Cat people: have you ever seen this?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cydewaze

Refugee
My kitty's eyes are all funky. The pupil in one eye looks to by opened a normal rate, but the pupil in the other eye is just a slit. It was like this yesterday, and is still like this today!

She's otherwise acting normal, and sleeping and eating as usual.

:scratch:

Thanks Sicy. I read that web page, but Cricket doesn't really have any of those symptoms (watery eyes, discharge, swelling, etc). Her pupils are just opened a different amount. It's weird.

I think I might take her to the vet before Jess comes home. :hmm:

cydewaze said:
Thanks Sicy. I read that web page, but Cricket doesn't really have any of those symptoms (watery eyes, discharge, swelling, etc). Her pupils are just opened a different amount. It's weird.

I think I might take her to the vet before Jess comes home. :hmm:

I would take her to the vet, if not for Cricket's sake, for your's. Face it, if anything happens to that cat while in your care, you're gonna be in the doghouse, buster! :wink:

Cricket!

IMGP1318.jpg

Imgp1323.jpg

Here's what I'm taking about with the eyes:

cateyes.jpg

Notice the pupils.

I swung by the vet to ask about it, but they were closed. :down:

:( Get your kitty to the vet, sweetie. One of our cats, Puffin, had a similar problem which developed into conjunctivitis - the vet gave him antibiotics for a week and Puff was fine.

cats apparently (bls might correct me if i'm wrong) have 7 eyelids (or maybe it's a different number lol) and they all work to keep the cat's vision clear and eyeballs moist. as you prolly know, pupils react to light and a slitted pupil means the cat is seeing or taking in a lot of light in that eye, like a human's, so it will shrink to minimise the refraction in the eyeball. judging from that pic and cricket being indoors, the pupil should be larger as in an inside environment in normal circumstances a cat will have a large clear healthy pupil as it needs to extract as much like as it can from an artificially darker environment. due to there being no weeping or discharge, it looks good on the odds it isn't a serious infection. but it could be a problem with one/or more of cricket's eyelids not opening properly, hence the eye 'thinking' it needs to dilate to let more light in.

Woah @ that pic.. now I understand what you were talking about. I thought you were referring to her eyelids for some reason.
I have never seen anything like that. :huh:
I would definately get the vets opinion.
Let us know what they say!

Thanks for the input on the eyes thing. If the vet is open tomorrow, she's going in. I was thinking that something might be going on inside the eye to make it more light sensitive, and that's why the pupil's closing up.

We'll see what the vet says. Let's just hope they do Sundays.

Whoa!! That's crazy! I was going to say, last week my Beckham keep closing one eye all the time and keeping it closed, but that's nothing like how those pupils look.

If the vet's not open tomorrow, you could PM Beth (bonosloveslave). She's a vet and works at a cat hospital.

Last edited:
Now you've got me curious so I did some Googling....

Uneven pupil size:

Q: Dear Dr. Mike, My cat's pupils are not the same size; the left pupil appears to be larger than the right. I've heard this can have a number of explanations, one of them possibly being leukemia, although I have had him tested recently. Would you be able to tell me what some of the causes may be for different sized pupils on a cat? Thank You.

A: Uneven pupil size can occur for several reasons. An injury to the cornea of the eye with the smaller pupil is possible. Uveitis (inflammation of the eye) can cause the pupil in the affected eye to be smaller. Horner's syndrome is a neurologic disorder that makes the pupil of the affected eye smaller. Feline leukemia can cause pupillary spasms, also resulting in a difference in size of the pupils. Central nervous system injury can lead to difference is pupil size and in this case, the eye with the larger pupil is often the affected one.

A corneal ulcer often causes the cat to hold the eye partially shut. The normally clear cornea may be gray where the injury is, but it may remain clear. Some cats will avoid light when they have corneal ulcers. In many instances it is necessary to instill fluoroscein dye in the eye to make a corneal ulcer show up. The dye sticks to the damaged area. Anytime you suspect a corneal ulcer, the eye should be examined as quickly as possible.

Feline leukemia may affect the pupil size without any other visible disease or there may be signs of lethargy, depression, inappetance or signs of a generalized illness.

In Horner's syndrome, the third eyelid is usually at least partially visible in the affected eye and often covers 1/3rd to 1/2 of the eye. The eye may appear to be sunken into the socket. Horner's syndrome happens because there is injury to the sympathetic nerve to the eye. This can happen anywhere along the nerve's course and it courses from the brain down the neck, through the chest and back to the eye. So injury to the neck, chest or brain can lead to signs. A tumor in the chest can cause pressure on the nerve and produce signs. This syndrome also occurs in feline leukemia virus infected cats because chest tumors are more common in these cats. Horner's syndrome will sometimes appear for no apparent reason and then disappear in a few weeks. Gomez might be able to tell you what happened if he could talk -- a neck injury, bite wound or something like this are likely causes that could be easily missed.

There are probably a number of other reasons for uneven pupil size that I can't remember at the current time.

Your vet can help you distinguish between these problems. Sometimes, it is necessary to refer a patient to a veterinary ophthamologist or neurologist for a more definitive diagnosis.

Mike Richards, DVM

oh my, i hope cricket's ok. :(

gah, she's so cute and fat and fluffy i want to squish her. (in a good, huggy way.)

Hmmmm, there are things that rule out each one of those. She's not avoiding sunlight (she was sleeping in a patch that was shining through the window yesterday), she's eating and acting normally, and I've inspected her eyes, and there's no swelling or signs of another eyelid.

Unfortunately, it looks like it's going to have to wait until Monday. :( From the vet's website:

Hours of Operation:
Monday Tuesday Wednesday Friday 8:00Am-7:00Pm

Thursday 8:30Am-5:00Pm

Saturday 9:00Am-01:00Pm

:angry:

Yeah most vets arent open on Sundays :slant:

Well as long as she's eating/drinking etc ok she should be ok till Monday.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom