For Dog Lovers.... Part 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I LOVED your last pic, U2Fanatic4ever!! :wave:

This is Coco :love: (he's 8 years old :D)

DSC01733.jpg

Very nice. Is coco a Brittany Spaniel? He looks a lot like my late dog Daisy ( she was 12).

Does anyone have an opinion on Bark Busters? I have a list of issues with my dogs, mostly Archie, and I need solutions. His problems involve fence jumping (and thus playing around the street with Sally (who he lets out, somehow, cause she cannot jump like he does)), jumping up on people, nerves and lack of social skills, and lately not obeying. When I call him to lock him away if we need to go out, he either ignores me or surrenders by rolling on his back. I thought this was submissive, but that doesn't explain the disobedience does it? If he truly sees me as leader then why does he ignore me? Or why does he submit when I approach him if I'm not leader in his eyes? It's times like this I wish I knew where he came from. I'm sure there's history in those few weeks he had before us. I suspect he came from a questionable home, if you've not read the story of how Archie came to us before. By questionable I mean suspecting breeding for dog fighting, abuse or neglect in some form.

I need teaching, desperately. We've used a dog trainer in the past with some success with Sally, but Bark Busters guarantee their techniques. I need my own Cesar.

Bark Busters is like a franchise chain, no? I think we have that here too, and it totally depends on who you get. IMO dog training is more of a skill than a job, some people "get it" and some just never will (even if their intentions are well and good).

What training has Archie had up until this point? How was the recall originally trained and proofed? My first guess is that it has nothing to do with dominance/submission but he just doesn't understand what you want. The whole "pack leader", alpha, dominance spiel is really out-dated theory that has been disproved by modern science and learning theory. Unless you have a truly dominant dog (which I would bet a lot of money you don't), the dog simply does what works for him. If he's not doing what you want, the easiest solution is to train and "incompatible" behavior that gets him what he wants, ie train him that coming to you = food treats, praise, play. One thing to make sure of is that you are not always calling him and then putting him inside. He might think that recall = harsh words and end of fun outdoors. During the training process, make sure you *never* use a recall command that the dog might ignore, the more he ignores it, the more worthless the command becomes. I would put this dog on a long line and let him do whatever it is he does, have some tasty treats in your pocket, once he is not paying attention to you, call him, if he ignores the call, reel him in on the long leash and when he gets to you, give him a good treat, praise him, and then give him a "release" (like "OK go!" or "Break!") and let him go back to doing what he was doing. Just do this game over and over, like 20 times in a row, once or twice a day for a week or two. He needs to learn that coming when called is a good thing and doesn't just result in getting locked away.

If you need a way to get the dog's attention, you can use a whistle or something like that. Start by making a positive association with the whistle.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXZPwZjipS0

Or just use the dog's name.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQVmMchoteM

The nerves, submissiveness, and lack of social skills depend largely on a dogs genetics and secondly on what socialization they received during the crucial period (like 8-16 weeks). Since you don't know his background, I would just work on making all training and interactions a very positive experience for him. He probably needs a confidence boost so he's not rolling on his back.

Anyone have any experience with sebaceous cysts? Specifically, when do you know it is "empty"? I've read it will probably keep coming back, how often should I be checking it? The dog doesn't seem to know it's there, did not even stop what he was doing when we were emptying it out (which we only did b/c at first I thought the little scab was an engorged tick, and then once we pulled that off and realized there was no tick, the rest just came out easily).

Also, same dog has a toenail on a back foot that is constantly bleeding. Anytime we train outdoors or play fetch it seems to rip open again. Doesn't bother the dog at all but my landlord has off white carpets, eek. So he either has to be locked outside or in his crate, or wear a sock on his foot when it's bleeding. I know styptic powder can be packed on to stop the bleeding but I'm wondering if it just needs to be cauterized for good? The nail got ripped really short once so the quick is right there at the tip and hasn't receded yet. I've already gone through one instance of dog blood covering every square foot of my carpet, I'd rather not repeat it!

^ Toenail...are you talking about the dewclaw, or one of the other digits? Because frankly, from the handful of cases I've seen where a chronically bleeding/'hangnail' dewclaw became an issue, it usually winds up being best to just remove it, that being a nonfunctional vestigial digit anyway.

Yeah, like yolland said, just nip it in the bud Lies. Even a functional digit is probably worth permanently repairing. You don't show this dog, do you? I'd say remove it.

And thank you for the tips earlier. I have a lot of work to do with Archie. I took some liver treats out earlier just to give him a treat, and he was obviously willingly following me everywhere and obeying his pitifully small number of commands.

It's not a dewclaw, just a regular one, actually two but one opens up more often. I don't think he has rear dewclaws (breeder does not remove them, but they aren't always there). I show this dog under two organizations.

Anyone have any experience with sebaceous cysts? Specifically, when do you know it is "empty"? I've read it will probably keep coming back, how often should I be checking it? The dog doesn't seem to know it's there, did not even stop what he was doing when we were emptying it out (which we only did b/c at first I thought the little scab was an engorged tick, and then once we pulled that off and realized there was no tick, the rest just came out easily).

I'm familiar with the human kind. :lol: I've had 3 in my life, and actually I have one right now.

You can't know by eye that it's empty, that's why usually when you either get it lanced or it empties on its own, you take antibiotics and that generally works so that it doesn't come back.

I think I'll just leave it be then. It's very small and he doesn't seem to know it's there, it's just a little scab now. It seems like lancing it would just open up the risk for infection. What antibiotics do you take?

I think I'll just leave it be then. It's very small and he doesn't seem to know it's there, it's just a little scab now. It seems like lancing it would just open up the risk for infection. What antibiotics do you take?

I take clarithromycin, because I'm allergic to penicillin but penicillin is the default antibiotic generally given for these.

Just monitor it to see if it's still weepy - I had one time where it would weep a little (when squeezed) every day for a few weeks, then it became obvious that I needed antibiotics. Cleared up with them right away.

Sounds similar to what I get. I often get impetigo on my head (can't see it thank goodness!). It's about the size as what Nikon has, mine maybe a bit bigger, but the drainage is clear, Nikon's was nastier like a giant zit :barf: If mine doesn't dry up using hot compresses to drain it within two weeks I take cephlexine.

I'll watch his and if it starts to fill up again I can start him on abx and go to the vet. I'm hoping it stays like it is for a while, he has an important show in two weeks so I can't have his side shaved!

Sounds similar to what I get.

Yeah, my Dad carries staph and has had it many times (even inside his nostrils, talk about nasty), and I had it once. A sebaceous cyst is much thicker on the inside, it's full of keratin so the description of Nikon's makes total sense.

Hope it clears up for him soon, and good luck at the show!

No idea, but it's being reported everywhere that he died last week, no word on cause. Julie said to me a few weeks ago that she was worried about him because shortly after her litter, she didn't see any registered breedings to him which is rare considering his age and caliber, but maybe he just started shooting blanks. Sadly, not the case. :(

DOGS

So today Billie was chasing a ball at the dog park and collided head first into a cocker spaniel. Scared the hell out of me, she was making noises I'd never heard any dog make before and was really worried she'd broken a leg on the landing. I'm pretty sure she was knocked out for a moment. Got up after a couple of minutes and quickly got back into chasing the ball and has since been acting fine, but has anyone had something similar with bad effects? Worth taking her to the vet just in case?

I would just watch her closely and call the vet at any sign of dizziness, vomiting, pain, etc.

Last weekend, Nikon did something to himself. I don't remember him getting hurt but then as we were getting ready for bed we noticed he could barely walk and was not putting pressure on one leg. He didn't care when I stretched him all over so I kenneled him for the night. The next morning was training and he hopped out of the van and went to work like nothing happened. :shrug:

Last weekend, Nikon did something to himself. I don't remember him getting hurt but then as we were getting ready for bed we noticed he could barely walk and was not putting pressure on one leg. He didn't care when I stretched him all over so I kenneled him for the night. The next morning was training and he hopped out of the van and went to work like nothing happened. :shrug:

Maybe his leg fell asleep? This happens to Samson pretty often, since he was a puppy. For some reason, unlike every other dog that we've had who liked to shift positions a lot, he can sleep in the same one happily and then gets up and can't walk on whatever front leg he was lying on top of. It goes away pretty fast though.

Who knows. He was limping badly for a few hours so I put him in a crate for the night. He probably pulled his shoulder. He's been injured a few times playing fetch (and gone to the vet for limping in the rear). I guess he slept it off. Yesterday he did the 1 meter jump and went over the wall at full height/steepness (1.8 meters).

I'm looking for a puppy to buy a year from now and my head is already spinning!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom