Hawaii - December 9 - Part XVIII (Continued)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
pattip2000 said:

thank you so much for all the info. on last question. is it a no no to have two 3 oz bottles of the same thing? I know I'm going to need lots of SPF, 3 oz won't even put a dent in what i need.

I'm flying out of RIC

What time are you planning on getting to the line?

You're flying out of Richmond?

Email me TigerLily1276@aol.com and we'll discuss the line.

techfire said:

This might be a stupid question, but what about the small plastic bottles of booze? I brought a few bottles of Jack on the flight in April, I get a little nervous during long flights and booze seems to be the best medicine, do you think the shot bottles will be allowed?

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I believe it has always been illegal for you to bring your own alcohol on board to drink - last week I saw a flight attendant wig out on a guy for doing this, I assumed everyone knew you weren't allowed, but I guess not. Just drink a bit before you get on the plane, then pony up whatever they charge you once you are on board for a drink, and you should be feeling fine.

Its a safety requirement, because the airlines need to be able to control how much alcohol you drink on board so that you don't get too drunk and crazy.
(or that's what they claim, anyways!
:wink: )

I cannot believe I leave in 3 days!! And that the concert is in 10 days!! :rockon:

My first real experience flying was two years ago to east Africa. It was about 9 hours to Amsterdam and then another 9 to Kilimanjaro. I had a terrible time the way there, and I never get carsick or claustrophobic. On the flight back to Amsterdam, I took several Dramamine, the drowsy kind, and I slept like a baby for 9 hours, even squished in the middle with my forehead on the tray! It's cheap, effective, and not dangerous or illegal. I highly recommend it.

Where can I pick some of that Dramamine up at Lies:wink:

Aslo, I envy you...I have always wanted to see an aerial view of Mt. Kilimanjaro. I bet that view was spectacular:yes:

Jules, thanks for all the info. I need to put some of my liquids in zip locks...otherwise I think I am good.

Ooo, I have a (dumb) question! I'm not planning on bringing any other liquids in my carry-on (except maybe a travel-size lotion), can I fill up a bunch of tiny-sized bottles with WATER and/or juice?!

I'd have it all fit in a quart-sized bag...I'm just curious 'cause I get pretty dehydrated on planes and they only give you one drink on-board, after all, and they don't always even give you the whole drink, sometimes just fill up that little 4oz./whatever cup...

rosephile said:
Ooo, I have a (dumb) question! I'm not planning on bringing any other liquids in my carry-on (except maybe a travel-size lotion), can I fill up a bunch of tiny-sized bottles with WATER and/or juice?!

I'd have it all fit in a quart-sized bag...I'm just curious 'cause I get pretty dehydrated on planes and they only give you one drink on-board, after all, and they don't always even give you the whole drink, sometimes just fill up that little 4oz./whatever cup...

Nope, drinks have to be purchased after the check-point, unless you declare it for an illness or it's for a baby.

Thanks for all the info guys :up: I haven't flown in ages, so I've forgotten all this stuff. Plus it's changed a lot.

Carmel, Gravol works wonders too :wink: I'm staying up the night before and then taking one before my flight. I'll hopefully sleep all the way there :happy:

Carmelu2fan said:
Where can I pick some of that Dramamine up at Lies:wink:

Aslo, I envy you...I have always wanted to see an aerial view of Mt. Kilimanjaro. I bet that view was spectacular:yes:

Haha! It was lovely. Much better than the way there, when I was stuck next to a Canadian guy that took off his hiking boots and I wanted to barf for nine straight hours. The nice Dutch attendants kept waking me up and were almost spoon-feeding me...I just couldn't stay awake.

Regrettably, I did not see Kili from above. We flew in during darkness and out during cloud cover. We did stop to take pictures and also hiked down the mountain, but when you're on the mountain you can't see the tops.

