Mercy gives me hope for the future of U2...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would be eternally greatful if a copy could find its way into my inbox..... mattuk2k1 at yahoo dot co dot uk

I've heard loads about the song and read the lyrics online, but I can't find a copy of it anywhere!

Please help?

Thanks!

Mercy is fucking awesome -- the quitissential U2 song, in my opinion, embodying every aspect of U2's sound that they've ever made -- from Boy all the way through HTDAAB.

If this song ever makes it to a record, it will become the next Bad!

Am I the only person who thinks Mercy doesn't sound that different from the rest of HTDAAB? Personally I wish it had been put in there instead of, say, Miracle Drug, which sounds like an inferior version of the same song. But stylewise it's not that different. And as for it being the next Bad - :huh:

If there's one song that gives me hope for U2's future it's Fast Cars. Now there's a fresh and interesting direction!

Last edited:
Bono's shades said:
Am I the only person who thinks Mercy doesn't sound that different from the rest of HTDAAB? Personally I wish it had been put in there instead of, say, Miracle Drug, which sounds like an inferior version of the same song. But stylewise it's not that different. And as for it being the next Bad - :huh:

If there's one song that gives me hope for U2's future it's Fast Cars. Now there's a fresh and interesting direction!

Fast Cars is a great song, sounds out of place and blew me away on first listen, I remember listening to HTDAAB on christmas day at 8:30am, Man this is abit boring, most of the songs are 3 stars, with 1 2-star, and 2 4-star songs, thgen Fast cars comes on, straight to 5-stars, and will never leave that spot, it blew me away more then any other U2 song, except maybe theAre you gonna wait forever:drool: :drool: , brillant rock song.

Are You Gonna Wait Forever, Fast Cars, and Mercy are probably three of the most interesting and entertaining songs to come out of the HTDAAB session. I'm not bashing HTDAAB in any way, I think it's a fantastic album, but these three songs in particular are just :drool: . Mercy especially is probably my favorite song since Beaufitul Day and Stay before that.

Mercy sounds like U2 2005, not any other era as far as i'm concerned.

just as atyclb sounded like u2 2000, and not 1980's.

Lancemc said:
Are You Gonna Wait Forever, Fast Cars, and Mercy are probably three of the most interesting and entertaining songs to come out of the HTDAAB session. I'm not bashing HTDAAB in any way, I think it's a fantastic album, but these three songs in particular are just :drool: . Mercy especially is probably my favorite song since Beaufitul Day and Stay before that.

I am sick of people saying U2 are a pop-band, well thye kind of are, but I am sick of it coming from people with no idea of music, U2 are pop-rock/rock, and give anyone that Vertigo single and tell me they aren't. Someone who says U2 have lost it and hates the new album, give them Mercy, someone who says U2 can't experiment give them Fast Cars. And if your like me, give me all three and the new album.

Mercy:drool:

I'm hoping and wishing as hard as I can that Mercy:drool: turns up on the next album.
It's just beautiful in every way, lyrics, guitar, drums, bass, structure. I love that it doesn't follow the traditional Verse-Chorus-Verse-Chorus style.

I think Larry also said somewhere that they would have to start experimenting again if they were going to keep making records. And if Adam also said something like that, it means we've got the more reliable half of the band telling us we're in for something new next time :hyper:

Hurry up 2010!!

Mercy is incredible. The parts of the song itself are quite simple, but put them together and it becomes something much more - much like the members of U2 themselves.

Mercy is better than anything on the last two albums, and I love them both. I really, really, really hope U2 isn't ditching Mercy just because it has been leaked. It deserves to be on an album. When I meet Bono (cuz I will, I am determined), I will tell him to put Mercy on an album because it's one of the best damn songs I've ever heard. Even if it is left behind, I hope it is an indication of the direction U2 is heading in. It has this sort of dark atmosphere reminiscent of their 90's work and a buildup like Bad, but it isn't quite like anything they've ever done before. A song like Mercy makes me believe that U2 has it in them to top their masterpieces.

Oh, and if anyone would like to send it to me, that would rule. woolymammals@gmail.com

I know what you're thinking, but I don't have it on this computer, and I want to send it to my friend very badly. So I'd probably love you forever if you could email it to me, if you could find the time.

...and again, and again, and again and agin and again......

imagine this traklisting.....

1// Vertigo
2// Smile
3// Sometimes you can't make it on your own
4// love and peace or else
5// Mercy
6// All because of you
7// A Man and a Woman
8// Crumbs from your table
9// One Step Closer
10// Origional of the species
12// Yahweh

:drool:

although, the next album could be shaping up really well....:wink:

Take out the looped guitar and put in overdubbed walls of on-key feedback along with song 16th note muted guitar (a'la Streets) along with some octave up 16th note unmuted guitar (a'la In God's Country), make the drums a little more like Deep In The Heart or Race Against Time and I think we've got one of U2's finest moments here.... But as it is, I find it lacking.

HTDAAB is my 3rd fav album and I also like ATYCLB but I think as most of you that U2 need to follow a new direction in the next record.

Are You Gonna Wait Forever?, Fast Cars and Mercy are 3 great songs that give me hope that U2 will change, take the risk, be experimental again.

I hope that next album will be a true masterpiece. Their 3rd masterpiece. Yeah, because I love their 11 albums but Joshua Tree and Achtung Baby were their only masterpieces.

Maybe after all of this Live 8, G8, Bono has more time to be with the band. Remember the time they disappeared and worked together before Joshua and Achtung. And what did we got? Two albums with unique and singular sounds...

AtomicBono said:

Really? I always envisioned it as the ultimate album closer. I mean, what could FOLLOW it, really?

I agree. Mercy could only close an album. If U2 were in the habit of including "hidden tracks" at the end of their CD's, Mercy would be a perfect fit.

I was thinking today, (first time in a while) and I came to the conclusion that, as much as it disappoints me, Mercy probably won't get released formaly, at least not in the form we know and love it in.

I think this because U2 and Paul McGuinness would have to be aware of how many of us have already heard Mercy, and its still spreading. My guess is that Mercy will be left to us internet go-ers to enjoy, and left off the next album and all to come, except maybe a 00-10 Best Of.

I think you're right Meghan.

It will be a rare gem for us die-hard fans.

Truth be told, I don't think the song is very radio-friendly, despite being awesome.

I don't think Mercy would be a wise choice for a single...it's too, well, good. I can't imagine hearing something like Mercy on the radio.

I really hope it's not reduced to being thrown on the Best Of album. Regardless of how many of us have heard it, it ought to be on the next album. Most casual fans don't even know of its existance. So a bunch of diehards have heard it - so what? It's not gonna stop us from buying the album. On the contrary, I think a lot of fans here who have been disillusioned with U2 as of late would be more inclined to buy an album if it had Mercy on it.

That's kinda how I feel, and what I would like to happen, but I just don't see it happening in reality.

But you never know, sometimes I'm reverse-psychic, I make predictions and the exact opposite happens.
So, Mercy will probably be not only ON the next album, but will be released as a single AND get to number 1 all over the world (even in Australia) AND will be played virtually non-stop on most radio stations.

Back
Top Bottom