Entertainment Weekly names Achtung Baby "new classic"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's awesome. I adore Achtung Baby. One of my two favorite U2 albums (the other being TUF), although I think Achtung has a slight edge. It is a true masterpiece.

There are a lot of good choices on this list, but I think I would've ordered them quite differently. That Lauryn Hill album at #2 was excellent, but better than AB? That's a stretch...

I'm surprised Joshua Tree is as far down as it is. Are there write-ups or blurbs to go along with this in the magazine? Anyone?

No Laz, unfortunately. I have the issue, it has Mr Hewson has one of many people in the cover, but that's it.:|

Achtung! :up:

I like that they put College Dropout ahead of Graduation and Late Registration. :up:

Good to see an Eminem album in the top 15. :up:

Love for Is This It. :up:

The inclusion of a Mariah Carey album. :down: :down: :down:

Keep in mind that this is Entertainment Weekly.

Not a whole lot of valid, credible journalism coming from that rag I mean, they have to churn garbage out every week.

My mother is addicted to inane lists. She'll watch VH1 or whatever and call me up - "Did you know that Tina Turner is the second best vocalist in pop history? It's true; it was on a list. A list put together by experts." GAH! :doh:

If we stop picking apart these lists, they'll go away...:hmm:

No Laz, unfortunately. I have the issue, it has Mr Hewson has one of many people in the cover, but that's it.:|
Well, it DOES have a write-up about Achtung Baby... but aside from that, yeah, nothing about The Joshua Tree (it placed in the 60's, I think).

...Was cool seeing the B-Man on the cover, though. One of my favorite pictures of him in this new millenium - looks so cool and casual :bono:

ALSO, why the heck did "Back to the Future" place so low on the movies list? It really is a very entertaining, solid motion picture with a damn good story and writing... effects still hold up today and the score is prodiguous. Also... DOC BROWN!! EIGHTY-EIGHT MILES PER HOOOOUUUUUUUR!!!!!

EDIT: everyone see Wall*E this weekend. it's going to be great, fantastic, best movie of the year (yes, it will most likely even be better than The Dark Knight)... GO! GO! GO!
*rushes off to purchase tickets for tonight's midnight showing*

One of these days I'll have to get Purple Rain and listen to it to see if it deserves all the hype it gets from music historians and revisionists over the years.

As for the list, meh it's yet another subjective list. As always there will be a variety of reactions based on each of our individual tastes. It's pointless getting angry about what got included and what didn't.

Props for including Achtung Baby so high though! :up: I don't think it always gets the respect it deserves!

One of these days I'll have to get Purple Rain and listen to it to see if it deserves all the hype it gets from music historians and revisionists over the years.

You've never heard PURPLE RAIN??? Dude, 6 more years and it would have come out in the 90's. It would be your favorite record of all time. :wink: Seriously, you'll love it.

I'll save you some time: it does. Oh, yes. It does.

But you should still listen to it. Over and over again.

Back
Top Bottom