Brand New Premiership Thread 06/07

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jimmmm said:
Newcastle seem to be turning things round lately, anybody think they have a chance in the UEFA Cup?

Perhaps. Martins is looking good at the moment and they still have players to come back from injury. Although i must say although they beat liverpool yesterday, their defence will always be a problem area and that could be the difference between them progressing and falling at the next hurdle. My money for the UEFA cup will probably be on Werder Bremen or Sevilla.

jimmmm said:
1Step, Re, The UNITED thing, I suppose for me, & maybe for other UNITED fans on other message boards, it goes back to the '70's,& maybe even earlier than that, when I were nowt but a lad, one of the chants heard more often than others around OT was, "There's only 1 UNITED" & its stuck with me ever since, no doubt fans of other united's, leeds, Sheff, Newc etc, will think we're a bunch of arrogant F%$£ers, but thats what football rivalry's all about, isn't it?

I must admit if i was a leeds or newcastle fan or whatever, seeing that all the time would do my head in after a while! But where i'm from i'm surrounded by the likes of albion, city and wanderers and anyone else who embarrasses themselves week in week out in the name of midlands football. No united's in sight for me!

Disclaimer: Technically this is not true as i can see Elland Road from my bedroom window during term time at Uni however i am not from Yorkshire and have not lived here for a long period of time either so they do not count.

Could anybody else spot the difference between the Heskey pen. incident yesterday, & the one at West Ham, on sat?

I really did feel sorry for Wigan/Jewell testerday, first the pen incident, then the player not being allowed on, don't get me wrong I'm not saying Arse are the only big club to benefit from dubious decisions, heaven knows in recent seasons United have, ones that immediately spring to my mind are the Spurs "GOAL" how on earth anybody could have missed that, & another when IMO Burton Albion had 1 of the most stone cold certain penalties ever turned down, & United were awarded a free-kick, even when it benefits United I hate to see what IMO are obvious decisions not given to "smaller" clubs.

And what compounds the bad decisions even more is the refs. attitude afterwards, when confronted by an understanably irate manager, there almost contemptuous disregard of the incident, the infuriating way they wave said managers away, don't they realise managers jobs are on the line, & those decisions go a long way to a lot of managers losing their jobs.

FULHAM PRICES - PROTEST
United supporters (led by MUST patron Pete Boyle) are asking fellow
supporters travelling to Fulham(A) to make a stand against unfair pricing
of United away tickets.

You may have seen the following story in the press:

UNITED FANS PLAN FULHAM PROTEST

Manchester United fans are planning to stage a protest against ticket
prices when they visit Fulham in February.

United supporters are being urged to spend nothing once they get inside
Craven Cottage after learning they must fork out £45 each for adult tickets
that were sold for £10 apiece to Wigan fans when they visited earlier in
the season.

£35 difference is just F&*%ing daylight robbery, I think I'd go one further than Boyley, & tell fans to boycott the match full stop, its the only kind of language the faceless money men running the game will listen to!

fuckin hell, £45, that's awful. i've never been to an away game but with a ticket hike like that i certainly wouldn't be tempted to go to one. Obviously Man United are the big draw and that kind of price rise wouldn't apply to villa but the point still stands that fans simply won't want to pay those kinds of prices when they know that fans of other teams get to pay considerably less for the same experience.

Something does need to be done about that.

I felt sorry for wigan yesterday, they were really hard done by, and as paul jewell said, those decisions made by the ref could come back to haunt them at the end of the season. Had the penalty been given and they'd taken 3 points they would have been 8 points ahead of west ham with a game in hand. An almost unassailable lead.

Sad, but inevitable,

Wigan Athletic manager Paul Jewell has been charged with improper conduct by The Football Association.

No doubt, Dowd will be free to fuck up another club, this coming weekend!

Liverpool duo Steven Gerrard and Jamie Carragher are to join David Beckham in representing Europe for next month's celebration game against Manchester United at Old Trafford.

