Hawaii - December 9 - Part XVIII (Continued)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Wind can make a difference. Maybe it's a time change too. I know it takes longer to return from Amsterdam (to the US) than to go there. The wind or whatever adds 1.5 hr going to Detroit.

My itinerary must account for time differences because it says we leave Minn/St Paul at 11:40am and arrive at HNL at 4:06pm. I'm sure it takes longer than 4.5 hrs.

Last edited:
we leave L.A. at about 8:00am - arrive about 11:30 HI time. Maybe I'll get to go to bed early for a change that night, since we all seem to be planning to wake up at the crack of dawn :crack:

Lila64 said:
anyone have experience on Hawaiian Air? :reject:

I have flown Hawaiian several times, and they have always been pretty good. Much better than my dreaded American Airlines (I say this because I always seem to end up flying AA (credit card frequent flyer miles), and honestly, they suck!!:madspit:
To be fair, sometimes they are ok, but when you have to fly those dreaded 757s for 6+ hour flights, you will see what I mean - plus American has had some of the most surly flight attendants I have ever encountered, I mean I know they got a major pay cut, but no need to take it out on the passengers!:wink: )

I fly out on Hawaiian on Saturday, and I am just happy I'm not flying American. As far as airlines go, they are all pretty much the same these days, but I find Hawaiian to be a bit better than the norm (that's not saying much these days!:wink: )

Can't wait! 3 more days til I leave!:hyper:

Lila64 said:
we leave L.A. at about 8:00am - arrive about 11:30 HI time. Maybe I'll get to go to bed early for a change that night, since we all seem to be planning to wake up at the crack of dawn :crack:

I don't even want to think about what time we are getting up that Saturday for the line :crack: Have a flight leaving at 6:27am the day before and not getting in till almost 5 local time.

zoney! said:

Most airlines have moved to the "buy-on-board" concept. Ticket prices have dropped so low that airlines are nothing more than "buses in the sky!" I have no doubt that the two airline tickets I have purchased for this trip would have been the price for ONE ticket 20 years ago. :tsk:

With that, Continental still provides a "snack" inflight on most longer flights.

The flight Attendants should pass through a few times with a beverage service...depending on their attitude du jour. :D

Delta's Song now longer exsists. the planes with the seatback entertainment and Song logos exsist...but not the Song serivce.

I am not familiar with either of the Hawaiian Airlines (Hawaiian or Aloha). :shrug:

We have a FIVE HOUR layover in L.A. I think we will try and squeeze in a trip to the In-N-Out Burger at the end of the runway! :D

I am aware that most airlines now do buy on board. However, Alaska Air is the exception. I just flew to Seattle on Alaskan. In the morning, you get a breakfast sandwich and a yogurt.

On Midwest, they give you a huge cookie. Not a meal but something.

Anyway, bring your own food on board.

I will be stocked because I get bored easily. I will have my Ipod, DVD player and I hope that AA has a good movie playing as well.

You would think I would be used to long flights by now.

Kinsa said:

I have flown Hawaiian several times, and they have always been pretty good. Much better than my dreaded American Airlines (I say this because I always seem to end up flying AA (credit card frequent flyer miles), and honestly, they suck!!:madspit:
To be fair, sometimes they are ok, but when you have to fly those dreaded 757s for 6+ hour flights, you will see what I mean - plus American has had some of the most surly flight attendants I have ever encountered, I mean I know they got a major pay cut, but no need to take it out on the passengers!:wink: )

I fly out on Hawaiian on Saturday, and I am just happy I'm not flying American. As far as airlines go, they are all pretty much the same these days, but I find Hawaiian to be a bit better than the norm (that's not saying much these days!:wink: )

Great I'm flying American.

Actually, my luck with American has been good. I flew AA to Miami and Monterrey this year and all good. The only horrible AA flight was from LAX to Dulles because it was a red eye.

I have flown AA from Toyko to Texas but that was before 9/11.

Liesje said:
Wind can make a difference. Maybe it's a time change too. I know it takes longer to return from Amsterdam (to the US) than to go there. The wind or whatever adds 1.5 hr going to Detroit.

My itinerary must account for time differences because it says we leave Minn/St Paul at 11:40am and arrive at HNL at 4:06pm. I'm sure it takes longer than 4.5 hrs.

8 hours 26 minutes (from MSP to HNL) :yikes:

GOING you will have head winds....returning you will have TAIL winds. Returning from HNL will be faster! :D:up:

...and the time change!

As for food...most foods are OK! Anything you buy after TSA Screening is allowed on the plane.

Liesje said:

hey, I think Mia (redhotswami), her friend and I are on your flight :hyper: is it Delta or Northwest???

I wanna step in and send a great big group THANK YOU to Zoney for sharing airport and security tips and suggestions with us and answering travel/flight questions. :up: Thanks!!

kellyahern said:

This is probably a dumb question :reject:. My flight from Houston to Hawaii is 8 hours, but the return flight is 6 hours. Is that the time difference? I didn't think airlines figured that for in-flight time.

Yes, it's time differences. Just convert your time of arrival in Hawaii to the time from where you left and that is your flight time. There may be slight differences in time due to atmospheric conditions like air pressure systems but nothing considerable.

I leave a small airport at 1205 and arrive in Vancouver at 1240pm. Sounds like a short flight but I gain an hour flying west. Upon return, I leave Van at 900am and arrive 1135am. How did the flight go from 35 minutes to 2 hours 35 minutes? Time differences!

One person I know coming from the Japan shows is leaving Japan Tuesday night and arriving in Hawaii on Tuesday MORNING!!!! Don't ya just love the international date line and time zones!!

Regarding liquids and crap on planes, I buy it all on the plane. Saves a lot of headaches and line time through security. I guess if you need certain things like baby formula or contact solution, you have to deal with it. But forget the luxuries, you can live without toothpaste or cologne for a few hours.

I think there will be 7-9 of us on my flight heading to Hawaii for the concert that I know of and we are all sitting together. I pity the people sitting around us.:wink:

Can you bring disposable razors in carry on? Would it need to be in your plastic bag?

zoney! said:
We have a FIVE HOUR layover in L.A. I think we will try and squeeze in a trip to the In-N-Out Burger at the end of the runway! :D

In-N-Out, In-N-Out, That's what a hamburger's all about!

As for me, I've got a purposeful layover in LA both ways so I can travel with my friend from there & visit a bit. I'm hoping to finally try Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles! ('course, In-N-Out wouldn't be *bad*)

skjuls said:

Which airline do you fly?

Northwest gave plenty of drinks on board.

If it's a long flight they will give you more drinks!
Northwest, America West, Sun Country, Frontier, and one time on the best one so far, Midwest (warm chocolate chip cookies?! right on!). Those are within the last three years or so. The worst all-over was America West, followed by Northwest--which isn't ALWAYS bad, but about half the time is, losing luggage and whatnot.

skjuls said:

Patti,

I believe you can. I have yet to travel with liquid since the whole liquid bomb thing. Just don't go over the limit what you can bring.

I can ask my dad the TSA guy. He is who I always ask since he does screening.

are you going to check a bag or just do carry on?

Can you or did you ask about the glow stick situation?

Scratch that....I just found your response.

Last edited:
Kinsa said:

I'm on American (award ticket), I lucked out going though as I got the 767, I do have the 757 on the way back HNL-LAX though. Leaving this Saturday from NYC JFK at 10AM, 2:20 layover at LAX (I don't think that's enough time for In-and-Out alas...), get into Honolulu at 7:10 and (hopefully) pretty much heading straight to the Pearl Jam concert! Fingers crossed on a light headwind. :lol:

Go home on the 11:25PM flight to LAX on the 10th, 1:15 layover at LAX, back in NY at 3:55PM. :yawn:

trevster2k said:

I think there will be 7-9 of us on my flight heading to Hawaii for the concert that I know of and we are all sitting together. I pity the people sitting around us.:wink:

Air New Zealand had both JT and Rattle and Hum on their inflight entertainment system home from NZ. My wife and I decided not to be complete asses and sing for everyone. But, with 7-9 of you on a flight, I think the airplane can handle some free inflight singing. They can't kick you off and they can't threaten to turn around and go home. So...

Mark

thanks Carek!

pattip2000 said:
Can you bring disposable razors in carry on? Would it need to be in your plastic bag?

not razor blades (the individual little BLADES, but who buys those these days anyway)...but disposable shavers are ok.

rosephile said:

The worst all-over was America West, followed by Northwest--which isn't ALWAYS bad, but about half the time is, losing luggage and whatnot.

Oh joy Northwest is really appealing to me even more now :

By any chance is anyone flying them on the morning of the 8th out of Philly? It's Flight #681

zoney! said:

You cannot bring your own alcohol on to the plane. And, by the way, alcohol dehydrates you. If you are on a long trip, you will make yourself pretty damn sick...fast.

Go with the dramamine (sp?)!

You can't?:ohmy: Guess I've been a bad boy all this time, especially during Vegas flights. I've never had a problem with dehydration during a flight, even after 3 Jack and Cokes, so I'm not too concerned about getting sick.

To anyone concerned about Northwest losing luggage, I once had a very GOOD experience with my luggage NOT being lost by Northwest. It was a rather dramatic trip with my flight being changed several times, but my luggage arrived on the same plane I did...and the only way that happened was for the bag to be taken off the loading cart for the original flight I was booked for, and put on the one I actually took. Very relieving since I didn't have a nametag on it or anything.

Also...
We leave a week from Friday! I can't wait! :hyper:

my concert tickets and condo keys arrived today. i STILL can't believe this is happening!!! waikiki banyan anyone???

we're going to karaoke on sunday night, but if anyone wants to come to our condo and hang out we're cool with it!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom