Cricket Super Series-- Australia v World XI

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
A pretty exciting day, when they were actually playing.

At the current rate, Australia may only need another session and a half to win. It shouldn't take long.

cleazer said:
At the current rate, Australia may only need another session and a half to win. It shouldn't take long.
and there you go

Australia obviously had something to prove, and perhaps the World XI was a little "unmotivated" by England's win in the Ashes.

Lap it up Australia.

Around November you should start coming up with excuses as to why the "Best Team In The World At Both Forms Of The Game Ever In The Universal Galaxy Of Cricket" lost to New Zealand. Bowler Friendly pitches is always a fun one (distinct of course to the legspinner friendly cake cooked up for Sydney). Somthing about a long season too might come in handy... somthing about not enough rest time.

Now who wants the honour of giving this idea the full-flush treatment?

Timothius, I used to really like coming to these cricket threads. It was actually my favourite part of interference, but I'm sorry to say that the continual and repetitive sledging has worn very thin. I don't mind a bit of friendly rivalry, some good natured bagging and love a good competition but bad sportsmanship is "just not cricket".

:(

Tania said:
Timothius, I used to really like coming to these cricket threads. It was actually my favourite part of interference, but I'm sorry to say that the continual and repetitive sledging has worn very thin. I don't mind a bit of friendly rivalry, some good natured bagging and love a good competition but bad sportsmanship is "just not cricket".

When I adress Australia... I refer to "The Australian Cricket Team", not yourself. Just incase there was confusion.

I'm sorry if it frustrates you to read this. But I have a very clear issue with the pool of 25 players and officials who comprise the Australian Cricket Team. Their arrogant & ignorant outlook on the game of cricket and their place in it is hurting our game .

I love this game so much and it hurts me each time one of them opens their mouth to hear the arrogant self promotion that spills from their mouth. It hurts me each time Ricky Ponting unashamedly abuses umpires, players and spectators. It hurts me each time cricket is splashed across the front pages for all the wrong reasons, drugs, drunken nights out, match-fixing.

The current Australian team, is one of individuals. They each project themselves as invidivudals rather than members of a team. It has been happening ever since the Taylor era.

It makes me sad, because I recall watching NZ vs Australia 1993/4 as a child with such joy. It was played as a game, the way it was supposed to be played - and it still is played that way by every test playing nations bar one.

My thoughts on cricket will now be confined to the African Safari thread, so if you wish not to read them then you are probably best not to switch over there.

Just to restate, my "sledging" (a term and skill ironically perfected by the very team in question) is confined to the pool of players and officials that make up the Australian cricket team. Here is an article I posted earlier... this how 99% of the cricketing world outside Australia think...

http://content-aus.cricinfo.com/columns/content/story/221812.html

Final point...

During the West Indies & South African series I will be much more "pleasant".

It is this "we are the best in the world ever at both forms of the game" talk which the players and media have been talking about that frustrates me no end. :sigh:

Peace if it came of personally on anyone here.

Last edited:
timothius said:
Lap it up Australia.

Around November you should start coming up with excuses as to why the "Best Team In The World At Both Forms Of The Game Ever In The Universal Galaxy Of Cricket" lost to New Zealand. Bowler Friendly pitches is always a fun one (distinct of course to the legspinner friendly cake cooked up for Sydney). Somthing about a long season too might come in handy... somthing about not enough rest time.

Now who wants the honour of giving this idea the full-flush treatment?

Tim, I'm going to be Frank.

frank moment coming up:

:hug: Frank :hug:

You used to bother me a great deal on here. Silly, I know. And judgemental on my behalf based on a few silly threads. I used to find your repetitive bashing of this country and everything we do utterly ridiculous and painful to read. I reflected it completely back on you. As a kiwi, I didn't really understand why you did this. I've never seen that much of a difference between mine and yours. If anything, I see NZ as a very worthy equal to Australia in many things, and most certainly us being equal to you in return. Some things you do much better in, like being a much more open minded bunch - true liberal, if you like. We seemed a little ahead in sport, but overall, who was counting the differences when we're neighbours and friends? I totally didn't understand where you were coming from. Someone very wise told me to lighten up and take it all with a grain of salt. I gritted my teeth and ignored your posts which made my skin crawl and latched onto those which made me laugh or smile or whatever other nice response where you were postig in threads of similar interests. As time went on, I realised I'd calmed down. It was all ok. I began noticing your relentless bashing again after some more time passed, but I'd begun to see you as more than an anti Australian. Unfortunately, you dont know when to stop and I'm going back to where I was originally. I'm not telling you all this because my opinion of you is important. What should be important to you is how you portray yourself to others in general. It should concern you. And buddy, I want to tell you to shut the hell up. Really badly. If you were a complete arsehole I'd just say "Shut the fuck up mate, and leave these fucking threads alone if they bother you. Or better yet, piss of back to NZ if that will take the sneer off your mug". But I wont, because you've been cool before. I am sure you can do it again. I for one and sick of avoiding these threads because your attitude is sprayed all over. I've been watching cricket all my life like most of us in here. Perhaps it is time you considered how rude this appears and amend your delivery? Because, in regard to the cricket, it doesn't matter if we win or lose. We all have to read through your shit to get any decent discussion about the sport going. When we win 'we're gloating and lucky' and whatever other insults you have. When we lose, you gloat so unsportsmanly, it pains me. Truly. Now we have pre-emptive gloating in advance. Just stop. For fucks sake. Please.

:slant:

I haven't taken it as you saying "Australian's" rather than the "Australian Cricket Team", so no confusion there.

I am not saying that you are not entitled to your opinion. I am not saying that you are not right (maybe you are, maybe you aren't), personnally I take a lot of what the media says with a "huge" grain of salt having previously watched someone close to me be completely misquoted and misrepresented in the national newspapers (and yes it was the sports pages and no it wasn't Shane Warne :lol:).

I take issue with your last post as, to me, it appears to be the very same thing you are accusing the Australian Cricket Team of, ie arrogance and bad sportsmanship, which makes me sad as I quite enjoyed the discussions between the various "countries" on this thread.

(The post about "Lap it up Australia" is being referred to in my last paragraph).

Last edited:
Angela Harlem said:
Agh, You posted while I did. Nevermind.

Your post was good too read.

I liked the first part (apart from the better than sport part) a lot more than the second part better obviously.

I honestly can't recall going off onto off-topic abuse of Australia. I try to keep it on topic, cricket related and my honest feelings - I would think we should all do the same thing.

Unless we are dealing with a major issue (Pontings tantrum in the Ashes) or Australia's continual gloating at being the best in the world despite reason... my comments are good natured. But as you say they all reflect on me - I should watch that.

I do disagree with you saying that I "spray my shit" all over the thread. As my "shit" is all on topic, if you disagree, then say so... tell me why I am wrong - it creates discussion. I'm not one to just spout off "talking points" without evidence, I'm open to lively conversation on cricket, and maybe that may prevent this build-up that seems to occour.

Anyway don't think I don't have issues with you.

You still haven't made that Hunters And Collectors thread like you said you would. :wink:

... what in the world happened since I was last in this part of the Interference woods?

I feel I must come to Timo's defence here. He has, I believe, generally been more favourable towards Australia than I have, and yet he is the one that takes the hammering. I've seen this guy make a list of things he likes about Australia that's about 4-5x the size of mine. And when it comes to Australian cricket, the guy backs up his statements and I certainly don't see a rude attitude that'd take away from the enjoyment of the thread - then again, maybe it's just because I agree with him.

In any case, I'm just going to step out here and find a happier thread ...

(Oh yeah, and the World XI are a disgrace, plain and simple. I'm not even interested in this test, my enthusiasm's just dried up.)

timothius said:
Back to discussion post:

Do any of you think that this series was a worthwhile exercise? :shrug:

Total waste. All it proved is that Australia can flog a team that didn't even seem to care about anything but their paycheck.

Axver said:
... what in the world happened since I was last in this part of the Interference woods?

I feel I must come to Timo's defence here. He has, I believe, generally been more favourable towards Australia than I have, and yet he is the one that takes the hammering. I've seen this guy make a list of things he likes about Australia that's about 4-5x the size of mine. And when it comes to Australian cricket, the guy backs up his statements and I certainly don't see a rude attitude that'd take away from the enjoyment of the thread - then again, maybe it's just because I agree with him.

In any case, I'm just going to step out here and find a happier thread ...

(Oh yeah, and the World XI are a disgrace, plain and simple. I'm not even interested in this test, my enthusiasm's just dried up.)

Thanks (I think... are you accusing me of liking Australia more than you or being more reasonable that you? :wink: ).

The happier thread is just below you. :drool:

timothius said:

Thanks (I think... are you accusing me of liking Australia more than you or being more reasonable that you? :wink: ).

The happier thread is just below you. :drool:

More reasonable. Us, like Australia? :wink:

By the way, seen your e-mail inbox lately?

IMO a one dayer should happen between the "Rest Of The World" and either the previous World Cup winner or Number 1 ranked team before the ICC Knockout Tournament (which is held every 4 years).

That way everyone is in season, in one place... and it is a good way to kick of an otherwise struggling element of the ICC calandar.

It should not be granted ODI or Test Status.

These games (and the Tsunami game) are going to be the bane of many a statistician for years to come. :sigh:

timothius said:
Do any of you think that this series was a worthwhile exercise? :shrug:
I tend to think that the Rest Of World players would have been a bit more motivated to beat Australia if England hadn't already proven them to be beatable just beforehand.

Also, one thing that makes the Ashes so great is the whole history behind it. Right now, there is no history for the Super Series. None of today's players grew up dreaming of being part of a World XI. However, perhaps in 4 or 8 or 12 years, we'll have a whole new set of players, some of which may one day dream of being part of such an illustrious group.

Stop laughing at me, I'm serious.

As of right now, there's no motivation. But who knows what the future may change? What if England knocks Australia out of the #1 test spot? There might be a whole ton of pissed off Australians on the World team looking for revenge.

dog_welcome.gif

A peace offering.

timothius said:

Your post was good too read.

I liked the first part (apart from the better than sport part) a lot more than the second part better obviously.

I honestly can't recall going off onto off-topic abuse of Australia. I try to keep it on topic, cricket related and my honest feelings - I would think we should all do the same thing.

Unless we are dealing with a major issue (Pontings tantrum in the Ashes) or Australia's continual gloating at being the best in the world despite reason... my comments are good natured. But as you say they all reflect on me - I should watch that.

I do disagree with you saying that I "spray my shit" all over the thread. As my "shit" is all on topic, if you disagree, then say so... tell me why I am wrong - it creates discussion. I'm not one to just spout off "talking points" without evidence, I'm open to lively conversation on cricket, and maybe that may prevent this build-up that seems to occour.

Anyway don't think I don't have issues with you.

You still haven't made that Hunters And Collectors thread like you said you would. :wink:

I'm on a Shonky Bros internet connection here at work, lol, so I hope this posts.
Just to clarify, it seems that overall you dont want to ever speak fairly about us in sport, never (even begrudgingly) admitting we might play something well, or win fairly etc. This is partly why things get difficult though, because quite a lot of the time I agree with your criticisms of us. My personal view is Ponting is a shoddy captain - tania will jump on my case now, lol, but that's the gist of it. I've whinged before quite a lot how cricket died on it's arse when we had that ridiculously long winning streak. We have some dickheads playing for us and some even stupider people in the media commenting and feeding this tall poppy syndrome. Anyway...I think you even summed it up, you or Axver, about loving this game more than you can say, or something. That's what it's about. Loving the sport, not hating us (the team).

Anyway, dont want to go on and on about this. I want us to have fun :)
And I will make that thread, I promise. I've got to make some time and it will be done :D Especially knowing someone, BEG? , knows of a Dame Edna cover :lol: It's like when Rolf Harris did Stairway To Heaven with a washboard/seeing a car accident.

And one more, if I piss you off, please say something.
:)

I love dog, I love Footrot flats. :drool:

When the real Horse died, a part of me died too. :sad:

(Sad drunken ramblings, back to the cricket. :lmao: :)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom