For dog lovers Pt. 2

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
(Reuters) Bolstered by its popularity with celebrities and families, the Bulldog is back on the list of the 10 most popular purebred dogs after a 75-year absence, the American Kennel Club announced on Wednesday.

The Bulldog ranked 10th in the Kennel Club's annual ranking of popular dogs from the 157 different breeds it recognizes.

Topping the list of most popular dogs was the Labrador Retriever -- top dog since 1991 -- followed by the Yorkshire Terrier, the German Shepherd, the Golden Retriever and the Beagle, the Kennel Club said.

The broad-shouldered, stocky Bulldog with its characteristic under-bite and pugnacious gait has long been a mascot of sports teams and military units.

But their docile, even-tempered personality that belies their tough-guy image makes them good pets for families with young children, dog breeders say.

"Their personality is unlike any other dog. They are so expressive. If you look in their eyes you can almost see what they are thinking," said Tammy Hollock, 36, a part-time Bulldog breeder from Delran, New Jersey.

Bulldogs have been growing in popularity with celebrities including U.S. actors Adam Sandler and George Clooney, adding to their public appeal, Hollock said. The breed is the second-most popular dog in Los Angeles, the Kennel Club said.

The growing popularity of the Bulldog has a downside, according to Hollock and officials from the Kennel Club. Bulldogs can suffer from breathing problems and should only be treated by experienced veterinarians.

They are also unable to swim and breeders typically use artificial insemination and Caesarean sections when breeding the dogs to reduce the high risk of injury caused by the large size of the dog's head in proportion to its hips.

The elaborate precautions required when breeding Bulldogs puts the cost of a typical purebred bulldog puppy at $2,800, Hollock said.

Coming in at No. 6 on the Kennel Club list is the Boxer, followed by the Dachshund, the Poodle and the Shih Tzu.

I'm assuming they mean the English Bulldog? There's several breeds of Bulldog, but the English are the ones known to require C-sections for birth.

Lies here the latest pics of Peanut that you asked for :wave: Would greatly appreciate any advice you could give regarding his behavior please. Love the little guy so much but he's driving me crazy here! lol.

DSC00023.jpg

DSC00016-1.jpg

Taken today:

DSC00078.jpg

DSC00085.jpg

Last edited:
Woohoo Bears!! He is definitely half Pom half Chi!

I'll re-read your journal and then PM you.

I ordered this Bears collar for Coke and this other collar for Kenya. Coke's will have an adjuster and a snap buckle, Kenya's will be wider and have no buckles (adjustable loop Martingale, Martingales are my favorite dog collars).

yhst-18787568306640_1982_4205778

yhst-18787568306640_1981_1726046

Yeah Phil is a huge Bears fan. Kenya's crate "bed" is a Bears blanket. We also have a Cubs blanket and will probably have Cubs collars during baseball season. I have to get girly collars for Kenya b/c she is always mistaken for a male.

Oh man sounds like you didn't really have much of a choice in the matter here lol. Mike wanted to get Peanut a Cub's leash. I have managed to get him to compromise by getting a plain blue one instead lol.

Btw is that Kenya in your avi? Both her and are Coke are such beautiful shepards.

Yep, that's her. She looks "black and tan" in that picture, but she's actually a "sable" colored German Shepherd.

BonosBaby12 said:

:cute:! what race is he or she? Sorry I don't know that much about dogs, but I like them! A friend of mine has a rodesian richback, which is really a cute dog, when it's still a whelp :rolleyes: But I guess yours is staying that cute and little, or?:wink:

Liesje said:
I think Peanut is a Pomeranian/Chihuahua mix. He will stay just like he is :cute:

You are right that is what he is. Love the fact that he won't get bigger. They are so enjoyable at this small size :cute:

Thank you for the compliments everyone :hug: Eventually I will capture him when he's doing some really cute things. Always seems to do this stuff when I don't have the camera out to capture the moments lol.

As for the bed he pretty much believes that it is his! Whenever we go to sleep he races us to the room and jumps into our spot first :lol:

Kenya's son, Lance:
Lance_Herding_sep07.jpg

Lance_track6mo.jpg

Kenya's son, Bogey:
bogey_003.jpg

Kenya's son, Glacier:
Glacierxmas_web.jpg

Kenya's "twin" sister, Chevy:
DSC01231_2.jpg

Kenya's brother, Gabe:
gabe2007.jpg

Kenya's half-brother, Ammann (RIP - was shot and killed while protecting his family from someone in their home with a gun):
Ajax_and_Karma_pups_almost_5_weeks_062.jpg

Kenya's father, Narro (RIP):
narro_2.jpg

Kenya's mother, Dastra:
dastra.jpg

A handsome bunch, no? :wink:

BonosBaby12 said:

Shepards have to be one of the most beautiful breeds of dogs.

Hehe, of course! But I am biased. I love the variety....

Black sable
2122117241_359ae8c123_o.jpg

Black and Red
2122117205_91910c161e.jpg

White
white2.JPG

Long coat
Basia1-4.jpg

True bi-color (only tan on feet)
2122117181_acfbb9a813.jpg

Black and tan ("traditional" show color)
ISI_1YR.jpg

Blanket black
stack7small.jpg

Red sable
alexander1.jpg

You'd think these two were different breeds! (black sable and black & red long coat)
UKC%20Premier%20049.jpg

There's also solid blacks, and dilutes that have a "blue"(grayish) or "liver" (brown) saddle instead of black, and various coat patterns and length of fur...

I never even realized just how much of a variety you could find within this breed. Such beautiful colors! The white shepard is just gorgeous! Are they usually on a whole even tempered?

Btw be biased all you want I can't disagree with your opinion :wink:

Yes, on a whole they should be even tempered. They actually go from extremes - they must have extreme courage and nerves (at German style shows, the dogs are crowded together and they have people yelling and firing guns over head) but they must also have an on/off switch as far as when the work is done and when it's time to settle. Inside our home, Kenya is the most obedient, quiet, gentle, and relaxed dog I have ever met. She knows that when we are indoors, we are not chewing on furniture, barking, being wild, etc. They make great family pets because they are very eager to train, very easy to train, and can be trained to do any number of tasks. They are indoor, velcro dogs that need to bond with their people to be happy. You don't have to herd sheep or do police work to own a German shepherd. Temperament and drives will vary greatly based on breeding and the dog's lines. You see the dark muscular dog at the top? He is a Czech dog and is from working lines that are "hard" (tough dogs, very courageous) and very drivey (they want to work or they go crazy). American show lines are often more gently-tempered because they are bred for show and for family companionship, not protection work and ring sport.

Liesje said:

Black and tan ("traditional" show color)
ISI_1YR.jpg

Blanket black
stack7small.jpg

ahh cute!!! Can the black ones have a bright nose? like the traditionals have a black nose...sorry for that dull question :reject:

No, they all must have a black nose. A lack of black pigment on the nose is a fault. There are some with less black, but it would count against them.

For example, this is a famous dog in Kenya's pedigree, Lord vom Gleisdreieck. See how he is lacking black on his muzzle? Luckily, he was a sport/working dog, not a show dog.
lord.jpg

The whites of course do not need a black nose, but whites are not included in the German Shepherd standard and are show only in certain kennel clubs under their own variety (you cannot show a white in the AKC). Sometimes they get "snow nose" which is when their actual nose pigment fades. This is also a fault.
snow+nose.JPG

Kenya is actually slightly lacking in pigment on her nose/face. She did fine in the show ring, but overall right now the judges are not being so picky about pigment. I prefer a dog with dark pigment on it's face, black all the way up to the eyes.
2058717318_73996a71e6.jpg

^ oh wow, I really didn't knew that it's a lacking when they don't they a complete black nose!
Yep, dark face and pale fur at the neck is really sweet!!!

I'm still partial to the black and tan GSDs, must be a childhood attachment thing.

Cute beagle!

I will be going to see my parents in 10 days...quality Samson time! :drool:

anitram said:
I'm still partial to the black and tan GSDs, must be a childhood attachment thing.

I go in circles and change my mind everyday. With Kenya I did not have a choice. I think my next will be a traditional black/tan or black/red German high lines, as such:

faye1.jpg

Liesje said:

I go in circles and change my mind everyday. With Kenya I did not have a choice. I think my next will be a traditional black/tan or black/red German high lines, as such:

faye1.jpg

oooooh!! That's what kind of GSD I would like to get.

That's a really beautiful dog. If I was getting a GSD, it's exactly the look/colouring I'd want.

I think I'd like to own a GSD and a Collie together someday. We've had both, and I've never owned any other breed, so maybe that's why. For a long time I wanted a Bernese Mountain Dog and I've loved my best friend's Great Danes and St. Bernard but I just feel like the really giant breeds are not for me. I find them a bit too lazy and I like to do physical things with my dogs. That's why I like the herding group in general. Anyway, I need a Collie because I just love to run my fingers through the fur, and with short haired dogs I always feel like I'm petting a banister, haha. I also find them much more affectionate as a breed than the GSDs. But I like the physical traits of a GSD and their trainability, so it would be a nice complement. Not that Collies are not trainable, but they are certainly a "please hug me now" breed more than a "I want to go on an obstacle course" breed. And I'd like to have both.

anitram said:
That's a really beautiful dog. If I was getting a GSD, it's exactly the look/colouring I'd want.

It's my friend Julie's dog (Kenya's breeder). Her name is Faye (V Faye vom Kirschental HGH KKL1). Kirschental is one of the most famous, most respected, and most successful German Shepherd kennels in the world. Karl Fuller breeds show line/high line German Shepherds, but he is known for breeding females with the highest herding titles to males with the highest show and sport titles. Most kennels barely title their brood bitches, which I've never understood. The dog is getting half its genes from the dam, so why would you only ever pay attention to your males? Not Karl Fuller. He has also been breeding for 5 decades and is first and foremost a shepherd himself.

karlmnuf.jpg

I also love many of the large breeds, but I don't think I will ever own one. They have some health complications due to size and usually don't live as long. I would love a tri-color smooth Collie.

Liesje said:

I would love a tri-color smooth Collie.

I had a smooth Collie growing up. Always have a soft spot for them, since they aren't nearly as familiar to people as the rough Collie! Hope to have another some day...

Some pics from today:

Cosmo
2230962043_3dbd4463b9.jpg

Gracie
2230967951_949cd60ee3.jpg

Play Time
2230954733_6865f9d818.jpg

2219301903_8aa5204543.jpg

Nap Time!
2230962037_65837e6403.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.