Dating The New U2 News Threads

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm not sure what you mean. The date is on every post in every thread.

But if the date that this information was first posted were in the thread title it would serve to put things into perspective on how relevant that thread is. So that way a thread with the name NEW BEACHCLIPS! that is actually from say, 2006, wouldn't confuse some people who aren't exactly as with it and check the first post.

Just explaining, seems a decent enough idea, if a tad tedious

But if the date that this information was first posted were in the thread title it would serve to put things into perspective on how relevant that thread is. So that way a thread with the name NEW BEACHCLIPS! that is actually from say, 2006, wouldn't confuse some people who aren't exactly as with it and check the first post.

Just explaining, seems a decent enough idea, if a tad tedious

Exactly. I'm not suggesting going through every thread but at the least the important ones like those involving videos on U2.com, the beach clips and stuff like that. I suggest this as a lot of older threads from months ago get bumped.

The videos on U2.com get updated every now and then so they can be considered new. It's a little extreme I think to have to try to keep track of it and change the date every single time a new video gets put in there. The beach clips threads I try to edit them to take out 'new' from the title when they get older etc. If you want to post the threads here that you think should be changed as examples, feel free. If it makes sense to add a date, I dont have a problem with doing that. But this is not really something we have time to monitor on a regular basis. It can be hard enough to just keep up with and read all the threads being posted in those forums.

I can understand where you're coming from. If I see that the "new video on u2.com" thread has new posts on it, I may skip over it thinking that people are still replying to old conversations, or that the thread's devolved into some random tangent.

One option is to start a brand new thread each time a new video is posted (for example), dating the thread title, and dedicating all discussion in that thread solely to the idea that's first floated in that thread. The obstacles to this, however, would be that 1). there would be plenty of people complaining about the clutter of so many threads and asking that all somewhat related threads be merged, and 2). just about every thread ends up devloving into some tangential discussion anyway.

I think we're left with the least of all evils, which is just skimming through new posts in all the threads you might be remotely interested in. :sigh:

A handy option is the "View First Unread" link when you open a thread. Top left hand corner of the thread. It will take you right to the last spot you read, and therefore you will know what's new rather than having to search through the thread to find the last place you read.

^Definitely. I think, though, that Screwtape's concern is about making the decision whether or not to open a seemingly old thread at all.

I can understand where you're coming from. If I see that the "new video on u2.com" thread has new posts on it, I may skip over it thinking that people are still replying to old conversations, or that the thread's devolved into some random tangent.

One option is to start a brand new thread each time a new video is posted (for example), dating the thread title, and dedicating all discussion in that thread solely to the idea that's first floated in that thread. The obstacles to this, however, would be that 1). there would be plenty of people complaining about the clutter of so many threads and asking that all somewhat related threads be merged, and 2). just about every thread ends up devloving into some tangential discussion anyway.

I think we're left with the least of all evils, which is just skimming through new posts in all the threads you might be remotely interested in. :sigh:

I think it's kind of silly there is only one thread for every u2.com video. Are we now supposed to use this thread for every new u2.com video until the end of time? Each video has different content and such, why not separate threads to discuss them?

It's like FYM having a thread titled "New article on cnn.com!!" and then having to discuss every new article in the same thread.

Back
Top Bottom