MERCY thread 3,232

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ImOuttaControl said:
Why is it not on the album? Well, in my opinion:

1. The guitar part is just not totally right...it needed work.

2. It seems uninspired in places

3. Drags on WAY too long for no reason.

4. Related to #3, it is missing the climax that most epic songs have- it never reaches that height.

5. Lastly, if U2 weren't satisfied by it and didn't want it on the album, it must be lacking something. I'm ok with that.

BTW, I think Mercy is a good song, but is pretty overrated here on the boards.

1. True, but one could say that above other U2 material from other albums.

2. It seems to inspired in to many places.

3. Many said this about several songs on the Unforgettable Fire album.

4. It actually climaxes 3 or 4 times.

5. U2 almost never make mistakes, but not putting this song on the album was indeed a mistake.

Call me crazy but Mercy has this whole "Zooropa (the song) meets Bad and springs a child thing" about it. It is so apparently clear to me that Mercy has the most heartfelt lyrics and emotionlly charged vocals that I have not heard so strongly from Bono in some time.

Don't forget your "Give me Mercy!" signs for the tour. :drool:

Last edited:
I agree Roland, I got the Zooropa connection too, which is great, as it shows the can still write these colder, darker songs.

STING2 said:

5. U2 almost never make mistakes, but not putting this song on the album was indeed a mistake.

:applaud: :applaud:

STING2 said:

well name a song. If we are going to talk specifics here lets get specific. I totally disagree with your opinion, but it doesn't mean we all can't talk about it y'know. Lets throw the songs on the table and compare apples to apples.

I think this song (Mercy) is quicjly becoming the most OVER rated piece of work EVER. Its not as good as everyone thinks. I find it a bit funny that people (most of whom have never recorded a rock record or been in a studio) are questioning one of the greatest rock bands ever for not using this song on their album. How do you know it just didn't fit with the flow or meaning of the album? or something else that comes into play when making an album. Trust me, if it was REALLY that good it would be on there, but its not and NEVER will be. But its still a good song....just not that good.

Last edited:
I love Mercy, i think it´s in my top 10, seriously.

It´s a very spiritual song, there are people that will relate to it in a high, high level, and there are people who just won´t connect to it anyway... they´ll see the song rationally, not emotionally, so they´ll find "wrong" guitar parts, "unfinished" parts etc

Mercy speaks directly to my soul that´s why I love it!! It´s raw and dark and I think my favorite U2 songs are like that!

Last edited:
PowerSurge said:

I think this song (Mercy) is quicjly becoming the most OVER rated piece of work EVER. Its not as good as everyone thinks. I find it a bit funny that people (most of whom have never recorded a rock record or been in a studio) are questioning one of the greatest rock bands ever for not using this song on their album. How do you know it just didn't fit with the flow or meaning of the album? or something else that comes into play when making an album. Trust me, if it was REALLY that good it would be on there, but its not and NEVER will be. But its still a good song....just not that good.

:up:

PowerSurge said:

To say it's one of the most overrated pieces of work EVER is a bit outrageous. Keep in mind most people outside of the Interference community haven't even heard this song, and not everyone that has heard it thinks it's the best thing since Bad (I think it's better than Bad :wink: ). Plus, it's very difficult to rate songs, especially unreleased ones :p it's all purely opinion, some people really connect with the song, others don't. I personally think it's a brilliant song but that doesn't mean you have to... I also agree with U2's decision to take it off the album. The only place it would really fit would be the end, and Yahweh is such a good closer it would be overshadowed if Mercy came afterwards. Plus in general it doesn't really fit the album mood... which is why I hope it is an indicator of the sound of the next album. I would be disappointed if Mercy didn't appear on an official album.

I like Mercy, but for some reason, it's not hitting me as hard as it seems to be hitting everyone else. :huh: Even suggesting that Mercy should replace Yahweh sounds completely preposterous to me.

The lyrics are fantastic, but the actual tune isn't as memorable as it could have been.

to those who say it drags on too long, bullshit.

this is u2 making music they want to make. this is perhaps their most interesting piece of music since 97.

an amazing song, it's just too bad it's not on the album.

AtomicBono said:

To say it's one of the most overrated pieces of work EVER is a bit outrageous. Keep in mind most people outside of the Interference community haven't even heard this song, and not everyone that has heard it thinks it's the best thing since Bad (I think it's better than Bad :wink: ). Plus, it's very difficult to rate songs, especially unreleased ones :p it's all purely opinion, some people really connect with the song, others don't. I personally think it's a brilliant song but that doesn't mean you have to... I also agree with U2's decision to take it off the album. The only place it would really fit would be the end, and Yahweh is such a good closer it would be overshadowed if Mercy came afterwards. Plus in general it doesn't really fit the album mood... which is why I hope it is an indicator of the sound of the next album. I would be disappointed if Mercy didn't appear on an official album.

Better than BAD? :ohmy:

or did you mean it is JUST bad?

I don;t think it will be worth discussing this any further because if you think Mercy is better than BAD I just can't have a conversation with you while banging my head against the wall at the same time.

I mean honestly....could you see Bono and the boys at Live Aid in London playing MERCY and having the same effect. please be rational here. Not trying to be mean, really I'm not, I'm just a little stunned thats it. Maybe I took your comment the wrong way....hopefully I did:huh:

I have to throw my support in here too, but qualified. I'm not exaggerating when I say this song may be in my Top 10 at some point, but it might be slightly improved if they continue to work on it.

My one reservation is that the song doesn't kick in until after the 2 minute mark. Every time I listen to it the wait seems longer (much like IGWSHA, which I feel was another almost-classic which the single version failed to remedy). You've got two full verses with no change in the music, if memory serves. I guess Bad is similar in its slow build, but those sequencers are heavenly and the payoff it so big it's kind of in a category all its own. I just hope they don't suck all the life out of it by reworking the thing.

What really irks me is that the critics of this song who totally "know" it's not album-caliber would be saying the same thing about OOTS, or MD, or COBL, or LPOE if they had suffered the same fate. It's slightly different than people who just like to take a contrarian position, but equally suspect.

The notion that it doesn't seem to "fit" with the other songs (something put forth even by the song's supporters) is flimsy because you could say the same thing about LPOE, COBL, OSC, and AMAAW. This album is very much a travelogue through past styles and sounds (with a new twist), and Mercy fits right in with that. Yeah, it would have been the darkest and longest song on the record, but something always has to be, right? Fast Cars is the one that really stands apart from the others, and not because of the music but because of the Zooropa-style lyrics (alienation due to modern society/technology). I can see the argument for saying that one doesn't fit. From the Blender interview it's clear that the band didn't want the album to be too long. What's the quickest solution to that? Cut the longest song. It's that simple. And that says more about the band's recent songwriting habits than anything about the quality of the song. Let's look at facts: Bono described it as the best b-side we've ever heard. Does that mean he thinks it's inferior to everything ON the album? I doubt it. His enthusiasm speaks volumes, as he never referred to even Sweetest Thing in that way.

I think whether or not you're a huge fan of what IS on The Bomb, or of Mercy itself, it has to be said that Mercy is pretty ambitious work for post-90's U2. Lyrically it is much more adventurous, and musically the band really seems to be comfortable chasing something. I think the tendency lately has been to wrap up songs WAY too quickly. The fact that no songs fade out on The Bomb backs this up. They want to make these perfect little songs now, when something like COBL totally SCREAMS long instrumental outro. As much as I love One Step Closer, you want to hear Edge take that All I Want Is You guitar sound and just go with it for 30 seconds!

Some people like the "polished nugget" approach, and that's fine, but it would be nice to see a mix of the two styles. It's not like the three 90's albums didn't have finely crafted tunes peppered throughout.

Here's hoping Mercy finds an elevated place in the canon, whether it's the rare b-side played live, or on a future EP or album. Either way is fine with me.

laz

Last edited:
I JUST listented to this for the first time and WOW.

I really haven't been too impressed with HTDAAB thus far...not a bad album, but it hasn't interested me much.

But this song is AMAZING.

Who decides which songs make the album and which don't? Because they should be FIRED for not including Mercy on HTDAAB.

and, according to the HTDAAB booklet, Mecy was the last song they finished (besides Fast Cars, i guess). This song is the best b-side since 11 O'Clock Tick Tock!

Some of the lyrics are too muddled...if Bono put a little more effort and Edge added some more creative guitar it would be a great song. There are some wonderful lyrics that I'd hate to see wasted if it never gets released.

I really have nothing intelligent to add to this, other than to say I love this song, it really is a classic U2 song in so many ways. In it's current form it's not worthy of being on the album, but I'm sure that could be easily remedied.

This is never going to be a huge single, but it's a heavy, deep, melodic piece of music that I'm very glad U2 made! :up:

And I completely agree with lazarus regarding One Step Closer. With a crescendo of an outro, complete with shimmering guitars and full on bass/drums, I often wonder if this song could have reached With or Without You heights. It's catchy, mellow, personal and simple, much like WoWY. Who knows, perhaps it will come to life live ...

Sorry, I just on't see why everyone seems to like this song so much. It's nothing special to me. It's a bit repititive, in fact.

I'm certainly in the camp that can't believe Mercy was left off the album. Perhaps, they'll release it on a future album. Its one of those timeless songs where I can listen to it over and over again and still wanting more. Kind of like the Unforgettable Fire. Anyways, great to read comments from Lazarus and AtomicBono, perhaps the non believers will convert to the pro Mercy camp soon:)

PowerSurge said:

well name a song. If we are going to talk specifics here lets get specific. I totally disagree with your opinion, but it doesn't mean we all can't talk about it y'know. Lets throw the songs on the table and compare apples to apples.

Well, what song would you like to compare it to? I think the song is amazing, and its easily in my top 50 U2 songs now and it could go higher.

U2 are the greatest rock band of all time, but that does not mean they don't make any mistakes. They would be the first to tell you that they have made mistakes in the past. In addition, they have pulled fans from off the street into the studio and asked them which versions of songs they liked better after playing different versions to them. Reportedly, this happened last Spring/Summer. The band was about to throw away With Or With Out You until Bono's friend, Gavin stopped them from doing that. . Take the "Sweetest Thing", this song was perfect and then the band re-recorded it which gave it this dry bland feeling, not that it was bad, but it was not as good as the original.

Was the song to long or does the sound not fit the album? That could be a possibility, but I've made my own version of the album with it mixed in and it sounds great.

My 13 year old son was singing this song in his room this morning! :heart: :heart:

I think this song just moved from my top 10 to the top 5!!!

Honestly, I will be astounded if this song is not on an album..it deserves more exposure than a b-side slot will give it.

Back
Top Bottom