MERGED-->3rd Leg Opening Act?+Third Leg Support?+ Jet to open third leg?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Please God NOT Jet!!! You gotta look at bands who will have an album to support later this year like Coldplay and Weezer. Bands like that. U2 will want to end this tour with an exciting band (I hope!) and thusly pick some awesome opening acts.

Although I would die to see the White Stripes and U2 on the same bill, it'll never happen.

I would loooooooooooove to have JET!!! Dallas and I had a convo about them some months ago...he really digs them, and think there a great up anc coming band!!!

*this is not saying anything about Dallas mentioning them for the 3rd leg...this convo took place before the album came out.

TheRooster said:
Jet would be much better then Kings of Leon. Though I would also prefer The White Stripes but I don't think they would open for U2. Axver you lost all credibility to me when you said that Dreamtheater would be a great opener for U2 in another thread.

How the hell does that lose me any credibility? Dream Theater are one of the best bands going around. Petrucci is a fucking sensational guitarist, technically superior to Edge, and Larry could learn plenty from Portnoy.

I HIGHLY doubdt Coldplay will open for U2 in the U.S. They are capable of doing their own headlining tour of decent sized venues on their own this time out. If U2 were doing stadiums in the U.S., then it could happen. I would love it also, but I think that is a huge pipe dream.

HelloAngel said:
Please God NOT Jet!!! You gotta look at bands who will have an album to support later this year like Coldplay and Weezer. Bands like that. U2 will want to end this tour with an exciting band (I hope!) and thusly pick some awesome opening acts.

Although I would die to see the White Stripes and U2 on the same bill, it'll never happen.

Some of you people are just insane. Weezer is NOT going to open for U2. And Coldplay? You're joking, right? Colplay could play those very same arena's themselves. Sheesh.

Bring on the Brazilian Girls...

The hottest, sexiest group on the planet.

They are going to be HUGE.

I don't see why everyone is saying Coldplay is out of the question. I mean, No Doubt are a pretty big act and they opened for U2 on a few dates :shrug:

Re: Who Should Open for the 2nd U.S. Leg?

Westport said:
Ok we've got them coming back in the Fall but who is going to be the support act. Nothing against Kings of Leon (to be honest, haven't heard them yet) but I hope we can get someone different on the second go round.

Would love to have any of the following:

Franz Ferdinand
Keane
Snow Patrol
The Killers
Brazilian Girls (just listen to track 2 on Amazon. this group is great)

Thoughts from the gallery?

nice selection....i've got tix to the killers soon. will give a review. westport, do you need a copy of Kings of Leon?

:dance: :dance: :dance:

Derek said:

Some of you people are just insane. Weezer is NOT going to open for U2. And Coldplay? You're joking, right? Colplay could play those very same arena's themselves. Sheesh.

Actually I'm neither joking, nor am I insane. But thanks for that. This isn't about Coldplay being able to fill arenas. This is about Coldplay having an album to promote and also being huge, huge U2 fans who might just jump at the chance to play select shows on the Vertigo Tour - just like No Doubt did on Elevation.

As for Weezer, who knows. Keep in mind, this is all in good and fun speculation - obviously none of us are plonking our money and fists on the table and screaming that it's truth.

Axver said:
Good grief, no. That would be even worse than Kings Of Leon, and that's saying something because KOL are terrible.

Between this comment and Axver's Green Day comments, I've come to the conclusion, that the only band we both like is U2.

I've seen Jet, and they were AWESOME. I would say they would be one of the better openers for U2 that I've ever seen.

the Oasis or Jet rumors arent far off...their tour ends way before the 3rd leg picks up.

good god shoot me in my fuckin' face if jet opens...what the hell!?!? why does europe get the cool bands while america gets crap bands that are cheap imitations of 70s rock bands?

Catman said:
I don't see why everyone is saying Coldplay is out of the question. I mean, No Doubt are a pretty big act and they opened for U2 on a few dates :shrug:

I believe No Doubt were/are on the same label. I think that had ALOT to do with it. Anything is possible, but I think its very unlikely.

Axver said:

How the hell does that lose me any credibility? Dream Theater are one of the best bands going around. Petrucci is a fucking sensational guitarist, technically superior to Edge, and Larry could learn plenty from Portnoy.

I know they are technically superior, I'm not debating that. But its like I tell my 16 year old brother just because you're technically skilled at playing a guitar doesn't make you a good musician only a good guitarist. Part of music is making great...music. You can play as fast as you want and as many difficult chords, but still be a bad band. Its part of why being an artist is so hard. You can paint a perfect landscape but the skill in the painting is not what makes it art. There is framing, colour choice, expression in what is painted, brush strokes, etc. Thats how I feel about Dreamtheater. I know we'll differ, as I have noticed on these board there is no arguing with you. If I liked bands solely on their technical merits, I would not like U2.

But I will agree on one thing with you, Save 11 O'Clock. Vote for Vertigo at the Singles Survivor Poll people!

Jersey2miami said:
What about TV on the Radio? Check them out, I think they're from Brooklyn. Great sound.

I would love for TV on the Radio to open for U2. They would be much better than Jet. I feel better than any of the bands opening so far. I think it would also be cool to see the Flaming Lips open. They could do a set of covers, which when the Flaming Lips do them don't really sound like covers. Now that deserves the :drool: face, and not Radiohead-lite...I mean Travis, Jr....Um, Coldplay.

Oasis are egomaniacs... they would never open for U2. They have their own tour anyway, no? Coldplay wouldn't either, cos yeah, they can sell out on their own.

What I would love:
all the European openers
Muse
Feeder
Cooper Temple Clause
Idlewild
Kent (fat chance!)
Billy Corgan (heh)
Flaming Lips
Garbage again
Manic Street Preachers (ha! again)

I've seen Doves live, but they're so chill. (If you ever get to meet the lead singer Jimi, take it. Such a sweetheart... faked remembering that he'd seen before.) I want to be hyped up before U2, not that they need the help.

Also, for anyone going to Boston 5/24, Snow Patrol are playing the Avalon (I think) on 5/21. And Muse fans, they're doing MTV Campus Invasion at Providence College with Razorlight on 4/17 I think? The energy level of Muse rivals U2's, so I think a smart promoter would not put the two together. Idlewild and Feeder both have new albums coming out, so I think they're likelier openers. In any case, if I don't know the act, I'm sure I'll be pleasantly surprised like I was with the 'Phonics.

Ashlee Simpson

I really heard a rumor of that...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom