Community

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Finished all the s2 commentaries. Really insightful stuff and often very funny particularly whenever Donald Glover was in the room.

The cast & crew's commitment to this show is unbelievable - they were doing 18-hour days throughout the 11-day shoot for paintball :ohmy: there would have had to have been some serious amphetamines floating around, surely.

Like all the 'off' episodes this season, it was still hilarious, but the writing (meaning set up and transition) was weak. Also, I agree with whoever said there should have been some more normal episodes between this and Advanced Chaos Theory. We haven't had any real character driven material in a long time now.

"Why are you always trying to lull us into putting down our weapons?"

What was weak about it, if I may ask that of you all?

I'd like to know your opinions of the ending too, with Abed's test being the only normal one. I quite liked that (probably the Friends-loving side of me coming out) but I've seen some negative reactions online.

The writing has just been awkward in episodes like this and the Model UN one, we're just haphazardly dropped into the story, and the plot isn't connected to anything beyond the moment, that and with the exception of the one conversation between Annie and Jeff at the end of the UN episode, they haven't included any relevant character substance. Again, I accept the special episodes, but to me they needed a character driven buffer between such episodes. Hell, even Chaos Theory managed to say a lot about the character despite 90% of it not counting anyway.

Like I said though, it never fails to make me crack up more than anything else on TV, but it's been back and forth on the overall quality spectrum this year for me. Bio 101, Competitive Ecology and Advanced Chaos Theory are great, those in between entertaining but could have been better.

Oh, but the Dean as the devil was pretty special, :lol:.

"And then he CHAINSAWED them again, forever"

The writing has just been awkward in episodes like this and the Model UN one, we're just haphazardly dropped into the story, and the plot isn't connected to anything beyond the moment, that and with the exception of the one conversation between Annie and Jeff at the end of the UN episode, they haven't included any relevant character substance. Again, I accept the special episodes, but to me they needed a character driven buffer between such episodes. Hell, even Chaos Theory managed to say a lot about the character despite 90% of it not counting anyway.

Like I said though, it never fails to make me crack up more than anything else on TV, but it's been back and forth on the overall quality spectrum this year for me. Bio 101, Competitive Ecology and Advanced Chaos Theory are great, those in between entertaining but could have been better.

I see. I guess shit like that doesn't bother me as it does you (plural) when the episodes in and of themselves are as funny as Horror Fiction was. And I am extra forgiving because the writing on this show is usually of an exceptional standard, so one week we might get an episode like Horror Fiction and then the next we might get one like Environmental Science, which was more character-driven and affecting. I know where you're coming from though - I've had the same problem with much of HIMYM over the past few seasons.

Spoilers for coming eps from wikipedia.

Advanced Gay - Pierce is excited about a party he's throwing to celebrate his business success, but the affair becomes very different when his elderly father arrives.

Studies in Modern Movement - The group tries to help Annie move in with Troy and Abed but things go awry when she becomes frustrated by their lifestyle; Dean Pelton blackmails Jeff into spending the afternoon with him.

Documentary Film Making: Redux - Dean Pelton is asked by the school board to film a new commercial for Greendale; Abed films all the activities for a documentary. Luis Guzman guest stars as himself.

Interesting to see Abed's "you should move in here" resulted in something more than an awkward silence and that they're doing documentary again.

Oh I'm forgiving as well, like I said, they've never failed to entertain me, but I hold this show to be the heir apparent to Scrubs, mixing ridiculous/all over the place humor with character depth/drama every week. So, I want them to keep to that standard.

The thought occurred watching the Gay Bash that it seemed the show was going a bit stereotypical, but then I realized I've never been to a gay bash.

This was a funny episode, and it pushed the characters around a bit so it felt like a worthwhile story. But I didn't like the actor who played Pierce's dad. Maybe it was the hairpiece.

They may cost more, but they're gayer.

The last minute or so, with Chang going "going home alone Winger? GAY!" and the tag, made me laugh harder than probably anything I've ever laughed at in this entire series.

Wow, I haven't even had time to catch up with y'all on last week's awesome ep & this week's blows that away. Too tired now though.

"Tweeting it!"

Is it just me or is Pierce the secret MVP of this season?

They've never known what to do with Shirley. Yeah, she's still lost, but at least there's not something as retarded as the pregnancy thing going on.

Rewatching season 2 on DVD that didn't bother me as much. Andre was such a great addition to the cast and the ep where she gave birth was hilarious.

Btw, did I hear Dean Craig say "don't let the terrorists win!" ?

Yes he did. I wish Andre was on this season. One of the flaws they've had is that despite all the character development we see each one of them revert to how they were at the start of the show far too often. Shirley caring to the point of judgement on the religious side, Britta the same on the free spirit side; Annie as uptight over achiever that doesn't know how to fit in or whether to act like a kid or an adult; and especially Jeff this week as pompous manipulative ass, though he payed for it dearly, and there could be a lot more to it than reversion w/ the idea that he's in therapy. Granted change isn't completely linear, but sometimes it comes off like plots were written out of order.

Shirley was fucking hilarious in the car with Britta. Her expressions alone make her a worthwhile character. Any group-shot in any episode, Shirley's reactions are wonderful.

I laughed so hard during these last 2 episodes. Advanced Gay easily has made my Top 5.

(I need to rewatch the first 2 seasons. Maybe a Christmas marathon :hmm: )

Yeah the body language of both of them in the hitchhiker scene was just amazing. I love Shirley, it's just that too often they write her so thin she comes off as an offensive stereotype. But Yvette Nicole Brown does more with what little bones she's thrown most weeks than anyone could.

kramwest1 said:
Shirley was fucking hilarious in the car with Britta. Her expressions alone make her a worthwhile character. Any group-shot in any episode, Shirley's reactions are wonderful.

I laughed so hard during these last 2 episodes. Advanced Gay easily has made my Top 5.

Totally agreed. I was almost in years many times, particularly when the karaoke and the video clip took up again when Craig and Jeff were wrestling.

That whole exchange with the hitchhiker was brilliant, so funny that he was religious at first, and then supported marijuana, and then turned out to be just weird.

Is it just me or is Allison Brie the most attractive girl in the history of the world?

Christ on a bike...

Is it just me or is Allison Brie the most attractive girl in the history of the world?

Christ on a bike...

I'm not quite sure what you are talking about. :shrug:

1312456170702.gif

:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom