"I Will Follow" Single Review 11/21/80

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BostonAnne

Refugee
I was cleaning out an office cabinet and found some U2 books I had bought in the ?80?s. I found ?U2 4 the People? by Tony Scott, ?The U2 File, A Hot Press U2 History 1978-1985? edited by Niall Stokes, and the concert program guide from my first concert 12/2/84. Inside the program book were newspaper clippings of the concert reviews! So I?ve had a fun day looking at all the photos and reading.

I wanted to share this review from ?the U2 File, A Hot Press U2 History?:

U-2: ?I Will Follow?
Unlike Springsteen, these boys are in the first flush of youth, but there a lot of the contrasts end. What makes U-2 unique among their contemporaries is the extraordinary completeness of their vision. Where most young bands are over-defined by their environments and the trends and phases of music, U-2 have seen the life beyond.

Strength, commitment, energy, challenge, love, vision and completeness take this music out about and beyond the pack. And if this only the beginning, where will it end?

Almost unbelievable (provided they don?t go for too much Jesus). Meanwhile, I like the Steve Lillywhite production on this, surging power and deep bass and an increasingly confident vocal. Yeah, watch ?em go.

Dermot Stokes, Single Reviews, Vol 4 No 13, November 21, 1980

------------------
"There's a lot of real rubbish going on about new music & old music, can I just say we play U2 music? Is that OK?" - Bono, Us Festival 5/30/83

Nice!

My favorite parts are the second paragraph (indeed, where does it end with U2?) and the last sentence (we're still watching more than 20 years later on).

------------------

be uncool, yes be awkward

Originally posted by U2girl:
Nice!

My favorite parts are the second paragraph (indeed, where does it end with U2?) and the last sentence (we're still watching more than 20 years later on).

I love those lines too! Watch 'em Go!

------------------
"There's a lot of real rubbish going on about new music & old music, can I just say we play U2 music? Is that OK?" - Bono, Us Festival 5/30/83

Originally posted by Diamond The U2 Patriot:
Hey Anne!-
I have that same Tony Scott book.

DB9

Cool! Did you catch them on TV at the US Festival (my signature line)?

------------------

[This message has been edited by BostonAnne (edited 01-14-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom