Interference Random Music Talk Part V: A Shuttlecock by any other name...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Great pic, Impy. And I loved the Boner joke, but never saw the original post. Was it deleted??

Anyway, there are no words for how good this new Dinosaur Jr album is. If you're an old fan you'll probably appreciate it more, but I can't believe how seamless the transition from the original albums is. It's uncanny. Apparently they played last night in Los Angeles. FML.

Back to Bitte Orca, though. Can't get enough. Those female backing vox on Cannibal Resource get me all giddy.

About Michael. I always sit up and take notice when people who are around my age die of natural causes and not accidents. I know that I'm in better shape the he was, but a heart attack in someone only three years older than me is pause for thought.

My dad said the same thing after Tim Russert died last year. I think it's only natural to have that thought process.

Great pic, Impy. And I loved the Boner joke, but never saw the original post. Was it deleted??

How long until Boner comes out with some poen [sic] about how "Michael molested America before America molested him?"

Back to Bitte Orca, though. Can't get enough. Those female backing vox on Cannibal Resource get me all giddy.

Dude, the thread is right under this one*. And yeah, that might be my favorite part of the album, those vocals.

*/Scumbo'd

Ok, I just read through the "Goldblum is dead, too?" thread and I haven't laughed that hard in a long time. Lance and Impy, good God, you guys were on point last night. And Garrison and financeguy jumped in with some solid contributions.

That is a thread for the ages.

Threads like that are droppin like flies.

Gideon Yago (who used to be a news guy on MTV) wrote a piece about a first-hand experience with MJ. Joking aside, it's a surprisingly well-written piece:

My Brush With the King of Pop - The Daily Beast

My favorite part:

"You can tell a lot about a culture from the heroes it worships. Our heroes mirror our values, the virtues we extol, the vices we condemn. They are reflections of our cultural soul and for that reason alone, Michael Jackson is, was, and will remain significant. He was Pop, an era of music and America defined as much by image as content where the star was just one moving part of a money and fame engine all meant to churn out fodder for the rubes and give the people what they want. Michael gave pure, groovy, joyous escape. His music wasn’t really political, it wasn’t really sexual, it didn’t have all that much honesty or soul, sometimes it didn’t make sense, but it was danceable and in that it was completely perfect. I defy you to put on Off the Wall and not instantly get taken in by the sound, the abstract self-affirmations, the worship of beats, the heaven on a dance floor. If Elvis’ great act of iconoclasm was to walk on stage, swivel his hips and tell a generation of American it was okay to fuck, then Michael Jackson’s was to moonwalk on stage, grab his crotch and tell America it was okay to ignore reality if the production quality was good enough. He gave us all tickets to our own private Neverland and we forgave him everything: the idiosyncrasies, the seclusion, the self-mutilation, the decadence. His music was always a great escape, and when his music failed he could still hold reality at bay as tabloid fodder and a cheap ratings get. By the time of his death, he was simply famous for being famous. And for the generation of musicians who grew up in his wake, that was almost all that mattered."

He was an odd individual, there is no mistaking that...

The part in Flanagan’s UTEOW book about Jackson always stuck with me, where Jackson had asked them for the giant billboard of the Boy or War cover (I can't remember)... Rather telling if you ask me...

I just realized that Stuck at a Match Point (acoustic) is going to be the perfect place for Boner to dedicate a song to MJ. And it's already been rehearsed.

Count on it.

Anyway, there are no words for how good this new Dinosaur Jr album is. If you're an old fan you'll probably appreciate it more, but I can't believe how seamless the transition from the original albums is. It's uncanny. Apparently they played last night in Los Angeles. FML.

I mentioned earlier how much I love the single off of the album, "Over It"

At least I think it's the single. Anyway, it is unmistakably Dinosaur Jr. but also sounds completely 2009. I don't know. It kicks ass. I should check out the rest of the album at some point.

I think it was inspired by this:

BURMA DIGEST � Article � 2000 UNISON ACTIVISTS IN AUNG SAN SUU KYI MASK PROTEST

but yeah, I don't think it works for a rock concert.
Especially when like 8 out of 10 people are going to be thinking "Who the fuck is this chick?"

Consider the amount of people who are on Shuttlecock.com, then the number who will actually download and print it, and then take it to the show. If I was that motivated I'd have a custom-made 'Cock shirt and badminton equipment with me, but I probably won't.

54xesp.jpg

I just don't think you can understand how many people loved and still love Michael Jackson. The only musician I can equate him to so that you might understand would be Springsteen. I'm not saying their musical talents or material or career arks are the same and definitely not their personal lives but in terms of fanbase and sheer impact, this is the closest parallel I can draw for you. Hell, Jackson is much bigger in Europe and Asia than Springsteen.

750 million albums sold - there has to be something more than just a couple catchy tunes and luck there to sell that much, I don't care if you don’t like his music personally and if you think he's an awful human being. When it comes to entertainers, there were few like him and I don't think there will be many more.
I understand that he was the biggest thing of his time, but what I don't understand is why there's still such an emotional connection to him, twenty years later. I mean, I absolutely would understand if everyone was sad and reflective, but people are going fucking insane over this.

My mother, who is not even a Jackson fan, is annoyed with my blunt feelings about this. I was eating lunch, and she had the TV on and there was a report that a huge crowd had gathered outside his childhood home, and I said something akin to, "Are you serious? Come on!" This motivated her to rant (again) about my cynicism.

(As an aside, my mother's about 60% of the reason I can't wait for college. She accused me yesterday of never talking to her unless I was asking about dinner, despite the fact that I hold about 75 conversations a day with her. Christ.)
pfan - That makes sense. As does the difference between being even-keeled and being ... well, like me. ;)

It is interesting to think about, that time gap and disconnect. That's why I was wondering in the other thread last night, about if he was still so scream/cry/shake popular in the rest of the world like we saw in the 90s.

If so, why is he still so popular? It's not like he's been putting out albums consistently and they just haven' done well in the states compared to the rest of the world. Is the rest of the world just that much more passionate about their nostalgia?

For me, I've always thought "geez, sad what's happened to him" over the years, but now that he's dead, it's the first of my childhood idols/heroes to actually die. Not just change and get all weird, but you know, really dead and gone.
I suppose I understand that it's much more final now. I guess I just look and see the creep. I mean, that's all I ever knew him as, was this creepy guy who was probably a pedophile (some people really have the blinders on about that in the Zoo Station forum).

I just, I guess, feel like the mourning for his body of work should have happened a while ago, during one of his two trials or something. Everyone could have had a group reflection or something. I don't know. I just feel like if everyone's so insistent on ignoring the last twenty years, why did you wait till he died to be this reflective. And I don't mean you guys, I mean the ones who are like in tears and are holding vigils and are stopping their lives over this (again, like some in that Zoo Station forum).
I can see how Kalas' passing would have a huge effect on you. Ledger did for me, he did for a lot of us. But like Laz said, there's a difference between a 28 year old cut down by an accidentally lethal cocktail of pills while in the midst of a huge hot streak of brilliant work and an irrelevant, boy-hungry, washed up pop star who never made much of an impact on my life. That's just me though.
I never cried once for Kalas' passing (I have not cried since summer 2006, three years strong without tears). By far the hardest part of anything that went on with Kalas was the first interview with Larry Andersen. Andersen was a pitcher for the Phillies on their legendary 1993 team, and has been a color commentator for the last decade or so.

YouTube - RIP Harry Kalas - Larry Andersen Reaction

That was brutal to watch.
Quick question, is the same guy who, if foul play was at work here, who tried to kill Jeff Goldblum and Indiana Jones the same guy who scratched the name off the door?
Was the Goldblum killing the result of clickish behavior?

Could Goldblum's killer be on this site???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom