Interference Random Movie Talk II

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Big Trouble is my favorite, but I think The Thing is better-made. I'm also a big, big fan of Prince of Darkness, which is his most interesting horror film. It has its cheesy line deliveries, but cinematically it's great. Killer ending, too.

And allow me to extend your '76-'88 by 5 years; I think In the Mouth of Madness is really underrated. Some of the shit in that film creeps me out to no end. Visually it's as good as anything else in his career.

Also, Escape from L.A. is a hell of a lot of fun, even if it's played for laughs more than the darker tones of the original.

Never seen Memoirs of an Invisible Man, but I can't believe it's as bad as its reputation.

Of his films, I need to see Mouth of Madness, Christine, Vampires, and Assault on Precinct 13. He supposedly has one coming out next year called The Prince. That's exciting.

Prince of Darkness is badass. Who knew you could mix satanism, quantum mechanics, and Alice Cooper in one movie? I sure didn't.

Escape from L.A. seems almost like a parody of the original, which got to me for some reason, I don't know. It's the same movie, just poorly made.

Memoirs isn't terrible by any means, but it's Carpenter doing a studio film. You can't even tell it's one of his movies. Plus, it's got post-1990 Chevy Chase... ah.

You'll enjoy this: http://youtube.com/watch?v=YsOqwiktCD4

Last edited:
Please don't mention Chevy Chase. He's one of my favorite comedians, and it's such a shame what happened to him.

Then again, I heard he was an asshole, so he may have deserved his downward spiral.

But just SNL/Foul Play/Caddshack/Vacation/Fletch alone earns him a spot in the pantheon.

As for post-1990, he was pretty funny in Dirty Work with Norm McDonald:

"You bet on Clubber Lang in Rocky III?"

"Hindsight is 20/20, my friend."

I love Chevy in the '70s and '80s as much as the next guy, but his downward spiral is probably one out of a Greek tragedy. He was good in Dirty Work though, but that's just a bit part.

Christmas Vacation deserves some mention, too. It's probably my favorite Christmas movie.

lazarus said:
No one wants to participate in my Rank the Films of 1999 mini-poll?

:(

Thanks for derailing the topic, YLB.

You didn't follow up my reply about Being John Malkovich.

"SHAME ON YOU! SHAME ON YOU!"

I'm doing my best Julianne Moore face.

Here you go, YWB:

1. American Beauty
2. Magnolia
3. Fight Club
4. The Matrix
5. Election
6. Galaxy Quest
7. Dogma
8. The Sixth Sense
9. Bowfinger
10. The Talented Mr. Ripley
11. Any Given Sunday
12. The Cider House Rules
13. Office Space
14. The Green Mile
15. Toy Story 2
16. The Mummy
17. Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
18. The Ninth Gate
19. Sleepy Hollow
20. Dick
21. October Sky
22. EdTV
23. Bicentennial Man

No one told you to go all the way to 23, pal. You could have spared me the pain of having to see The Green Mile in type again.

And you should be flogged for putting The Mummy above Qui-Gon.

If it were just Qui-Gon, it'd be number 1. But no, Jar Jar Binks is prominently involved.

At least The Mummy did what it was supposed to do, entertain me. I really don't want to derail another thread into prequel bashing either.

Not having seen several of the films from that year I would still like to see, this would be my current top 10 for '99.

1. Eyes Wide Shut
2. Magnolia
3. The Insider
4. Being John Malcovich
5. American Beauty
6. The Matrix
7. The Sixth Sense
8. Office Space
9. Election
10. Man on the Moon

What do you still need to see? I'm assuming you've seen Fight Club and aren't a fan, and that you haven't seen The Talented Mr. Ripley (you haven't seen any Minghella, have you?).

I really need to stress how brilliant Snow Falling On Cedars is, if anyone has yet to check it out. Pretty maligned by critics, but the use of time frames in this film is nothing short of amazing. There's one scene where Ethan Hawke is reading an old letter years after WWII, and Hicks cuts back and forth between this present time, the time when the girl is writing him the letter, when he first receives the letter, and when he's having his arm amputated after a battle wound and is thinking about the letter. It's one of the greatest scenes of the decate.

LemonMacPhisto said:
If it were just Qui-Gon, it'd be number 1. But no, Jar Jar Binks is prominently involved.

At least The Mummy did what it was supposed to do, entertain me. I really don't want to derail another thread into prequel bashing either.

That's why I took my further remarks to the SW thread.

I'm not a fan of Fight Club, and I have seen Mr. Ripley, but it would just place a little further down on my list.

Others on your list I'd like to see/have heard good things about include Buena Vista Social Club, Sweet and Lowdown, Titus, 8 1/2 Women, Ghost Dog, Arlington Road, eXistenZ...

BTW - Television shows about sexually-liberated, emotionally stunted women are AWEsome.

Thousands of women all over america watch them and decide that what they really need is a nasty romp with a random guy.

Most of you are very random.

You know what, The Last Samurai is a pretty great flick. The last act gets a bit ridiculous, but I dig it nonetheless.

Lancemc said:
I'm not a fan of Fight Club, and I have seen Mr. Ripley, but it would just place a little further down on my list.

Others on your list I'd like to see/have heard good things about include Buena Vista Social Club, Sweet and Lowdown, Titus, 8 1/2 Women, Ghost Dog, Arlington Road, eXistenZ...

Obviously I'd say eXistenZ first, underrated and MAJOR Cronenberg, also the only original screenplay of his since Videodrome (and a complement to it, so you'd want to see that first if you haven't). Ghost Dog is good, even if you don't like Jarmusch much (I don't), but it's not even close to Dead Man (probably the best film Johnny Depp has ever been in). Titus is very cool, very original film.

So Ripley is the only Minghella you've seen? Man, you have got to get a hold of The English Patient. I'm dying to discuss this with more people.

And by the way laz, I've acquired a copy of My Blueberry Nights via Teh Internets. I'm not going to watch it all before I see it on the big screen, but I did check out the first few minutes and little bits and pieces throughout.

I don't think we have anything to be worried about. Even the opening credits are brilliant.

Lancemc said:
No, I've seen Cold Mountain as well, and I'm a big fan of that one.

Really? Well if you didn't gag on that then you're going to love Patient.

I seem to be one of the few people that thought Zellweger deserved that Oscar. Jude Law could have won too, in a lesser year. Didn't have his looks or charm to rely on, playing a role with minimal dialogue, and was chilling.

Just as good if not better than Adrien Brody in The Pianist.

Back
Top Bottom