My best shot of Kili
http://www.dutchbingo.net/TanzaniaJanuary2005/photos/photo38.jpg

A friend did get some arial shots of the Alps though (yeah I was not awake for this):
http://www.dutchbingo.net/TZ/albums/LaurensPhotos/photos/photo419.jpg

FYI, I just got a travel kit at the Dollar Store with three small travel containers, they didn’t say exactly how big (or small) they are, but by comparing to other travel sized stuff, I’m pretty sure they are between 2 and 3 oz. Wal-Mart also had containers that looked to be 3 oz for $.52

rosephile said:

Which airline do you fly?

Northwest gave plenty of drinks on board.

If it's a long flight they will give you more drinks!

skjuls said:

Which airline do you fly?

Northwest gave plenty of drinks on board.

If it's a long flight they will give you more drinks!

I flew Northwest back to MSP from Honolulu in July, and they were very tight with the beverages and the only food served was "available for purchase" (a sandwich or those snack boxes for $5) on an 8 hour flight.

Just to warn people...bring a bottle of water (purchased after the security checkpoint) and bring some food or snacks because your airline might not feed you or they might only have the little calorie-bomb boxes for purchase.

Mark

kramwest1 said:

I flew Northwest back to MSP from Honolulu in July, and they were very tight with the beverages and the only food served was "available for purchase" (a sandwich or those snack boxes for $5) on an 8 hour flight.

Just to warn people...bring a bottle of water (purchased after the security checkpoint) and bring some food or snacks because your airline might not feed you or they might only have the little calorie-bomb boxes for purchase.

Mark

Interesting, when I flew Northwest in April to Honolulu and back they were not tight with the beverages.

Yeah, most airlines you have to purchase food in those boxes unless you fly Alaska Air (which is a nice airline). That's why I bring my own food.

This time I am flying on American.

skjuls said:

Interesting, when I flew Northwest in April to Honolulu and back they were not tight with the beverages.

Yeah, most airlines you have to purchase food in those boxes unless you fly Alaska Air (which is a nice airline). That's why I bring my own food.

I know. I fly a lot, and I still feel like if the flight is over 3 hours, they should feed you. I guess we were spoiled for a long time. (If you can call getting to eat airline food being spoiled, HA!)
I'm doing MSP to Houston, then Houston to HNL on Continental. I know they feed you on Continental on the Hawaii flight.

Zazzle shirts came today, so we're set. WOOHOO!!!

Mark

I actually didn't know what Dramamine was before today :uhoh: But I think it's pretty much the same thing. Don't know which is cheaper :shrug: All I know is they work :D

kramwest1 said:

I know. I fly a lot, and I still feel like if the flight is over 3 hours, they should feed you. I guess we were spoiled for a long time. (If you can call getting to eat airline food being spoiled, HA!)
I'm doing MSP to Houston, then Houston to HNL on Continental. I know they feed you on Continental on the Hawaii flight.

Zazzle shirts came today, so we're set. WOOHOO!!!

Mark

I'm on a Houston to HNL Continental flight too :) (on the 7th). First time flying Continental - I flew Delta or American for the other Vertigo dates. I'm slightly disappointed I couldn't get a Delta Song flight, I loved those little tvs on the back of the seats :shifty:.

kellyahern said:

I'm on a Houston to HNL Continental flight too :) (on the 7th). First time flying Continental - I flew Delta or American for the other Vertigo dates. I'm slightly disappointed I couldn't get a Delta Song flight, I loved those little tvs on the back of the seats :shifty:.

You should be on one of Continental's 767s which have the nice inflight personal video system. I love the seating arrangement, too--2 seats, 3 seats, 2 seats. I hate that most planes are 3 and 3--also know as "double excuse me" seating.

Mark

kramwest1 said:

Mark

That's not very encouraging news since Im flying Northwest all the way,lol.

kramwest1 said:

You should be on one of Continental's 767s which have the nice inflight personal video system. I love the seating arrangement, too--2 seats, 3 seats, 2 seats. I hate that most planes are 3 and 3--also know as "double excuse me" seating.

Mark

Sounds good :up:

I'll have the iPod along just in case too :sexywink:.

I just checked - it's a 737 to Houston, but a 767 to Honolulu :up:.

Last edited:
I am soo dreading my flight. I've never flown more than 7 hours before, so this should be interesting. I will definately get some dramamine. That seems like the way to go.

Carmelu2fan said:

Wonderful pic Lies...one day I must go there.

Kaf- is Gravol a generic of Dramamine? I want the one that is cheaper:wink:

I've never heard of Gravol, but yes it contains the same drug as Dramamine it's just the Canadian name, both are used for motion sickness, typically rough boat rides or long car rides. Like most drugs, you can get a non-drowsy version, or the regular stuff. I bought it before leaving for Africa because they told us we'd be on a boat crossing Lake Victoria, and several small planes. I don't usually get motion sickness, but you never know. I didn't realize until after I'd taken two that I had the drowsy formula. The acting drug is similar to Benadryl, so if you're familiar with that you can see how it makes you nice and sleepy :)

Depending on what brand name you buy, it shouldn't cost you more than $6.

If you want it to make you sleepy, don't get the Dramamine II (the non-drowsy formula).

We like to keep things simple up here, too many syllables in darama.. , dramaminien, oooh, whatever.:wink:

techfire said:

This might be a stupid question, but what about the small plastic bottles of booze? I brought a few bottles of Jack on the flight in April, I get a little nervous during long flights and booze seems to be the best medicine, do you think the shot bottles will be allowed?

You cannot bring your own alcohol on to the plane. And, by the way, alcohol dehydrates you. If you are on a long trip, you will make yourself pretty damn sick...fast.

Go with the dramamine (sp?)!

skjuls said:

Most airlines have moved to the "buy-on-board" concept. Ticket prices have dropped so low that airlines are nothing more than "buses in the sky!" I have no doubt that the two airline tickets I have purchased for this trip would have been the price for ONE ticket 20 years ago. :tsk:

With that, Continental still provides a "snack" inflight on most longer flights.

The flight Attendants should pass through a few times with a beverage service...depending on their attitude du jour. :D

Delta's Song now longer exsists. the planes with the seatback entertainment and Song logos exsist...but not the Song serivce.

I am not familiar with either of the Hawaiian Airlines (Hawaiian or Aloha). :shrug:

We have a FIVE HOUR layover in L.A. I think we will try and squeeze in a trip to the In-N-Out Burger at the end of the runway! :D

zoney! said:

Most airlines have moved to the "buy-on-board" concept. Ticket prices have dropped so low that airlines are nothing more than "buses in the sky!" I have no doubt that the two airline tickets I have purchased for this trip would have been the price for ONE ticket 20 years ago. :tsk:

With that, Continental still provides a "snack" inflight on most longer flights.

The flight Attendants should pass through a few times with a beverage service...depending on their attitude du jour. :D

Delta's Song now longer exsists. the planes with the seatback entertainment and Song logos exsist...but not the Song serivce.

I am not familiar with either of the Hawaiian Airlines (Hawaiian or Aloha). :shrug:

We have a FIVE HOUR layover in L.A. I think we will try and squeeze in a trip to the In-N-Out Burger at the end of the runway! :D

:yikes: 5 hours!

Too bad about Song :(. Do they still do the fun "themed" safety instructions? I liked their uniforms too :lol:.

This is probably a dumb question :reject:. My flight from Houston to Hawaii is 8 hours, but the return flight is 6 hours. Is that the time difference? I didn't think airlines figured that for in-flight time.

You people are in for a great show. Just got back from the Auckland concert & all I can say is "Absolutely awesome". I'm so jealous of you guys, I want to go again!

kelly - it has something to do with the tradewinds I think, or something like that. My cousin is going to Japan next month - she said it's 13 hours going and 4 coming back - which I still don't get :scratch:

In N' Out :drool: Enjoy zoney!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom