Elevation Boston V.S. Elevation Slane

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Slane DVD is the one I watch the most out of all the officially released concert DVDs. I'll take it.

For Boston:

Gone
Fly
Stay
The look of disdain on Larry's face when he sees the lame-ass sit down protesters

Anti-Boston

Lame crowd

For Slane

Streets
Overall looser band performance
Out of Control

Which one to buy ? Easy, both.

Chizip said:
1. The production sets up the whole concert. After 2 giants/over the top tours, the heart and GA was a great change of pace to bring people closer to the band and make it a more special experience.
2. I agree the disappearance was a crime.
3. Disagree. After 2 tours without a full band SBS, it was fresh and new again. Vertigo Tour version is the worst, its back to being dull and his talking in the middle of it kills all the momentum.
4. After Popmart's abbreviated version of IWF, and ZooTV not playing it much, this was fresh again as well.
5. Agree
6. Agree
7. It was nice they didn't ignore Pop
8. Streets has the capability to be THE highlight of any U2 show. A lot of the times it was during the Elevation Tour. It really took the crowd to another level. The Vertigo version pales in comparison.
9. I liked it, it was a big surprise. Though full band Please is much better.
10. Agree

And I can't believe I forgot about Until the End of the World. That was really a badass performance as well.

1. Well, yeah, but I'm not one to really think much about that stuff. I have never focused on the presentation from any band. My focus is solely on the music.
3. Vertigo SBS for me is automatically better than Elevation's because of the Rock The Casbah snippet, and Bono's voice is stronger. And it had only been one tour since the full SBS: ZooTV had the full SBS, then Edge only on Popmart, then back to the full version.
4. I think it sounds really dull. Bono ruined it by going on and on before "your eyes make a circle". And, like I said, his act of holding his guitar was just stupid.
7. That is true.

Blue Room said:
I'm wondering to those of you trashing Elevation, did you attend a show in person or are you basing that on bootlegs and video only? Because its not the same thing IMO.

Maybe for you. I think it's dependent on how you enjoy concerts. The way I enjoy concerts, my basic opinion is not at all changed by whether or not I'm there. It's more fun to be there live, yes, that's why I go, but my general opinion on the quality of the performance and emotion present doesn't change a jot.

toscano said:
Anti-Boston

Lame crowd

I don't get why this is an issue. I don't even watch the crowd. I didn't know the Boston DVD had a lame crowd until I came to Interference.

Not crazy about anything from the Slane DVD so I guess I'll have to choose the Boston version, which sounded fine to me.

I'm sure the Slane show was better, but there's something about the DVD that makes the crowd seem really distant. There's no crowd noise coming through and a lot of the interaction seems cut out. I prefer the bootleg of the Slane show or the Boston DVD.

Boston was the rawk show. The Fly, Gone, and Bullet (with an amazing rap). Plus, I am too biased when it comes to Bad being in the setlist. Bad/40/Streets is a combo that rules all U2 combos.
Slane is very good too, but this setlist is more like a greatest hits package (nothing wrong with this for new fan). The only Slane track that I absolutely love is Kite and now that Sydney Kite is out, I don't need to see/hear Slane Kite as much.

Boston for me. And I love IWF from Boston a lot.

Slane. What a motherfucking celebration.

IWF is ruined by the retarded 'ring those bells' interlude that goes on way too long. At least Out of Control from Slane had them doing something useful by thanking people while they were ruining the song.

Fuck the segue into Streets - the performance from Slane itself is 10x, possible 30x better. It's a motherfuckin' freight train by the time Edge kicks in the distortion for the second verse and the camera angle comes in behind the band as you see the crowd jumping in unison.

Stuck has some brilliant guitar work and Bono nails the vocal intro instead of his abortion of an attempt during Boston.

Mysterious Ways with his girl up on stage, Adam looking over smiling, the expressions on the audience members' faces - it's ice cream on the cake.

Beautiful Day with the Goal is Soul outro - Bono is just 100% on top of everything.

Kite is superior from Slane, though probably just because of the circumstances.

Slane by a mile.

I'll take Bono looking like a fish for half the concert over Bono croaking like a frog through half the songs a la Boston.

Last edited:
Boston is better.

1. Better voice
2. The Fly :drool:
3. Gone :drool:
4. Kite :drool:

I honestly liked the Elvation Tour. I think it was varied. The last leg was bad though. I saw the 1st Zurich show, it was tremendous!!!! A friend saw the second one and there were 8 or 9 different songs between both nights..... impressive.

Slane, Boston is good.. but decidely average when you compare it with the enormity of slane.

I like Boston better :dancing:

The part when Bono grabs&bites that girls hand during The Fly :combust: :faint:

Axver said:

Maybe for you. I think it's dependent on how you enjoy concerts. The way I enjoy concerts, my basic opinion is not at all changed by whether or not I'm there. It's more fun to be there live, yes, that's why I go, but my general opinion on the quality of the performance and emotion present doesn't change a jot.

I know, I'm sure Auckland Vertigo would be just as amazing as being there watching a DVD of it. Right?

If you are seriously comparing watching a DVD of a show as the same as actually being there. I dont agree at all, and I think you are in the minority on that view. Why even go to a concert then? Just wait for the bootleg or official DVD. :shrug:

Boston Choices:

Gone
New York
I Will Follow
Sunday Bloody Sunday
Stay
Bad
Bullet The Blue Sky
The Fly

Slane Choices:

Elevation
Beautiful Day
Until The End of The World
New Year's Day
Out of Control
Stuck in A Moment
Kite
Staring At The Sun
All I Want is You
Streets
With or Without You
One
Walk On
Mysterious Ways

So, gotta go for "TEH S7AN3"

:laugh: It seems the people who were at a concert from Elevation like the tour and those who weren't are the ones who are bashing it in this thread.

Blue Room said:

I know, I'm sure Auckland Vertigo would be just as amazing as being there watching a DVD of it. Right?

If you are seriously comparing watching a DVD of a show as the same as actually being there. I dont agree at all, and I think you are in the minority on that view. Why even go to a concert then? Just wait for the bootleg or official DVD. :shrug:
:lol:

Hmm...

There are several points to measure here:

Boston has the Fly (a wicked version IMO, I love the acoustic intro and not having Edge do the high parts sounds good for a change) and Gone (with the sweet guitar solo followed by guitar kicking).

Slane has one of my most favorite versions of ISHFWILF and a more complete version of Wake Up Dead Man which gives me goose bumps...

Bono's voice has it's ups and downs in both shows.

Slane has the emotional edge and the better crowd and the editing is better, there is more interaction with the crowd and more normal pauses between songs while Bono takes a drink or Edge changes his guitar. For some reason it feels kind of cold and detached however, I can't describe it but it feels kind of distant.

Boston on the other hand has a more intimate and warm feeling and a harder sound with more ATYCLB songs in the set. On the other hand, the editing is poor, there is little crowd interaction (for obvious reasons I guess) and there are too many quick cuts and not enough natural pause between songs.

In terms of pure concerts, I would give it to Boston because they had to work harder for it. The previous night had been shit (see the making of) and the crowd was dull. I'm not trying to lessen the impact of what happened previous to Slane but that crowd would have been going nuts no matter what or how they played.

In terms of DVDs... Slane wins

Slane has better Audio and Video (me likey anamorphic widescreen).

For extras, Boston has a making of and some multiple angles which are kind of redundant.

Slane has Mysterious Ways (which is cute with his daughter dancing) and the Unforgettable Fire documentary (which has one of the funniest lines uttered in any U2 doc about rock music blacking out the sun).

Hmmm... I get to the end of the analyzing and I'm still not sure... I'm going to go with my gut and say Boston because I enjoy the set list more and the show has a better feeling to me overall.

elevated_u2_fan said:
Hmm...

Slane has one of my most favorite versions of ISHFWILF and a more complete version of Wake Up Dead Man which gives me goose bumps...

:huh: :huh: Mate there's no Still Haven't found in Slane :eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom