Interference Random Music Thread Part VIII: Revenge of the Buttmeat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I like doing things that aren't necessarily good for me. Like alcohol, tobacco, and unprotected sex with strangers. Keeps me on my toes.

I knew there was a reason I avoid posting on here drunk.

Maybe I should do it more.

But you were still pretty coherent; I'd go back and read a drunk Axver post to see the complete fucking opposite of that story.

Glad you had a good night.

But you were still pretty coherent; I'd go back and read a drunk Axver post to see the complete fucking opposite of that story.

Glad you had a good night.

I think that's a problem actually. I'm a remarkably composed and coherent drunk. In fact, all night people kept giving me shit because "It's your 21st birthday and you aren't even wasted!" which was pretty far from the truth. So they'd continue to buy me drinks and I'd continue to slowly kill myself. One night a couple years ago a friend was driving us back to campus and I threw up like three times on the way back including into a garbage can right outside my dorm. Of course public safety shows up and asks if I'm too drunk to let go home myself (I was) and asked me to walk a straight line something like 80 feet to a stop sign and back. Which I'm told I nailed like a stone sober son of a bitch.

So there's that.

The memorial service for Jay Bennett is this afternoon down in Champaign. Bunch of his former bands will be playing a tribute show down town afterwards. I know a few people who are going. Kinda wish I was there. Oh well.

You're making me want to visit Minneapolis again even more. I've even got people I love I can stay with. :hmm:

You should! We're a wonderful city with lots of cool people in it, if I may say so myself. :wink:

I went insane at Roadrunner. The indie collection was basically gone, but in its place was all sorts of great stuff.

The highlights:

Elvis Costello - This Year's Model (finally found a cheap used copy of this)
Martha and the Vandellas - Greatest Hits
Bruce Springsteen - Nebraska
Got Under a Blood Red Sky and Wide Awake in America for less than $2 apiece.
Steely Dan - Aja (on the recommendation of a few people on here, also less than $2)
Gang of Four - Entertainment!
Woodstock soundtrack (a 3LP set)
Miles Davis - Kind of Blue

But the two best ones:

Musical Youth - The Youth of Today (which includes "Pass the Dutchie")
the Shaft soundtrack

And that's maybe half of what I picked up. It was definitely a good day.

Have you not heard any THE DAN! before? Even if you don't like Aja, I'd suggest checking out their second album, Countdown to Ecstasy, which is a more rocking affair, though still pretty diverse stylistically.

Plus, Malkmus is a fan of the early stuff, or so he was quoted in an interview. :D

Speaking of getting fucked up, and the internet, and Whole Foods, and what have you, last night was a hell of a trip (turned 21). In any case, I noted a case of Interference influencing my real life in an interesting way. About the time of last call at some bar in Georgetown, the friend of mine with no morals and I started talking to this group of girls, the best of whom reminded me to a considerable degree of THE CHAN! Unfortunately they were in their own little stuck-up girl CLIQUE! all night and would hear any of it. Then outside after DC 3AM liquor lockdown said friend make some unspeakably inappropriate comments to the girls outside and ended up making some life-long enemies. Shame. In any case we started to walk back to other friend's G-Town townhouse and stopped in some pizza place. Low and behold THE CHAN and her stuck up posse had beaten us to the punch. Hilarity ensued for a good hour there, though I think I ended up charming (believe it or not) The CHAN! and her one friend to a degree where she ended up reciprocating my compliments of beauty and Chan-ishness. :up:

After they left some smoking hot Asian chick and her less than smoking Indian friend entered the temple of Za. I can't be sure, but I think I ended up kissing the two of them on the cheek all Euro-style before we left. In any case, that's not the point. Now that I'm slightly more sober than at 4AM last night, I realize the girl we followed into the pizza place was in fact not THE CHAN! from the bar. Which I feel I at least subconsciously acknowledged at the time, but what the hell. I'm afraid my true CHAN! look-alike will go unmet forever now, which is a shame.

I'm still drunk. Goodnight CLIQUE!

Happy fucking birthday, that's awesome.

Have you not heard any THE DAN! before? Even if you don't like Aja, I'd suggest checking out their second album, Countdown to Ecstasy, which is a more rocking affair, though still pretty diverse stylistically.

Plus, Malkmus is a fan of the early stuff, or so he was quoted in an interview. :D

I have not. I'll keep that one in mind too next time I'm out shopping.

Well, if THE MALK! is a fan, then they're worth a shot.

I think that's a problem actually. I'm a remarkably composed and coherent drunk. In fact, all night people kept giving me shit because "It's your 21st birthday and you aren't even wasted!" which was pretty far from the truth. So they'd continue to buy me drinks and I'd continue to slowly kill myself. One night a couple years ago a friend was driving us back to campus and I threw up like three times on the way back including into a garbage can right outside my dorm. Of course public safety shows up and asks if I'm too drunk to let go home myself (I was) and asked me to walk a straight line something like 80 feet to a stop sign and back. Which I'm told I nailed like a stone sober son of a bitch.

So there's that.

I'm the only one of my friends who never worries anyone when I get really drunk, because I have an uncanny ability to snap out of it at a moment's notice if necessary (i.e.: multiple run-ins we've had with cops).

I used to be a very upbeat but composed drunk. I always was a tad more philosophical than normal, but, you never really needed to worry about me saying anything stupid. I might have done a stupid thing or two, but, that's for another day.

The more I think about it the funnier that whole night was. My roommate just told me that we actually didn't "wander in" to that random pizza place, but that our friend who owned the house pulled a total creepster on us and actively followed them in there to be an uber-creepster. And the fraudulent THE CHAN! really didn't look anything like the real deal. I don't know what the fuck I was thinking. Maybe because it was just funny.

I won't rest until you re-enact Paul's night from After Hours someday. It's bound to happen to you if it hasn't happened to Laz yet.

I'm definitely a happy, but composed drunk. There have been a couple run-ins with cops to deal with. Mainly calming everybody else the fuck down and reminding them not to let the officers into the place under any circumstances. I have more cop stories while being stoned though...none of them bad either.

Oh, and happy birthday Lance!

There's a guy on my floor named Mark. Naturally, whenever he enters the room, I greet him exclusively with, "Oh hi Mark, what's new?"

So, Laz and NSW were talking about the Replacements in the Beatles Remastered thread last night, and Laz was gushing over "Pleased To Meet Me". I still had never heard a note of the Replacements, so I decided to d/l "Pleased To Meet Me" today and give it a chance. I have to say...on first listen, I don't get it. It's a very run-of-the-mill album to my ears. I don't see what's so special. "Skyway" was pretty good. There were moments here and there. But nothing that leapt out at me.

And the fraudulent THE CHAN! really didn't look anything like the real deal. I don't know what the fuck I was thinking. Maybe because it was just funny.

Funny? I'm sure that was it.

BeerGoggles.png

So, Laz and NSW were talking about the Replacements in the Beatles Remastered thread last night, and Laz was gushing over "Pleased To Meet Me". I still had never heard a note of the Replacements, so I decided to d/l "Pleased To Meet Me" today and give it a chance. I have to say...on first listen, I don't get it. It's a very run-of-the-mill album to my ears. I don't see what's so special. "Skyway" was pretty good. There were moments here and there. But nothing that leapt out at me.

We both gushed about it, actually. Sorry that you don't like it, such is life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom