room said:
The floor holds about 2000, not 1000. Elevation it was 2000 for every show except Boston because the Fleet Center was nervous about the GA and they had the additional space needed for the cameras for the first 2 shows there. So it was reduced to 1500 on the floor.

I may get stoned for this, but I like the idea. Even though I'm not really doing the GA thing this time out it would have been wonderful on the 3rd leg of Elevation. Weather was shitty and wasting a whole day freezing my ass off is not my idea of fun.

I dont think there is going to be some huge uproar over this like some of you seem to think. Most fans just show up and do what the security staff tells them. What was nerve racking on Elevation was whether or not people were going to crowd in front and bum rush the doors, happened on many occassions. This solves that problem completely at least. Plus, you get to go enjoy your day sightseeing or whatever and look forward to the show!

I agree with BR (Mark that down :) )

I think it's a good way to do it for this tour. Last time, the band got sick of seeing the same old people at the front of the stage the whole tour. This gives everyone that has a GA ticket the same chance as everyone else without creating huge lines. Early in the Elevation tour it was somewhat realistic. Get there before noon, you would get in the heart. By the end of the tour 100's of people were there before dawn. Is that fair to the folks that had tickets to later dates?

At the end of the day, you shouldn't have "expected" anything. Just because they did it a certain way last time, doesn't mean they would do it the same way this time. Where on your ticket or official website even said there was gonna be a Egg? We didn't even know FOR SURE that there was one until last night when fans (Me!) got to see the stage for the first time.

If you want the "fan experience" of waiting all day in line, show up early. Doesn't mean you'll be first in the egg or whatever, but the joy of hanging out with fans is just that. Not the chance of getting in the front row. (that's a different experience!)

See you all tomorrow at 3pm!

These 'yuppie' comments are so offensive. Actually, just plain stupid, reducing anyone who works to not a true fan status. And you know what? You can plan your life around a U2 show and think you've got it all together because you saved your money, got the time off, got the tickets and you know what? Unexpected shit could still happen to delay you from getting there early--weather, automobile problems, canceled flights, illness, a hundred other things. Would that make you not a 'true' fan? Tell me that the fan who bought their first U2 record before many on these boards were even born and who has to negotiate kids, family, ageing parents, budget restrictions, hotels, airfares and long distances to get to a show, who might still not get there early in the day and is damn lucky to get there at all, is not a 'true' fan. That argument is so unbelievably childish. And I'm not even talking about me--I'm free and single and can do what I want but I am aware that not everyone walks in my shoes. So these 'yuppie' comments are making me really glad there's a lottery system. Kinda separates the mature from the not.

kweber7 said:
The only good thing about this policy is that it's going to bring GA prices way down if it holds up. I still need two tickets for my group for the Cleveland show.

Why because all of a sudden being on the floor at a U2 show is a bad seat? You're ridiculous.

innominata8 said:
it's a function of there sometimes being commitments that can't be broken, moved, ignored, etc... and the bottom line is that people shouldn't be ragged on by others because they may have these commitments.

I understand perfectly that a few people have reasons why they can't sit in a GA line and that's OK, but everyone else's spot on the floor shouldn't be left up to luck because a few can't be there in line..

Again, that's why there are reserved seats...

joyfulgirl said:
These 'yuppie' comments are so offensive. Actually, just plain stupid, reducing anyone who works to not a true fan status. And you know what? You can plan your life around a U2 show and think you've got it all together because you saved your money, got the time off, got the tickets and you know what? Unexpected shit could still happen to delay you from getting there early--weather, automobile problems, canceled flights, illness, a hundred other things. Would that make you not a 'true' fan? Tell me that the fan who bought their first U2 record before many on these boards were even born and who has to negotiate kids, family, ageing parents, budget restrictions, hotels, airfares and long distances to get to a show, who might still not get there early in the day and is damn lucky to get there at all, is not a 'true' fan. That argument is so unbelievably childish. And I'm not even talking about me--I'm free and single and can do what I want but I am aware that not everyone walks in my shoes. So these 'yuppie' comments are making me really glad there's a lottery system. Kinda separates the mature from the not.

exactly. :wink:

beatlesboy said:

OK, but everyone else's spot on the floor shouldn't be left up to luck because a few can't be there in line..

Like getting GA tickets in the first place wasn't left up to a little bit of luck?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom