LP 13 talk & Bono's haircut tracker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well, only two scenarios possible at this point:
1. The band does not break up; they keep "working" on the album, it comes out someday. Maybe this Fall, maybe in 5 years.
2. The band does not keep "working" on the album; no formal announcement is made, but it's clear that they are not a functioning band anymore, and they basically fade off into the sunset. I can't imagine some big announcement from them saying we are done.

I would say #1 is the more probable, but like I said before: if judging by the small bits of info we have actually gotten, it would seem they do have at least 8 tunes or whatever done. They seem to think they are close to finishing. If they cannot wrap it up in time for this fall, I would be led to believe that they have lost faith in that material, which would mean starting all over again. And to be honest, I don't think they have it in themselves to do so.

You make a good point about #2. I wouldn't be surprised if they went out that way. That wasy, they're keeping it open if they decide they'd like to give it another go years down the road.

You make a good point about #2. I wouldn't be surprised if they went out that way. That wasy, they're keeping it open if they decide they'd like to give it another go years down the road.

And we continue to get quotes about an album "maybe soon" for more years? Nah... if they end I'd rather they just say it. Otherwise whenever they are interviewed for whatever other projects the topics of albums and tours would surely come up.

I try to get my kids into U2 but it's tough when Rhianna and Katy Perry come out with new songs every few months.:crack:

I refuse to get my daughter into U2. I don't want her getting made fun of in school. :wink:

Plus, when she's old enough to make her own music choices, I'll let her make the decisions....unless it's country. At that point, I'd step in.

Can someone explain why in the hell would LIVE NATION and Guy O'Seary sign a Multi-Million dollar contract with a band who has NO intention of pursuing their career or putting an album out ? :doh:

An album and a world tour to support it is coming most likely early next year. Summer has just started...wait until end of August for solid announcement.

I'm old (43), and I was talking with some of my nephew's friends at a bbq over the weekend about music. They're in their early 20's.
They are not into U2 at all. Made typical comments like Bono is a douche, they're boring, etc.
I can't say I would expect them to be into U2; they haven't had a big song in 10 years, which would mean they were 12-13 when Vertigo came out.....and that tune ain't exactly representative of what U2 is all about.
I think for me, being 14 when UF came out, 16 with JT, and 20 with AB made all the difference in the world. It's almost like....you just had to be there to really get it. Not trying to sound superior or exclusive....I just think there was more power to U2 back then.
It's like when someone in their 60's talks about Woodstock; yeah, I understand the importance of it and all, but I wasn't there, and really can't stand to listen or watch anything from it on tv or whatever. It just wasn't my thing. Nothing wrong with that.
Which is why U2 really are clueless at this point if they are trying to "get" those kids in their early 20's or younger....it's just not possible at this point IMO. Those kids already have their minds made up.
However, fans of the band are going to continue to support them, so I say they give up on this relevance nonsense and make a record for their fans.

I'm old (43), and I was talking with some of my nephew's friends at a bbq over the weekend about music. They're in their early 20's.
They are not into U2 at all. Made typical comments like Bono is a douche, they're boring, etc.
I can't say I would expect them to be into U2; they haven't had a big song in 10 years, which would mean they were 12-13 when Vertigo came out.....and that tune ain't exactly representative of what U2 is all about.
I think for me, being 14 when UF came out, 16 with JT, and 20 with AB made all the difference in the world. It's almost like....you just had to be there to really get it. Not trying to sound superior or exclusive....I just think there was more power to U2 back then.
It's like when someone in their 60's talks about Woodstock; yeah, I understand the importance of it and all, but I wasn't there, and really can't stand to listen or watch anything from it on tv or whatever. It just wasn't my thing. Nothing wrong with that.
Which is why U2 really are clueless at this point if they are trying to "get" those kids in their early 20's or younger....it's just not possible at this point IMO. Those kids already have their minds made up.
However, fans of the band are going to continue to support them, so I say they give up on this relevance nonsense and make a record for their fans.

Spot on. There's not going to be much that will change their minds.

Even my wife for example, who is 5 years younger than me (she's 28, I'm 33) can't stand them. I think my age group was really about the last group where it was "cool" to like U2, and that's even stretching it a bit.

Even my wife for example, who is 5 years younger than me (she's 28, I'm 33) can't stand them. I think my age group was really about the last group where it was "cool" to like U2, and that's even stretching it a bit.

I'm curious, what do these teens, or those in their early 20s think about Coldplay?

Yes it can, because it's bloody miserable in the summer. I'd take a range of 65f in January to 75f in July, all with low-to-moderate humidity, over a range of 75f in January to 95f in July, all with Satanically-high levels of humidity, any day.

The summer temps in South Florida are not any higher than most of the rest of the country in the summer time. The humidity makes it feel 10 to 15 degrees hotter, but in the grand scheme of things, that is not much. Plus as long as you are within a mile or two of the ocean, the breeze helps keep things cool in July and August. The East Coast Of South Florida is a tropical environment, the only one in the lower 48 states. People mistakenly go to Southern California in December and January expecting summer weather and come away pretty disappointed. Not so in South Florida. In South Florida, you can eat dinner outside at night in your bathing suit in early January. Swimming year round as well. Not so in southern California.

Here's another thing: that Woodstock generation I mentioned: they're not even remotely into U2 either. So it would be pretty rare for someone in their mid-late 60's to be up on U2.
Even my older sister's generation; she's 10 years older than me, so 53. They like U2 ok enough and whatever, liked JT and all, liked BD when it came out, but really for them the last stop with U2 was AB, and that's only because they like "One". They are much more of a Bruce Springsteen generation. Why? Because like him or not, he was putting out big records from the mid 70's when my sister was in her teens all the way until present day. He's her generation's thing. Sure, they might go see U2 live, just because to them it would be almost the same as going to see the Eagles or whatever....but I mean, they are completely clueless about U2 from 1993-2000. It's like U2 didn't even exist back then.
And another thing: they are probably aware of U2 these days, even if in the slightest way, simply because Bono is always in the news about his political/charitable events, and they take notice of those things.

So, it would seem to me, U2's core fanbase is really between the ages of say 30 and 50. Of course there are exceptions, but I would bet on this.

I'm curious, what do these teens, or those in their early 20s think about Coldplay?

I didn't ask, but judging by the bands they were naming, Coldplay is way too mainstream for them to be considered cool.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Coldplay is a generational type band; I think they appeal to anyone that likes safe pop-rock music, much like Matchbox 20 or the Goo Goo Dolls once did.

Well im 28 and i got into u2 when beautiful day/atyclb came out.

There was alot of interest in u2 when i was at school. They really re invented themselves to appeal to a new generation like the one i was in.

I remember one girl decorating her art work folder in pictures of Bono

When u2 did the brits in 2001 they won the achievement award and it was a hot topic how good the performance was that night.also how bono took the piss out of craig david ( who was massive at the time)

I remember a lad who i use to sit next to in science liked u2 cause of his parents influence. I went into school one day and he said "guess were i went last night? To see u2 at the nec arena in birmingham (uk)on the elevation tour"

Elevation was also a big tune amongst us youngsters at the time

Atyclb had a big impact on people around my age (14/15)

Probaly u2's last big re invention for younger fans,its never going to happen again now!

Well im 28 and i got into u2 when beautiful day/atyclb came out.

There was alot of interest in u2 when i was at school. They really re invented themselves to appeal to a new generation like the one i was in.

I remember one girl decorating her art work folder in pictures of Bono

When u2 did the brits in 2001 they won the achievement award and it was a hot topic how good the performance was that night.also how bono took the piss out of craig david ( who was massive at the time)

I remember a lad who i use to sit next to in science liked u2 cause of his parents influence. I went into school one day and he said "guess were i went last night? To see u2 at the nec arena in birmingham (uk)on the elevation tour"

Elevation was also a big tune amongst us youngsters at the time

Atyclb had a big impact on people around my age (14/15)

Probaly u2's last big re invention for younger fans,its never going to happen again now!

Interesting; I think the big media blitz they did for that record really helped, not to mention BD was constantly played, and let's face it, was probably the last true "classic" tune they wrote.
I also think their image was much more youthful back then. Compared to now, they looked like they were still in their 30's.
And...I also think that time period (2000-2002) was the last of the "old" ways of releasing albums and getting a big buzz.

How did you and your friends feel about Vertigo and HTDAAB when that came out?

Interesting; I think the big media blitz they did for that record really helped, not to mention BD was constantly played, and let's face it, was probably the last true "classic" tune they wrote.

I also think their image was much more youthful back then. Compared to now, they looked like they were still in their 30's.

And...I also think that time period (2000-2002) was the last of the "old" ways of releasing albums and getting a big buzz.

How did you and your friends feel about Vertigo and HTDAAB when that came out?

Yeah i think your right, u2 were seen as "cool" by younger people in that period.

They would regularly be on the cover of the nme and the nme gave them the godlike genius award in 2001 with u2 being at the awards. God if Bono turned up there now i think he would get jumped.

They were always on mtv alongside the likes of eminem,britney spears,backstreet boys,destinys child etc the point im making is u2 were up there with the most famous/relevent pop musicans and thats how the media protrayed them

U2 were always at the "cool" (to kids) awards like the mtv awards the vmas etc

They really put themselves out there alongside the other cool (ill say again to kids)artists which made them look cool.

About atomic bomb,id left school in june 04 so it came out after id finished school. Id kept intouch with some lads who loved the album and i went with a school friend to the vertigo tour.

But around the atomic bomb era was when all this "anti Bono" stuff started. Here in the uk anyway.

The atyclb era u2 were seen as very relevent and cool with youngsters not so much in the atomic bomb era but they were still getting played loads on radio 1 and their songs always charted high. It was after the bomb era when they lost there full street cred with youngsters i think.

I started drinking with lads abit older then me after i finshed school and a fair few had been with u2 for years!

I rarely talk to teens so I couldn't tell you.

I thought you might know since you mentioned how they felt about U2.

I didn't ask, but judging by the bands they were naming, Coldplay is way too mainstream for them to be considered cool.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Coldplay is a generational type band; I think they appeal to anyone that likes safe pop-rock music, much like Matchbox 20 or the Goo Goo Dolls once did.

Sounds like your dealing with and indie music vs other music divide rather than a generational divide. Indie music by the way is not any more popular now than it was 10 or 20 years ago. It certainly is not the current 15-25 year old generations choice.

As for Coldplay, of all the new artist that have emerged since January 2000, the one with the career trajectory most similar to U2's is Coldplay.

My experience was very similar - I'm 31 and got into U2 with ATYCLB. That was a huge album for me and the general perception of U2 was that they were a cool band. They were seen as kind of the thinking person's band at school, and whilst at uni I had a great time discovering their whole back catalogue.

HTDAAB was a continuation of ATYCLB, but I don't think it brought in new fans like ATYCLB did. Then the Bono hate started around 2006 when he was getting more involved with Blair and Bush.

The chase for relevancy now is just a waste of time. Just be like Springsteen and knock out the best tunes you can. Sooner or later a classic will emerge.

P.S. I would argue their last classic was City of Blinding Lights.

Is this anti bono thing just an english and american thing? Or is it worldwide?

When you watch some gigs in europe and south america there are alot of young people in the crowd.

Are U2 just uncool and not relevent in the english speaking countries? Or again is it worldwide?

Is this anti bono thing just an english and american thing? Or is it worldwide?

When you watch some gigs in europe and south america there are alot of young people in the crowd.

Are U2 just uncool and not relevent in the english speaking countries? Or again is it worldwide?

U2 still have a lot of UK fans but I don't think that there has been a fresh intake since 2000.

The anti Bono thing is big over here. Very big. I think that there used to be a conscious separation with the band and Bono, but since the tax 'scandal', Edge's Malibu Paradise etc., the whole band is tarred with the hate brush. :sad:

There were kids at my school who didnt like u2 aswell and i remember a few lads who thought they were rubbish but they were just into their dance music to be fair.

Me and my best friend at the time were going through u2's back catalogue and at that moment in time it was the pop album.

Now for us pop was a very cool album because it stood up against the dance music that some of the so called cool kids were into

I pulled a lad over in a free session who didnt like u2 and was into his dance music.I said "listen to this" i passed him my sony mini disc player and put mofo on full blast. I saw his eyes light up and he was like "fuck is this u2"

I had a massive smug look on my face when i said "yes" that lad turned round and said " maybe there not so bad after all"

:)

U2 still have a lot of UK fans but I don't think that there has been a fresh intake since 2000.:

Yeah theres still a strong following here, id say the atomic bomb album grabbed a few new fans with the ipod and vertigo advert but not compared to the atyclb. I

I have one mate that i grew up with thats into his bands but he never liked u2 until get on your boots came out :) and it was the nloth album that changed his mind on them. Thats mad really aint it. Those people are few and far between i persume?

Yes it can, because it's bloody miserable in the summer. I'd take a range of 65f in January to 75f in July, all with low-to-moderate humidity, over a range of 75f in January to 95f in July, all with Satanically-high levels of humidity, any day.

Living in Tampa me agrees. Being so humid everyday to the point where u go for a walk in the spring, u come back looking like u just left the sauna. Oh what's that it's 95% humidity in march yay. :-(

Not album related, but Bono will be doing his usual campaigning stuff in France this week, according to this article. Probably will go back to London with the rest of the band once it's done, one can hope.
Cannes Lions: Kanye West, Bono and Jared Leto to Give Presentations | Billboard

Since rebranding itself the "festival of creativity," Cannes Lions has had no shortage of Hollywood talent and execs flocking to the Cote d'Azur less than a month after the iconic film festival rolls up its red carpet. This year Bono, Sarah Jessica Parker, Ralph Fiennes and Jared Leto are among the many stars who will grace the Croisette along with hit producers David Benioff (Game of Thrones), Armando Iannucci (Veep), Gale Ann Hurd (The Walking Dead) and Gareth Neame (Downton Abbey) and director Spike Jonze.

The festival, which started out solely focusing on the advertising business, has expanded to explore creative content creation and branding. For example, Bono will be there to discuss his (RED) brand, which has raised over $250 million for the Global Fund for AIDS, in partnership with global corporate behemoths such as Apple and Coca-Cola.
More than 12,500 participants are expected to converge on Cannes this week for the conference, which runs from June 16-21.

The only 50 plus year old rockers that still appeal to 20 year olds are the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Sent from my AT300 using U2 Interference mobile app

The only 50 plus year old rockers that still appeal to 20 year olds are the Red Hot Chili Peppers.

Sent from my AT300 using U2 Interference mobile app

I really dont think they do anymore, there never played on relevent radio stations and there singles barely chart now.

Back
Top Bottom