Let's Speculate on Tour Schedules / U2 at Croke Next Year?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It is possible that they will tour US arenas April-June, then Europe stadiums July-Sept, then US arenas again Oct-Dec, and ROW early 2010.

With a 2 month tour in Europe U2 will underplay this continent AGAIN. Back in 2005 VT sold almost 2 million tickets in Europe and there was demand for a 2,5 to 3 million tour.

Vox

Thats just it, the list is probably false. They won't start a tour in Europe in June. They'll probably start a US arena tour during the summer followed by a European outdoor leg in early 2010.

yeah, outdoor leg during WINTER makes perfect sense :doh:

Um.....who said anything about WINTER?

EARLY 2010 could be March or April. I'm sure they can more than pull that off in Europe.

They'd wait until a year after the album to tour Europe? That'd be a nightmare. The reason they usually tour Europe during the summer is because it is the easiest time to play stadiums. The weather also has to be decent too, if Europe is going to be where they play stadiums, summer would make infinitely more sense

Everything about this album launch is troubling me - well, to clarify that point, I was fine and looking forward to a traditional autumn release until...it just didn't happen and the official U2 camp went suspiciously quiet. Major rethinking is going on behind the scenes, I believe, and Daniel Lanois' vagueness doesn't help. (Though I suspect that he's in the dark as much as anyone else is now - he seemed to think that his work was done and the album ready to release in autumn 2008.)

But, we're in new territory now, where U2 appear to be deviating significantly from their tried and tested 'release the single and album in time for the Grammys and Christmas gift seasons, then start the tour in the US in the spring and head further afield etc' pattern. Maybe we'll never get to know the real reason for the album delay, but I guess it's caused some headaches in terms of tour scheduling. Forgive me for being naive, but if they were trying to route a 2009 tour, shouldn't there be rumours about possible venues circulating now? Not like the list in this thread, but 'a friend of mine works at the Staples Centre and told me that U2 have booked two shows there next May' sort of rumours? I find it hard to believe that a tour will start in Europe next summer, so I think there could be a few possibilities:

- Start the tour indoors in N America, spring 2009 (unlikely, would there be enough time for substantial rehearsals in conjunction with a promotional schedule that's bound to be heavy and extensive?)
- Start the tour in N America, summer 2009, possibly outdoors (more likely, but are they brave enough to start with a huge outdoors production?)
- Start touring in N America, autumn 2009, indoors. Then tour Far East, Australasia, S America in early 2010, Europe in summer 2010, N America autumn / winter 2010.

Even though it'd mean not seeing them live until 2010 in Europe, I'd like to throw this last one out there as what I believe is the more likely option. The delay between album release and the start of a tour would allow plenty of time for a few singles to be released, and for anticipation for the live dates to build.

Why is there an option in your list for "start the tour outside in the US" and not "start the tour outside in Europe".

Let's wait and see before we jump to conclusions.

How about: Start the show with arena concerts in Europe?

Why is there an option in your list for "start the tour outside in the US" and not "start the tour outside in Europe".

Because they haven't started a major tour in Europe in over 20 years. They've been pretty consistent when it comes to their tours. Add to that their lucrative concert promotion deal with Live Nation (an American company) and you've got a pretty good reason for them to start the tour in America.

The last major tour that started outside of the US was Lovetown tour that started in Australia (EDIT: New Zealand...but you get the point). And that tour was really just a supplemental tour to the Joshua Tree Tour and for the movie/album. The last time they started a REAL major world tour outside of the US was the Unforgettable Fire Tour that also started in Australia.

source: U2 on tour at U2tours.com

The last time they started a tour in Europe was during their "October" days. So thats why I think that we aren't exactly "jumping to conclusions". Of course they can do whatever they want, but I think going by their touring history that spans well over two DECADES we're making pretty safe assumptions here.

As someone previously mentioned, I think postponing the album release was a bad move that screwed up the potential touring schedule that they has in mind.

Totally agree.

There's no way they'll play Europe NEXT summer (2009), and there's no way they won't start the tour in America. THIS option is the only one that makes any sense.

You shouldn't speak in such absolutes.

As you told me a few days ago, unless you work for LiveNation or are a U2 insider you have no idea what they're going to do.

It was only 'my list' - I certainly have no special insights. I'd be delighted if they started a tour in Europe, but logic and common sense tend to suggest that they'll always start touring in N American indoor arenas. Why? Ask McGuinness, but I'd guess it has to be associated with economics. I don't have any evidence at hand, but believe that the most economically profitable model for touring is to play lots of shows in indoor arenas. Since U2 follow a risk-averse touring strategy, that's why I think they'll always start touring SOMEWHERE indoors, and since N America has lots of suitable venues and an efficient transportation network, it makes economic sense to tour there first (other than the border with Canada, there's no international boundaries to worry about either).

Oh, and U2 for Slane 2010? Why not? Dublin's a two hour drive for me, but Slane's only an hour down the road! Or, if they ever deigned to throw out the rulebook and play European indoor arenas again, then there's a great one in Belfast that would be even better though...

that s SOME analysis!:sexywink:
earlier this year, when U2 attended their U23D film Premiere at the UGC on Parnell Street (Dubliners will know what I am talking about :love: ) Adam said - half jokingly?- that they wanted to play their first EU gig at Landsdowne Road instead of Croke... anyone knows if works at Landsdowne Road will ever be finished?? If not we are screwed lol

-stadium tours make more money than arena tours
-with the album being delayed a bit, it means the tour will most likely start in the summer, which is the best time for a stadium tour
-u2 can sell out stadiums in many markets in Europe, u2 cant sell out in as many cities in the us.

so why would u2 risk a rocky start to the tour by playing non sold out stadiums in the us? they wont, they will start the tour in europe over the summer, it makes the most sense.

This thread is all about shodwo boxing and fan hysteria: We haven't got an album yet, U2 haven't announced an official publishing date yet not a Single, accompanied with a video, from the forthcoming album ....
All we've got are rather obscure/rhetorical/meaningless/ironic statements or hints (by video, by audio) by the band members and their circle, that only make one point clear: the works hasn't been done yet, it hasn't been finished.

Before this fact doesn't change, there'll be no official talk about an eventual tour –?whenever, whereever. It's that easy ...

This thread is all about shodwo boxing and fan hysteria: We haven't got an album yet, U2 haven't announced an official publishing date yet not a Single, accompanied with a video, from the forthcoming album ....
All we've got are rather obscure/rhetorical/meaningless/ironic statements or hints (by video, by audio) by the band members and their circle, that only make one point clear: the works hasn't been done yet, it hasn't been finished.

Before this fact doesn't change, there'll be no official talk about an eventual tour –�whenever, whereever. It's that easy ...

Um, we are WELL aware there is no album. In fact, the opening post states that no album news means tour speculation is just speculation. But we are bored and desperate and this fills the time. And this thread has managed to contain the wilder guesses and focuses mostly on trying to be logical and "outguess" how the band will structure their tour. So don't pee in our cheerios just cause you are a hater. If you don't like speculation threads, then don't read it.

Before this fact doesn't change, there'll be no official talk about an eventual tour –·henever, whereever. It's that easy ...

Read the title of the thread FIRST, THEN post.

I would suggest following that order in your next post.

Spring 2009, arenas in US. No way will they wait until 2019 or not start the tour in the States.

Stadiums will probably depend on the demand/economic situation there.

There was recently a quote from the edge that said the album will release in March or April. So maybe those of you who think the tour will start in Europe in the summer are correct.

Why not start with Europe INDOOR, USA INDOOR, followed by Europe OUTDOOR and USA outdoor.

I wanna see them play intimate indoor venues!!!

I wanna get tickets to see them play

An indoor European tour they'd probably sell tickets for twice or three times the price...otherwise it'd be one of the biggest nightmares ever getting tickets

Read the title of the thread FIRST, THEN post.

I would suggest following that order in your next post.
:| No need to be that gentle, folks, hm? Keep cool, I know, these times are rough, but ... All I'm saying: Don't get lost on your speculations, don't run for your next ticket agency to buy scalper tickets for a non existing tour, because all in here – is pure speculation :lol:

:| No need to be that gentle, folks, hm? Keep cool, I know, these times are rough, but ... All I'm saying: Don't get lost on your speculations, don't run for your next ticket agency to buy scalper tickets for a non existing tour, because all in here – is pure speculation :lol:
well, the word 'speculate' is in the the freaking thread title, so i think most are well aware.

I saw this posted on a Kings of Leon message board:

"A reliable sourse has informed me that Kings Of Leon will again support U2 during there world tour in 2009. No word yet about how many shows or what continents though. U2 will be touring the whole world for big stadium shows starting in the Spring 2009. The tour will be announced either the start of December or early January 2009. "

happyalonedotcom forum - Kings to support U2 again during 2009

I expect U2 will announce their new album and tour at the same time in early january. Sort of an explosion of information. That'll get some hype going, especially if they do it on the release of the first single.

Just gotta get 2008 over with now!

I saw this posted on a Kings of Leon message board:

"A reliable sourse has informed me that Kings Of Leon will again support U2 during there world tour in 2009. No word yet about how many shows or what continents though. U2 will be touring the whole world for big stadium shows starting in the Spring 2009. The tour will be announced either the start of December or early January 2009. "

happyalonedotcom forum - Kings to support U2 again during 2009

Well thats some pretty cool news. It also says alot too. The band wouldn't announce a tour before revealing info about a new single/album.

I mean how crazy would it be to plan a world tour before an album is finished???

:hmm: Ahhhh yeeeeah...they already did that with POP. Baaad Idea!

Back
Top Bottom