Is anyone having doubt after hearing "Boots"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
song is too damn loud. Needs less compression and get it to sound like Achtung Baby, Zooropa.

Quite true; but alas, this has been the case since the last record.
I fully expect the same on this one.

I was having my doubts.......but all of the early reviews didn't peg "Get On Your Boots" to be one of the album's better songs, so it's clear that most of the rest of the release is much better upon a first listen or two.

song is too damn loud. Needs less compression and get it to sound like Achtung Baby, Zooropa. Metallica destroyed their last album I hope U2 doesnt also.

Unfortunately this is the new "way". It's not just U2 and Metallica, it's everyone. Boots is a little less loud than Vertigo, but not much.

And according to Walt Disney(the only poster who has claim to hear the album that I actually believe) this album is still a victim of the loudness war.

I hope this trend will end, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. The means to which most listeners hear music has changed therefore the mixing and mastering has changed. It sucks.

yeh I can use Audacity to bring the sound levels down to Zooropa/ Achtung levels but the Dynamics are still lost

I actually like "Boots." And I wasn't a huge fan of their last album. I can't put my finger on it exactly, but to me, it seems to be more experimental. With the bass guitar notes and vocal harmonies. Hopefully, I am using the right words. Since, I'm not a musician.

BOOTS is awesome....its amazing!!! :drool::drool:
should be a big hit, with such a catchy beat and chorus (beautiful you are...)

i think if a young popular band today with stupid MTV airplay and top 40 radioplay release it it's a smash hit and become an anthem....

I've long since felt tht "Discotheque" was and remains U2's most juvenile song. Lines about "bubble gum" and "songs in your head" scream of weak lyrics and just silly fun.

Do you know what he's referring to when hes talking about chewing bubble gum? :ohmy:

Just not quite fully sold on this single yet. Two local radio rock jocks expressed mixed feelings. I'm with them.

I'm sure the other songs will make up for whatever Boots is missing.

I hope.

I thought 'Boots' was just ok, but the video has definitely made me appreciate it more. I have high hopes for the album after instantly falling in love with NLOTH2, and the buzz on 'Magnificent' is killing me though I'm trying my damndest to avoid the 45 second clips.

Not having doubt at all.

I did go through a strange progression w/ Boots over the last month. Heard it the first time, absolutely loved it, it could do no wrong for 4 days w/ about 10 listens each day. Then I said, well its good, but nothing new or great, kind of shelved it a bit, only listened once or twice per day, did not frantically turn the XM radio dial until I found it. Now, w/ the video, and the grammy performance and a bunch more listens, I have come to absolutely love the song and think its brilliant. Those layers that Alan Cross talked about a while back, I couldnt find them, I finally found them. At first I thought the guitar and bass were indistinguishable, now I hear Edge doing his own thing in the chorus, the mini solo and during "let me in the sound." In addition, I finally found that the brilliance of this song lays in how many times it twists and turns, changes direction, etc.

Needless to say, I now really love boots.

I've grown to like Boots, and just yesterday listened to clips of the other songs on the cd and can't really say I liked any of what I heard. Nothing really moved me or jumped out at me and it all kind of sounded the same to me like they were just playing loud music in a jam session. Regardless, I remain a die hard fan and will give the cd a chance. Not everyone fan or not has fallen deeply in love with everything U2 has ever released, so NLOTH could be the one I care for least.

I'm not expecting another Achtung or Joshua Tree, I don't think we'll get another one of those until all commercial pressure is off (if that ever happens), .

that'll never happen, bono has too big of an ego now. but supposedly the album after this one, thats supposed to also be released this year is actually gonna sound like a passengers type deal. if so, i cant wait. also if you listen to the snippets of the songs on the rest of nloth, boots is the only song that resembles itself, so hopefully we'll be alright. i think they're tryin to get a wider audience, maybe teen with boots. all my friends and ppl i know hate U2. im 19, grew up listening to them since i was about 2 and always been my fav band. but i dont know anyone else my age who can say the same.

"Boots" is a fickle song for me. Just a few days ago I declared I didn't really care for it. Now I find myself liking it a little more. Maybe it's a good thing that I didn't really like it to begin with. I don't know, my verdict is still out.

After hearing "Boots"...I can tell that the song will probably never be one of my favs. But it's different from the previous 2 albums, and I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of NLOTH. One thing I'm kind of worried about, though, is that I'm afraid U2 may have changed their sound just for the sake of changing it, rather than after really being inspired by something new. I don't know if that makes sense. I'd be happy if they changed their sound, because ATYCLB and HTDAAB are my least listened to U2 albums, but I get the feeling that if they are progressing just for the sake of progression, rather than out of passion for new ideas and new sounds, this will show on the album.

After hearing "Boots"...I can tell that the song will probably never be one of my favs. But it's different from the previous 2 albums, and I'm looking forward to hearing the rest of NLOTH. One thing I'm kind of worried about, though, is that I'm afraid U2 may have changed their sound just for the sake of changing it, rather than after really being inspired by something new. I don't know if that makes sense. I'd be happy if they changed their sound, because ATYCLB and HTDAAB are my least listened to U2 albums, but I get the feeling that if they are progressing just for the sake of progression, rather than out of passion for new ideas and new sounds, this will show on the album.

I'm not sure how one goes about judging this type of departure, but for me seeing the clips from the fez sessions and hearing what I've heard so far, this is a very organic progression...

Jon Earls, who's a complete tool, said a few weeks ago that Boots sounded like Pump It Up, on his teletext page called The Void. No I don't know who sings this song either and at first he was referring to that 80's MARRS track, but that's actually called Pump Up The Volume and sounds absolutely ZERO like Boots. Now because a lot of the people who waste time sending text messages in tend to kiss his ass, someone mentioned that they are not sure whether this song sounds like Pump It Up.

Jon Earls does have a fixation with Vertigo in the sense that he thinks it's their best song they've ever recorded. When U218 came out he said that WITS was no Vertigo and when he reviewed SYCMIOYO he made not reference to the fact that it was a song with a lot of feeling. He said that Boots "had daft lyrics". That may be so, but Jon Earls is the same guy who said that Robbie Williams Rudebox, (with its line "TK Maxx costs less") was the best song he ever recorded and there has been numerous other songs he's raved about with stupid lyrics in. Maybe he's changed his mind and nowadays he values lyrics more. However on Sunday he said that Boots "wasn't as good as Vertigo" but was Vertigo that great lyrically? I think lyrically SYCMIOYO was better because it had far more meaning. I like Vertigo but I didn't like it instantly and I'm only just warming to Boots. These two songs are best listened to at a loud volume, I don't think Vertigo was the best song on the album, and another guy said that it was probably one of their worst singles. I prefer melody to my music and that's why why I personally thought City was the best track off HTDAAB.

onze doze trieze quatorze...this is miles better that that crap. more layers but its not tiramisu which is in layers it is like an onion in layers well still not bad :reject:

Like a "rock-patter" speaking/fast singing sort of song that Chuck Berry used to sing? Wasn't Vertigo similar with its quick verses? I did think that Boots sounded similar to Vertigo, so I think its far from their most innovative.

That's pretty much the only similarity it has with Vertigo... Boots has a lot more going on and is a much better song than Vertigo.

^ am in agreement . . . I still like boots, even after the euphoria of the first listening and all the excitment leading up to its realease on RTE . . . for lots of my non-u2 loving ( :ohmy: ) friends though most of them think its just an extension of vertigo . . . just saying :)

onze doze trieze quatorze...this is miles better that that crap. more layers but its not tiramisu which is in layers it is like an onion in layers well still not bad :reject:

Well this isn't exactly great. What language are you trying to speak there for god's sake.
It seems like french, like, onze, douze, treize, but that should be une, deux, tres, quatorze.
What it should be is spanish. Unos, dos, tres, catorce.

And Boots does have a lot of layers, not as much as NLOTHII, but still more than Vertigo.

While I don't hate either song, I do realise that Boots is a lot more 'serious' than Vertigo and I treat it that way. Vertigo is more a lightweight fun song to listen to, but once you focus on the lyrics in Boots it's much more dark and political.
I like that. It can be both a fun song and a more complex one, even at the same time!

Back
Top Bottom