MERGED --> Enough Rope interview discussion here + November it is!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
All that "Australia leading the world" thing. Clearly the man hasn't schooled up too far on John Howard. The guy won't do a thing unless there's something in it for him (or Australia) in return. Bono is going to have to prove to him that going for that .5 is going to get him something hard in return. Like access to a natural resource or something. :mac:

Earnie Shavers said:
All that "Australia leading the world" thing. Clearly the man hasn't schooled up too far on John Howard. The guy won't do a thing unless there's something in it for him (or Australia) in return. Bono is going to have to prove to him that going for that .5 is going to get him something hard in return. Like access to a natural resource or something. :mac:

I particurly liked the bit when Denton says"i bet you say that to all the countries you meet!:flirt: "

Earnie Shavers said:

That part of the interview bothered me. It's like 'which direction do you take'. All me being cynical though. Or maybe not. I'm sick of celebs and others wanking on with how great Australia is, ehen their every action speaks volumes in another direction. You can't wax lyrical with us leading the world when you've just finished talking about meeting with the pope, and many Bush stories but have never met John Howard. If we are so valid and valued, lip service aside, then why not meet our pissy little PM? After all, he met the bloody pope.

Angela Harlem said:
I thought he was uncomfortable, anxious almost. I thought if he weren't so familiar with interviews it'd have been worse. Dunno what for though, and it might have been just me.

I think he only ever really looks comfortable in 'soft' interviews, some young MTV girl lobbing him questions about how many pairs of sunglasses he owns or something. Any interview like this, he tends to look like at any moment he's going to leap off the couch and jump out the window.

When Denton talked about the "eyes being the mirror to the soul", I thought his response for the main reason he wore glasses was quite heartfelt and touching.

He said he gives everything of himself when he writes songs or sings on stage and the glasses are basically his one last defence ...... his only shield.

Earnie Shavers said:

I think he only ever really looks comfortable in 'soft' interviews, some young MTV girl lobbing him questions about how many pairs of sunglasses he owns or something. Any interview like this, he tends to look like at any moment he's going to leap off the couch and jump out the window.

Scientology :drool:

Hate to read too much into the last sentence here....

Bono has revealed that U2 plan to reschedule their cancelled Australian tour dates for this November.

Speaking about the rearranged dates, he continued: “It will be the only time, you know, we get a chance to play these songs for a long time, it will be extraordinary.”

Last edited:
Bono's reason for hope from the Australian Government might be because the only Australian MP or Senator he has met would be willing to raise the funding to about 5.0 instead of 0.5. :wink:

Angela Harlem said:

That part of the interview bothered me. It's like 'which direction do you take'. All me being cynical though. Or maybe not. I'm sick of celebs and others wanking on with how great Australia is, ehen their every action speaks volumes in another direction. You can't wax lyrical with us leading the world when you've just finished talking about meeting with the pope, and many Bush stories but have never met John Howard. If we are so valid and valued, lip service aside, then why not meet our pissy little PM? After all, he met the bloody pope.

No, I understood what he was saying. I just think he was a bit off base with a few subtle and not so subtle shifts in this country since the last U2 tour here. As a tiny example, you wonder if Bono tuned into the ABC this evening to see how that turned out, and caught 4 Corners beforehand. Not the shining example of the things he spent most of the Popmart showing praising this country for, and I personally feel like it's a very different place. Striding around confidently? Economicaly yes. Relaxed and comfortable?

timothius said:
Bono's reason for hope from the Australian Government might be because the only Australian MP or Senator he has met would be willing to raise the funding to about 5.0 instead of 0.5. :wink:

Word.

Earnie Shavers said:

No, I understood what he was saying. I just think he was a bit off base with a few subtle and not so subtle shifts in this country since the last U2 tour here. As a tiny example, you wonder if Bono tuned into the ABC this evening to see how that turned out, and caught 4 Corners beforehand. Not the shining example of the things he spent most of the Popmart showing praising this country for, and I personally feel like it's a very different place. Striding around confidently? Economicaly yes. Relaxed and comfortable?

What was on 4 corners! :reject: I missed it ,i was watching Desperate Housewives! I caught the end of media-watch!!!
?question....who's watching media-watch!!!:hmm:

I must be tired. I read all that 5.0 and 0.5 and could only think of booze buses and random breath checks :lmao:

Remember Bono was comparing Australia with Canada as societies that could/should lead the world (as examples to others, not in raw power) in the future. Some things about the two countries are still very similar, some were a decade ago but are now very fucking far apart.

Earnie Shavers said:
Remember Bono was comparing Australia with Canada as societies that could/should lead the world (as examples to others, not in raw power) in the future. Some things about the two countries are still very similar, some were a decade ago but are now very fucking far apart.

Interesting......meaning?

u2wedge said:

Speaking about the rearranged dates, he continued: “It will be the only time, you know, we get a chance to play these songs for a long time, it will be extraordinary.”

I wouldn't read too much. It will be 6 months after the last Vertigo concert and the standard couple of years or so till the next tour after those shows. It's an island of 10 x U2 Live in the middle of nothing, but the regular period of nothing. It will be quite unique.

Earnie Shavers said:

Intersting. Anything other than the obvious, foreign policy, relations with America and environmental policy?

I just watched it, quite impressive, although is was very heavy on Religion and Politics and Aids and Third World Debt. I just hope it means something to fellow Aussies. Certainly shows Bono knows what he's talking about! Great to see Denton has a good knowledge of the history of U2 as well.

Earnie Shavers said:

Dont mean to nitpick, but a country which would strive to make 0.5 of the hoped for 0.7 is hardly fitting with this comment but more in broader context also bullshit considering how conservative we have become over time. You are exactly right that 10 years ago it was truer, yet we'd have been possibly less in a position to have done as much.

"He promised that the rescheduled shows would be something special. ‘It will be the only time, you know, we get a chance to play these songs for a long time, it will be extraordinary.’"

what does this mean??? Does this mean that it will be the same songs as vertigo 1,2,3&4??? For a long time??? As in another 4 years before they tour again...

So many questions!

Back
Top Bottom