Marcello Lippi is to take charge of the Europe XI, who face United in a match to commemorate the 50th anniversary of the club's first participation in European competition and of a united Europe.

Beckham's return to Old Trafford on 13th March is sure to occupy plenty of column inches, with the Real Madrid midfielder having spoken of a willingness to play in a game that will see all of the proceeds going to charity.

"I'm happy to know I'm going to play on 13th March," said Beckham. "It will be something special to go back to Old Trafford and I'm really looking forward to it."

Whatever has happened since he left OT, I hope, & Am sure Beckham will recieve a fantastic welcome that night, I've always said, whilst at United he was undoubtedly 1 of the greatest players to ever wear the shirt.
It would also be nice to see SAF, bury the hatchet, & shake hands withBecks, not too sure that will happen though.

jimmmm said:
[B

No doubt, Dowd will be free to fuck up another club, this coming weekend! [/B]

Just tuned into 'Boro v Bristol C. & guess who's the ref. Watch out Bristol, chances are you'll get shafted 1 way or another!

Just come back from one of the best matches I have ever seen at the "Bok." Hoarse, knackered and gutted. Gonna be in a bad mood all day tomorrow now. I'm going to bed in a sulk. :grumpy:

Unlucky ormy, i know how it feels.

The most gutting match i've been to was the villa - blues derby from about 3 years ago. We were 2-0 up and they made it 2-1 then they got an equaliser in the 94th minute. Finished 2-2 but felt like we'd lost :(

Was even worse that it was against the most hated rivals. And on the way back we had to walk past a 50 or so strong bunch of burberry-clad birmingham city supporting neanderthals chanting "2-0, and you fucked it up" :mad:

Still, i suppose when you've seen your team go through bad patches it makes the good ones feel so much better.

another wonderful (read: woeful) performance by darren 'useless' fletcher this weekend. why the hell is he anywhere near manchester united.:mad:

nice goal by carrick, shame we cant defend a corner though:down:

1stepcloser said:
Unlucky ormy, i know how it feels.

The most gutting match i've been to was the villa - blues derby from about 3 years ago. We were 2-0 up and they made it 2-1 then they got an equaliser in the 94th minute. Finished 2-2 but felt like we'd lost :(

Was even worse that it was against the most hated rivals. And on the way back we had to walk past a 50 or so strong bunch of burberry-clad birmingham city supporting neanderthals chanting "2-0, and you fucked it up" :mad:

Still, i suppose when you've seen your team go through bad patches it makes the good ones feel so much better.

Was that the same season Peter Enckelmann scored the worst own goal in history?

Oh dear, oh dear, looks like a typical merseydive knees-up.....

By Editor Sunday 18th February 2007

Craig 'golf club attack on Riise' Bellamy,

* The NOTW and the People claim that all is not happy in the Scouse House:

The Screws:

A FUN sing-song turned into a vicious punch-up as Liverpool ace Craig Bellamy saw red and waded into team-mate John Arne Riise in a drunken rage.

eye witness says the feuding Premiership stars:

TRADED INSULTS during a bar's karaoke contest when Riise refused to take the stage,

SCREAMED ABUSE as they faced each other toe to toe,

TOTTERED back to their training camp base at 2am,

FOUGHT in a hotel as Bellamy lashed out at Riise's £5 million legs with a golf club, until the pair were

SEPARATED by head coach Rafael Benitez.

The outrage has massive implications for both players and the club, who have just been taken over by new American owners.

Tycoon co-chairmen George Gillett and Tom Hicks who invested £470 million were said to be furious that their name has been dragged through the mud just before a vital Champions League clash with Barcelona on Wednesday—their most important match this year.

Insiders have predicted it could spell the end of 27-year-old bad boy Bellamy's career at Anfield.

yertle-the-turtle said:

Was that the same season Peter Enckelmann scored the worst own goal in history?

No that was the season before. And technically Enckelmann didn't score the own goal as he didn't make contact with the ball, it was from Mellbergs throw in.

i got lots of jibes and wind-ups from my cousins and family friends after that match but i had the last laugh when gary cahills scissor kick effectively relegated birmingham last season. What goes around comes around eh!

Disappointing, but not totally unexpected, from BBC Sport...

Larsson snubs Man Utd extension

Henrik Larsson will not extend his loan period at Manchester United and is set to leave the club next month.
The 35-year-old Swedish striker, who began his loan spell with the Premiership leaders in January, will return to Helsingborg on 12 March.

C/L kicks off again tonight, predictions anyone? I'm going for.....

Tuesday, 20 February 2007
UEFA Champions League
Celtic 2 AC Milan 0
Lille 1 Man Utd 1
PSV 1 Arsenal 2
Real Madrid 1 Bayern Munich 1

& tomorrow,

Wednesday, 21 February 2007
UEFA Champions League
Barcelona 3 Liverpool 0
FC Porto 0 Chelsea 1 Inter Milan 2 Valencia 0
Roma 1 Lyon 2

no real big surprises today, except arsenal's defeat at the hands of psv.

arsenal is just impossible to predict this year.

and on another note, if today's performance doesn't help beckham's chances into getting back into the england squad i don't know what will.

speaking of which...

when exactly is theo gonna turn into the supastah everyone predicted he'd become??

Wow 4 out of 4 wrong last night, even by my tipping standards thats.
It would seem as though a certain part of france has never heard of Hillsborough, the french old bill steaming into United fans as some were trying to get out of an overcrowded stand, & then showering them with tear gas, well done PLOD! & then as if to compound matters lille threaten a walk out, & United players are pelted with missiles, lets ALL be honest about this, if those scenes happened at ANY English stadium, UEFA would have acted before midnight to lob the English club out, one rule for one, & another for the rest? Cynical, Moi?
I do personally think lille's goal should have stood, but that doesn't excuse the actions later, UEFA HAVE GOT to act swiftly, & harshly!

If UEFA swallow this SHIT, all hope is LOST...

Puel defends Lille actions
By Mark Buckingham - Created on 21 Feb 2007

Claude Puel insists his Lille players were not intending to walk off during the defeat to Manchester United.

So WTF were they doing, going for a slice of orange! Platini has got his first major decision to make, he'd better not show any home bias!

To threaten to walk off the pitch is so childish and petulant i think that Platini has to give some sort of punishment towards Lille. I can understand that they feel a bit aggreived because they deserved to get something out of that match. I can also empathise with how pissed off they are with Uniteds goal as Thierry Henry did it at Villa Park a couple of seasons ago and it's very frustrating. However it is the rules, i personally think it's a stupid rule and that football should be played to the whistle but that's a different argument.

Walking off the pitch and then throwing missiles at the united players is absolutely shameful and they did it on the biggest club stage of all and in the biggest game of their history. And i haven't even mentioned their incompetence in sorting out the away fans end...

It has been alleged that Lille officials are ready to file a protest and if this does indeed prove to be the case, then Uefa is ready to rule on the issue this coming Friday.

So its not just wenger, & henry who are totally ungracious in defeat, it would seem to be a national pastime!!!

massive win for liverpool today. i think it's fair to say barca are in disarray at the moment...

speaking of being hard to predict, liverpool haven't been a lot easier to figure out if they're gonna forward a superb or dreadful side.

Well done Liverpool, brilliant result. I found myself cheering liverpool on towards the end of that match, which is something i never normally do. Seemed like the barca players were complaining a lot during the game and i don't really want them to win the tournament again.

After the first 20 mins i though liverpool were going to take a battering but credit to them, they fought back really well. Bellamy played very well too.

Sometimes they play really poorly in the league but liverpool just seem to have this European pedigree that gives them an super-human ability to beat teams that on paper are clearly better than them. I wish the england team had that!

england's problem is the opposite... on paper people think they're better than the opposing sides, but they almost never play to their potential.

...or maybe they're just not as good as we think they should be. :|

Back
Top Bottom