Mercy !! Edge Answers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yahweh said:
No matter what U2 put out it will be the loud minority that win out in this forum saying the same things that are being said here. This sucks that sucks everything sucks. Go suck it.

We target them for the hypocrites they are.

It's actually very easy.

jonnytakeawalk said:
How come you're only posting this now??? It was a month ago now that U2 were at the corner hotel when you asked the question

only posting now because wanted t see if we were in video , my girlfriend is - shes the one in green behind larry and i am next to her but you can only see a part of my arm and head . For anyone else who was there i wa the guy in the black industrie shirt .

abombdismantler said:

only posting now because wanted t see if we were in video , my girlfriend is - shes the one in green behind larry and i am next to her but you can only see a part of my arm and head . For anyone else who was there i wa the guy in the black industrie shirt .

but what's that got to do with you asking edge about mercy :scratch:

Well look at what Rubin made out of the beach clip 400.

Imagine the same touch on Mercy. :hyper:

vaz02 said:
u2 normally ruin good things, its tradition.

Oh, I concur. After all, everything from U2-3 through HTDAAB has been pure crap. Oh, we can only dream what those releases might have been. Imagine if JT was actually a good album! Imagine if U2 didn't ruin AB! Imagine how many more Grammies U2 would've won if they hadn't screwed up ATYCLB and HTDAAB so badly. Aah, one can dream.

doctorwho said:

Oh, I concur. After all, everything from U2-3 through HTDAAB has been pure crap. Oh, we can only dream what those releases might have been. Imagine if JT was actually a good album! Imagine if U2 didn't ruin AB! Imagine how many more Grammies U2 would've won if they hadn't screwed up ATYCLB and HTDAAB so badly. Aah, one can dream.

Is it Grammys or Grammies?

Just imagine how big this U2 thing would be if they knew what they were doing :drool:

Dream out loud :drool:

yeh i mean U2 only winning 5 grammy last time that is a poor effort... what is wrong with them they should of done alot better... They continue to ruin everything (sarcasm if you didnt notice) :|

doctorwho said:

:lol:
In answer to someone else's remark, I think Mercy created such an uproar because it sounds more like nineties U2 than anything since the nineties. For people who miss the dark and moody U2, Mercy suggested that the band could still move in that direction. Lines like "I was drinking some wine, and it turned to blood...", and the dense guitar, etc.

bgmckinney said:

In answer to someone else's remark, I think Mercy created such an uproar because it sounds more like nineties U2 than anything since the nineties. For people who miss the dark and moody U2, Mercy suggested that the band could still move in that direction. Lines like "I was drinking some wine, and it turned to blood...", and the dense guitar, etc.

Actually you nailed it- that is why I like Mercy so much. It is that 90's U2 sound and lyrics that I love.

I was listening to it again tonight I kept thinking it could have been an extra track on Achtung Baby.

MERCY RULES!!!!!! I'm struggling to see what they could possibly cut out of the song to make it shorter. I really want people to hear this song and be released as a single, but I don't know how they could condense to to make it plausible as a single. But I'm glad they haven't shelved this song and are enthusiastic about its potential like me :up:

AussieU2fanman said:
MERCY RULES!!!!!! I'm struggling to see what they could possibly cut out of the song to make it shorter. I really want people to hear this song and be released as a single, but I don't know how they could condense to to make it plausible as a single. But I'm glad they haven't shelved this song and are enthusiastic about its potential like me :up:

I don't know that anything needs to be cut. But I agree that the song isn't quite ready - it's just lacking a certain quality that most finalized U2 songs have. I understand why they're not happy with it as it is. Of course I have no idea what they intend to do with it, Bono never answers my calls these days, but I could see them endlessly tweaking the instrumentation and the sonics until it's just right.

bgmckinney said:

Exactly, that is the reason why Fast cars and Mercy get :drool: over. Also 402, even if it rips off the Dirty day riff.

It's just funny when the band channels it's 90's self it's great but it's the capital crime if they channel their 80's self.

edit: good to see some validation for those who said the band didn't forget about Mercy. Personally I think anything above 5:00 mark is a long song for U2 standards.

Last edited:
Wow what awesome news...but I thought it was terrific already...and as for not putting 6:15 songs on albums...that's crap! Besides, Mercy is 6:31, and if it were to be released as a single it would be cu7t doown singnificantly.

Only two track listings on Bomb are 5:00 or longer. And the longest is 5:46. So, I'm betting Mercy will get cut by at least 30 seconds, if not longer, before it's released.

"Vertigo" – 3:13
"Miracle Drug" – 3:54
"Sometimes You Can't Make It on Your Own" – 5:05
"Love and Peace or Else" – 4:48
"City of Blinding Lights" – 5:46
"All Because of You" – 3:34
"A Man and a Woman" – 4:27
"Crumbs from Your Table" – 4:59
"One Step Closer" – 3:47
"Original of the Species" – 4:34
"Yahweh" – 4:22
"Fast Cars" – 3:44

jesus of SUBURBIA by green DAY was 8 minutes PLUS in length and it got RADIO play. if the song is GOOD enough it will hit the AIR. probably won't be a NUMBER one but then again what U2 song IS these days? at least in the UNITED STATES that is.

but my REAL question is this... why does the ORIGINAL poster insist in using CAPS on every 5th word? is it so we don't miss that it was EDGE and not LARRY that you SPOKE to?

MrBrau1 said:

We target them for the hypocrites they are.

It's actually very easy.

They are conscious about how hipocryte they are and they are aware that we find them hipocryte. But don't worry, they're not gonna give up because of these thoughts...

Couldn't Mercy just be released on the next album but not as a single? I would hate to see Mercy cut down; it is a terrific song with no filler whatsoever and furthermore nothing that needs ot should be cut out.

Keep Mercy it is, don't touch it.
Keep the noisy guitar on the backing track and use it to make the track 1 of the album. Don't change the tempo of the backing track, but change the tempo (slower) of the new instrumental (maybe add piano or acoustic guitar or electronic noises) that runs under it. Make new lyrics (good lyrics for an opening track). Then, using the same backing track, make the connection between this new track and Mercy (track 2) and... voilá!

doctorwho said:

In recent years u2 have have screwed up many a good things.

We've seen before that many years can pass between a song being written for the first time and it finally being released onto an album it fits with. There's no guarantee Mercy will be on the next album, or any album at all for that matter.

I really must get around to listening to it one of these days... at least I actually have a copy now. :) Somewhere...

Aygo said:

I agree:drool: Give us what we want and no-one gets Hurt HELLO HELLO!! U2 are you listening?

Off to play Mercy at "Communicate with the other galaxies" volume :ohmy:

Aygo said:

I also agree, it is perfect now. Im afraid that if they do more work on it, there is a chnace that it may be overproduced. If they would re-recorded it, my thougts would be: "Bono's voice sounded better on the demo version" :) But that's just me.

Last edited:
if it's re-recorded that would be great.

I'd hate for everything to sound like it's in a blender on the album too.

hooray for Rick Rubin!

U2girl said:
It's just funny when the band channels it's 90's self it's great but it's the capital crime if they channel their 80's self.

I think the main thing here is that they've been trying to channel select parts of their 80's selves for the past two albums - the earnest, singalong anthem part of their 80's selves.

I don't think that you'd hear many complaints if they starting channeling the U2 of Sunday Bloody Sunday or Exit, but that's simply not the case.

Not to say that the U2 they've been trying to channel is bad, but it's exciting to see them channeling other parts of themselves every now and then. It leads us to believe that they've still got some kind of creative spark in them.

And by "us," of course I really mean "me." :wink:

And Mercy is great. They better not end up messing with it too much. It's a good song as it is, despite what the loud minority on these forums might have to say about it.

Last edited:
I hope that U2 does to the song whatever the hell they feel like doing to the song because they've made pretty decent choices for 30 years now re: their careers......and their songs....so, you know what? I'm just going to enjoy whatever they come up with (And there will always be a song here and there I do not like, such is life), as I like the band for what the band do, not for what I want them to do.

Well, writing singalong anthems is a part of their music. (though I would say the lyrics are less universal, "I want to change the world and speak out about injustices everywhere" and more personal and that the music is more accessible now compared to the 80's) And I don't mind earnest - I liked it when they were willing to speak out about their ideals.
(and I don't think ATYCLB, Kite and Walk on aside, sound like 80's U2 but that's another topic...)

Considering the flak he got for the last two tours speeches and his activism overall, I don't think a SBS would go down all that well, or that the bands wants to be so explicitly political.

Exit? I'm ok with the 3 or so rockers we usually get on their albums, but I usually prefer the slower songs.

Mercy is an OK song...the mix, on the version we all have sux. I think the lyrics are great, much more Pop like than the last two albums, but I think the music is very 80's U2. This blend makes the song work for most of us.

That said, the version we have really doesn't sound 'finished' by U2 standards, which I think everyone likes...so all that will happen is that we're all used to this version, and no matter what they do the song 95% of those who love the song now will hate it if it is ever released commercially.

Personally I hope they never release it 'cos I'm sick of Mercy threads...and we all know as soon as U2 releases it the people who love it now will turn on it with a vengeance...:macdevil:

Reggie Thee Dog said:

Personally I hope they never release it 'cos I'm sick of Mercy threads...and we all know as soon as U2 releases it the people who love it now will turn on it with a vengeance...:macdevil:

ofcourse they would :wink: cuz if the mercy haters suddenly love thesong, there would be no more argueing on interference :no: that's impossible man!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom