July 20, 2011- New Meadowlands Stadium - East Rutherford - Part 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also - Dazz, no get-together this year. Also I'm glad I'm not doing GA. Have already had two incredible GAs in my dream spot in pit right in front of DHE, and one on outer rail right in front of him too. Out of 11 shows I'm satisfied. Other fans deserve a chance too - not so greedy I have to do them all like that.
:wave:

thanks for letting me know

oh wayyy cool GAs!

Couldn't agree more. I'll settle for getting in line at 3:30 on concert day like Philly and ending up in the middle of the pit, center stage... :). And we were blessed with amazing weather in Philly.

yes AND thank goodness there WAS a breeze!!!

b/c 5 hours on essentially a "tar beach"
with the GA line up on the southern side guaranteeing full sun blast
I don't burn easily and I still have the red look! :lol:

but not painful ( I guess even light Olive skin color has some benifets!)

It really was a pretty day!

and one smokin' hot show!

Well, I was thinking of saying "Line Nazis" instead of "line leaders", but I thought that would be a bit rude. ;) I hope everyone has a great show, regardless of whether they are doing GA or not.

And I am so glad the show isn't today-- Supposed to be strong thunderstorms from 6 pm onward... that would not be fun in the line or stadium!

Ally, I'm confused, who is the line leader? Is it someone who works at the stadium or a fan? How do we know your information is correct and your not sending people on a wild goose chase? I'm just asking and certainly not accusing anyone of anything, just want to know how do we know its legit?

dazzledbylight said:
yes AND thank goodness there WAS a breeze!!!

b/c 5 hours on essentially a "tar beach"
with the GA line up on the southern side guaranteeing full sun blast
I don't burn easily and I still have the red look! :lol:

but not painful ( I guess even light Olive skin color has some benifets!)

It really was a pretty day!

and one smokin' hot show!

You are right-- luckily I was only on the "tar Beach" for 2 hrs or so... Sunscreen and an umbrella are a must for the line on Wed!

But that moon and the weather really added to an amazing night. I was just a few people in front of where Bono and The Edge dropped the rose. Is that something they do at every concert? If so, I think I'll try to stand a few feet farther back toward the rail on Wed... :)

Ally, I'm confused, who is the line leader? Is it someone who works at the stadium or a fan? How do we know your information is correct and your not sending people on a wild goose chase? I'm just asking and certainly not accusing anyone of anything, just want to know how do we know its legit?

all GA lines are run by fans. No the line has started she is being truthful.. Basically all the shows so far have had the line start 2 days before. Granted it's just a handful of people who take turns keeping the line going. At some point these leaders are in touch with security at the venue to coordinate and inform security about what we are doing. And security moving these people to the proper areas, etc.

all GA lines are run by fans. No the line has started she is being truthful.. Basically all the shows so far have had the line start 2 days before. Granted it's just a handful of people who take turns keeping the line going. At some point these leaders are in touch with security at the venue to coordinate and inform security about what we are doing. And security moving these people to the proper areas, etc.

Thanks I was just wondering someone told me something last time a the stadium that wasn't at all correct, thats why I am asking. :sexywink:

I hear ya and I am quite aware of whats been the protocol for this leg and its just ridiculous... but Line leaders? ok then :crack: its a concert people should just go get in line day of or whatever and call it a day....I just have an issue with people creating rules for a show and I dont even line up early..it is what it is...hope everyone enjoys regardless :)

It's their fleeting little power trip to run these lines.

They should go back to that vertigo buzz in system. At least different people got a chance to get in the first couple rows every night. Now you have the same people at every show right up front dead center.

Steved1998 said:
It's their fleeting little power trip to run these lines.

They should go back to that vertigo buzz in system. At least different people got a chance to get in the first couple rows every night. Now you have the same people at every show right up front dead center.

It doesn't really matter. The pit is so big on this tour that you can walk right in at 5pm or later and be a mere 5 to 10 feet from the smelly people who camped out for give days without food or water like a scene our of into the wild our somethin.

It's not that good a view from that close anyways... You have to look straight up, can only really make out the guys when they're on the edge (see what I did there?), and completely lose the effect of the claw.

Plus you likely have to stand near Amp, which is bad for your health. He bites.

It doesn't really matter. The pit is so big on this tour that you can walk right in at 5pm or later and be a mere 5 to 10 feet from the smelly people who camped out for give days without food or water like a scene our of into the wild our somethin.

It's not that good a view from that close anyways... You have to look straight up, can only really make out the guys when they're on the edge (see what I did there?), and completely lose the effect of the claw.

Plus you likely have to stand near Amp, which is bad for your health. He bites.

I was in the pit on 9/24.. right in the middle. It wasn't a bad spot, but it got too crowded and I went back by the soundboard and had a better time anyway.

Jumping on the plane tomorrow morning from Chicago to NYC baby!!! Anybody getting together tomorrow night? It is going to be tough to sleep tonight.....I should have flown out now!!!:hyper: Don't miss it Edge and Bono on Letterman tonight!!:applaud:

one4u2 said:
No I think those who already have #s will be there at 5 am but dont quote me on that...

This is true. They will probably have a checkin at 5am and another at 8 am (when the stadium either moves us or what not). The line leaders will cross off people with numbers who are not there. People with numbers will have to be at both checkins. This is how it was done in Philly.

All the power to everyone doing the line up thing. I certainly don't envy them. Hopefully they won't have to deal with line jumpers.

I'm heading into NYC tomorrow morning, and the only thing stressing me about Wednesday is the weather, and the fact that I'm doing GA. What the hell was I thinking? :doh:

All the power to everyone doing the line up thing. I certainly don't envy them. Hopefully they won't have to deal with line jumpers.

I'm heading into NYC tomorrow morning, and the only thing stressing me about Wednesday is the weather, and the fact that I'm doing GA. What the hell was I thinking? :doh:

Moody, I've been thinking the same thing about GA! I have a bad back these days, and I'm wondering how I'll be feeling after several hours on my feet. Oh well...I'm still going for it!

As for where I'll be standing, well, I'm driving to the Meadowlands with my sister and brother-in-law (who have seats) and we'll be getting there at 7 PM or so. So I won't be near the pit, but I'd rather spend some time with my sis and BIL than wait on line for hours.

I have a feeling, that when My Band walks on stage, any discomfort will be forgotten and I'll have a huge smile on my face for the entire set!!!

dublin said:
Jumping on the plane tomorrow morning from Chicago to NYC baby!!! Anybody getting together tomorrow night? It is going to be tough to sleep tonight.....I should have flown out now!!!:hyper: Don't miss it Edge and Bono on Letterman tonight!!:applaud:

Bono and Edge will be at the Spider-man show tomorrow (Tuesday) night.

Just scored a GA ticket in the drop tonight. Yay!! What time is a reasonable time to get there? And how is getting in the inner ring working on this tour? And the talk about line leaders and numbers?? (sorry, been out of the U2 loop lately). Is this run by the venue - meaning does it hold any weight at all?

I'd love to meet other fans in line and be pit buddies!

How GA worked in Philly

Hi everyone: I was on GA at the U2 show in Philly last week, so I figure it's a good indication of what will happen at Meadowlands.

First off: I expect the line at the New Jersey show to get longer more quickly. Already people seemed to have started the line earlier, and tickets on the aftermarket were twice the price for NJ as Philly.

A core group of fans organizes the whole thing, maybe 10 people. They get there 1-3 days early, starts a list, and seem to take turns keeping the line alive. If you show up that early, you are allowed to leave, but they seem to have rules about checking back in at specific timeframes. I heard this from others.

On the actual day of the show, the line seems to really get started around 4am. I got there at 5:45 for Philly, and was number 155 or so. I expect the same time in NJ to get you a higher number.

The fans who organize the line are completely unofficial, so they try to keep checking in on everyone just to ensure that we all keep agreeing that they are in charge. I really appreciated their efforts.

At first, the line is likely not on stadium grounds, and then moves to stadium grounds once security wakes up. The organizers' main goal is to get buy in from security. At this point, security can choose to work with the fans organizing the line, or ignore them completely. I've heard all kinds of stories about this working and not working.

From there, they move you onto the grounds into an organized area. The fan-oranizers come around again a couple hours into it (maybe 8 or 9am) and then put a circle around the number on your hand. From there, the line just gets longer and longer.

By around 2-3pm they asked that everyone put stuff back in their car - coolers, umbrellas, all the big stuff that isn't going into the show.

At a similar time, security comes around and checks your tickets, marks it, and then gives you a wristband. Maybe NJ will be different, but that's how it was in Philly.

Then, you wait to hear sound check, usually around 4ish.

After that, they begin getting the line ready to go in. It was supposed to be 4:30-5 in Philly, but was a bit later. This is the hardest part of the day because you are still standing on blacktop in full sun, but without umbrellas, a cooler, etc. We waited for 2 hours like this.

Note: this is your last reasonable chance to use the bathroom.

They let us in in groups of 100, which went really quick. You basically do a walk/run into the stadium. For inner circle, you have to go around the side of the stage to the back, then loop back around to the front.

I ended up center stage, 3rd row. The people in front of me had numbers in the 20s. The people behind me, in the mid 200's. So everything kind of evens out. The inner circle was PACKED.

Before the opening act went on, I snuck out to use the bathroom and get water. I was able to get back to my spot, but it wasn't easy. So if you are going to do this, do it well before U2 goes on.

Hope this helps. I don't have a ticket for NJ - I couldn't justify the cost of the ticket on the after market (nearly $200), plus it's going to be hotter in NJ than it was in Philly.

Definitely bring a huge umbrella, a cooler, chairs, and sun tan lotion. If you are out of the sun, it's all very bearable. If you are in the sun, it's another story.

Good luck everyone!
-Dan

Looking for 2 general admission tickets if someone could please help me out. Robcliffe@Rogers.com or pm.

Thanks

If I show up at stadium will i be able to buy ga's there? Flying in from Toronto to try my luck.

I'm setting up a rival GA line at the Stadium right now while they're still at the other building. I just want to see them get aggravated and panicky when they move over.

oh noes I wont get the rail :panic:

I'm not really going for U2, just for Interpol. They rock. Is the "The U2" band any good?

DanU2 - thanks for the input. I've been doing this GA shinizzle with U2 for years and personally, I much more enjoyed when they had seats on the floor. Maybe I'm getting old, but I enjoyed getting to the Popmart shows around 530pm and not worrying about all this shinizzle.

New York/NJ lines are the slowest GA lines you will see. Why because no one whose got a GA in New York can be bothered to leave work early and wait online. Especially those who overpaid for their tickets on ebay.

I like this fan cam they have now, you can see all the U2 GA LineNaxi crazies who are up front for every single show. I'm glad that they can take three weeks off work to do this. It's there choice, but it is rather click-ish, and rather humorous too.

I think I'm going to take a marker and write 8,456 on my hand tomorrow and show it to the person who is #89 or #156 or something and say Wow, I just got here...

fyi... there are approx 60 people on the GA line list as of now.. I am not sure it's going to be 'slow' if there are that many people on the list now. Granted if they are not there at 5am for checkin/roll call they will get crossed off. So the numbers on the list will definitely be shifting.

XBL, are you always such a smart ass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom