From the Sky Down, Davis Guggenheim's Achtung Baby documentary to premiere at TIFF

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The latest info is that the runtime of the docu is 90 minutes.
2011 Films - From the Sky Down

It irks me that it says Country: USA. Wtf. Most of it was recorded in Winnipeg, CA, and the old material will be from Berlin, Germany and Dublin, Ireland. :rolleyes:

Another noteworthy thing, it says music by Michael Brook. I wonder what that's supposed to mean..

Michael Brook worked with Edge on the Captive soundtrack. He makes ambient, moody music.

It irks me that it says Country: USA. Wtf. Most of it was recorded in Winnipeg, CA, and the old material will be from Berlin, Germany and Dublin, Ireland. :rolleyes:

Another noteworthy thing, it says music by Michael Brook. I wonder what that's supposed to mean..

The country does not mean where it was filmed, but I believe the country where the production company is based. Like James Bond movies (to give just one example), they are filmed all over the world, but they are still considered British films.

And Michael Brook has most likely done the 'background music' (i.e. theatrical score) for this documentary. Which is interesting, as he has worked with The Edge before, most prominently on the Captive soundtrack. And he invented the original infinite guitar, which Edge uses on WOWY.

U2 > News > Baby Grows Up
Did anyone else notice that U2.com says the box set will contain "a version of From the Sky Down"? Perhaps it will be edited differently? It sounds like it won't necessarily be quite the same version that shows at the film festival. Weird.

It's just U2's way of trying to help us upgrade our bond rating. Quite nice of them don't you think? It's been a rough couple months for the US, throw us a bone here. ;)

FromTheSkyDown.jpg

R-382011-1266187922.jpeg

I am pumped.

U2 > News > Baby Grows Up
Did anyone else notice that U2.com says the box set will contain "a version of From the Sky Down"? Perhaps it will be edited differently? It sounds like it won't necessarily be quite the same version that shows at the film festival. Weird.

Often times independent films are not complete when they go to festival. They sometimes kind of rush the film post production to meet deadlines for the festival. Editing some times is tweaked after it premiers, or the score is not fully realized and changed. Maybe they need to fit into a particular category for length for the festival too. I think 90 minutes is the minimum for full length features so they barely squeaked by.
This is a big festival, so that may not be the case, but indie fests generally have a different vibe and are not like regular theatrical premiers.

They may be planning on changing some things after it premiers at the fest.

Often times independent films are not complete when they go to festival. They sometimes kind of rush the film post production to meet deadlines for the festival. Editing some times is tweaked after it premiers, or the score is not fully realized and changed. Maybe they need to fit into a particular category for length for the festival too. I think 90 minutes is the minimum for full length features so they barely squeaked by.
This is a big festival, so that may not be the case, but indie fests generally have a different vibe and are not like regular theatrical premiers.

They may be planning on changing some things after it premiers at the fest.

Good point. My guess is that maybe they'll tweak the opening credits or aesthetics of the version in the box set to make it fit in more with the overall artwork and "feel" of the set. Just some sort of visual reminder that the movie is part of the Achtung Baby box set. I doubt they'll cut entire scenes out of the film or anything. At least I hope not. :(

Toronto...my fair city. All four better come....that's all I gotta say. You can't escape me this time Larry :)

Does anyone know how films work for the TIFF regards to seeing them?
For example - no doubt actually getting tix to the very first showing is impossible but do they show films more than once?

Ok...here's my question. There are two screenings for it on the opening night. 6:30pm, and 8pm, and they're in different locations. 6:30 is apparently open to public, while the 8 is not. Soo...is it fair to say that if the boys are attending, they will be going to the 8pm showing? Because, as much as I want to see the film, I would rather wait outside the 8pm venue and get a chance to meet them rather than see the documentary on opening night, especially as there is another showing later and it's included in the Achtung Baby box set. :sigh: Is this a really obvious question? To be fair...I'm quite sleep deprived and probably over-thinking this way too much.

Does anyone know how films work for the TIFF regards to seeing them?
For example - no doubt actually getting tix to the very first showing is impossible but do they show films more than once?

Here is the hotline, 1.888.599.8433. If you check the link I posted today you'll notice that there are two showings at TIFF. What interests me is that the U2 doc is playing at Roy Thompson Hall which is sort of a venue as opposed to a movie theater.

Where does it say that the Roy Thompson movie is not open to the public? Where does it say that the Elgin is?

I was told by two different friends who seem to know what they're talking about. Doesn't make it true of course...but I'm just going off of what I've heard at this point. According to them, the premiere showing was so high in demand it's by invite only.

Ok...here's my question. There are two screenings for it on the opening night. 6:30pm, and 8pm, and they're in different locations. 6:30 is apparently open to public, while the 8 is not. Soo...is it fair to say that if the boys are attending, they will be going to the 8pm showing? Because, as much as I want to see the film, I would rather wait outside the 8pm venue and get a chance to meet them rather than see the documentary on opening night, especially as there is another showing later and it's included in the Achtung Baby box set. :sigh: Is this a really obvious question? To be fair...I'm quite sleep deprived and probably over-thinking this way too much.

That makes a lot of sense. Of course the boys will be at the later, swankier one. 6.30pm is a little too early to be 'gala'. You lucky Ontario-dweller, you! I'm thinking of skipping 3 days of college (Wed-Thurs-Fri) to head up to Toronto, but

1) no word on how much of an appearance the boys will be making at this (or if they're even going?) Or just Bono? Or Bono + Edge?

2) I don't know what to say to a mourning Adam, if I got my 10 seconds to chat with him :sigh:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom