Looking for U2's comments of POP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rafiennes

Refugee
I'm working on a project and need to find U2's more recent (i.e. negative) comments about the POP album.

I've poked around on the internet and keep coming up short -- maybe a line or two here and there. But I thought I remembered some pretty damning comments by the band about the album.

And if there is one place that has this info, its this board.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Bono: "Probably our best album."

Larry: "There's a small population of U2 fans that really 'get' us. If we could play a concert to just them, that would be a dream of ours. If only there was someone who could identify and lable these fans and assemble them for us....even give them a name, that would be really helpful."

Edge: "It's the last time I wasn't on fire, according to Bono. I was ice cold!"

Adam: "What was the question again?"

:bono: It was our best album until it wasn't. New album comes out tomorrow. That one is our best.

:larry: I went on sabbatical and was replaced by a box. That's where things went horribly, horribly wrong.

:edge: I tried drugs.

:adam: I was so proud of Edge.

All members love Pop.

Larry says it's his second fave, only behind Passengers.

Yes, it's very obvious how much they love it! Just look at the nice things they've said about it over the years, and how often they play those songs they love so much! And don't forget, they love it so much they took the time to go back and redo half the songs on the record! Then left the original versions (that they love) off their "Best Of" record!

Now THAT'S love!

Oh, and to find out what they really thought about it, just look at what they said in 1996-97. You'll find it in the U2 archives under "Things we said while promoting an album", right between "HTDAAB is our best record ever" and "NLOTH is rock music from Mars!"

Like Nick said, they love Pop so much they could not hold out and went to record some songs from Pop again.

And they see those Pop songs as something so sacred, they only play it on the rare truly special ocasions.

But i maintain, Larry still loves Passengers a little bit more.

Like Nick said, they love Pop so much they could not hold out and went to record some songs from Pop again.

And they see those Pop songs as something so sacred, they only play it on the rare truly special ocasions.

But i maintain, Larry still loves Passengers a little bit more.

You're creative, I'll give you that. :)

Oh...and to the OP, I forgot to mention...Pop was HUGE in South America. Still is.

Oh...and to the OP, I forgot to mention...Pop was HUGE in South America. Still is.

The way you put it, it is like Pop is a godzilla-like monster! Ok, ok, Pop is as huge as "Ai Se Eu Te Pego", plays at all carnival balls but, come on, it's not like Pop is as huge as Roberto Carlos or Julio Iglesias... Modus in rebus, Nick...

Oh, and to find out what they really thought about it, just look at what they said in 1996-97. You'll find it in the U2 archives under "Things we said while promoting an album", right between "HTDAAB is our best record ever" and "NLOTH is rock music from Mars!"

True but not quite the complete picture.

The irony is, that when they do things like pimp their latest 'this is the best thing we've ever done' (whatever) they will also, in conjunction with that positive hyperbole, point out all the things they did wrong before and thus are determined to never repeat again.

Most of the historical revisions about POP occurred this way.
Distancing themselves from it, because (at that time, circa 2000) ATYCLB is the greatest thing since sliced bread!! ...at least for a while, until HTDAAB had to be pimped. Then suddenly ATYCLB wasn't as good (sums of its parts vs the whole). And then suddenly in U2 BY U2 (2006?) they are back to talking about how much they enjoyed POP. They'll be badmouthing NLOTH pretty soon.

It's always bullshit salesmanship.

Which is why we shouldn't defer to the band's word about the quality of the material. It's unreliable, it changes and it is entirely relative to what narrative they are trying to spin.

That said, to the OP, try the news archive over at - atU2.com.

That's the thing -- the album has its legion of fans (I being one of them).
I think it's the last great U2 album we've had as fans.
It tells a complete story -- beginning, middle and end.

I just thought I remember reading something from Bono and Edge around the time of HTDAAB about POP that pretty much dismissed it as a failure and that it was a crap album (maybe not in those words).

These are the quotes that I need to collect.

"I would go to the studio by day and club by night. I did a lot of ecstasy. A lot. The chorus for Please was written after Bono kept pleading with me to get off the carpet. I spent like an hour one night just dragging myself around the floor on my knees. In my defense, that carpet felt wonderful. Really great shag. We should get that rug back." - The Edge

"I would go to the studio by day and club by night. I did a lot of ecstasy. A lot. The chorus for Please was written after Bono kept pleading with me to get off the carpet. I spent like an hour one night just dragging myself around the floor on my knees. In my defense, that carpet felt wonderful. Really great shag. We should get that rug back." - The Edge

Words are inadequate to express how much I wish this was real.

That made me laugh pretty hard.

Anyone even half-convinced it's real ..... come on, now.

Back
Top Bottom