Hawaii - December 9 - Part XVIII (Continued)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hopefully people will have extras. I'm bringing just carry-on so I probably won't be able to take any, what with the tight liquid/gel rule and me with my winter paleness needing LOTS of SPF and lotion.

Skjuls--I'm not worried about them singling me out. They never have before, so if they actually *do*, I'll just figure my luck could only last so long, y'know, and that it'll just be "my turn."

Liesje said:
Taking off shoes reminds me of when we were flying back from Africa, we had to also take off our belts. Usually not a problem, except I'd lost so much weight from a parasite I literally needed both hands to hold my pants up! By the time it was my turn, security was looking at me like, just forget about it :lol:

Oh, since they made the metal detectors more sensitive (a couple years ago) I *have* to take off my belt. My sneakers never set it off though!

And about TSA? Apparently, the local airport (MSP) has things like CHAINSAWS on their signs displaying things you cannot take on the plane with you. Hahaha!

rosephile said:
And about TSA? Apparently, the local airport (MSP) has things like CHAINSAWS on their signs displaying things you cannot take on the plane with you. Hahaha!

We had a guy try to check one the other day at work (I work for an airline).

What the half-wit did not realize is that it still contained gas (flammable liquid).

Yes, people are THAT dumb! :D

on a different note... here are a couple pictures a coworker took a couple weeks ago on his honeymoon...

Oahu Sunset:
oahusunset.jpg

Maui Sunrise:
mauisunrise.jpg

I cannot wait to see this in person! It's going to be incredible.

Allegra said:
Yeah, I was afraid you were going to say that. But if it ain't on the list of things I can't bring, I'm bringing them with me. I've got to double check that list anyway since I'll be shopping for small bottles for my bathroom crap.

I would suggest "checking" the glow sticks, and make sure they do not say "flammable" - "corrosive" or "toxic" or they will be removed from your checked luggage.

I checked for ingredients online, and it looks as if the glow sticks should be fine. But, knowing that amount you will be bringing (surely more than 3.4 ounces worth), I would check it.

HINT: make sure that if you are carrying on any liquids, that they all fit in a ONE QUART bag (sandwhich bag). DO NOT make the dreaded mistake of putting them all in a gallon bag. they will make you toss stuff. Also, make sure your expensive perfumes and make-up products are all under 3.4 ounces (3 ounces for safety).

One more thing....DO NOT check medications or car keys. PLEASE. :D

The sad thing is...there are a LOT of people who are travelling now that just do not get it. Like the girl this past July 4 who checked a few pounds of FIREWORKS going to Cancun. She received a nice fine from TSA for her stupidity. :D

We are flying through LA out on 7DEC and back through Portland and MSP on 10DEC.

zonelistener said:

What the half-wit did not realize is that it still contained gas (flammable liquid).

OMG. I believe this. People ARE that dumb. I just don't get them, and I am usually the one held up behind one of these turdleys in a line! It's just my luck. I don't even want to deal with all this security/liquids stuff so we are shipping ahead to the hotel. Stuff's more expensive in Hawaii. Just a suggestion:wink:

Now...back to more stories on stupid people trying to get weird things onto airplanes! Please!!! :wink:

Lila64 said:
well you won't see the Maui sunrise unless you are island hopping :wink:

and that we are! So we should at least see the sun set... same difference, right? lol. Going to spend a day on Kauai, too... or at least that's the plan.

There was a good deal on Travelzoo a few weeks ago with inter-island flights priced at $19 per person each way... booked Maui, and now are deciding if we want to pay full shot for a day trip to Kauai.

This may be a silly question but…… are you allowed to pour liquids (i.e. shampoo and hair gel) into those cheap travel containers? Or to things have to be in the original, marked containers (i.e. travel size)?

I’m a very nervous flyer and I don’t want to get in any trouble at security.

pattip2000 said:
This may be a silly question but…… are you allowed to pour liquids (i.e. shampoo and hair gel) into those cheap travel containers? Or to things have to be in the original, marked containers (i.e. travel size)?

I’m a very nervous flyer and I don’t want to get in any trouble at security.

Patti,

I believe you can. I have yet to travel with liquid since the whole liquid bomb thing. Just don't go over the limit what you can bring.

I can ask my dad the TSA guy. He is who I always ask since he does screening.

are you going to check a bag or just do carry on?

zonelistener said:

I would suggest "checking" the glow sticks, and make sure they do not say "flammable" - "corrosive" or "toxic" or they will be removed from your checked luggage.

I checked for ingredients online, and it looks as if the glow sticks should be fine. But, knowing that amount you will be bringing (surely more than 3.4 ounces worth), I would check it.

HINT: make sure that if you are carrying on any liquids, that they all fit in a ONE QUART bag (sandwhich bag). DO NOT make the dreaded mistake of putting them all in a gallon bag. they will make you toss stuff. Also, make sure your expensive perfumes and make-up products are all under 3.4 ounces (3 ounces for safety).

One more thing....DO NOT check medications or car keys. PLEASE. :D

The sad thing is...there are a LOT of people who are travelling now that just do not get it. Like the girl this past July 4 who checked a few pounds of FIREWORKS going to Cancun. She received a nice fine from TSA for her stupidity. :D

We are flying through LA out on 7DEC and back through Portland and MSP on 10DEC.

Right.. the rule is 3-1-1.

I think you'd prevent a potential headache though, if you just bought the glowsticks when you land.

311_header.jpg

Last edited:
skjuls said:

Patti,

I believe you can. I have yet to travel with liquid since the whole liquid bomb thing. Just don't go over the limit what you can bring.

I can ask my dad the TSA guy. He is who I always ask since he does screening.

are you going to check a bag or just do carry on?

I want to only do a carry on, if I can control my over packing problem. If you don't mind asking your father, I would really appreciate it.

If you’re asking anyway, I’ve got one more question. What about deodorant? Is a soft clear deodorant considered a liquid?

I really don’t want to have any problems with security. I’m the type of person that when I get nervous, I just look like I’ve done something wrong. You might not know what I’m guilty of, but you’d swear I did something bad.

zonelistener said:

......*flabbergasted* Haha!!! What the hell?! All right, I guess it's there for good reason then. Did he hapen to say WHY he was unwilling to part with his chainsaw for his trip?

Thanks everyone for all the great info on the carry on items!

I am packing a bag and checking it and it will be loaded with red glow sticks! :) I will be handing them out at the show to anybody that wants one! I have a reserved seat so hopefully not just the GA crowd will set the stadium on fire!! It's going to look amazing!

pattip2000 said:

I want to only do a carry on, if I can control my over packing problem. If you don't mind asking your father, I would really appreciate it.

If you’re asking anyway, I’ve got one more question. What about deodorant? Is a soft clear deodorant considered a liquid?

I really don’t want to have any problems with security. I’m the type of person that when I get nervous, I just look like I’ve done something wrong. You might not know what I’m guilty of, but you’d swear I did something bad.

Right.. the rule is 3-1-1. Yes remember the 3-1-1 rule !!

Ok, just asked my TSA dad.

You will be ok if you you put your shampoo, conditioner, lotion in those cheap 3 oz containers. So no problem there.

Ok for the deodorant, if you have a gel, roll on or anything creamy it must be 3 oz and in the bag. so your soft clear would be considered a liquid. HOwever, if you have a solid you do not have to put it inyour clear 1 quart bag.

And you plan on bringing any liquid makeup this applies as well.

When going through security, place your clear one quart bag in the tray. So this means taking it out of your carry on.

Does that clear it up?

Which airport are you flying out of?

And glow sticks must be in checked bags. Again, it's a liquid!!!

skjuls (or anyone) I have one other question - do you have to remove laptops or other larger electronics from your carry-on when going through security? If not, I want to pack it at the bottom, but if I need to take it out, I want it at the top. I'm not sure it matters, but my laptop won't even have a battery in it.

skjuls said:

Right.. the rule is 3-1-1. Yes remember the 3-1-1 rule !!

Ok, just asked my TSA dad.

You will be ok if you you put your shampoo, conditioner, lotion in those cheap 3 oz containers. So no problem there.

Ok for the deodorant, if you have a gel, roll on or anything creamy it must be 3 oz and in the bag. so your soft clear would be considered a liquid. HOwever, if you have a solid you do not have to put it inyour clear 1 quart bag.

And you plan on bringing any liquid makeup this applies as well.

When going through security, place your clear one quart bag in the tray. So this means taking it out of your carry on.

Does that clear it up?

And glow sticks must be in checked bags. Again, it's a liquid!!!

This might be a stupid question, but what about the small plastic bottles of booze? I brought a few bottles of Jack on the flight in April, I get a little nervous during long flights and booze seems to be the best medicine, do you think the shot bottles will be allowed?

Liesje said:
skjuls (or anyone) I have one other question - do you have to remove laptops or other larger electronics from your carry-on when going through security? If not, I want to pack it at the bottom, but if I need to take it out, I want it at the top. I'm not sure it matters, but my laptop won't even have a battery in it.

I have to remove my laptop from my bag everytime I go through security (even before the lastest fluid regulations).

techfire said:

This might be a stupid question, but what about the small plastic bottles of booze? I brought a few bottles of Jack on the flight in April, I get a little nervous during long flights and booze seems to be the best medicine, do you think the shot bottles will be allowed?

I think you can bring drinks, even if they are larger than 3.4 oz, but they have to be ones you bought after the security check point or on the plane.

Liesje said:

Yes, you must take your laptop out and place it in the tray. I never take me DVD player out because well I'm with an autistic two year old but when my dad is with me he does take out the DVD player.

I don't think it matters about the battery. Just take it out on place in the tray.

Liesje said:

I think you can bring drinks, even if they are larger than 3.4 oz, but they have to be ones you bought after the security check point or on the plane.

This is correct.

So don't be bringin bottles of water throught security because it will be taken away. Any liquid you buy after the checkpoint is ok.

skjuls said:

Does that clear it up?

thank you so much for all the info. on last question. is it a no no to have two 3 oz bottles of the same thing? I know I'm going to need lots of SPF, 3 oz won't even put a dent in what i need.

I'm flying out of RIC

What time are you planning on getting to the line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom