Dave Fanning Comments From U2.com

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I love HTDAAB

about a month ago i started to play it again after about a year of not putting it into my cd player and i have fallen in love with it again. Miracle Drug sounds bloody amazing and i don't care what u lot on here say but Vertigo was a fantastic lead single a big rock song with a killer riff & chorus

It was a great collection of songs and I agree that Vertigo was a great lead single _ and brilliant live ! Miracle Drug should have been a single release as should AMAAW _ but U2 lacked balls in this respect instead going (safe) for ABOY, COBL I hope this time they really do `abuse their position' and f@ck up the mainstream (radio) Mike

It was a great collection of songs and I agree that Vertigo was a great lead single _ and brilliant live ! Miracle Drug should have been a single release as should AMAAW _ but U2 lacked balls in this respect instead going (safe) for ABOY, COBL I hope this time they really do `abuse their position' and f@ck up the mainstream (radio) Mike
Lacked the balls to release AMAAW? That track is so MOR even Sting would have passed on it.

Lacked the balls to release AMAAW? That track is so MOR even Sting would have passed on it.

A great song that Bono was quoted (in Q mag) as one he wished had gotten recognition. I only have some sympathy as if he wanted recognition for it because it was in the bands hands _ release it and there you go. you are of course entitled to your opinion but so am I and I think it is a great track, certainly better than most on HTDAAB. Not that you have to agre but Dave Fanning also gives it a (positive) mention in his comments on NLOTH and he has been listening to U2 longer than both of is probably (me since 82)

Mike

Everyone is obviously entitled to their own opinion...but I just don't get why AMAAW is even remotely good.

Again, its just me...but it seems like something a really good boy band could have performed.

And by the way "really good boy band" is as big of an oxymoron as you can get.

Don't worry so much. If the majority of his radio show is anything to go by, Fanning has appalling taste in music.

Exactly.... the guy is in his mid 50's.......back in the day he preferred the Northern Irish band the Undertones to U2.....one of his idols is Randy Newman(an artist who would put me to sleep) and he likes polka dancing...safe to say I'm not a fan.

his comments about the end of the triology or the beginning of something new doesn't surprise me....EDGE said that 1/2 the albums were experimental, and the other 1/2 was the traditional constant review of getting it right like the last couple albums. these are the results?

Exactly.... the guy is in his mid 50's.......back in the day he preferred the Northern Irish band the Undertones to U2.....one of his idols is Randy Newman(an artist who would put me to sleep) and he likes polka dancing...safe to say I'm not a fan.

Ha, I think Randy Newman is a genius. Now I want to check out some Undertones stuff.

The opening four tracks in style and duration prove that this album is something different.

Relax folks, Fanning himself has said that he is not a "brilliant" judge of music.

By the way, before 'The Fly' came out, I remember a local DJ [Dallas, TX] describing it as a song that would not have been out of place on Joshua Tree.
And I recall thinking "oh no, they are just resting on the formula that made them popular." How wrong did he turn out to be!?!?:lol::lol::lol:

By the way, before 'The Fly' came out, I remember a local DJ [Dallas, TX] describing it as a song that would not have been out of place on Joshua Tree.
And I recall thinking "oh no, they are just resting on the formula that made them popular." How wrong did he turn out to be!?!?:lol::lol::lol:

Ha, that's the strangest thing I've heard in awhile.

I gotta agree with Fanning on the fact that it takes a while to form solid opinions on U2 material. I wrote my own review for HTDAAB when it first came out and tore it to shreds, claiming that there were about 5 versions of "Miracle Drug" on the album and that there were only about 3 or 4 stand out tracks on it. About a month later, I wrote a completely new review on my feelings of the album and rated it much higher after the material sunk in some more (It is now my 4th favorite U2 album; just above the Joshua Tree). I love some of the hidden "gems" on that album, just like Fanning. Although, I can't speak as highly of Crumbs as he does.

The trilogy idea is weak, at best. Here is a band that pretty much can't go more than 2 or 3 albums without reinventing themselves. I fully expect NLOTH to be a departure (maybe not a huge one) from their last two. Lets hear the sound of 4 men Leaving the Bomb Behind

I gotta agree with Fanning on the fact that it takes a while to form solid opinions on U2 material. I wrote my own review for HTDAAB when it first came out and tore it to shreds, claiming that there were about 5 versions of "Miracle Drug" on the album and that there were only about 3 or 4 stand out tracks on it. About a month later, I wrote a completely new review on my feelings of the album and rated it much higher after the material sunk in some more (It is now my 4th favorite U2 album; just above the Joshua Tree). I love some of the hidden "gems" on that album, just like Fanning. Although, I can't speak as highly of Crumbs as he does.

The trilogy idea is weak, at best. Here is a band that pretty much can't go more than 2 or 3 albums without reinventing themselves. I fully expect NLOTH to be a departure (maybe not a huge one) from their last two. Lets hear the sound of 4 men Leaving the Bomb Behind

That's quite an interesting experience, and one that I am envious of. From what I've gathered from Interference over the years, most people have had something very close to the opposite experience of Bomb than the one you're describing. I was very excited about the material for the weeks and even months after it leaked/was released, but over 4 years later the dust has settled a bit and HTDAAB is easily one of my 2 least favorite U2 albums. Now, this isn't as bad as it sounds since I actually enjoy all of their albums including Passengers, but not much excites me about it these days.

Brilliant response.

Yeah, cause those albums were SO awful. :rolleyes:

Both albums that won numerous awards, from fans, fellow muscians and critics. They sold a combined 7.5 million copies in the U.S. during the peak of the illegal download years and over 21 million copies worldwide and produced wildly successful tours. Plus, the albums have some of U2's greatest material on it.

I'm not saying every song is great. I strongly disagree with Fanning regarding his comment about "A Man and a Woman". But I also feel some "off" songs are on JT as well.

Also, if we use that "trilogy" analogy, the final album in each trilogy shows tremendous leaps from the first album. This was true with songs from "War", R&H and "Pop", the previous "third albums in U2's trilogies", when compared to the first and second album in the "trilogies". I even felt this was true for HTDAAB compared to ATYCLB. "Bomb" showed some very innovative work, with songs like "Love & Peace" and "Fast Cars", sounds we hadn't heard from U2 before. Therefore, I would expect the same on NLOTH.

Lastly, remember that all bands have their own unique sound. U2 can experiment all they want, yet they will always have that U2 sound. "Mofo" wasn't the Chemical Brothers or Prodigy - but it was U2's version of that sound. It was still very U2, yet a very different U2 sound. "Fast Cars" was still very U2, yet also very Mediterranean. I expect more of this type of experimentation here - songs that are still U2 in sound, yet different for them. Other reviews have had more discussion regarding experimentation. I think Fanning is saying that here too - there's new layers and sonic arrangements, but it's still clear it's U2.

Remember, if it weren't for U2 having their own unique sound, AB wouldn't have produced "One" and "Zooropa" wouldn't have produced "Stay" - two of U2's more popular tracks. And what might sound like the "same old U2" to you or even Fanning could sound very different to someone else. I recall a roommate stating way back in 1988 how U2 sounded completely different on R&H compared to prior work! I wondered what that person thought of AB.

In other words, album reviews are a bit pointless as they are so subjective. But if NLOTH takes the best from ATYCLB and HTDAAB and throws in some new sounds, I know I'd be very happy.

Your initial review was accurate.

I've been saying this for as long as I can remember. I think I even mentioned it on this thread. The whole "trilogy" thing holds no water when talking about U2's albums.

I've been saying this for as long as I can remember. I think I even mentioned it on this thread. The whole "trilogy" thing holds no water when talking about U2's albums.

I'm not sure if it quite works out as "trilogies", but U2 quite clearly does go through phases with certain sounds. October doesn't fit next to Zooropa, but it does fit next to Boy. ATYCLB doesn't fit next to War, but it does fit next to HTDAAB. Passengers and (hopefully) NLOTH sort of fuck up the trilogy theory, but there is a pattern.

I'm not sure if it quite works out as "trilogies", but U2 quite clearly does go through phases with certain sounds. October doesn't fit next to Zooropa, but it does fit next to Boy. ATYCLB doesn't fit next to War, but it does fit next to HTDAAB. Passengers and (hopefully) NLOTH sort of fuck up the trilogy theory, but there is a pattern.

There's only a pattern if you're looking for it. I think too many people trying way too hard to see things are really aren't there.

U2 are one of the few bands who have such distinctly different sounding albums that almost sound at times like they were done by different bands. I totally agree that you can group a couple albums together here and there, but the fact that so many people want to lump their whole career into trilogies makes no sense if you really look at each album and each era.

Back
Top Bottom