LP14: Songs of Experience - To Valencia and Beyond

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I know this is going to be a very unpopular statement, but I actually wish U2 can try to write great melodies like Oasis did in the 90s. U2 are my favourite band but if I am being objective about the songwriting of the respective bands, u2 have not come close to matching great melodies such as Don't Go Away, Don't Look Back in Anger, Stand By Me, Live Forever etc. I know they write in a different way, but those big tunes that Noel used to produce is what is lacking in u2's catalogue imo. U2 are no doubt the more innovative band, but they do fall down in terms of producing those all time classics.

I know this is going to be a very unpopular statement, but I actually wish U2 can try to write great melodies like Oasis did in the 90s. U2 are my favourite band but if I am being objective about the songwriting of the respective bands, u2 have not come close to matching great melodies such as Don't Go Away, Don't Look Back in Anger, Stand By Me, Live Forever etc. I know they write in a different way, but those big tunes that Noel used to produce is what is lacking in u2's catalogue imo. U2 are no doubt the more innovative band, but they do fall down in terms of producing those all time classics.

So I gues u2 didn't write streets, wowy, one, sbs and the list goes on and on? Are they not considered all time classics?

:huh:

Just what we needed here, another Oasis hooligan.

Thank Fark for that. If they sounded like the droll manufactured garbage that came out of Manchester I would have to neck myself.

So I gues u2 didn't write streets, wowy, one, sbs and the list goes on and on? Are they not considered all time classics?

They are and they are great, but I don't think the songs you have mentioned are as melodic as Oasis' best offerings. In terms of songs that you can sing a long to is what I meant. Oasis may be boring, lack in innovation etc but they can write amazing melodies.

Just as long as U2 don't start sounding like Coldplay!

Mad4it...is that you?

Sent from my iPhone using U2 Interference

They are and they are great, but I don't think the songs you have mentioned are as melodic as Oasis' best offerings. In terms of songs that you can sing a long to is what I meant. Oasis may be boring, lack in innovation etc but they can write amazing melodies.

Well that's a pretty weak definition of a "great melody", and if you can't sing along with those songs then it might be your own musicality that's the problem. It sounds like what you're looking for is more of the nursery rhyme type of melody.

I have certainly heard non U2 fans complain of a lack of complex or engaging melodies from them. Complaints are that Bono speaks, or sings in a fairly limited/monotone way.

Have to say their melodies are often more understated, or at least rely on subtle variation rather than your teen idol warblers. That is certainly very different to 'no' melody.

CQgAcrkWEAAefrk.jpg

I have certainly heard non U2 fans complain of a lack of complex or engaging melodies from them. Complaints are that Bono speaks, or sings in a fairly limited/monotone way.

Have to say their melodies are often more understated, or at least rely on subtle variation rather than your teen idol warblers. That is certainly very different to 'no' melody.

Well U2 definitely has its subtle melodies, but they also have their big melodies as well. But I don't think that's what this poster is saying.

Take NYD for example; classic song, everyone can sing along, but there's no single melody throughout the song. Each verse Bono varies the vocal melody, but the song structure and melody underneath stay the same, then there's the beautiful piano melody underneath. But if Oasis were to write that song, they would have grabbed the best verse melody and just continued that throughout so that by the end it was stuck in your head, making it very easy to sing along with on first listen.

You have expressed my sentiments in a much more articulate fashion than I ever could. I think u2 are great with the chorus, but their verses tend to be understated. Oasis on the other hand seem to go for the big chorus and a melodic verses. Nothing against how u2 have done it in the past, and I absolutely love them for it, but it would be fantastic if they could incorporate more complex melodies into their new songs.

Actually I think the opposite is the case but mostly with reference to lyrics. U2's choruses tend to be rather "boring" (or simplistic), whereas the verses are beautiful. Again, speaking about lyrics here.

You have expressed my sentiments in a much more articulate fashion than I ever could. I think u2 are great with the chorus, but their verses tend to be understated. Oasis on the other hand seem to go for the big chorus and a melodic verses. Nothing against how u2 have done it in the past, and I absolutely love them for it, but it would be fantastic if they could incorporate more complex melodies into their new songs.

There's nothing complex about Oasis' melodies, in fact the reason you can sing along with them is because they are rather simple. But I get what you're saying about a more 'understated' verse, and that has mostly to do with how Bono approaches his singing. A lot of songs like WOWY Bono approaches the verses in a quieter voice and then lifts during the chorus and bridge. Bono had great tone, he could pull off that subtlety, neither Noel or Liam had that so they're going to approach their singing differently. But if you were to listen to an instrumental version of the song and the vocal melody was played by an instrument you would hear a great melody there.

Have to say I'm loving the verse on the beach clip, reminds me of a modern EBTTRT, chorus or mid section of whatever it is is a bit weak though(hard to hear it on a clip). Very excited about the new songs now.

Magazine is out on the stands now. I got my copy on Friday.

If you are looking for album, single or tour news, you won't find it in this article.

This article concentrates on Edge's partnering with Fender for the Edge Signature Deluxe Amp and Signature Stratocaster.

The Edge is on the cover of the October 2016 Guitar World.

Could be another sign the album is soon? Could just be about his signature Stratocaster.

Stay tuned... :hyper:

October 2016 Guitar World Gear and Lesson Videos | Guitar World

I wish U2 would put out new albums every 9 months like Beatles did

they probably have a lot of songs in the can already from years past as well as some skeletons of songs. They probably could put out an album every 9 months for a while.:D

I wish U2 would put out new albums every 9 months like Beatles did

I suppose the circumstances of the 60's music industry, on top of being a group of kids in their 20's at the time, make that a tall order for any band these days though.

Yet again, with what must be in this band's vault nowadays... :hmm:

they probably have a lot of songs in the can already from years past as well as some skeletons of songs. They probably could put out an album every 9 months for a while.:D

9/2016: SOE
6/2017: SOA
3/2018: SOU
12/2018: SOY (A hit with the lactose intolerant crowd)
9/2018: SOX (Tour consists of residencies in Chicago and Boston only)
6/2019: SOB (A real tear jerker of an album)
3/2020: SOW (Shirtless Bono on cover)
12/2020: SOL (Featuring cover of The Beatles' "Here Comes The Sun")
9/2021: SOT (Huge in Ireland)
6/2022: SOD (Down and dirty rock album)
3/2023: SON (Elvis Mullen takes over on drums)
12/2023: SOQ
9/2024: SOK
6/2025: SOS (featuring cover of The Beatles' "Help")
3/2026: SOM
12/2026: SOG (Songs of Goodbye)

Yeah once they finally retire I guess we can look forward to slowly being drip-fed a lot of unreleased stuff over the years. I anticipate buying their entire discography three or four more times during my lifetime as they re-release the lot with more and more stuff.

No new details? RUBBISH !

It's a guitar magazine. No surprise that the article is about guitar gear. It would have been nice if they'd gone a bit further and cover the gear used on the SOI tour. I know most of us Edge/Guitar fans would have like that. But it seems more like GW took the signature gear coming out - and it's Edge's first signature gear - to be the lead story.

you have some free time on your hands:lol:

SOW:applaud:

You forgot their SOC: Songs of California album (Beach Boys/Jan & Dean cover album - played with all traditional Irish Instruments)

and SOF: Songs of Football [soccer] (U2 covering various football team crowd chants)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom