Is there an album on the horizon? (AKA New Album Speculation)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
They shouldn't complain about what they hear or don't hear. They should enjoy the experience for what it is.

if you go to a gigantic stadium to see a legendary act, there is an expectation. maybe we shouldn't have these expectations, but there are lots of "should's" and "shouldn't's" in life, aren't there.

OK I re-read my post and that was inflammatory to some folks. Sorry. :ohmy:

i agree with you. bad taste is universal. just because Europe likes U2 more than the US does not mean that Europe has overall better taste. there is god-awful stuff everywhere.

(though, at the end of the day, i have to say the UK wins).

And you shouldn't leave the crowd to go pee, because being a good, attentive U2 fan is more important than tending to bodily functions.

But it's not about the complaining or the bitching. It's that these concert goers start to kill the mood when U2 pulls out a Blue Room, new song, or any deeper cut. It makes it hard for U2 to keep these songs in their setlists. You can't force these people to cheer loudly, no matter how great the song is, some people will just not enjoy the song unless they know it.

They kill the mood? I've never been to a U2 show where the mood gets killed, regardless of what song they play. The PopMart audience was one of the best I've been in. Fucking insane group of 60,000.

The unreleased songs they've been playing have been bad, and the version of Blue Room was terrible. If it was as good as the album version, which I reckon a few million have heard, they would have liked it. I think quality is the issue.

If they know won't enjoy a song they don't know, it's their fault for not familiarizing themselves with the band. They should be prepared.

if you go to a gigantic stadium to see a legendary act, there is an expectation. maybe we shouldn't have these expectations, but there are lots of "should's" and "shouldn't's" in life, aren't there.

One of them is that there shouldn't be stadium concerts.

If they know won't enjoy a song they don't know, it's their fault for not familiarizing themselves with the band. They should be prepared.

on one hand, i've actually wondered what a U2 show would be like if you had to take a test to get in -- you know, history questions, recognizing songs, maybe essays on their influences. the top 15,000 scores get to see them or whatever.

but then again, that audience might be insufferable.

I'd say the mood-killing at some shows is due to people who are just there to be there, not because they don't want to hear non-hits.

Obviously, there's cross-over between those groups obviously, but the mood gets killed because people are futzing with their iPhones, talking to their friends, going to get beer, not because they're crossing their arms with impatience waiting for them to play something they know.

Part of it is because it's a stadium, and there are so many tickets available, it becomes an event that people are going to go to no matter how many U2 songs they know.

U2 could play only their big hits and you'd still have dumbasses standing there fucking around with their phones, trying to find the Cigarette Lighter app to wave around during the song (this happened with the people in front of us in Chicago), or trying to upload their pictures to Facebook (ditto).

I've seen it hunreds of times.

You've seen the mood get killed hundreds of times, at U2 concerts? I don't see how that's possible. Must have been pretty bad shows, or bad crowds. And you must have seen them hundreds of times. Maybe your town sucks!

I'd say the mood-killing at some shows is due to people who are just there to be there, not because they don't want to hear non-hits.

Obviously, there's cross-over between those groups obviously, but the mood gets killed because people are futzing with their iPhones, talking to their friends, going to get beer, not because they're crossing their arms with impatience waiting for them to play something they know.

Part of it is because it's a stadium, and there are so many tickets available, it becomes an event that people are going to go to no matter how many U2 songs they know.

U2 could play only their big hits and you'd still have dumbasses standing there fucking around with their phones, trying to find the Cigarette Lighter app to wave around during the song (this happened with the people in front of us in Chicago), or trying to upload their pictures to Facebook (ditto).

People have to quit using their phones at shows! It's so fucking annoying.

I know this is a minority opinion, but I honestly don't mind when people are taking pictures (assuming the people in front of me don't have them held up for the entire show).

That's just the way it is these days, and I understand the desire to want to try and preserve it and share it with friends via picture or video. (I mean yeah, it's a better experience to just experience it, but I get wanting to capture it.) I'm guilty of doing it too, although thankfully I learned to recognize when I was getting ridiculous and to put the camera away. :lol:

But people who are just playing with their phones or texting their friends every two minutes at a show need to have them slapped out of their hands. Or calling someone and trying to have a conversation over a zillion decibels of music? Cut that shit out. Your friend on the other end of the line is not amused, either.

I killed the mood at the Pearl Jam show I saw last year because I was just plain bored.

Sorry, Eddie. I just don't like you guys as much as I thought I did.

I realized I didn't like Pearl Jam much anymore while at a concert. They were doing their thing, and I didn't enjoy it. Maybe I should have got a bumb from the coke heads beside me.

They were doing their thing, and I didn't enjoy it.

That sums up my experience. (Minus the cokeheads part.)

The band was tearing it up, the crowd was into it, and I just smiled, shrugged, said "oh well," left early and got to bed at a reasonable hour.

You've seen the mood get killed hundreds of times, at U2 concerts? I don't see how that's possible. Must have been pretty bad shows, or bad crowds. And you must have seen them hundreds of times. Maybe your town sucks!
I've seen them in about 6 different towns. They weren't bad shows, but some songs DID NOT go over so well.

I realized I didn't like Pearl Jam much anymore while at a concert. They were doing their thing, and I didn't enjoy it. Maybe I should have got a bumb from the coke heads beside me.

Next time do your homework and prepare.

Bands should start giving pop quizzes.

"You there! Name this song in three notes! ... WRONG! Get out!"

I've seen them in about 6 different towns. They weren't bad shows, but some songs DID NOT go over so well.

Next time do your homework and prepare.

What does doing homework have to do with not liking a band anymore? I just stopped liking Pearl Jam and don't see them anymore, though I check out their albums.

Were the songs bad versions? Which ones flopped? If they were good performances, then the band did all they can do. If one crowd doesn't like it, fuck them.

But really, if you've seen the mood die hundreds of times at a few U2 shows, they must have been really terrible crowds. That is highly unusual, and I suspect you are exaggerating.

What does doing homework have to do with not liking a band anymore? I just stopped liking Pearl Jam and don't see them anymore, though I check out their albums.

it's their fault for not familiarizing themselves with the band. They should be prepared.
You didn't seem prepared. You should have listened to a live album and familiarized yourself with how they sounded live.

Were the songs bad versions? Which ones flopped? If they were good performances, then the band did all they can do. If one crowd doesn't like it, fuck them.
No they were awesome. For example all the ZooTV shows I went to RTSS was amazing but got minimal applause.

But really, if you've seen the mood die hundreds of times at a few U2 shows, they must have been really terrible crowds. That is highly unusual, and I suspect you are exaggerating.
And I expect you're playing purposefully ignorant in this discussion, for this is pretty common knowledge in here. Especially this tour and PopMart with the new songs.

I'm somewhat inclined to agree with this. I go to a lot of shows where I don't know the artist, because I love music and I like discovering new things. If I don't know a certain artist, I'll do a fair amount of research just so I'm familiar with a few songs at the very least.

You didn't seem prepared. You should have listened to a live album and familiarized yourself with how they sounded live.

No they were awesome. For example all the ZooTV shows I went to RTSS was amazing but got minimal applause.

And I expect you're playing purposefully ignorant in this discussion, for this is pretty common knowledge in here. Especially this tour and PopMart with the new songs.

1. What does "I don't like them anymore" mean to you? When I lost interest in them I had around 30 live albums/bootlegs by them and had seen them twice.

2. So should they have dropped RTSS? No. It was great. It got minimal applause and they kept it, good for them. Wish they still had that attitude. What other songs flopped?

3. At the Pop Mart show I was at the crowd loved it all. All the live clips I've seen from that tour have had amazing audiences for the Pop songs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom