July 23, 2011 TCF Stadium Minneapolis III: Stuck In A Heat Wave You Can't Get Out Of

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What was with the end of Moment? Bono didn't say anything... was the band pissed about the rain?

Not from what I gathered. Larry tried to say something at the end, but the mic was off. Bono then ran back up to sing the first line of "I'm Singing In The Rain", which might've been what Larry was trying to get us to do?

Either way, doesn't sound like they were in a bad mood if they did that. Sure, they probably didn't like being wet as much as we were, but it seemed like they were having fun with it. Bono was running around, Adam was taking off his shirt, etc. etc. :)

5uytfa

Hey everyone. First time poster. Just wanted to say that today was my first U2 show and my mind is blown. I can't come down from the high of that experience. It was religious in a lot of ways.

Carry on...

I thought the show was very good. Edge had guitar problems early on before the rain. then continuing into the rain. Bono and Adam worked their asses off. Edge wanted to go out into the rain but knew said guitar problem would most likely crop up again. But the pit crowd was the worst I've run into. At least on my side (Edge). Either knuckle-dragging mouth breathers that think it is a Metallica concert or stupid girls screaming for no reason. All fucking night. Even during Sarajevo. And the Amnesty volunteers who tried to get in front of us were tools and need to be slapped. Some Somalians butted in front of a group of well behaved folks and security was called after they were asked nicely not to bust up their group. We slogged through the douche bags and enjoyed the show. The people in the seats didn't sit down all night and seemed to enjoy it even when it was pouring. All of this made me wish for Montreal #2. Great crowd and setlist. The guys are on cruise control for the next couple.

Brilliant show.. something magical happened. Was upper deck and watched 60 thousand people say F it.. lets dance in the rain. Some BIG time lightning and thunder during the show. Bono sang just about every single song with the word rain in it including Purple Rain which was a nice touch.

Bono was in a fantastic mood tonight joking around all night and had a great line towards the end of the show where he was thanking those who were here. Then someone right in front yelled something out and he said "Who is here?" and I guess it was just someone named Holly to which Bono said "Hey everyone Holly is here" and the crowd ate that up.

Also for females.. Adam took off his shirt in the rain and I can honestly say as a guy.. I hope I look that good at his age.

Overall a fun fun FUN wild show with the heavy rain. This was a classic based on the vibe and man do I love this setlist.

got a GREAT spot outside circle even though couldn't get there till 5:45! thankfully, flight was early.

I had the best time- and, honestly, I think the band was totally into it. I agree, the rain added to the fun...and I enjoyed seeing the whole stadium on it's feet. once again, I Will Follow tested the stadium's strength.

I also think it's a bittersweet few last shows for the boys. Had the weather held out, we may have heard a couple more, but no complaints here. It was epic.

Loved every moment of it. Unbelievable. What a great night. And the rain just made it even more memorable. Totally. Blown. Away.

@BLACKHAWKSJON: I was also on Edge's side in the pit and wanted to punch those Amnesty jerks. They were equally annoying when they were trying to get sigs while we were standing in line. So arrogant. I asked the guy at the end of the 10 people that were pushing through why he thought it was OK what he was doing and he said "Because I've been outside getting signatures for the last 5 hours, bitch. It's none of your business!" Wow. :ohmy: Such great PR for Amnesty International! Not.

Never been in the pit before but I thought it was a lot of fun. It's an experience that's worth the committed effort needed to get there. And I do mean committed. Most of the people in there were really cool and complete fans. The 2 older people smoking pot and getting wasted was a little wierd. They were in some sort of a time warp circa 1975.

Anyway. Whoever the guy was from Atlanta/Canada holding the book that showed us how to get into the pit. THANK YOU SO MUCH!. My husband loved the show and he didn't even want to go with me to begin with. He is now a U2 fan. :applaud:

And if I screamed when you didn't want me to I sincerely apologize although I don't thnik I ruined anything for anybody and didn't do it too much. I was just very moved and I really love these guys. Forgot how much until last night....
:hyper:

I am sure it wasn't you screaming. But it is too bad the Amnesty people we total tools. I had to physically move 2 of them. I gave them 5 minutes as we had a couple going to the bathroom. When they didn't move....I moved them. But the crowd was so into the show. I was hoping for an extra song but it wasn't to be. I am just going through my depression now of no shows to look forward to :(

That lightning strike was effin' COOL!!! Although it did scare me a little. Mostly cuz I didn't want them to stop the show. I was told we were grounded even though we were standing on a METAL floor. Yikes.

My thoughts on the show:

We did GA for the first time and I thought it was very smooth, except going in when everyone just ran to the pit, lost my group but caught up with them and ending up in the inner circle, outer rail, mostly center.We had no problem at all with the pit, kinda close together but did not bother us.Yes, girls were screaming including us but so what?

The show: Wow, what energy from the band and crowd, much more then Chicago were people around us sat down but it did not look like anyone did here or left early at all despite the pouring rain.The rain just seemed to add to the show, everyone was soaked, including the band.Saw Adam take his shirt off, thought he would put another on but did not, very buff!! The lighting got a little scary, did not mind it when it was a ways away but the two close ones scared the crap out of me... :ohmy:

Sound was great from our point of view, and it looked like there was not a bad seat in the house at all.
Some malfunctions due to the rain, including edges guitar but what are you going to do.Noticed the leaf thing above Larry was sagging from all the rain... :)
Funny how it stopped raining at the end of the show...

Got some very good videos, including edges guitar breakdown and Holly is here, will post when done uploading

We were #1060 & 1061 in line - had made the decision before hand to stand near sound system to take The Claw in, but when we got in, we ended up two people deep from outer ring, so stayed there to, as hubbie said "See Bono's panties...". Most awesome U2 concert I've ever been to!!!

That lightning strike was effin' COOL!!! Although it did scare me a little. Mostly cuz I didn't want them to stop the show. I was told we were grounded even though we were standing on a METAL floor. Yikes.

Being in GA, that was my fear the whole day. And considering that I happened to be front rail dead center in front of Bono the whole show, I didn't want for anything to be called early! Luckily, we got all the songs last night, and we didn't have to miss out on any in the end. ;) Definitely the most memorable show I've been too so far!

A few videos from my point of view last night:

Pride (HD, but a bit shaky):
‪U2 - "Pride (In The Name Of Love)" - Minneapolis, 7-23-11‬‏ - YouTube

The Fly:
‪U2 - "The Fly" - Minneapolis, 7-23-11‬‏ - YouTube

UTEOTW:
‪U2 - "Until The End Of The World" - Minneapolis, 7-23-11‬‏ - YouTube

The first minute of SIAMYCGOO:
‪U2 - Part of "Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of" - Minneapolis, 7-23-11‬‏ - YouTube

Last half of One:
‪U2 - The Last Half of "One" - Minneapolis, 7-23-11‬‏ - YouTube

Great footage trevgreg! Of course being able to look up Bono's nostrils helps. Yep. That was memorable. It seemed like they WANTED to play another song at the end (when they were lined up together) when the crowd was shouting "one more song" and that it crossed their minds momentarily but then Bono shook his head and swiped his hand away and ran up to the mike to start "singin' in the Rain" (again) and then scuttled out. Did anyone else interpret it like that? I really thought they.....just.....might....do...it.

And thx to the internet and cameraphones we can all relive it for eternity. Wish they had this kinda stuff when I was an uber fan in the 80's. :sad:

Yeah, it kind of seemed to me like before MoS they'd decided that MoS would be it, but maybe Bono was a little disappointed it had to be! ;)
My first hometown show, and B seemed to love the crowd. I was happy about that!

Amazing, amazing show. Nice setlist change up, a shame about no Out Of Control or Bad after Moment of Surrender... but man, to be in that rain when they were playing, it really felt like the crowd & the band really connected, the crowd wasn't going anywhere, so the band decided not to...

I scored the back rail and had no problems with anyone, we renumbered yesterday morning... can't say that the GA line was ran as smooth as Denver, there were a few attempts at jumpers, but all in all, pretty organized.

Edge definitely had some trouble with guitars, Until the End of the World, Streets, Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me... Dallas was working hard last night...

I want to be clear I don't mind the screaming. I was too.....a lot. But shrieking screaming during Stuck, Miss Sarajevo, the intro to One, etc......you are one of 'those' people when you do that. And it was weird as there was no alcohol. No problem being excited. Just don't be 'that' annoying person where everyone is turning around and staring at you like 'WTF?!'

I sensed with the weather that they wouldn't play another. But playing all the way through.....the energy of the crowd was awesome. Met some fun folks around us. I am just going to miss it for a couple + years. The little lady enjoyed lots and lots of leather pants shots :)

I was up front over on Adam's side and THOUGHT I heard extended shrieking during Miss Sarajevo. Thought maybe I was just hearing some random...noise or something, but it sounded like girls shrieking/fangirling at B.

That shit was fun. :heart:

As for the seats, from what I could tell, the whole place was just completely into it. A few people bailed early (I'm guessing due to rain/lightning - one couple left halfway through MOS, so I knew they were the lame-os trying to beat traffic :wink: ), but I was so happy that it was such a great crowd.

My parents were awfully good sports. :wink:

So glad to have met a bunch of you! :)

Great footage DRay! Love the intro and EBTTRT video in particular. :) My camera also died midway through the show, so I didn't get as many pictures as I liked (still got some, so it wasn't a total loss). The video camera on my phone isn't great, but it got seem decent footage at times, including this one below (seems like people are liking this one in particular, despite the sound).

‪U2 - The Ending of "Walk On" - Minneapolis, 7-23-11‬‏ - YouTube

I was up front over on Adam's side and THOUGHT I heard extended shrieking during Miss Sarajevo. Thought maybe I was just hearing some random...noise or something, but it sounded like girls shrieking/fangirling at B.
You know why they were doing that? Remember Bono was leaning over the bridge and tried to reach down, and some girl who was up on someone's shoulders tried to get her Brazilian flag to him, but she couldn't find her balance to throw the flag to him. And then some other girl started getting on someone's shoulders too. That's why people were a little noisy during Miss sarajevo. :angry:

But other than that, what a fun night! This trip was so memorable. Met a lot more Interferencers (and I thought I had met a lot!), had a great time getting rained on in the line. Had an awesome time at the concert because of the rain. It made the experience so unique and not like any other.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom