If U2 made an Abbey Road

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which Abbey Road songs would you like to see U2 emulate?

• Come Together

Votes: 28 52.8%
  • Something

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • Maxwell's Silver Hammer

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • Oh! Darling

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • Octopus's Garden

Votes: 6 11.3%
  • I Want You (She's So Heavy)

Votes: 7 13.2%
  • Here Comes the Sun

Votes: 16 30.2%
  • Because

• You Never Give Me Your Money

Votes: 9 17.0%
  • Sun King

Votes: 4 7.5%
  • Mean Mr. Mustard

• Polythene Pam

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • She Came In Through The Bathroom Window

• Golden Slumbers

• Carry That Weight

• End

• Her Majesty

Votes: 6 11.3%

• Total voters

Utoo

Rock n' Roll Doggie FOB
With U2 recording in Abbey Road, and with the "raw" effect that Rick Rubin supposedly has on musicians, and with some of the beach clips sounding Beatlesque (most notable 404/All MY Life, IMO), the idea of the band making an Abbey Road-like album has been tossed around here and there.

Listening to Abbey Road, there are a few songs where I think, "Yeah, U2 would sound great doing something like this." On the other hand, there are definitely a few that I think would sound just plain odd coming from U2.

Of the Abbey Road songs, which do you think have a feeling that U2 could pull off....which songs would you like to see U2 emulate?

Note that you can make more than one choice in this poll & that I'm not asking which songs you want U2 to cover, just "emulate."

Last edited:
Something :heart:

The best song of the album and one of George's finest !. Everything is just perfect on that song, the amazing composition, voices, extraordinary strings sounds without sounding cliche or cheesy at all, one of the most original and fantastic bass lines I've ever heard, great drumming, etc, etc.

Overall, Something is one of the most sublime pieces of art I've ever had the pleasure to listen to :heart:

Oops...I read the poll wrong. I thought it meant what they "would" emulate...:| If it's what I want them to emulate...

Dang, pretty much the whole thing would be brilliant. :drool:

Appart from the poll, I think it's a HUGE MISTAKE to try recording a "raw" record :yawn: (how many times we have heard about a "raw" U2 record since 2000, and how many times we will have to stand more rotten declatarions like that?) with Rick Rubin at such a temple of music Abbey Road is simply stupid and silly to say the least :shrug:

If Rick Rubin wants a "Raw" crap, so go and ask the band to play overnight in a dirty garage with Fender Squier or Silverstone guitars and basses, Washburn amps, and Behringer mixers. After a night of beer and smokes, Rick Rubin will find the s*** "Raw" sound he loves :banghead:

Abbey Road, Dark Side Of The Moon, Kid A ... Delicious pieces of art music recorded at Abbey Road and none of them have the "Raw" sound Rick Rubin wants ... he's nothing but crap :yuck:

I voted for all of them...just because...

the world is round...

it turns me on.

:scratch:

<-:coocoo:

Why did you split up Mustard / Pam / Window and Slumbers / Carry / The End?

Have you ever even listened to Abbey Road?

:wink:

U2 has been trying to emulate The Beatles for 2 albums now! I wish they would go and do their own thing instead of trying to be successor to the throne of Biggest Band in the world! No matter how much they try, U2 will never be considered in public opinion as better than the Beatles. So they might as well get back to doing what they're good at, writing interesting music.

U2 is a completely different animal altogether. Sure, they share the pantheon of rock bands with The Beatles and The Rolling Stones, but as the guys from Liverpool were the first ones (and more congruent than the Stones), so they win.

Besides, The Beatles broke up and the front man got shot. Both events added up A LOT to the nostalgia of the group... and those are two events that I'm sure no one in this forums (at least no one in their sane mind) would like to happen to U2, just so they can upstage The Beatles.

At the end of the day, I'm satisfied and at the same time want more from U2... and that's all that matters.

Canadiens1160 said:
Why did you split up Mustard / Pam / Window and Slumbers / Carry / The End?

I was always under the impression that even though they're all stuck together in a suite, that they were originally bits and pieces of songs that never really went anywhere on their own. I've always listened with that intent & have always roughly picked out most of the portions of the suite that have different moods. Soooo, I separated it all out since I was going for the whole "emulation" of moods/styles thing.

28cr.gif

:wink:

Zootlesque said:
U2 has been trying to emulate The Beatles for 2 albums now! I wish they would go and do their own thing instead of trying to be successor to the throne of Biggest Band in the world! No matter how much they try, U2 will never be considered in public opinion as better than the Beatles. So they might as well get back to doing what they're good at, writing interesting music.

Besides OOTS, where is U2 emulating The Beatles on HTDAAB?

Why don't you get back to what you're good at Zoot: Writing interesting posts? :madspit:

:drool:

U2Man said:

Nowhere.

Wild honey is the only other song where U2 emulates the early Beatles and even there I'd think more of Simon and Garfunkel due to acoustic/electric guitar interplay and two voices singing.

That said, the comparison Beatles-U2 careerwise has been made before. If you think about it, both bands are the most popular bands of their time, both bands with an outspoken activist frontman, both bands returned to more basic songwriting after experimenting a lot.

Kite is a little Beatlesque, too. The strings even sound like the intro to Strawberry Fields.

Peace on Earth is a little Lennonsque.

Have to give Zootle that.

U2Man said:

I was talking about their recent approach of writing 'songs' instead of 'albums', trying to land big hits like the Beatles did.

An album = A collection of songs.

A collection of great songs = A great album.

there's only one choice COME TOGETHER
its still one of my five faves of the fab four :up:
and it would fit perfectly for U2. its a great song!

U2Man said:
Kite is a little Beatlesque, too. The strings even sound like the intro to Strawberry Fields.

Peace on Earth is a little Lennonsque.

Have to give Zootle that.

To me Kite is - but in a good way - borrowing off vintage 80's U2, it reminds me of Red hill mining town.

How is POE Lennonesque?

COBL_04 said:
I'm quite sure I have never heard any of those songs.

You've never heard of "Something" or "Come Together"? :silent: I'd recommend going out and purchasing "Abbey Road". Right.now. ;)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom