Interference Random Music Talk Part III: The One Not Ruined by Sofia Coppola

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
True, but the flipside is that some songs take you back to wonderful parts of your life. Like, if I hear Wave of Sorrow, it reminds me of fighting for my life against Bloodmounts. That's just how it goes.

Good point. I'm pretty sure Bonner says, "Blessed is the person who chainsaws" somewhere in the end of that song.

Random comment: Flaming Lips' A Spark That Bled sounds fucking great on good headphones. :drool:

Mazeltov!

Le Chaim!

nospoken.png

So there's a disc version of this now? Where did you purchase?

i got it used through Amazon. Although it was new, just sold through the Marketplace portion of the site.

I was amazed to see my local store with a physical copy of Feed the Animals this past year as well. Thrilled, but baffled and amazed.

For the record, I did not like Night Ripper nearly as much as Feed the Animals.

Meh, I just preferred not only the samples he used on Feed the Animals, but the way they all came together.

I rate Girl Talk mixtapes based on how good my ecstasy roll was during my first listen.

Guys need some quick critique...I emailed the student paper here in Manchester about possibly getting involved and doing some album reviews. Got an email back, saying in fact they have a bit of an emergency in that they need to have someone write a 400 word piece on a 'life changing album' for midday tomorrow...it's 3am here now and i've just finished. If you could give it a peruse and let me know how it reads?

It's epoch making stuff for a young person when they first make acquaintance with a a cacophony of sound they find irresistible. The honour for me of that life changing moment belongs to Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds 2004 double opus Abattoir Blues/ The Lyre of Orpheus. I purchased it right at the beginning of a new adventure, going to uni for the first time in Bristol which was a moment of perfect synthesis between life and art. The first time away from home in a strange place can be quite the tumultuous affair, one I didn't handle too well; too many parties, too little work, too many strands of life I lost control of. Throughout it all I had Nick Cave's work of doubt, restlessness, anger and joy as a score to my life. The Abattoir Blues is an epic but abrasive gospel, where religious imagery is used to underline Cave's sentiments on faith such as in Get Ready For Love, which my own views grew to echo “Praise Him till you've forgotten what you're praising Him for”, it tied with the disillusionment I was feeling, and gave me the words I needed to voice it. It also features There She Goes My Beautiful World, name checking great writers and artists who met adversity head on and overcame it, it's a begging plea for inspiration in sound and lyric, with an incessant building to a crescendo with real venom (youtube the live performances). Fancying myself a great poet, I felt it gave me the justification for being a restless soul in search of something greater. The second disc The Lyre of Orpheus is a much more mellow, contemplative record, with a still present gospel choir at hand but deployed more sparingly. It contains the purest pop song on the album Breathless. Absorbed in my own little world, it broke through my erected pretences, with a simple earnest ode to nature or a lover, still not sure which. I remember listening to it when I came to my decision to leave uni, it gave me a sense of peace. I've moved on, the song meanings have changed with me, the people, places and thoughts they represent are different, but the album still has a subtle but profound effect on how I am, it holds a mirror up to me and I can see my flaws, for better and worse.

Just so you know this is the first time i've done anything like this.

Cheers! Just noticed the double 'a' in the first line, shouldn't have been drinking before I started this, I was meant to go straight to bed when I got back from the pub, then noticed the email, had to do it, couldn't pass up such a cool opportunity.

Apart from your crazy UK English, I really like it.

You go into why you like it succinctly, have solid enough support, and most importantly, sound like you give a damn. Good stuff, sir.

Thanks Lemac, it's been sent off so we'll see how I go. If it's good enough it will be put in the paper for Monday.

LJT, I like it, but you might want to consider revising the first sentence. "Epoch" and "cacophony" make it sound like you're reaching for something. You settle in nicely after that, but I would tone down the first sentence. Make it clear. Make it direct.

Wish I saw that this morning, unfortunately it has already been sent off but I see what you mean. I had written too much and the first line was originally, the third, I had a bit of preamble explaining how Bowie and U2 were my first forays into music but I wouldn't describe that as 'life changing'. The line sounded better initially in context, not so much as an opener which I see now. But i'll keep in mind the critique Dalton thanks, I do often strain for grand statements in my private writing, which I need to keep a tight rein on.

Glad you liked it Martha, you're a teacher no? Hence my grammar and phrasing must not be too bad then:D

Still waiting to hear whether it's been greenlighted but they didn't contact me till late last night, so will probably be the same today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom