Experience: Daniel Lanois at Shepherds Bush Empire *

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

salomeU2000

The Fly
[SIMG]http://bonovox.interference.com/bios/lanoisthumb.jpg[/SIMG]
By Ed Thorpe

London, Tuesday 28th October 2003

Arguably better known for his celebrated portfolio of production work with U2, Bob Dylan, Emmylou Harris, Peter Gabriel and others, Daniel Lanois showed on Tuesday that his own songs are more than capable of lifting any occasion far from the ordinary.

Opening with ?The Maker? from his debut record, "Acadie," the band took the stage one by one building the song in parts up into an uplifting start to a memorable night. The penultimate night of his European tour in support of his latest record, "Shine," Lanois and his three-piece band, including legendary jazz drummer Brian Blade, pulled on the emotions of the London audience with a set of rare passion and beauty. Drawing from all three of his solo records, as well as soundtracks and tradition songs, Lanois's unique guitar style intertwined wonderfully with harmony singing from the bass player and female vocalist to form pictures of love, life and hope. Bleak, haunting instrumentals were interspersed with better-known tracks, including a version of ?Where Will I Be,? originally recorded with Emmylou Harris. The band included previously rarely performed a cappella songs in celebration of a rare visit to London, before leaving the frailty of some of the acoustic numbers behind, and completing the widescreen set with a surging guitar driven soundscapes.

Closing the set with the powerful "Brother L.A.," Lanois made no excuse for the idealism in his songs and encouraged the audience, on more than one occasion, to dream. Many thought they were when a few bars into the encore ?Falling at your Feet? the band was joined by Bono, who added his distinctive vocals (despite stumbling over some of the words) to the track originally recorded for the "Million Dollar Hotel" soundtrack. Bono told the crowd, ?I learnt all the good shit, from him [Lanois],? before departing with a celebratory peace sign and his customary grin. Lanois responded with a wry smile before saying ?? that boy will go far, someday?. Finishing with a lullaby on the pedal steel, the band left the audience eager for more, as they departed for the last night of the tour in Dublin on Thursday night.

I had the pleasure of meeting Daniel Lanois backstage at the Neil Young/Pearl Jam/Soundgarden/Blues Traveller show at the CNE Stadium in Toronto in August of 1993. He was such a nice guy, and much more talkative than I'd expect. Anyways it's just been announced that Daniel Lanois will be playing our folk festival this summer (Winnipeg Folk Festival) and I can't wait.

Back
Top Bottom