Interference Random Music Thread Part VIII: Revenge of the Buttmeat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Today, the day we celebrating Lance's birth. The day where something came out instead of going in. That is today.

Stay thirsty, my friends.

So, Laz and NSW were talking about the Replacements in the Beatles Remastered thread last night, and Laz was gushing over "Pleased To Meet Me". I still had never heard a note of the Replacements, so I decided to d/l "Pleased To Meet Me" today and give it a chance. I have to say...on first listen, I don't get it. It's a very run-of-the-mill album to my ears. I don't see what's so special. "Skyway" was pretty good. There were moments here and there. But nothing that leapt out at me.

I saw two copies of that album at the record shop today. Thought about grabbing one, but didn't. I do like Let It Be a lot, but haven't gone much further with the band.

Is "Skyway" about the downtown Minneapolis skyway system?

I saw two copies of that album at the record shop today. Thought about grabbing one, but didn't. I do like Let It Be a lot, but haven't gone much further with the band.

Is "Skyway" about the downtown Minneapolis skyway system?

You take the skyway, high above the busy little one-way
In my stupid hat and gloves, at night I lie awake
Wonderin' if I'll sleep
Wonderin' if we'll meet out in the street

But you take the skyway
It don't move at all like a subway
It's got bums when it's cold like any other place
It's warm up inside
Sittin' down and waitin' for a ride
Beneath the skyway

Oh, then one day, I saw you walkin' down that little one-way
Where, the place I'd catch my ride most everyday
There wasn't a damn thing I could do or say
Up in the skyway

Skyway
Skyway (sky away)

Hell yeah. That's pretty fucking awesome. I'm assuming the busy little one-way is Hennepin Avenue. Sad song though, it looks like. I'll have to give the album a listen soon.

What is the best track on Yankee Hotel Foxtrot?

Pot Kettle Black.

However, Wilco's highest peaks can be heard on Summerteeth and A Ghost Is Born. Yankee Hotel Foxtrot is their most consistently strong.

So, Laz and NSW were talking about the Replacements in the Beatles Remastered thread last night, and Laz was gushing over "Pleased To Meet Me". I still had never heard a note of the Replacements, so I decided to d/l "Pleased To Meet Me" today and give it a chance. I have to say...on first listen, I don't get it. It's a very run-of-the-mill album to my ears. I don't see what's so special. "Skyway" was pretty good. There were moments here and there. But nothing that leapt out at me.

I haven't heard Pleased To Meet Me yet, but don't write off the Mats until you've heard Let It Be and Tim. They're the classics, and I personally consider Let It Be one of the strongest albums of the 80s.

Well done.

grammartimehs1.jpg

Val Jester's my least favorite, which isn't saying much considering I love all of them.

The strings in "Val Jester" are just absolutely sublime.

"Friend of Mine" also doesn't do much for me. This is probably why I prefer Sad Songs and Boxer.

"Geese" is probably my favorite song on the album, anyway.

You know what's probably in my top ten songs of the decade and I don't even fucking care? "Umbrella."

I love/loved The Replacements, but much of their works sounds dated to me know. I can understand why people who are listening to them for the first time now would not love them.

I can kind of see that, but thinking about the album, I'm still amazed at the range of the styles. Think about the differences between the delicate Skyway, the brash rave-ups of I.O.U. and Red Red Wine, the catchy pop of Alex Chilton and Valentine, the stark despair of The Ledge, the goofiness of I Don't Know, the jazzy vibe of Nightclub Jitters, and the sweeping, tattered majesty of Can't Hardly Wait.

The music is certainly nothing original, but without the context of the band's whole story, it's really about Westerberg's lyrics and melodies more than anything else, no? The guy was one of the best songwriters of the 80's, period.

Daughters of the Soho Riots, All the Wine, Abel, Mr. November, and City Middle are probably my favorites from Alligator. I generally like anything where Matt screams, which is where Abel and Mr. November come in. Best Matt scream though? "Slipping Husband."

Dear we better get a drink in you before you start to bore us

So fucking awesome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom