Eno said...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The music may be a new left turn for the band, but those song titles are about as lame and cliched as you can possibly get. "You Can't Give Away Your Heart"?? "Love is All We Have Left"?? Give me a fucking break.

The music may be a new left turn for the band, but those song titles are about as lame and cliched as you can possibly get. "You Can't Give Away Your Heart"?? "Love is All We Have Left"?? Give me a fucking break.

I completely agree...wtf, those titles are absolutely ridiculous....I'd try to stay away from using the word "love" in any title :hmm:

maybe that would eliminate the tendency for making the cheesiest most cliche, cringeworthy titles that are almost embarrassing to say aloud :giggle:

why not? it's purely that- speculation based on the title. I see nothing wrong with people doing that.

Well it's a little pointless. You can think all you want it's about love or u2 hanging it up or whatever but that's based on nothing, and it will cause distortion and/or disappointment when people actually hear the song.

Well it's a little pointless. You can think all you want it's about love or u2 hanging it up or whatever but that's based on nothing, and it will cause distortion and/or disappointment when people actually hear the song.

But this site thrives on being disappointed. Stop trying to legislate sanity.

Whether Eno was saying best U2 song or best song he has done with U2, that's pretty well the same deal. I mean... WTSHNN, One, WOWY, Pride, Bad, Beautiful Day, Mysterious Ways for starters. He might as well have said best U2 song ever... unless you consider I Will Follow, New Year's Day, or Vertigo to be miles ahead of these... :rolleyes: When Eno says best of his songs, he's saying best song period.

I completely agree...wtf, those titles are absolutely ridiculous....I'd try to stay away from using the word "love" in any title :hmm:

maybe that would eliminate the tendency for making the cheesiest most cliche, cringeworthy titles that are almost embarrassing to say aloud :giggle:

OK, these are VERY vague working titles. I don't think songs with such titles will find their way on a U2 album. On the other hand, Bono may not use LOVE in the title, but in the end we know how often he'll use it in a song. :wink:

...and No Line on The Horizon as well. Although those Fez titles were working titles at the time according to Bono, I seem to remember.

Dublin, Ireland 2007-2008
  • Moment of Surrender - U2valencia report, June 2008
  • No Line On The Horizon - USAToday interview, January 2008

Fez, Morocco summer 2007
  • For Your Love - Interview telquel-online.com, June 2007
  • One Bird - Same as above, June 2007

2004->
  • Thank You/Thank You For The Day - Bono/Lanois collaboration, Beach Clip July 2006
  • If I Could Live My Life Again - Bono in Conversation with Michka Assayas.
  • Love Is All We Have Left - NBC interview, May 2006

How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb leftovers:
  • Mercy - leaked 2004-2005 (?)
  • North Star - Interview with organ player Michael W. Smith, March 2005
  • Lead Me In The Way I Should Go - Grammy Magazine interview 2003
  • You Can't Give Away Your Heart - First mentioned in SPIN Magazine interview 2001.

Most of these may be working titles, who knows what songs made it until this point in time.

:up: Good point, it's One Bird.

Most of these may be working titles, who knows what songs made it until this point in time.

Exactly, I read an old article from the pre-All That You Can't Leave Behind era a couple of weeks back and during one day of work a song called Jubilee turned into Stir My Soul, just like that. (I like the opening lines though: "Speak to me of the supernatural things/I will listen if you can tell me why the songbird sings") Song titles tend to change constantly in the U2 camp until they're recorded and in the shops. Here is the article I talked about:
News: U2 Stirring Their Souls in the Studio

Whether Eno was saying best U2 song or best song he has done with U2, that's pretty well the same deal. I mean... WTSHNN, One, WOWY, Pride, Bad, Beautiful Day, Mysterious Ways for starters. He might as well have said best U2 song ever... unless you consider I Will Follow, New Year's Day, or Vertigo to be miles ahead of these... :rolleyes: When Eno says best of his songs, he's saying best song period.

Amen to that.

I remember seeing the titles to AB before hearing any of thes songs and thinking, "oh shit, these are horrible"...

I mean come on, 'The Fly', 'Love is Blindness', 'Even Better than the Real Thing'?

I remember seeing the titles to AB before hearing any of thes songs and thinking, "oh shit, these are horrible"...

I mean come on, 'The Fly', 'Love is Blindness', 'Even Better than the Real Thing'?

Yeah but there were no internet forums back then for people to act as the armchair quarterback or I guess I should say armchair producer.
How could fans spread their negativity all around the world circa 1992? Phone calls?!!
Listen to some of you people be so negative over hearsay.
How can you expect to like something when you are already disapponted and angry before anything?
Do you start whining about how bad dinner is going to be tonight before you even see the menu?

Sorry, but titles like Moment Of Surrender and No Line On The Horizon >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Of The Species and Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of, IMO.

Can someone start a thread so we can start bitching about the typeface in the liner notes?
I mean, if they don't choose the right font, then they are truly washed up!

Sorry, but titles like Moment Of Surrender and No Line On The Horizon >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Original Of The Species and Stuck In A Moment You Can't Get Out Of, IMO.

oh of course LM, I agree...well first of all, No Line On the Horizon is a fucking awesome title, one of my all time favorites maybe...really cool...Moment of Surrender isn't all that bad either, much better than the similar "stuck in a moment you can't get out of" title...

No more slow songs. :down:

Rock me, dammit. :angry:

Depends on the slow song. WoWY and One are still great slow songs. "Sometimes..." has its moments. I never really cared for "Stuck..." but I know others have as it became a huge post-9/11 hit. Also, "Love Is Blindness", "Kite" and "Miracle Drug" are some of my favorite non-single slow U2 songs.

Then there's the medium range songs (some might call slow, some might call soft rock), like "City..." and "Walk On" and "Who's Gonna Ride...", etc. Those are great too.

So while I agree overall - more rock and less slop (I can do without "A Man and a Woman" forever) - a slow or slower song, if done right, can be brilliant.

Depends on the slow song. WoWY and One are still great slow songs. "Sometimes..." has its moments. I never really cared for "Stuck..." but I know others have as it became a huge post-9/11 hit. Also, "Love Is Blindness", "Kite" and "Miracle Drug" are some of my favorite non-single slow U2 songs.

Then there's the medium range songs (some might call slow, some might call soft rock), like "City..." and "Walk On" and "Who's Gonna Ride...", etc. Those are great too.

So while I agree overall - more rock and less slop (I can do without "A Man and a Woman" forever) - a slow or slower song, if done right, can be brilliant.

yeah I agree, and so many more....Running to Stand Still and Trip from JT come to mind right now.....

Ok, let's take a look at some of the "best" songs Eno has done with U2:

Pride (In the Name of Love)
Bad
With or Without You
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
Where the Streets Have no Name
Running To Stand Still
One
Stay (Faraway, So Close)
Miss Sarajevo
Kite

And he's saying Moment of Surrender is better than ALL of these????

Wow. Even if it is true, it will be extremely difficult to live up to that type of hype. I mean, better than Where the Streets Have No Name? One? That would be so great to see. U2, deep into their later years, putting out their best song. Has that ever been done before?

Bad
With or Without You
Running To Stand Still
One
Stay (Faraway, So Close)
Miss Sarajevo
Kite

Wow. Even if it is true, it will be extremely difficult to live up to that type of hype. I mean, better than Where the Streets Have No Name? One? That would be so great to see. U2, deep into their later years, putting out their best song. Has that ever been done before?

I don't get it...is he actually serious? The BEST song he has EVER done with U2? I mean it's hard to believe, honestly....did he forget about JT and AB?...streets, WOWY, Pride...one, the fly, etc....i mean COME ON!!! better than Bad?!?!?!?

Eno doesn't seem to hype the album up that much...so I can't help but be absolutely shocked by his statements...I really don't know how to react to it...

What do you expect him to say?
"It's alright I guess. Nothing special really."

:huh:

:lol: what?! So you're saying that I shouldn't be caught off guard by Brian Eno saying that a new song is the greatest song he has ever recorded with U2? And it's either that or "It's alright I guess. Nothing special really." ???

Treason is a track supposedly produced by Dr. Dre. I'm still waiting for that song to come out.

Skyhawk I thought might have become Vertigo but I don't think so anymore. I'm not sure what became of it or what happened to it.

Someone should add Treason to that main list.

I thought Skyhawk was COBL and I'm not even sure why I think that anymore.
I know 'Firefly' was confirmed (by Bono I think) to be COBL.

There were rumors of two soundtrack songs (around the time U2 was scrapping their album and restarting and all that) and one of them was Skyhawk and annoyingly I can't think of the other song title. I think that the Gwenyth Paltrow movie was supposed to be this one. Sky Captain of Tomorrow or whatever the hell it was called. And the other might have been for Spiderman 2? That might have been Firefly which would obviously make them two different songs?

I wish I could remember the exact context. Somebody needs to do a search for 'Skyhawk' in this forum and the date would have been probably between Feb 2004-Aug 2004.We were talking about all those titles and trying to figure out which one went where, if Skyhawk wasn't a known song, I would have probably remembered that. So, I think if it's Vertigo or COBL, it's a song on HTDAAB. For some reason I've remembered it as COBL though.

Bad
With or Without You
Running To Stand Still
One
Stay (Faraway, So Close)
Miss Sarajevo
Kite

I know ! This has to be one spectacular song to deserve such hype. Then again, he has worked on all those songs so maybe by now he knows when a classic's in the making.

For fans that were around for JT or AB, did Eno and Lanois ever hype U2 albums so much before ?

But you'll find that those titles are from the older sessions, from at least 4 or 5 years ago. Songs probably ditched or renamed prior to HTDAAB.

One Bird, No Line On The Horizon are newer title revelations.

Bad
With or Without You
Running To Stand Still
One
Stay (Faraway, So Close)
Miss Sarajevo
Kite

The bloke is biased. He is thrilled with this one song he had just been working on and of course he´s full of hype with something fresh, new and exciting to him.

Don´t believe the hype. The same guy said that Stuck in a Moment will be U2´s greatest, look how that turned out.

Back
Top Bottom