Interference Random Music Talk Part V: A Shuttlecock by any other name...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LMP is not funny

You're probably right.

In other news:

I'd like to think that in my short time on interference, i have become one of the most high profile users here. I provide controversy, entertainment, humour and regular updates on knife crime. Some people have been here for years yet remain unknown. I am a household name. No user has changed the lives of so many in such a short time.

I think i have become bigger than interference itself. People only log on to see what words of wisdom i have for them. I often worry that without me, interference will die. Perhaps users will commit suicide?

I am the special one

I'd like to dedicate I am the One and Only by Chesney Hawkes to myself.

I think we've got another Dane Cook on our hands here.

I had one, and the party was fun (though it was the day we returned from Senior Week, so only about 8 people from school attended, the rest was family and family friends), but we invited a shitload of people, so I'm writing literally 40 thank you notes tonight. I'm done just about half of them, but I want to get to bed since my first day at my new job is tomorrow (I pick my own hours, so I decided to go in at 1 tomorrow).

That's pretty cool. Did you announce that you were expecting?

That's pretty cool. Did you announce that you were expecting?

It went like this: I got home from Senior Week and walked in the door, and then...

"I did not get arrested. It's not true. It's bullshit. I didn't get arrested. I did naaaaaaaaht. Oh, hi family and friends."

It went like this: I got home from Senior Week and walked in the door, and then...

"I did not get arrested. It's not true. It's bullshit. I didn't get arrested. I did naaaaaaaaht. Oh, hi family and friends."

Did you waste a half-full water bottle in the process?

Re: Dane Cook. He was in Texas this week. My high school girlfriend's sister who still adores me met him. Gross.

Re: Grad parties. I hear they're a huge rake. I didn't have one for high school, but once I'm out of college I'm going to reap the benefits.

Re: top 5 UK universities. As such a small nation, does a top five UK university equate to a US public Ivy? If not, We're Texas, bitch.

Re: Blur. Not that good.

Re: Oasis. Worse.

Re: Pedobear?

Abpedo.gif

pedobear-hanging-by-the-fountain.jpg

pedobear-spying-on-cheerleaders-behind-tree.jpg

I posted the Blanket + net photo earlier. It might be the best one, so I'mfine with seeing it again.

I'm disappointed all my Drunk Goldblum videos didn't take off like I thought they would.

In case you missed it...

MadForIt lacks humor, taste, wit, intelligence, a quality education, a perspective outside his little British bubble, or the "reputation" he thinks he has earned on this site. He is merely a meme, unless he continues to hang around, at which point he'll move more into the Screwloose zone.

Iz by any chance u jeloz?

I just looked back at my posts from the day Harry Kalas died, which affected me much more than Michael Jackson could possibly be able to affect anyone (he's been irrelevant since 1990). And you know what's funny? I made like two posts and a blog entry about it, and then continued posting normally. I didn't ask for everyone to just devote two days straight to his memory and just talking about how shocking it was.

I daresay that more people know who Michael Jackson is than Harry Kalas, and have something to say about his passing. It's not like you would have had tons of posters pouring into the sports threads to share their memories of Harry Kalas.

I get what you're saying, that was how you took the time to remember someone who affected you, but I don't think it's fair to judge how people grieve or how much they want to talk about it. And I think it takes some people by surprise, how a celeb's death affects them.

I bawled for hours after Princess Di was killed, and I'd never given her two thoughts when she was alive. So I know sometimes you can get caught off guard by your reaction to stuff like that, so I don't feel right judging other people's reactions.

I can't always relate to it, and sometimes it makes me uncomfortable, but hey.

Well, as much as I can become fiery on her, it's mostly because I find this to be an outlet for my more polarizing responses. But, as a whole, I'm a very even-keeled person emotionally, so I admit that I don't get affected by anything as much as a lot of people do.

That said, I am an announcer, and I'm a huge baseball fan, specifically a Phillies fan, and, most importantly, Harry Kalas was the broadcaster of my team for the first 18 years of my life, and was still doing that till the afternoon he died. I think that's much more relevant than someone like Jackson. Everyone keeps saying how they want to remember him for being 80s Michael Jackson, and that's great, but, isn't this sort of like two decades too late? I don't know, maybe no one really paid it much mind then. But it boggles my mind.

It's not like Jackson was still making music or was going to start again. Not only was Kalas still working, but the Phillies still play, so the broadcasts every single day for the rest of the year are a reminder that he's not there. They still use his voice for the advertisements for the Phillies broadcasts! It just seems odd to me that people care so much when he hasn't done anything anyone even wants to talk about in twenty years.

I just don't think you can understand how many people loved and still love Michael Jackson. The only musician I can equate him to so that you might understand would be Springsteen. I'm not saying their musical talents or material or career arks are the same and definitely not their personal lives but in terms of fanbase and sheer impact, this is the closest parallel I can draw for you. Hell, Jackson is much bigger in Europe and Asia than Springsteen.

750 million albums sold - there has to be something more than just a couple catchy tunes and luck there to sell that much, I don't care if you don’t like his music personally and if you think he's an awful human being. When it comes to entertainers, there were few like him and I don't think there will be many more.

pfan - That makes sense. As does the difference between being even-keeled and being ... well, like me. ;)

It is interesting to think about, that time gap and disconnect. That's why I was wondering in the other thread last night, about if he was still so scream/cry/shake popular in the rest of the world like we saw in the 90s.

If so, why is he still so popular? It's not like he's been putting out albums consistently and they just haven' done well in the states compared to the rest of the world. Is the rest of the world just that much more passionate about their nostalgia?

For me, I've always thought "geez, sad what's happened to him" over the years, but now that he's dead, it's the first of my childhood idols/heroes to actually die. Not just change and get all weird, but you know, really dead and gone.

I can see how Kalas' passing would have a huge effect on you. Ledger did for me, he did for a lot of us. But like Laz said, there's a difference between a 28 year old cut down by an accidentally lethal cocktail of pills while in the midst of a huge hot streak of brilliant work and an irrelevant, boy-hungry, washed up pop star who never made much of an impact on my life. That's just me though.

pedobear.jpg

Quick question, is the same guy who, if foul play was at work here, who tried to kill Jeff Goldblum and Indiana Jones the same guy who scratched the name off the door?

I think the jury's still out on that. The guy would have to be quite a jet-setter to make it all the way on Ireland to scratch a name off a door, then to Middle Earth to push Ian Malcolm off a cliff, then to wherever the fuck Ford is right now. Presumably the FOHHREST MOON OF EHNDOR.

I think he may be the culprit.

Also, my "Michael molested America before America molested him" gem went completely unappreciated. Thanks, guys.

Surprise! The good kind, which I think we all could use. We've heard nothing, but thanks to a tip we've got some basics to relay: Spoon is releasing three songs under the project title Got Nuffin on Tuesday 6/30. Track titles include "Tweakers," "Stroke Their Brains," and of course "Got Nuffin." For now, you can preview all three at Amazon: the title track sounds like a dusky, percussive rocker about darkness and shadows, "Tweakers" sounds like a lo-fi demo of a closet bucket-drum session or something, and "Stroke Their Brains" sounds like it's from the brains of the Strokes. Head over and listen, and we'll update with more info when we get it.

spoon-gotnuffin-cover_210x.jpg

Amazon took down the previews, but whatevs. Three new Spoon tunes next week!

About Michael. I always sit up and take notice when people who are around my age die of natural causes and not accidents. I know that I'm in better shape the he was, but a heart attack in someone only three years older than me is pause for thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom