Is there an album on the horizon? (AKA New Album Speculation)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have no doubt that whatever they play the show will be good. That much you can never take away from them.

For me personally, the exciting thing at a U2 concert is listeningto a new song being played live, or the very old classics that sometimes don't see the light of day for over a decade or more.

If All I'm going to get is stuff from the past 10 years, then its a subpar evening for me.

The purpose for releasing a new album prior to their 2nd North American Leg was so they wouldn't be still promoting an album that came out 2 years ago.

Now yesterday, they played the final show in Argentina and they played only 3 songs from the last album. Boots, Crazy Remix, MOS.

My question is, if there's "No Album On The Horizon" !!, Are we just waiting for a Greatest Hits tour this summer??

Not that I'm complaining, If they really are going to do a greatest hits tour, I'd want to see stuff from a long time ago, from Boy and War, etc, I don't want just the hits from the last 3 albums.

I agree with this.

I would love to see a new album, but seeing as I'm going to at least 2 shows this summer, I am in no rush to see Bad, I Will Follow and EBTTRT leave the set list. Especially since I've never seen any of those live.

But if we're going to do the back catalog thing, let's go all the way with it! If U2 aren't recording or fine tuning or rehearsing new material to play live, then that time could easily be used getting songs like Another Time Another Place, Gloria, Two Hearts Beat As One, Seconds, A Sort of Homecoming, In God's Country, Trip Through Your Wires, Desire, God Part II and Hawkmoon ready!

Also, MS and IALW could be replaced by Running To StandStill and Stay. The Crazy remix could be rotated with Discotheque or Zooropa.

I can see not rotating as much through the back catalog if there is a new album out with 5 or 6 songs played each night, but when the focus is on the back catalog, then they can bring in some more variety, I think.

The purpose for releasing a new album prior to their 2nd North American Leg was so they wouldn't be still promoting an album that came out 2 years ago.

Now yesterday, they played the final show in Argentina and they played only 3 songs from the last album. Boots, Crazy Remix, MOS.

My question is, if there's "No Album On The Horizon" !!, Are we just waiting for a Greatest Hits tour this summer??

Not that I'm complaining, If they really are going to do a greatest hits tour, I'd want to see stuff from a long time ago, from Boy and War, etc, I don't want just the hits from the last 3 albums.

If it's going to be a greatest hits tour just embrace it and at least play one song from every album.

i can't get no.....satisfaction....but i try..& i try...& i try...& i try....

I agree with this.

I would love to see a new album, but seeing as I'm going to at least 2 shows this summer, I am in no rush to see Bad, I Will Follow and EBTTRT leave the set list. Especially since I've never seen any of those live.

But if we're going to do the back catalog thing, let's go all the way with it! If U2 aren't recording or fine tuning or rehearsing new material to play live, then that time could easily be used getting songs like Another Time Another Place, Gloria, Two Hearts Beat As One, Seconds, A Sort of Homecoming, In God's Country, Trip Through Your Wires, Desire, God Part II and Hawkmoon ready!

Also, MS and IALW could be replaced by Running To StandStill and Stay. The Crazy remix could be rotated with Discotheque or Zooropa.

I can see not rotating as much through the back catalog if there is a new album out with 5 or 6 songs played each night, but when the focus is on the back catalog, then they can bring in some more variety, I think.

i agree, also, why the heck are they still playing 'scarlet' & 'walk on'. Both could easily be replaced by 'heartland' & something off of PoP.

I think U2 underestimates their audiences. I also don't think they will ever play a concert full of fan favorites and obscure songs. Maybe a couple will pop in the set list from time to time, but no show will ever be dominated by lesser known songs. That would be too alienating for the soccer moms and teenagers.

It doesn't have to be filled with lesser known songs.. They can still play Vertigo, BD, Elevation and all their war horses, but they could also throw in Gloria, AIWIY, Stay and one of the better known Pop songs.. It wouldn't be that much of a stretch for them..

I think U2 underestimates their audiences. I also don't think they will ever play a concert full of fan favorites and obscure songs. Maybe a couple will pop in the set list from time to time, but no show will ever be dominated by lesser known songs. That would be too alienating for the soccer moms and teenagers.

This. They know who attends their shows, and the hardcore sector (i.e everyone here) make up a small proportion compared to the casual fans who just wanna have a good time, so play the hits goddammit. If they played a venue where the hardcore made up the majority, they'd probably play a show dominated by new/obscure songs.

I think they, and many people here, underestimate U2 fans familiarity with the music. They don't have any obscure albums, and most U2 fans probably own (in some way) most or all of them. These are the people who go to the shows. U2 can play pretty much anything, particularly from 83 - 04, and people will know the songs, and love them. There is no need to play the same shit over and over again...it has to get tiring for them. There is no reason that U2 can't draw from around 60 songs and switch up the set and have surprises every night like REM do.

U2 have sold over a hundred fucking million albums, and probably twice as many downloads! These people go to the shows! Every album has sold millions! Maybe people here just want to feel special by thinking they're hardcore and other U2 fans aren't, but come on: they are one of the most popular bands of all time, every album is known, and people who aren't U2 fans don't go to the concerts. They can play anything!

Actually, while bored at work one day I made a list of songs they could draw from:

soon
no line
magnificent
moment of surrender
unknown caller
fez
breathe
winter
cedars
stingray
mercy
crumbs
xanaz and wine
cobl
new york
electrical storm
beautiful day
please
last night on earth
staring at the sun
discotheque
crashed car
zooropa
stay
dirty day
always forever now
miss sarajevo
hmtmkmkm
ultraviolet
one
the fly
all i want is you
desire
streets
bullet
bad
unforgettable fire
bad
seconds
surrender
stranger in a strange land
another time, another place
11:00 tick tock

The only songs that people might not know are Mercy, AFN, another time, xanax and Stranger. And I don't think many would care because the songs are so good. Infinitely better than any unreleased song they played last year.

I think U2 underestimates their audiences.

Unfortunately I don't think they do.

Every U2 show I've been to(ZooTV to present) there's always been the frat boy/ corporate/ casual fan part of the crowd that just knows their hits and is there because they've heard they put on a good live show, and they unfortunately make up a noticable portion of the crowd.

I heard moans during RTSS during ZooTV.

Pop songs were being greeted with minimal applause during PopMart.

To the almost crickets response to Your Blue Room on this tour.

I think they, and many people here, underestimate U2 fans familiarity with the music.

Yes.

I heard moans during RTSS during ZooTV.

Well, what kind of moans? Depending on the kind of moaning you heard, it could mean a few different things.

a) oh boo, I hate this song!

b) oh boo, I hate this new arrangement!

c) oh boo, I must complain about something in this otherwise awesome show!

d) holy crap, this is so awesome I am having an orgasm RIGHT NOW!

e) hey baby, so you like U2, huh? Wanna do it? Right here? Awesome.

Well, what kind of moans? Depending on the kind of moaning you heard, it could mean a few different things.

a) oh boo, I hate this song!

b) oh boo, I hate this new arrangement!

c) oh boo, I must complain about something in this otherwise awesome show!

d) holy crap, this is so awesome I am having an orgasm RIGHT NOW!

e) hey baby, so you like U2, huh? Wanna do it? Right here? Awesome.

:lol:

It was a moan of play something we know...

U2 can play pretty much anything, particularly from 83 - 04, and people will know the songs, and love them.

you've obviously never been to a u2 concert. At the 360 shows I've been to most NLOTH material was met with, shall we say, indifference from the crowd. Save for 'Boots' & 'magnificent' and possibly 'moment of surrender'. That is saying that 'breathe', 'crazy tonight', 'unknown caller' & 'no line' people just stood there and looked confused or went to the bathroom. And you know what, those 3 or 4 songs have apparently been dropped from the set-list.

There is no need to play the same shit over and over again...it has to get tiring for them. There is no reason that U2 can't draw from around 60 songs and switch up the set and have surprises every night like REM do.

Yes and No. This is the biggest band in the world who has monster hits in songs like Streets, ISHFWILF, One, WOWY, Pride, Mysterious ways, Beautiful Day, SBS, Vertigo, COBL, etc.

A good portion of the crowd at any given show are seeing u2 for their one and only time. They need to hear those songs! People in here, the fanatics, need to realize once and for all U2 doesn't just cater to the blue crack fuckers who make up a very small percentage of their album and ticket sales. They need to please people who don't travel to see them and plan their vacations around u2's touring schedule. Their business model, for a band of their size and stature, demands they play to every possible demographic from the fanatic with 100k posts in the blue crack to the lowest common denominator.

However, they do have enough bonafide HITS (lots of hits!) that they do not have to play the same set-list every night. Let's say, about half of the set-list could be standard. They could play the songs listed above, standard, every night. And then have several other well known songs in rotation which would all be great songs but would keep them from playing shit like Walk On, Scarlet, In a Little While, & Miss Sarajevo every single night.

I don't know what all of this had to do with a "new album on the horizon", but at least we aren't talking about highly overrated English bands (for now).

However, they do have enough bonafide HITS (lots of hits!) that they do not have to play the same set-list every night. (for now).

:up:

that is a compromise that everyone (normal people and BC people) could live with. it would just come down to band rehearsing 8-10 more songs and we all know they don't like to do that.

Mrs. Garrison makes a good point in saying that there are certain people who are there for their first and only show and need to hear a couple big hits.

I went to see the Chili Peppers a few years ago. I'm only a casual fan, not a diehard like I am with U2. I'm sure the diehards complain about Under The Bridge being overplayed but, let me tell you, when they didn't play it in DC, I left feeling unsatisfied. They gave a great performance (well, the band did anyway. Anthony was out of it) but without that big hit, I was disappointed.

Streets is a must for every show. But I think we've seen that Pride can be effectively dropped in and out and I'm starting to think One should be used as a song for a special night or at the very least drastically rearranged. It's my favorite U2 song, but the live version sucks. Make it an acoustic or stripped down version, fuck with it, do something, but the plodding version they play now just reeks of a band going through the motions before they can get to the encore.

i guess elton figured nobody remembers Aida.

Elton's had tons of success.

And he's had TONS of bombs.

Every artist has.

The thing with SM is that it has yet to officially open. All this talk is basically about "rehearsals". The final show may change attitudes completely.

Furthermore, "Lion King" had maybe one fun song and one soaring song, but both were for kids. I never liked either. But they did the job.

From what I've heard, I like SM's songs, but obviously I haven't heard it all. We'll see.

I just hope critics and SNL and audiences give the show a chance.

One good sign is that the show is already setting records just with those "rehearsal" shows. Clearly audiences are interested. And c'mon - all of us here would definitely see it if we could. I'd rather see SM than "The Producers" or something else overdone on Broadway. So the show will probably do fine, if it is really fixed the right way.

you've obviously never been to a u2 concert. At the 360 shows I've been to most NLOTH material was met with, shall we say, indifference from the crowd. Save for 'Boots' & 'magnificent' and possibly 'moment of surrender'. That is saying that 'breathe', 'crazy tonight', 'unknown caller' & 'no line' people just stood there and looked confused or went to the bathroom. And you know what, those 3 or 4 songs have apparently been dropped from the set-list.

It's funny how different audiences behave. I've seen 4 shows and EVERYONE was rocking during "Crazy". My sister - who saw her first U2 show ever - felt that was the best part of the concert!

Furthermore, people liked "Breathe" as well. The only song that lost interest was "Unknown Caller". But to be fair, even I lost interest. It's a good album track. It's not great in concert.

I wouldn’t read anything into the specifics of Edge’s answer. “Lots of material!/What to do?” is a reflex U2 answer to a question like that. That they went from the DM sessions in France during the tour, to the very different DM nailing it down work in December-January suggests they already made that decision. He’s either giving a reflex/standard answer, or he’s trying to balance it back down in line.

The truth is probably something a bit like this… no singular reason, combination of a few things: You’re U2, it’s mid January. This album is coming together great. New direction, new sound, you’ve got the songs, you’re super confident, you think it can be BIG. It’s not another Zooropa to U2. It’s shaping up, in both content and intent, to be a BIG album, and you want to hype it as such. There’ll be no problem tying this down over the next few weeks. McGuinness is reflecting this confidence publicly – still saying they’re on track for May - and there are a couple of small signs of something kicking in in the background. Finish it off before South Africa in mid-Feb. Do that, spend February-March chillin’ and doing the admin work around a release. Hit South America. Single comes out somewhere in late April. Single is good, solid. Few weeks for big cross-Atlantic promo. Album for the NA leg. Album is a wide success - its got the hits and the respect, first time in a long time, even if that's a bit shallow and likely in part just because it's with DM. But it's exactly what you need.

NA leg is re-energised. New songs, new feel, new energy. Triumphant Glastonbury gig gives you a moment of wider acceptance and respect that you haven’t had for a long, long time. That the album you have just released is something quite new and exciting for U2, definitely helps. Announce and flog a few Euro gigs, including London and Dublin 360 ‘finale’ nights, straight off the back of that orgy of U2 love. Perfect scenario, very exciting.

Then you hit February.

As usual for U2, album not completely on time. Little bit more to do as you head to South Africa. At the same time, Spider-man really crashes headfirst into a wall at some great speed. Now after South Africa, Bono and Edge need to be in New York, full time, to nurse their $65 million baby. The album is 95% of the way there. Nothing major to do, songs are done, just those spit-n-shine finishing touches around the edges. Finishing it will be do-able, but a bit of a pain as it will all have to be relocated to New York and scheduled around B&E Spider-man bullshit, and thus, the pressure will seriously be on. More serious - the Spider-man commitment is going to head directly into the new album promo timeframe, even into the NA leg itself. No time to go big on promo, no time to give new songs a proper rehearsal, so no wholly new NA setlist, rather, it will be something that gets rolled out over time. Then even more serious - something goes wrong with Euro leg planning. That leg looks to be canned.

So, by mid Feb you have: An album that maybe still needs some work, but now under greatly changed, high pressure conditions that not all may be very comfortable with. A tour that has been halved in size, including the removal of its centrepiece gigs. A band split in two by, of all things, a fucking ridiculous broadway musical, leaving no time to promote, no time to rehearse. With all of this, probably a feeling of all the excitement being sucked out of the air. The band sits around a table in South Africa and looks at all of this and says: Fuck it.

The only way we're ever going to get a clear picture of what actually happened is if someone asks the man himself - Danger Mouse (cos we sure as hell aren't going to get a straight answer from the U2 camp).
INTERVIEWER: so, Brian. You were working with U2, right? What happened to those recordings?
DM: We recorded an album's worth of stuff. It's all done. I don't know what they're gonna do with it.
OR
DM: We were feeling some stuff out for a while, nothing concrete came out of it. Maybe we'll get together again and take another look.

So, by mid Feb you have: An album that maybe still needs some work, but now under greatly changed, high pressure conditions that not all may be very comfortable with. A tour that has been halved in size, including the removal of its centrepiece gigs. A band split in two by, of all things, a fucking ridiculous broadway musical, leaving no time to promote, no time to rehearse. With all of this, probably a feeling of all the excitement being sucked out of the air. The band sits around a table in South Africa and looks at all of this and says: Fuck it.

I'm not really sure there ever was an album to begin with. Just blind guessing, probably lots of jams, maybe 3-4 songs with finished lyrics.

You can pretty much round down anything Bono says about anything to zero these days. The man described Window in the Skies as a psychedelic pop song and thought it could be their biggest hit ever. We have Larry on record warning fans against thinking that an album would be out anytime soon.

The only part that I don't get is McGuiness. He's not akin to making ridiculously inflated statements. Maybe it was just the booze talking. Dunno.

Whatever the reason was, i think we deserve an explanation, if not an apology. Leading fans along for 2 years with absolutely nothing to show for it at the end is just poor, and informing us that there will be nothing in such a casual "oh, we really like having several directions to go in but not actually taking one like we promised!" manner just adds insult to injury.

It shows such a disconnect with/lack of respect for fans. They make these big promises obviously to keep us hooked and anticipating something, to keep us as loyal fans, yet they gave nothing back in terms of material. They didn't even use their website to inform fans of the cancellation, it was some random irish radio presenter. I guess they must feel embarrassed about having made such a big promise without delivering on it, but i find it a shame that they can't even be honest and direct with their fans. It's like they can't be bothered to communicate to us, and provide even the slightest justification for cancelling what was promised.

The fan-band relationship is in absolutely terrible condition right now. I thought u2.com was the worst thing, but now i think the band's disregard for the fans expectations of a new album is even worse. I hope when they come back after hibernation that they change things up, and treat us with a little more respect.

I wouldn’t read anything into the specifics of Edge’s answer. “Lots of material!/What to do?” is a reflex U2 answer to a question like that. That they went from the DM sessions in France during the tour, to the very different DM nailing it down work in December-January suggests they already made that decision. He’s either giving a reflex/standard answer, or he’s trying to balance it back down in line.

The truth is probably something a bit like this… no singular reason, combination of a few things: You’re U2, it’s mid January. This album is coming together great. New direction, new sound, you’ve got the songs, you’re super confident, you think it can be BIG. It’s not another Zooropa to U2. It’s shaping up, in both content and intent, to be a BIG album, and you want to hype it as such. There’ll be no problem tying this down over the next few weeks. McGuinness is reflecting this confidence publicly – still saying they’re on track for May - and there are a couple of small signs of something kicking in in the background. Finish it off before South Africa in mid-Feb. Do that, spend February-March chillin’ and doing the admin work around a release. Hit South America. Single comes out somewhere in late April. Single is good, solid. Few weeks for big cross-Atlantic promo. Album for the NA leg. Album is a wide success - its got the hits and the respect, first time in a long time, even if that's a bit shallow and likely in part just because it's with DM. But it's exactly what you need.

NA leg is re-energised. New songs, new feel, new energy. Triumphant Glastonbury gig gives you a moment of wider acceptance and respect that you haven’t had for a long, long time. That the album you have just released is something quite new and exciting for U2, definitely helps. Announce and flog a few Euro gigs, including London and Dublin 360 ‘finale’ nights, straight off the back of that orgy of U2 love. Perfect scenario, very exciting.

Then you hit February.

As usual for U2, album not completely on time. Little bit more to do as you head to South Africa. At the same time, Spider-man really crashes headfirst into a wall at some great speed. Now after South Africa, Bono and Edge need to be in New York, full time, to nurse their $65 million baby. The album is 95% of the way there. Nothing major to do, songs are done, just those spit-n-shine finishing touches around the edges. Finishing it will be do-able, but a bit of a pain as it will all have to be relocated to New York and scheduled around B&E Spider-man bullshit, and thus, the pressure will seriously be on. More serious - the Spider-man commitment is going to head directly into the new album promo timeframe, even into the NA leg itself. No time to go big on promo, no time to give new songs a proper rehearsal, so no wholly new NA setlist, rather, it will be something that gets rolled out over time. Then even more serious - something goes wrong with Euro leg planning. That leg looks to be canned.

this gets it about right.

Yes and No. This is the biggest band in the world who has monster hits in songs like Streets, ISHFWILF, One, WOWY, Pride, Mysterious ways, Beautiful Day, SBS, Vertigo, COBL, etc.

A good portion of the crowd at any given show are seeing u2 for their one and only time. They need to hear those songs! People in here, the fanatics, need to realize once and for all U2 doesn't just cater to the blue crack fuckers who make up a very small percentage of their album and ticket sales. They need to please people who don't travel to see them and plan their vacations around u2's touring schedule. Their business model, for a band of their size and stature, demands they play to every possible demographic from the fanatic with 100k posts in the blue crack to the lowest common denominator.

However, they do have enough bonafide HITS (lots of hits!) that they do not have to play the same set-list every night. Let's say, about half of the set-list could be standard. They could play the songs listed above, standard, every night. And then have several other well known songs in rotation which would all be great songs but would keep them from playing shit like Walk On, Scarlet, In a Little While, & Miss Sarajevo every single night.

I don't know what all of this had to do with a "new album on the horizon", but at least we aren't talking about highly overrated English bands (for now).

You're ignoring that millions of people have every U2 record, just like millions have every REM record. And they've had a similar number of hits, yet the only songs REM are guaranteed to play are Losing My Religion and Kenneth. I've seen both bands four times and those are the only songs I've seen at every REM show. There is no reason U2 can't do that. And play their new album. Maybe the crowd at your gig was bad, but every U2 show I've been to has had an apeshit crowd for every song. Including Electric Co.

Not that this has anything to do with a new album.

U2's relationship with its fans does suck balls, and I don't see that changing. But just because they talk about a record doesn't mean they owe us an explanation for not releasing it, though. They probably don't think it's good enough, or it won't sell. They don't owe us anything.

Whatever the reason was, i think we deserve an explanation, if not an apology. Leading fans along for 2 years with absolutely nothing to show for it at the end is just poor, and informing us that there will be nothing in such a casual "oh, we really like having several directions to go in but not actually taking one like we promised!" manner just adds insult to injury.

It shows such a disconnect with/lack of respect for fans. They make these big promises obviously to keep us hooked and anticipating something, to keep us as loyal fans, yet they gave nothing back in terms of material. They didn't even use their website to inform fans of the cancellation, it was some random irish radio presenter. I guess they must feel embarrassed about having made such a big promise without delivering on it, but i find it a shame that they can't even be honest and direct with their fans. It's like they can't be bothered to communicate to us, and provide even the slightest justification for cancelling what was promised.

The fan-band relationship is in absolutely terrible condition right now. I thought u2.com was the worst thing, but now i think the band's disregard for the fans expectations of a new album is even worse. I hope when they come back after hibernation that they change things up, and treat us with a little more respect.

This is the way I feel too. There had to be an official statement towards the fans through u2.com. After a lot of promises we have nothing and I think we won't get anything until 2014. They could easily have broken the tradition by releasing a new album within a year after NLOTH. Even if it was a bonus disc to be sold with this Album with 'lost' tracks. There are so many bands (even Coldplay did) that release an extra disc in bonus-edition.
And..... Why are there so many long gaps between remastered issues (except Boy/October/War/UABRS)? Why still no announcement of the remastered AB? I hope it doesn't follow the U2 duals way: Wait long for songs we already have had for two decades... They really have to do something to surprise me. If this is going on , I quit being U2 fan and save my money for other acts that can excite me.

Have to agree. U2's relationship with its fans is pretty shitty. Most bands do a lot better, even the bigger ones. It just seems so impersonal. Much more like the Stones than say PJ or Springsteen, which is very disappointing.

What are they supposed to say though?

If they blame it on Spider-man then the musical becomes hated by the fanbase and that story adds to the tall pile of bad press.

If they say the hype was a means of selling concert tickets there would be a backlash.

If they say they did not have the songs it will lead to doubts in the fanbase over whether they are losing or have lost their creative spark.

If they say they didn't have the "hits" then...well, pretty much nothing changes. :wink:

If they say they were scared off of releasing at the last minute then they would be embarrassing themselves publicly.

We do not know the exact reasons why the album didn't materialize but if the band was completely honest the truth would force their image to take a hit. I do not see what positives could come out of them being honest about what happened to the album.

Have to agree. U2's relationship with its fans is pretty shitty. Most bands do a lot better, even the bigger ones. It just seems so impersonal. Much more like the Stones than say PJ or Springsteen, which is very disappointing.

the stones have held online voting for which old, rarely played song fans wanted to hear on a nightly basis. they also played 81 different songs on bigger band, while u2 played 66 different songs on vertigo. similar number of shows...

:shrug:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom