MERGED--> ALL DISCUSSION U2 on Conan O' Brian this week

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
LemonMelon said:

carson.jpg

Ugh. Don't see the appeal AT ALL in this dude.:mad:

And, is it me or did the band seem almost "tense"? I know they're not butt-slappers, but it just felt cold for some reason. Bono never looked at Adam or Larry. I have a bad feeling. Am I wrong? :(

Canadiens1160 said:

I gotta agree with you here.

None of the stuff was funny, the interview was dry, Bono seemed very uptight for some reason, maybe nervous, but the whole thing made me smile perhaps once or twice. Hell, Craig Fergerson doing horrible George Bush impresions made me laugh more than Conan, and I usually like how Conan handles the interviews.... Heck, could you imagine Craig introducing the band as "My Naughty Little Donkeys: U2!".

"In The Year 2000" didn't make me laugh once, in fact, they did just what I hope they wouldn't do - make unfunny jokes about U2 songs.

The ONLY redeeming segment was OOTS live, with strings, and the Edge on guitar.

That made the whole show worth it for me. :drool:

I agree with everything you say here; in fact I posted the same in another thread that got closed.

I usually love conan's humor, but conon's humor + u2 = not so funny for me. I know they can be hilarious in interviews (ala zootv) but this time they were weird. and the year 2000 thing was embarrasing; (the booberry cereal thing: awful).

I didnt really like the interviews. Conan doesnt really ask questions he just rambles. Bono was a bit on the serious side but thats cool. I thought that the performances were great though. OOTS was amazing. Lots of energy from the band. I thought overall it was a good show.

Conan talking to the fans was really funny too.

kellyahern said:

You could? :eyebrow:

I thought his delivery of that line was pretty funny :giggle:.

That whole skit was funny!!! Edge did a great job!!

I also love the voice Bono did when he was mocking someone...does anyone know who Bono was mocking? He said something about the crowd at a U2 concert waving like feilds of corn:p

wow...so much stuff to read thru here...
I thought the performances were fantastic, all of them. OOTS was really great, but then I also loved loved ABOY! And stuck! Edge was fab, Bono was totally on, etc.

The interviews were lame-ish, but I blame that all on Conan. I mean, not to diss him, but he's never ever been a great interviewer to say the very very least. He never seems comfortable with his guests, unless he totally doesn't respect them and is mostly ragging on them and that's not a really fun scene either. I've never been big on his humor either, so I thought the skit stuff was as good as it could be from him.
The fan bit was funny, and its that kind of stuff conan does best with really. He's neither great at asking interesting questions, nor at letting the guests just sort of shine, so I think given that context the boys did very very well with the interactive portions..

And the performances were great and well presented set-wise/camera-wise too. It really had the feel of watching them in a small club type venue...what fun!

cheerio..

Well,im glad to see some people here agree with my thoughts of the show. I just can't understand why conan wouldn't try to get a laugh out of bono or anything. Actually he made a couple of atempts but bono wasn't having any of it. The thing is when i watch conan i expect it to be light hearted and funny and it almost always is and they just blew it i think with u2.

did anyone noitce Bono emphasize the word 'secret' (he was kind of uncomforatable) when he was talking about the dead cowboy idea. this makes me think they shot a 'secrets' sketch with bono for future use. Did anyone else catch that?

ok, ok, i havent read through the 20 pages of posts

but my 2 cents :

im not even gonna talk aboutt he band, in my opinion, they did well

but as for conan, having watched his show tooo many times i feel he was too much in awe...he was listening to intensly which is cool but he wasnt his usual self in the show...he acted more retrained like he was worried that he would make an ass out of himself which are usually the funniest moments in the interview..

Elevationg2u, your right. I understand Conan didn't want to look retarted in front of bono. I sure as hell wouldn't. But i think he was uncomfortable because bono was so uptight that im sure rubbed off on him.

I still cant find any video I appreciate the help you guys....From what it sounds like it was great a show..I love conan and U2 so ...

KId Karma said:
I still cant find any video I appreciate the help you guys....From what it sounds like it was great a show..I love conan and U2 so ...

sorry about that:

entire show here:

http://u2torrents . com/torrents-details.php?id=1151

I thought you just wanted clips, and that site should have the Year 2000 but up soon!

Acting Baby said:
did anyone noitce Bono emphasize the word 'secret' (he was kind of uncomforatable) when he was talking about the dead cowboy idea. this makes me think they shot a 'secrets' sketch with bono for future use. Did anyone else catch that?

I don't get the reference since I don't watch conan hardly ever...yeah the 'secrets' bit was inscrutable. Bono came off like he was really unhappy about a revelation of some sort, but then it also sort of seemed like he was playing around, hard to make out...

I really don't see how they were uncomfortable really. Larry at first didn't seem to want to smile...it was sort of funny when they all sat down initially. I actually heard myself say aloud, c'mon larry give a smile! but that's how he always is, no?
adam seemed relaxed, edge seemed very relaxed, bono seemed more uptight than the others in the parts early on ((I thought he seemed more relaxed later, when alone...as he was getting thru it, etc), but hell Conan did some lame humor. The hair clips, the fat clips, those were just sorta stupid. Yeah, yeah, another look at that mullet bit. that's gotta be dull as doorknobs. yeah, larry, did you start the band? yeah, bono, did you want to be the lead guitarist? no way, really? even then though they pulled thru it pretty damned well--larry laughed through the bits about the larry mullen quartet and writing on his bass drum...it felt a little forced to the fanbase maybe but it came off okay I thought. Bono even gave him how he would have been road crew, taking care of the equipment, but he wasn't very good at that. Sure, he didn't give guffaws or big wide smiles, but these comments and questions from conan were barely amusing...and the late night aesthetic tends toward small talk banter, it's not very cozy.
and
yeah, maybe there was a weird tension in conan...he respected and was in awe of the lads so much that he didn't want to do his usual level of razzing and challenging, but then neither did he adopt a fully embracing squee-y i'm-not-worthy genuineness about either the humor or the interview questions. That must have been hard for bono and co. to play off of, and that came thru at least a bit. They surely tried though, and there were some good moments, like the Jesse Helms comment (I didn't think bono was mocking him actually, but conveying how Helms responded to the show, lol...it was sweet I thought, how Bono told it), and the Ireland being a 'tricky culture' exchange. I just think Bono's response to Conan there, with the 'tall puppy' bit (?) showed a bit of fear really in the whole latenight tv call and response game. it's a diss-y dynamic, and it's not one U2 tend to do, it's not issues-oriented, nor is it seriously music-oriented, it's celebrity-oriented, and that's not the lads' comfort zone, is it?

cheers...

Last edited:
Good letter bort! :up:

OOTS was great! :love: and Stuck in a moment. I don't know which ones better the full band or the acoustic one. I think the acoustic one needs more than one guitar or more instruments though.

I thought Edge and Bono were very funny doing In the year 2000 in the futuristic costumes. I :heart: Urkel :laugh:

Bono saying: Blowin like fields of corn :laugh:

Last edited:
I dont understand the whole torrent thing you guys....I am lost and going to freak out in a second...thanks for your help I am hoping it pops up somewhere on like u2emporuim.com

U2exit.com mailinglist
Hello all,

Just a quick note to let you know that U2exit.com is currently hosting the audio from the Conan O'Brien show.

From NBC.com:

As the rock superstars rolled into New York City for seven sold out shows at Madison Square Garden, U2 spent an entire hour on Late Night.

www.u2exit.com/Conan.shtml

Cheers,

U2Exit.com

JOFO said:

I agree with everything you say here; in fact I posted the same in another thread that got closed.

I usually love conan's humor, but conon's humor + u2 = not so funny for me. I know they can be hilarious in interviews (ala zootv) but this time they were weird. and the year 2000 thing was embarrasing; (the booberry cereal thing: awful).

Me, three. I'm cutting Conan some slack, though, because wasn't their appearance really announced at the last minute? Conan's been waiting a long time for them to come on - I just feel like they were so rushed to get everything set up that there really wasn't a lot of time to prepare hilarious jokes and "awesome" interview questions. I think Conan did his best with what little time he had to prepare.

But yeah... I definitely agree with the last stuff you mentioned. The band's probably dead tired from being on the road, Bono's mind was elsewhere (nobel prize nomination? hello! LOL) and yeah... I just wish it had been better. Edge was the only one who seemed to be enjoying it. I would've loved to see some Zoo TV-era hilarity, too. Meh.

inmyplace13 said:
Anything that makes me actually like Stuck has to be good.

I'm with you, dude. Anything that makes me actually like OOTS has to be amazing. I am not a fan of the album version, but that was a STUNNING performance.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom